Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alfa164
Topic Author

Russian Hackers Are Trying to Steal Coronavirus Vaccine Research

Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Considering their history, this may come as no surprise, but Russian hackers - coming for the State-sponsored Russian intelligence services - have been caught trying to steal Coronavirus vaccine research materials from labs in Great Britain, Canada, and the U.S.A.

"The Russian hackers have targeted British, Canadian and American organizations using malware and sending fraudulent emails to try to trick people into turning over passwords and other security credentials, all in an effort to access the research as well as information about medical supply chains."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/us/p ... ussia.html
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

einsteinboricua

Re: Russian Hackers Are Trying to Steal Coronavirus Vaccine Research

Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:13 pm

Ah...Trump will ask Putin if he's doing it, Putin will say "no" and nothing of importance will happen.

In the meantime, I'm confident the Senate will carry out its duties and get to the bottom of it by confirming more judges and open a Burisma committee.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Dutchy

Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:43 pm

Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told RIA Novosti that Russia does not have any information about who could hack pharmaceutical companies and research centers in the UK.

“We can say one thing – Russia has nothing to do with these attempts,” he said.

Link to the propaganda site RT

So the Kremlin denied it, of course. Is anyone truly surprised by the heck. and the denyal?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dieuwer

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:00 pm

I don't understand why they would hack this. Could they not have simply asked nicely for the vaccine if it becomes available?

fr8mech

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:52 am

First, not surprised.

Second, as I recall, the Russians (Soviets) played a big part in the testing of the polio vaccine. Of course, it was "here, take this vaccine" or you won't need one, but, it's arguably the Sabin's vaccine would have come several years later had the Soviets not "helped".

Next, why is this vaccine not being "crowd-sourced", for lack of a better term? This is a global pandemic, and say what you want about the Russians, they are not scientific slouches.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

einsteinboricua

Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:24 am

fr8mech wrote:
Second, as I recall, the Russians (Soviets) played a big part in the testing of the polio vaccine. Of course, it was "here, take this vaccine" or you won't need one, but, it's arguably the Sabin's vaccine would have come several years later had the Soviets not "helped".

They also were the ones who proposed getting rid of smallpox and launch a worldwide vaccine drive. It's suspected, however, that it was so they could weaponize the virus and that once a country stopped vaccination and war broke out, smallpox would be part of the bioweapon arsenal. That's why, after the Soviet Union collapsed, there was such a concern about smallpox, especially because even though officially the virus resides in VECTOR and the CDC, it's not known if some of the bioweapon material managed to escape and is kept secret, waiting for such a time when it can be launched.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

seb146

Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:41 am

Russia hacks and steals. No doubt. But why is this a thing? I mean: any real scientist would back up their work and any real scientist would share their info and help each other. Russia may know 3/4 of the problem but they don't know 4/4. Even if they knew 4/4, the other scientists would let all the info out somehow. And American pharma would still demand profits first. Because MAGA or something.

Putin wants to rule the world and MAGA cult members are happy to oblige. They don't even get it that they are helping the enemy. But whatever MAGA. This is what I need explaining on. So many questions for MAGA but they are always right no matter what always. Somehow.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

alfa164
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:30 am

Dieuwer wrote:
I don't understand why they would hack this. Could they not have simply asked nicely for the vaccine if it becomes available?

1. The first company/country to develop a successful vaccine will reap tremendous financial advantage;

2. In all probability, whoever develops the vaccine first will see the benefits go to the residents of that country; and

3. There will be a certain amount of political appeal, and a politician will reap a public benefit, from a vaccine developed

Putin, like most egoists, loves to bathe in adulation.

anrec80

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:05 am

It's boring, girls. Can we get at least somewhat more creative? Say, Vietnamese hackers stole coronavirus vaccine upon an order from Russians, or the other way around. Or, say, a Russian oligarch bribed Jeremy Corbin to give them coronavirus vaccine recipe.

Russians have already tested their own vaccine and medicine, and are working on scaling it out and preparing for mass-vaccination. That will begin by the fall at the latest. What incentive would they have to hack?
Last edited by anrec80 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

anrec80

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:08 am

Dieuwer wrote:

Neither do I. They have finished their own tests of their own vaccine and medicine by now. A certificate is about to be issued, and mass-production is about to begin. British are behind them anyway. I'd rather believe a story that British tried to steal Russia's vaccine. Because Russia already has one, and Britain doesn't yet.

alfa164
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:43 am

anrec80 wrote:
It's boring, girls. Can we get at least somewhat more creative? Say, Vietnamese hackers stole coronavirus vaccine upon an order from Russians, or the other way around. Or, say, a Russian oligarch bribed Jeremy Corbin to give them coronavirus vaccine recipe.

Russians have already tested their own vaccine and medicine, and are working on scaling it out and preparing for mass-vaccination. That will begin by the fall at the latest. What incentive would they have to hack?

anrec80 wrote:
Neither do I. They have finished their own tests of their own vaccine and medicine by now. A certificate is about to be issued, and mass-production is about to begin. British are behind them anyway. I'd rather believe a story that British tried to steal Russia's vaccine. Because Russia already has one, and Britain doesn't yet.

Do you have any evidence to back that up.... or is this just more Russian propaganda?

Dutchy

Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:03 am

alfa164 wrote:
Do you have any evidence to back that up.... or is this just more Russian propaganda?

As I understand it, it is all in the preliminary stage, only tested on about 20 persons, normally hundreds or thousands. So no indication that the Ruski's are ahead. But great, if it works I will celebrate it and all the kudos to Russian scientists.

But, unfortunately, it seems to be more Russian propaganda than anything else. So claiming that Russia is ahead of everyone is quite a leap of imagination, or propaganda might be the right word for it.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

dtw2hyd

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:51 pm

Russians(any country) probe and try to hack every nanosecond of every day. That is not the news.

The honest headline should be "Trump is not saying anything about Russian hacking".
All posts are just opinions.

alfa164
Topic Author

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:39 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
The honest headline should be "Trump is not saying anything about Russian hacking".

We should give the poor man a break! He is probably too busy with his response to Russia's offers of bounties on U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan...

:roll:

tu204

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

As I understand it, it is all in the preliminary stage, only tested on about 20 persons, normally hundreds or thousands. So no indication that the Ruski's are ahead. But great, if it works I will celebrate it and all the kudos to Russian scientists.

But, unfortunately, it seems to be more Russian propaganda than anything else. So claiming that Russia is ahead of everyone is quite a leap of imagination, or propaganda might be the right word for it.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/07/ ... ays-a70941

It's a rushed process, but seems to be going according to plan. Weird that the Ministry of Defence is the one coming up with the vaccine though.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

jordanh

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:51 pm

tu204 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

It's a rushed process, but seems to be going according to plan. Weird that the Ministry of Defence is the one coming up with the vaccine though.

Not so strange, when you consider it is coming from just another Russian propaganda mouthpiece. We will have to wait patiently to see if there is even a shred of truth there.
Last edited by jordanh on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tugger

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:57 pm

tu204 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Not really strange since they have extensive bio labs that are still funded and functional, versus much of the other bio-R&D capability in Russia.

Bio-engineering of pathogens was always fairly robust in Russia as a military tool.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

alfa164
Topic Author

Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:15 am

Tugger wrote:
Not really strange since they have extensive bio labs that are still funded and functional, versus much of the other bio-R&D capability in Russia.

Yep; I just see it as a admission that everything in the country is under the thumb of either Putin's military or the KGB successor, the FSB.

Tugger wrote:
Bio-engineering of pathogens was always fairly robust in Russia as a military tool.

Novichok comes immediately to mind.

atcsundevil

Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:04 pm

Please keep the thread on topic. There's no need for pointless flamebait.

✈️ atcsundevil