Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
N171DN
Topic Author
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Inflight Fire Question

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:30 pm

If there were to be an inflight fire, could the cabin be depressurized at a high altitude to essentially kill the fire?
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 20179
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:42 pm

N171DN wrote:
If there were to be an inflight fire, could the cabin be depressurized at a high altitude to essentially kill the fire?


Short answer. Sorta.

However, it probably wouldn't kill the fire in a definitive way. If a fire is uncontrollable, you need to set down ASAP.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo
 
VMCA787
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:31 pm

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:12 pm

It would also not work out too well for the pax!
 
Sokes
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Operation successful, patient dead.
Jokes aside, the OP may have had oxygen masks in mind.
"Please take your masks and chill out!"
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6477
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Feeding a fire oxygen via the pax won’t work too well. While depressurizing at high levels, crewv only, think freighter, might work, it might not either. Odds are fight it and land or ditch ASAP. A uncontrolled fire over water is a nightmare
 
gloom
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:58 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
N171DN wrote:
If there were to be an inflight fire, could the cabin be depressurized at a high altitude to essentially kill the fire?


Short answer. Sorta.

However, it probably wouldn't kill the fire in a definitive way. If a fire is uncontrollable, you need to set down ASAP.


+1. You also gotta remember all those cases where fire damaged the ducts and/or oxygen generators, and depressurization wouldn't help much. As they say, there's always a pipe. Well, sort of say ;)

Cheers,
Adam
 
Flow2706
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:07 pm

On the A320 there is a smoke removal procedure that involves raising the cabin altitude to 10000ft while descending to this altitude. Once level at 10000ft Ram Air is used to ventilate the cabin. So it’s not a „real“ depressurisation but only a minor rise in cabin altitude.
Not too familiar with business jets, but as far as I know some of them are equipped with a „cabin dump“ button that can be used to depressurise the cabin in an emergency.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6477
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:43 pm

Flow2706 wrote:
On the A320 there is a smoke removal procedure that involves raising the cabin altitude to 10000ft while descending to this altitude. Once level at 10000ft Ram Air is used to ventilate the cabin. So it’s not a „real“ depressurisation but only a minor rise in cabin altitude.
Not too familiar with business jets, but as far as I know some of them are equipped with a „cabin dump“ button that can be used to depressurise the cabin in an emergency.


I never saw one with a cabin dump, but I only flew six different bizjets by four OEMs. The safety valves would close trying to stop the cabin around 14,000’, so you’d override their operation and shut off the packs, I’ve never seen a system to do that. . The C-5 and most military types have a true cabin dump, hit the switch, turn off the packs and you’re at aircraft altitude faster than you can say “ouch, my ears”. It’s a red guarded switch on the engineer’s panel.
 
Nicoeddf
Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 am

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Flow2706 wrote:
On the A320 there is a smoke removal procedure that involves raising the cabin altitude to 10000ft while descending to this altitude. Once level at 10000ft Ram Air is used to ventilate the cabin. So it’s not a „real“ depressurisation but only a minor rise in cabin altitude.
Not too familiar with business jets, but as far as I know some of them are equipped with a „cabin dump“ button that can be used to depressurise the cabin in an emergency.


I never saw one with a cabin dump, but I only flew six different bizjets by four OEMs. The safety valves would close trying to stop the cabin around 14,000’, so you’d override their operation and shut off the packs, I’ve never seen a system to do that. . The C-5 and most military types have a true cabin dump, hit the switch, turn off the packs and you’re at aircraft altitude faster than you can say “ouch, my ears”. It’s a red guarded switch on the engineer’s panel.


Well, the jet I am very familiar with has exactly that kind of button and works very digital: outflow valves open!

It is part of a last resort attempt to remove smoke, not suppress the fire per se.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god
 
CosmicCruiser
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:01 am

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 pm

In the cargo world yes it was part of our chk list. There was a DC-10 that had a cargo fire. They performed the chk list which included raising the cabin and going on O2. The made an emergency ldg and the fire remained subdued until the fire dept decided to hand crank open the cargo door. The fire blossomed and the plane burned into on the runway.
 
spacecadet
Posts: 3575
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2001 3:36 am

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:45 am

UPS flight 6 vented the cargo bay and crashed anyway. I'm not an expert on lithium battery fires, but my understanding is that once thermal runaway begins, the fire is not easily put out even when starved of oxygen.

Valujet 592 had an airtight cargo hold, but that's kinda moot if you give the fire its own oxygen supply...
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!
 
tommy1808
Posts: 13703
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 am

gloom wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
N171DN wrote:
If there were to be an inflight fire, could the cabin be depressurized at a high altitude to essentially kill the fire?


Short answer. Sorta.

However, it probably wouldn't kill the fire in a definitive way. If a fire is uncontrollable, you need to set down ASAP.


+1. You also gotta remember all those cases where fire damaged the ducts and/or oxygen generators, and depressurization wouldn't help much. As they say, there's always a pipe. Well, sort of say ;)

Cheers,
Adam


plus that iffy detail of fire burning quite well in air up to 50k feet. So that works more by the rapidly expanding gas cooling the fire/burning material than depriving it of Oxygen.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8083
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Old folks know from school that 3 things are needed for fire. Fuel, oxygen & heat...ye old fire triangle. Now-a-days, we are taught about the fire tetrahedron...fuel, oxygen, heat & the chemical reaction. To extinguish a fire, one of the components must be removed.

When we depressurization a cabin, we reduce the amount of oxygen available, thus darkening down the fire, but until the heat is removed or the fuel removed, the fire is still there, waiting for an increase in oxygen. I guess, if you stay high enough, long enough, you may cool the fuel enough to put the fire out. But, since, “get on the damn ground” is pretty high up on the checklist for an in flight fire, we will be increasing the amount of oxygen as we head down.

Depressurization will buy you time, but chances are, it will not extinguish a large or deep-seated fire.

Note: introduce chemicals or combustible metals, and I’m thinking depressurization won’t buy you much time.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
LyleLanley
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:33 pm

Re: Inflight Fire Question

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:59 pm

spacecadet wrote:
UPS flight 6 vented the cargo bay and crashed anyway. I'm not an expert on lithium battery fires, but my understanding is that once thermal runaway begins, the fire is not easily put out even when starved of oxygen.


Bingo. Lithium fire produces its own oxygen and hydrogen gas as a byproduct of the reaction - two sides of the fire triangle. The only thing you can do with lithium fire is decrease the temperature to control the thermal runaway. Smothering with water helps but brings its own hazards on an airplane.
"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boair, PITingres and 28 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos