Topic Author

OJ verdict----25 years ago today

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:19 pm

25 years ago today, America STOPPED.

Business stopped,
Schools stopped
Wall Street stopped
Shorty after 1:00pm eastern
Like JFK assassination, Shuttle accidents, 9/11....it was one of those YOU REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE moments
Some cheered....some were stunned

THE VERDICT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rurKd569xRw

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oj- ... 10638.html

Where are the key players?
https://abcnews.go.com/US/oj-simpson-ca ... d=63180970

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

LCDFlight

Re: OJ verdict----25 years ago today

Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:25 pm

I remember thinking it was wrong, because I didn't know as much about the spirit of the law as I learned later.

OJ was not found innocent. The system that was trying him was found lacking. Doubts were raised about custody and professionalism of the investigators. The defense team was able to raise doubts, partly based on the overall culture of LAPD. The jury did not convict. But OJ was not found innocent. Important distinction IMO.

Aaron747

Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:30 pm

Who can forget? Kato Kaelin. Mark Fuhrman. Marcia Clark and Chris Darden vs. Bob Shapiro, F Lee Bailey and Johnnie Cochran?? 'If it don't fit, you must acquit'
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

T18

Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:31 pm

I'm not really sure The OJ verdict is on the same level as those others, given I don't remember it at all but I'd bet anyone who was that age on 9/11 will remember something.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

NIKV69

Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:08 pm

OJ killed his wife and Ron Goldman. It's not even close. The LAPD erred on many fronts but the shoes don't lie. I was watching the verdict and couldn't believe that decapitating someone would get cheers and high fives. Truly a sick world. Poor Nicole. This society failed her.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

stl07

Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:49 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
OJ killed his wife and Ron Goldman. It's not even close. The LAPD erred on many fronts but the shoes don't lie. I was watching the verdict and couldn't believe that decapitating someone would get cheers and high fives. Truly a sick world. Poor Nicole. This society failed her.

Very true, but all I could think about while reading this thread was his "tiger shushimi" comments regarding the husband from Tiger King
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

NIKV69

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:08 pm

stl07 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Very true, but all I could think about while reading this thread was his "tiger shushimi" comments regarding the husband from Tiger King

Don't think there will ever be a better tweet than this.

https://twitter.com/TheRealOJ32/status/ ... 50144?s=20

Can't believe this nutbag is living in Vegas :crazy:

Aaron747

Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:12 am

NIKV69 wrote:

It was the ultimate expression of wealth privilege - the true American privilege. If a regular dude, black or white, slaughtered their ex, they’d be put away forever. No dream team of lawyers to probe LAPD procedures and setup racist cops to fail on the stand.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

flipdewaf

Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:56 am

There has been a new website launched to commemorate the 25 years anniversary. Just go to your browser of choice and type: slash>slash>backslash>escape.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltbewr

Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:51 am

Because of the overwhelming news as to the Covid-19 pandemic and Trump's infection with it, the anniversary of this trial ending is barely acknowledged.by the news media in the USA.

I was in Ireland on the day of the jury decision. Like almost all in the USA, I had been following the case since the deaths of OJ's ex-wife and Goldman. I was on an overnight flight AUK-LAX when the murders happened, didn't know of it happening until my LAX-EWR flight arrived in NJ later that day.

On the day of the verdict, I picked up a rental care near DUB airport, and the person for the company told me the jury had reached a verdict, and would announce it that day, I was shocked that the decision was made in a few hours. I traveled west and made a stop as the Famine Museum at Stokestown Estate and about 6 PM when approached the town of Ballina in the western area of Ireland, the verdict was announced. I recall pounding the steering wheel in anger that Simpson wasn't convicted. Later at dinner and at my B&B I watched TV (Sky news) about the jury verdict and the reactions in the USA to it, badly divided by race, much like we are now.

Since that day, I have come to a understanding about the decision, something we still deal with today. OJ Simpson was a celebrity, an excellent college and professional American football player. He did ads for Hertz Rent a Car, (some filmed at EWR's then relatively new terminals), that were one of the first to feature a Black man as the lead spokesperson for a major consumer company. In the years before the murders, the Los Angeles police department had a severe racial attitudes, compounded by the video taped violent assault of a Black man, Rodney King and other well published acts of violence of LAPD on Black persons. The acquittal verdict in the trial of the police officers in the Rodney King case triggered riots that severely damaged the Black areas of LA and other cities, not unlike those of recent months OJ Simpson was also likely the first Black man in the USA to have the money to pay for a defense for murdering White persons.

The trial was never so much about his guilt or innocence, but rather it was one of our justice, prosecutors and the LAPD on trial for their racism. It was also the biggest trial to allow TV cameras into it. It took place in the pre-internet age, so many got entertainment from watching the trial, CNN and the cable news covered it like no other story to that date, making big profits by promoting it. It led to some states to end the experiment of allowing live TV at trials (especially NY State). It was also one of the first big cases that early DNA evidence was used and noted its limitations.

Yes, it was sad the victims never got the justice they needed, but the politics and society of that time, that evidence has been compromised by the racism of the police, major tactical mistakes of the Prosecution and Simpson had a 'dream team' of lawyers and experts that were critical in his defense. The trial was also rushed, most would take 18 months to go to trial, that led to compromises that hurt the Prosecution. Since the criminal trial there was the Civil trial where Simpson lost almost all of the rest of his wealth and eventually jail for assault in a botched attempt to steal back some of his memorabilia (he continued to get a about $100k/year NFL pension that cannot be touched for payment of outstanding Judgments. There has also been speculation brought up in recent years as with many aging ex-NFL players of CTE, brain damage from multiple brain concussions from their playing days that could have set the rage and violence that may have added to Simpson doing the murder. I hope after he dies, his brain is examined to see if was a factor and to try to prevent more ex-NFL players from doing such acts of violence.

NIKV69

Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:

It was the ultimate expression of wealth privilege - the true American privilege. If a regular dude, black or white, slaughtered their ex, they’d be put away forever. No dream team of lawyers to probe LAPD procedures and setup racist cops to fail on the stand.

I don't think wealth had anything to do with it more so his sports legendry. There are rich people who the public loathes that all the money and dream teams couldn't help but when you can rush for 200 yards in the NFL you are elevated to the heavens. It's a shame. Those people lining the 405 chanting GO Juice GO and high fiving hoping he would escape. A sad day for America.

TTailedTiger

Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:01 am

I was too young to remember anything about the OJ trial. But the verdict for Casey Anthony certainly left me gut punched. I could never be convinced she isn't guilty. You don't go out partying when your child is gone.

Aaron747

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:15 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I don't think wealth had anything to do with it more so his sports legendry. There are rich people who the public loathes that all the money and dream teams couldn't help but when you can rush for 200 yards in the NFL you are elevated to the heavens. It's a shame. Those people lining the 405 chanting GO Juice GO and high fiving hoping he would escape. A sad day for America.

Fame and wealth share a nexus of protection, even for tarnished and detestable people. Look at how long Weinstein, Lauer, and Epstein survived issues that would bury a regular Joe forever.

Boeing757100

Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:57 pm

If Mr. Simpson was happy, just look at this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtzLWVv ... imeNetwork
Going to ATL airport in 2019 is like being in 2013
Going to ATL airport in 2010 is like being in 2000
Going to ATL airport in 1998 is like being in 1988
Going to ATL airport in 2035 is like watching paint dry