Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Hernia surgery gone wrong

Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:37 am

I had labroscopic surgery for an inguinal hernia in January of this year, it was repaired using conventional methods afaik (mesh)

After the procedure my surgeon told me all had gone well however months went by and I still had significant swelling and pain, the doctor assured me it would subside but it never did

Turns out I had a large Hydrocele on the right side (same side as the hernia)

After evaluating my options I reluctantly decided on another surgery to remove this painful and troublesome Hydrocele

This was actually done last Tuesday and I’m back in recovery mode, on pain killers and hoping it was successful, the surgery seems to have gone as planned

For those of you in the medical field and / or have had a similar experience I’m wondering how common it is to develop a Hydrocele after Hernia surgery ?

The doctor who performed the Hydrocelectomy (different from the hernia surgeon) said that this Hydrocele was not caused by anything the hernia surgeon did ‘deliberately’

This has me wondering whether the hernia surgeon, through a lack of care actually caused this Hydrocele and the pain and discomfort I’ve had because of it, not to mention having to undergo another surgery to remove it

Look forward to enlightened opinions and or other informative answers
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

mailmover

Re: Hernia surgery gone wrong

Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:25 am

I had a left inguinal hernia and left hydrocele present at around the same time, a couple years ago. I too thought they were related. Doctors said no. It was recommended I get the hernia surgery done first and then the hydrocele at a later date.
So a general surgeon did the robotic hernia surgery, and 3 months later I had a urologist do the hydrocele surgery. Pretty sure your hernia surgeon didn't cause your hydrocele.
To note, my hydrocele was not painful at all, just awkward with having an enlarged scrotum.

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:50 am

mailmover wrote:
I had a left inguinal hernia and left hydrocele present at around the same time, a couple years ago. I too thought they were related. Doctors said no. It was recommended I get the hernia surgery done first and then the hydrocele at a later date.
So a general surgeon did the robotic hernia surgery, and 3 months later I had a urologist do the hydrocele surgery. Pretty sure your hernia surgeon didn't cause your hydrocele.
To note, my hydrocele was not painful at all, just awkward with having an enlarged scrotum.

Thanks for the reply,

Interesting, how long did it take for everything to ‘return to normal’ after your Hydrocelectomy and do you have any issues now ?

They drained 1/2 a liter of fluid from my Hydrocele, it was pretty large, hoping for a trouble free recovery, fed up with this pain

Best wishes

GGg

DocLightning

Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:06 am

Just chiming in to say that this is out of my wheelhouse. Good luck getting it figured out.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

mailmover

Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:48 am

Max Q wrote:
Interesting, how long did it take for everything to ‘return to normal’ after your Hydrocelectomy and do you have any issues now ?

"Return to normal" was around 10 days for both procedures. No complications or re-occurrences either, thankfully.

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:02 pm

mailmover wrote:
Max Q wrote:

"Return to normal" was around 10 days for both procedures. No complications or re-occurrences either, thankfully.

Ok, thanks for that, I’m at a week since surgery and still have quite a lot of pain, hope things will improve soon

GGg

Redd

Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:58 pm

Glad you're OK. I was just listening to a podcast yesterday and it turns out that medical errors are the 3rd largest cause of death in the USA, killing 250,000 people each year. Makes you think twice about trusting your doctor, doesn't it?

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/me ... s%20(CDC's)%20third%20leading

andz

Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:08 pm

I had a hernia repair and hydrocele at the same time some 15 years ago from which I recovered quite quickly, then several years later I was in for another procedure including a vasectomy and when I woke up the urologist told me that he had needed to do a hydrocele on the same side again. This was 8 years ago and so far so good.

In both cases the pain was little to none.

@DocLightning I was under the impression that hydrocele is quite common in newborns so I am surprised that as a paediatrician you says this is not in your field of expertise. Open to correction of course!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...