Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kiwirob
Topic Author

DHL Package Tracking

Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:26 pm

I bought some new speakers yesterday. I’m tracking them on the DHL app, it’s nuts if you ask me. The company I bought them from has a warehouse in Rotterdam, so they’ve gone Rotterdam to Amsterdam, to Brussels and now back to Rotterdam. Maybe tomorrow they will head to Norway.

NIKV69

Re: DHL Package Tracking

Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:34 pm

The USPS is no better a relative in NY sent me something for Xmas to NV. It went to Florida and CA before it came here. I am sure it's Covid related.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:57 pm

Woohoo it’s now back in Amsterdam

CitizenJustin

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Woohoo it’s now back in Amsterdam

I ordered a shirt from Italy and it was supposed to arrive two days ago. However, they said due to weather it’s stuck in Las Palmas Spain. At least that’s the last location it was scanned on January 8th. It’s very frustrating.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:56 pm

I think it has to get to Leipzig, Germany, at least that is true for US bound package. From there it will reach Cleveland and final destination.

I had several packages came from India, dresses and sweets over the last few weeks, touch wood they all made in four days.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:08 pm

My package has been backwards and forwards between Brussels and Amsterdam twice today.

CitizenJustin

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:48 pm

Mines back on track and in Madrid now. Usually it goes to miami from there.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:15 pm

I'm on the way, todays big move was from Brussels to Copenhagen, its getting closer.

QF7

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 am

I have no idea how DHL’s logistics work but years ago I worked with a consultant who described a process his firm had recommended for Southwest Airlines (I don’t recall whether SWA actually adopted it or not.). Essentially it involved loading a piece of cargo into a plane and instead of unloading it at the next airport they would just leave it in the hold, which speeded up turn-around time. As the plane circulated throughout the system eventually it would arrive at the cargo’s destination airport and be offloaded.

I’m a bit suspicious of the story because it seems a lot of weight would be flown around but the theory was that cost would be offset by the turn-around time savings.

So *maybe* something similar is happening to your shipment.

BlueberryWheats

Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:28 pm

I once bought some new Converse from a UK seller (not too far from where I live actually). They were sent via one of the big companies, I can't remember which, maybe DHL. The left the UK, went to two locations in Germany and then back to a sorting hub in the UK and then to me.

This was well before covid.

cjg225

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:31 pm

Could be logical scans instead of physical scans, too. Essentially, it's a systematic guess at where a package should be based on the last known physical scan and where it should be next.

dtw2hyd

Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:35 pm

There are tons of examples of weird routing of USPS packages during COVID-19 and sort machine removals.

There are three (Detroit, Pontiac and Allen Park) regional hubs and local hub(annex) before it reaches my PO.

One package from Phily came all the way to Detroit Regional hub and went to Dallas, TX before coming back. Added 7 days.

One package was doing "Arrived at Allen Park", "Departed Allen Park" vicious circle for 6 days before it break free.

One package from Grand Rapids, MI, went to Wisconsin, Illinois and back to Michigan. Took 11 days for 2 hours journey.

airmann91

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:46 pm

it is really exciting to read which discrepancies there can be with regard to route planning and its display in the system :roll:

Some time ago I ordered something that, according to the system, was delivered to me. I haven't received the package until today :lol: the provider took care of it and sent me a replacement/new package

cjg225

Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:23 pm

airmann91 wrote:
it is really exciting to read which discrepancies there can be with regard to route planning and its display in the system :roll:

Some time ago I ordered something that, according to the system, was delivered to me. I haven't received the package until today :lol: the provider took care of it and sent me a replacement/new package

Fun times in the parcel networks. The weather this week in the US is not helping matters. SDF and MEM were shut down last night, so both major integrators' air service levels lost an entire day of business for a huge amount of their volume.

Kent350787

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:26 am

My favourite from late last year was suits for my son ordered from the UK (made in Turkey), shipped to Koln then two stops in the US before reaching me in Sydney Australia 4 days after ordering.

A pair of sandals made 5 stops in the US, starting in NJ and getting to LA before heading back to Chicago and then back to LA before heading to Sydney.