Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Surround Sound

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:08 pm

Has anyone got a home theatre, I’m in the middle of upgrading my speakers, I have new LCR, surrounds and sub on the way, but I want moooore! I can’t install speakers in the ceiling for atmos but I do have room for front height speakers, is anyone using front heights, if so have you also tried them as atmos speakers?? Did it work out as expected?

jetwet1

Re: Surround Sound

Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:42 pm

I don't have that kind of set up.

When exploring upgrades for the Bose system I had I came to the same conclusion as you, I couldn't put speakers in my ceiling and I didn't want wires running everywhere, so I ended up going for a Samsung HW-Q90r system, it also helped that Best Buy had it at just over half price.

The system is Atmos and yes, it's worth it, the sound is incredible.

DL717

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:01 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Has anyone got a home theatre, I’m in the middle of upgrading my speakers, I have new LCR, surrounds and sub on the way, but I want moooore! I can’t install speakers in the ceiling for atmos but I do have room for front height speakers, is anyone using front heights, if so have you also tried them as atmos speakers?? Did it work out as expected?

Mount about 1’ from ceiling:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP500S ... alnut.html

Ceiling is best, but you need the angle if using wall mount height channels. You can also put on top of the mains and bounce them off of the ceiling. It works, but it’s not as good as in ceiling. That said, some people prefer bouncing as it can create a more diffuse sound field. This comes at a cost to the pinpoint accuracy of in ceiling.

From Dolby. A good read:

https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/techno ... 8_r3.1.pdf
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:05 pm

I was thinking about buying Arendal 1961 Heights or SVS Ultra Prime Elevations to use as Atmos speakers.they’re angled and should work.

NIKV69

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:56 pm

The big home theatre is a thing of the past but stil cook. Nowadays it seems in vogue to have a sound bar which is what I did and the bass woofer it gives you that sound in the room without all the gear.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

DL717

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:57 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
I was thinking about buying Arendal 1961 Heights or SVS Ultra Prime Elevations to use as Atmos speakers.they’re angled and should work.

Those will work.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

Kent350787

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:04 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
The big home theatre is a thing of the past but stil cook. Nowadays it seems in vogue to have a sound bar which is what I did and the bass woofer it gives you that sound in the room without all the gear.

Soundbars are for noobs, but most people find it easier than a prpoer setup, even though they do not provide anywhere near the impact of a multi-speaker setup. SImple 5.1 is pretty easy (although rear speakers a bit more of a faff), but I admit I've never headed to 7 speakers or more - that strikes me as proper HT, rather than the value of 5.1 just for "TV"
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

scbriml

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:08 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

That's pretty much what we have in our main lounge. Sonos PlayBar and Sub plus two Play Ones for rear sound. Really works well and is all wireless, so only power needed (one Sonos device needs to be connected to Internet).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Kent350787

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:16 pm

scbriml wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

That's pretty much what we have in our main lounge. Sonos PlayBar and Sub plus two Play Ones for rear sound. Really works well and is all wireless, so only power needed (one Sonos device needs to be connected to Internet).

But that's a 5.1 system, rather than the front only a "virtual" rear of most soundbar systems. They're better than TV speakers, but a make-do.

I've no problem with wireless options at all, and understand why people find soundbars easy. I was amazed 30+ years ago at the difference decent amplification and two speakers could make to mono, let alone actual stereo when I bought my first stereo VCR
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:33 pm

I’ve listened to a bunch of sound bars but the only one that really wowed me was the Sennheiser Ambeo, it just lacks the ability to add a decent base.

A friend of mine has spend about 200k USD on his theatre, it’s mind blowing. It beats any cinema I’ve ever been in.

Aesma

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:35 pm

I want a proper home cinema when I get my home (hopefully this year), by proper I mean dedicated room, dark carpet from floor to ceiling, insulation, expensive 4K projector, and of course speakers all around.

However to me what makes a lot of difference is the center/voice speaker, when watching action movies, or movies with a lot of "parasite" sounds or music, having the voice on a separate speaker is like night and day. Especially watching stuff in English (being a non native English speaker).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cpd

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:06 am

NIKV69 wrote:

I have a very good soundbar and subwoofer in my indoor cycling training room. They are good, but not anything like a proper home theatre system. The difference is huge.

DL717

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:35 am

Kiwirob wrote:
I’ve listened to a bunch of sound bars but the only one that really wowed me was the Sennheiser Ambeo, it just lacks the ability to add a decent base.

A friend of mine has spend about 200k USD on his theatre, it’s mind blowing. It beats any cinema I’ve ever been in.

Best sound bar I ever heard was a Yamaha 5600. Not even sure they make them anymore. Used an array of speakers to do Atmos. Expensive as hell, but it would work in a well dimensioned room. Nothing like a home theater on any level, but pretty damn good. Thought about one for the living room, but the vaulted ceiling doesn’t play well. It was a bit too much juice for a bedroom. Really made for a rectangular living room in a smaller home.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_v ... index.html

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:01 am

Kent350787 wrote:

I've no problem with wireless options at all, and understand why people find soundbars easy. I was amazed 30+ years ago at the difference decent amplification and two speakers could make to mono, let alone actual stereo when I bought my first stereo VCR

A lot of the wireless options are just as big a pain in the butt to install as wired solutions, often the best place for a rear speaker isn't anywhere near a power outlet, you still end up running cable.

Kent350787

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:08 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

A lot of the wireless options are just as big a pain in the butt to install as wired solutions, often the best place for a rear speaker isn't anywhere near a power outlet, you still end up running cable.

I knew there were reasons wireless rears weren't always great, but I'd totally forgotten the power issue for some reason.

I'm sure the challenges of rears (floor standing/wall/ceiling, wired/wireless) mean many people who just want "better" sound discount them and just go with soundbars. But, for more engaging, surrounding audio you need real rears. But soundbars are better than nothing.

NIKV69

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:19 am

Kent350787 wrote:

Soundbars are for noobs, but most people find it easier than a prpoer setup, even though they do not provide anywhere near the impact of a multi-speaker setup. SImple 5.1 is pretty easy (although rear speakers a bit more of a faff), but I admit I've never headed to 7 speakers or more - that strikes me as proper HT, rather than the value of 5.1 just for "TV"

Noobs? Come on that is so 80’s unless you are a movie theatre you really don’t need this stuff. I have a big living room and with the lights off it sounds like the theatre. I would rather put all the money into my truck.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

petertenthije

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:42 am

Kiwirob wrote:

I've got a JBL sound bar with detachable speakers for surround.

If you are wathing something on TV that does not support surround sound, then you keep the speakers attached to the soundbar. This will charge their batteries.

When you are watching a movie you take them off and position them for full 3D sound. It works with bluetooth so no hassle with cables.

The batteries are well enough for a long evening of movie watching, and you can easily charge them overnight.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

Kent350787

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:56 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Noobs? Come on that is so 80’s unless you are a movie theatre you really don’t need this stuff. I have a big living room and with the lights off it sounds like the theatre. I would rather put all the money into my truck.

For TV, I agree a sound at is at least better than the built-in speakers. But for movies, proper 5.1 or better is really worth it (in a way that 3D at home wasn’t:) )

I really can’t handle bad audio - and have an excellent system in my SUV too.

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:07 am

petertenthije wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I've got a JBL sound bar with detachable speakers for surround.

If you are wathing something on TV that does not support surround sound, then you keep the speakers attached to the soundbar. This will charge their batteries.

When you are watching a movie you take them off and position them for full 3D sound. It works with bluetooth so no hassle with cables.

The batteries are well enough for a long evening of movie watching, and you can easily charge them overnight.

That’s an interesting solution. We have a tv in the lounge which is where we watch broadcast tv, in the basement we have another lounge/man cave/my home office, this is where we have another tv with a surround sound system.

I upgraded the receiver just before Christmas, which then led to upgrading the speakers, fingers crossed they arrive tomorrow. Since the new receiver is atmos enabled I’m looked at getting atmos speakers.

I might add a soundbar to the main lounge tv, you solution looks really interesting.