Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
stratosphere
Topic Author
Posts: 2011
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:36 pm

Gee Andy blaming Trump again for your mismanagement. Maybe if you didn't have sky high taxes and draconian COVID rules maybe a few people might not have left your state for Florida

https://www.westernjournal.com/gov-cuom ... rEMva86Uds
 
johns624
Posts: 3929
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Gee Andy blaming Trump again for your mismanagement. Maybe if you didn't have sky high taxes and draconian COVID rules maybe a few people might not have left your state for Florida

https://www.westernjournal.com/gov-cuom ... rEMva86Uds
It's just deflection from his other "problems".
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2670
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:58 pm

To be honest, people have been fleeing the north (and now Cali) and high taxes for a while, the ones that jump on the Trump bandwagon...his followers...I say good riddance. Enjoy that infrastructure in Florida and Texas. You know where the electricity goes out, hurricanes hit - combined with sub-par building codes, and Florida has ONE midstream connection for refined oil products from the Gulf Coast region as a spur off the major pipeline in Georgia...good luck with that.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13797
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:47 pm

To be fair there is blame to go around. The GOP Tax plan itself could have helped. NY missed the cutoff by 89 people. That is slim as slim goes, but it has been inevitable for a while as the south and west continue to grow.

https://www2.census.gov/programs-survey ... tableB.pdf
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23869
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:53 pm

Many areas are saying the census count was messed up from the beginning so it is MAGA's fault. He was the one who botched the whole thing just so his MAGAs could get more power. No surprise, really. Maybe we should have EU or Japan or some third party come in and do the census.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14382
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:57 pm

TDS taking to the extreme I guess it will also be the case when they lose the house in two years. They need serious help.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8055
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:37 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
To be honest, people have been fleeing the north (and now Cali) and high taxes for a while, the ones that jump on the Trump bandwagon...his followers...I say good riddance. Enjoy that infrastructure in Florida and Texas. You know where the electricity goes out, hurricanes hit - combined with sub-par building codes, and Florida has ONE midstream connection for refined oil products from the Gulf Coast region as a spur off the major pipeline in Georgia...good luck with that.


I’m actually in Florida at the moment, infrastructure here remarkably better than home in the Northeast. Roads, especially. Florida’s building hides, post Andrew, are among the toughest in the US. So what “infrastructure” are you talking about—bloated bureaucracy, overpaid union teachers delivering poor outcomes, welfare? My niece and nephew graduated to UCLA and George Washington Law and UC Noulder, respectively from Florida schools
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8703
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Gee Andy blaming Trump again for your mismanagement. Maybe if you didn't have sky high taxes and draconian COVID rules maybe a few people might not have left your state for Florida

I think Florida, Arizona, and Texas would agree with Cuomo given that all three missed out on an additional seat.

All signs point to two particular things: the citizenship question (which likely depressed turnout in Hispanic-heavy states) AND the premature ending of the Census (states had asked to keep the original date to ensure an accurate count, especially given the pandemic).

Guess who was in charge at the time to make both decisions?

Hint: not Biden or Cuomo.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
KFTG
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:48 am

Pellegrine wrote:
To be honest, people have been fleeing the north (and now Cali) and high taxes for a while, the ones that jump on the Trump bandwagon...his followers...I say good riddance. Enjoy that infrastructure in Florida and Texas. You know where the electricity goes out, hurricanes hit - combined with sub-par building codes, and Florida has ONE midstream connection for refined oil products from the Gulf Coast region as a spur off the major pipeline in Georgia...good luck with that.

Is this a real post? Did I really just read that?
You know what? Fine, I agree with you.
No more hurricane relief to NY next time Sandy 2.0 comes through.
Y'all can totally handle it on your own apparently.
 
alfa164
Posts: 3968
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:45 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
My niece and nephew graduated to UCLA and George Washington Law and UC Noulder, respectively from Florida schools


So... your niece and nephew had to go to California, Washington, D.C., and some undecipherable place to get their higher education?

That kind of undercuts your argument about how great Florida is...


:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
alfa164
Posts: 3968
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:04 am

NIKV69 wrote:
TDS taking to the extreme I guess it will also be the case when they lose the house in two years. They need serious help.


Based on your prediction history, I think we should all go to Vegas and bet on Democrats taking the House in 2022:

NIKV69 wrote:
Well campaigns are over except for the crying. I am sticking with my prediction. Trump wins 275-263, after everyone thinking PA is the key it is meaningless as MI goes Trump along with OH, FL and NC.


NIKV69 wrote:
A second Trump term and the fear monger phrase "voter suppression" will take the place of "Russia interference" on the MSM. I am sure many more cities will burn and be looted..


NIKV69 wrote:
CNN refusing to call GA and FL is petty. There is no way Biden can make up the deficit in PA even with early voting


NIKV69 wrote:
Half the vote in PA and Trump up half a million votes. It's over folks.


There's the true "TDS"...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1204
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:28 am

alfa164 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
TDS taking to the extreme I guess it will also be the case when they lose the house in two years. They need serious help.


Based on your prediction history, I think we should all go to Vegas and bet on Democrats taking the House in 2022:

NIKV69 wrote:
Well campaigns are over except for the crying. I am sticking with my prediction. Trump wins 275-263, after everyone thinking PA is the key it is meaningless as MI goes Trump along with OH, FL and NC.


NIKV69 wrote:
A second Trump term and the fear monger phrase "voter suppression" will take the place of "Russia interference" on the MSM. I am sure many more cities will burn and be looted..


NIKV69 wrote:
CNN refusing to call GA and FL is petty. There is no way Biden can make up the deficit in PA even with early voting


NIKV69 wrote:
Half the vote in PA and Trump up half a million votes. It's over folks.


There's the true "TDS"...

;)


Yes, but they will be releasing all the evidence that it was massive voter fraud soon. You shall be made to look very silly indeed!
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:57 am

Basically people are leaving higher tax states because of arrogant governments. People don't like it when you take their money with a gun, based on dubious justifications like funding rich pensions that private sector workers don't get. It's an elaborate political patronage system.

Be very careful with this. I agree, it is ridiculous to see Florida outcompete superb educated states like New Jersey and NY for things like tech jobs. And yet, Florida is doing that. Texas is doing that. It is absurd. You have to ask what gigantic force is causing that to happen.

Ohio was rich once. Michigan was rich once. Illinois was rich once. Pennsylvania was rich once. Do NY/NJ/MA really think they are so different? Arrogance and pride go to your head. After a while, you find yourself unable to compete, unable to win. You start making excuses, trying to cast accusations on others.

Judging by Biden's speech, the most productive people and organizations will be studying moving to a more appropriate country, maybe Ireland, ASAP. We will need to prepare for revenue cuts as they do so.
 
kalvado
Posts: 3205
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:03 am

WHile Cuomo would blame Trump for everything, situation is way more interesting.

NY was projected to have almost zero population growth over the decade, while census data showed 4.5% growth. NY and NJ are 2 states with the largest discrepancy between estimate and actual count, 4.5 and 4.6% respectively. Even more interesting, states bordering NYS did better than expected.
It can be census estimate issue, but some people say this is due to double-counting of those who did flee from NYC during April peak of covid. That could give NY and adjacent states some boost in numbers. People thought NYS was going to loose 2 seats, it came very close to keeping all...

https://twitter.com/lymanstoneky/status ... 0522073088
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8703
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:05 pm

kalvado wrote:
People thought NYS was going to loose 2 seats, it came very close to keeping all...

I think if NY keeps growing at the rate it's growing, the 2030 Census may be the one where it finally stops losing seats. Heck, the fact that it almost retained all its seats for this round means that NY is still growing faster than other states (many of which are also GOP havens, like MO, WV, OH, AL, and MS, as well as some purple states like MI and WI). While 4.25% is below the national average and a far cry from the double digit growth of other states, NY still grew faster than 18 other states so it's definitely not a bad position. And among the top 10 most populous states, NY is slated to remain 4th largest for quite a while as the next state is PA with 7M fewer people (with 2.36% growth).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
alfa164
Posts: 3968
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:33 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
Yes, but they will be releasing all the evidence that it was massive voter fraud soon. You shall be made to look very silly indeed!


I think Mike Lindell just blew it! He found the missing ballots... then accidentally shredded them and stuffed them into his pillows.

No wonder these Trumpistas still have dreams of him...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
kalvado
Posts: 3205
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:21 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
kalvado wrote:
People thought NYS was going to loose 2 seats, it came very close to keeping all...

I think if NY keeps growing at the rate it's growing, the 2030 Census may be the one where it finally stops losing seats. Heck, the fact that it almost retained all its seats for this round means that NY is still growing faster than other states (many of which are also GOP havens, like MO, WV, OH, AL, and MS, as well as some purple states like MI and WI). While 4.25% is below the national average and a far cry from the double digit growth of other states, NY still grew faster than 18 other states so it's definitely not a bad position. And among the top 10 most populous states, NY is slated to remain 4th largest for quite a while as the next state is PA with 7M fewer people (with 2.36% growth).


IF census data for NYS is to be believed - and that it a fairly big IF.
I assume you observed upstate first hand before commenting, though?
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23869
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:34 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Basically people are leaving higher tax states because of arrogant governments. People don't like it when you take their money with a gun, based on dubious justifications like funding rich pensions that private sector workers don't get. It's an elaborate political patronage system.


Then maybe the private sector should keep up.

It is not just pensions that are being funded from taxes. It is things like roads and education and public health care also. But, because people are not seeing immediate results, they start in with the whole "tax and spend liberals" trope.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8055
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:21 pm

alfa164 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
My niece and nephew graduated to UCLA and George Washington Law and UC Noulder, respectively from Florida schools


So... your niece and nephew had to go to California, Washington, D.C., and some undecipherable place to get their higher education?

That kind of undercuts your argument about how great Florida is...


:roll:


No such thing...UCLA had in-state tuition and thanks to the Navy, my brother moved to...California. UC Boulder has one of the few NROTC programs, there’s few other options. GW Law isn’t duplicated in many other states.

I didn’t say Florida is great, but it’s one helluva better than its reputation except for the clown show on the highways which are in great shape.
 
N965UW
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:31 pm

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:57 pm

seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
Basically people are leaving higher tax states because of arrogant governments. People don't like it when you take their money with a gun, based on dubious justifications like funding rich pensions that private sector workers don't get. It's an elaborate political patronage system.


Then maybe the private sector should keep up.

It is not just pensions that are being funded from taxes. It is things like roads and education and public health care also. But, because people are not seeing immediate results, they start in with the whole "tax and spend liberals" trope.


The private sector doesn't have the ability to generate revenue by assessing mandatory five-figure taxes on middle-class properties. Those in charge of states like NY view the public coffers as unlimited when they are in fact not. There is no justification for providing those in taxpayer-funded positions with benefits that far exceed anything the market can offer for similar work.

This isn't just about "roads and education." I live in NY and can't drive anywhere without feeling like a pothole will destroy my car. Granted we have great public schools (particularly in the suburbs), but that should be a minimum standard, not a luxury that only the rich can afford. The truth is very few of us realize many tangible benefits from these taxes.
You can always go around
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23869
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:53 am

N965UW wrote:
seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
Basically people are leaving higher tax states because of arrogant governments. People don't like it when you take their money with a gun, based on dubious justifications like funding rich pensions that private sector workers don't get. It's an elaborate political patronage system.


Then maybe the private sector should keep up.

It is not just pensions that are being funded from taxes. It is things like roads and education and public health care also. But, because people are not seeing immediate results, they start in with the whole "tax and spend liberals" trope.


The private sector doesn't have the ability to generate revenue by assessing mandatory five-figure taxes on middle-class properties. Those in charge of states like NY view the public coffers as unlimited when they are in fact not. There is no justification for providing those in taxpayer-funded positions with benefits that far exceed anything the market can offer for similar work.

This isn't just about "roads and education." I live in NY and can't drive anywhere without feeling like a pothole will destroy my car. Granted we have great public schools (particularly in the suburbs), but that should be a minimum standard, not a luxury that only the rich can afford. The truth is very few of us realize many tangible benefits from these taxes.


And, yet, back in the day, we had beautifully smooth paved roads and buses and trains that got people where they needed to go and people paid taxes. Now, no one wants to pay taxes so we have potholes, no bus services, lead spiked water. In other words: we don't need no stinkin' taxes because it might help others.

The private sector paid taxes as well as paying people a descent wage before Republicans decided that government was the enemy. We can't raise taxes because revenue is bad and we can't pay people a descent wage because revenue is bad. I don't know how but Republicans keep saying it.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:51 am

seb146 wrote:
N965UW wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Then maybe the private sector should keep up.

It is not just pensions that are being funded from taxes. It is things like roads and education and public health care also. But, because people are not seeing immediate results, they start in with the whole "tax and spend liberals" trope.


The private sector doesn't have the ability to generate revenue by assessing mandatory five-figure taxes on middle-class properties. Those in charge of states like NY view the public coffers as unlimited when they are in fact not. There is no justification for providing those in taxpayer-funded positions with benefits that far exceed anything the market can offer for similar work.

This isn't just about "roads and education." I live in NY and can't drive anywhere without feeling like a pothole will destroy my car. Granted we have great public schools (particularly in the suburbs), but that should be a minimum standard, not a luxury that only the rich can afford. The truth is very few of us realize many tangible benefits from these taxes.


And, yet, back in the day, we had beautifully smooth paved roads and buses and trains that got people where they needed to go and people paid taxes. Now, no one wants to pay taxes so we have potholes, no bus services, lead spiked water. In other words: we don't need no stinkin' taxes because it might help others.

The private sector paid taxes as well as paying people a descent wage before Republicans decided that government was the enemy. We can't raise taxes because revenue is bad and we can't pay people a descent wage because revenue is bad. I don't know how but Republicans keep saying it.


You seem to be acting like the public sector had more money in the past. This is absolutely false. New York state, and certainly NYC, never had even close to as much money in the past as they have today.

New York does NOT have a funding problem. It has a service delivery problem. And that problem is synonymous with corruption. It is *extremely* corrupt.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15573
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:09 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
To be honest, people have been fleeing the north (and now Cali) and high taxes for a while, the ones that jump on the Trump bandwagon...his followers...I say good riddance. Enjoy that infrastructure in Florida and Texas. You know where the electricity goes out, hurricanes hit - combined with sub-par building codes, and Florida has ONE midstream connection for refined oil products from the Gulf Coast region as a spur off the major pipeline in Georgia...good luck with that.


I’m actually in Florida at the moment, infrastructure here remarkably better than home in the Northeast. Roads, especially. Florida’s building hides, post Andrew, are among the toughest in the US. So what “infrastructure” are you talking about—bloated bureaucracy, overpaid union teachers delivering poor outcomes, welfare? My niece and nephew graduated to UCLA and George Washington Law and UC Noulder, respectively from Florida schools


Since your statement focuses on roads and precludes the not-yet-built seawall protections that will be needed in fewer than 3 decades, it's kinda moot.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion ... story.html
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
kalvado
Posts: 3205
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:15 am

seb146 wrote:
N965UW wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Then maybe the private sector should keep up.

It is not just pensions that are being funded from taxes. It is things like roads and education and public health care also. But, because people are not seeing immediate results, they start in with the whole "tax and spend liberals" trope.


The private sector doesn't have the ability to generate revenue by assessing mandatory five-figure taxes on middle-class properties. Those in charge of states like NY view the public coffers as unlimited when they are in fact not. There is no justification for providing those in taxpayer-funded positions with benefits that far exceed anything the market can offer for similar work.

This isn't just about "roads and education." I live in NY and can't drive anywhere without feeling like a pothole will destroy my car. Granted we have great public schools (particularly in the suburbs), but that should be a minimum standard, not a luxury that only the rich can afford. The truth is very few of us realize many tangible benefits from these taxes.


And, yet, back in the day, we had beautifully smooth paved roads and buses and trains that got people where they needed to go and people paid taxes. Now, no one wants to pay taxes so we have potholes, no bus services, lead spiked water. In other words: we don't need no stinkin' taxes because it might help others.

The private sector paid taxes as well as paying people a descent wage before Republicans decided that government was the enemy. We can't raise taxes because revenue is bad and we can't pay people a descent wage because revenue is bad. I don't know how but Republicans keep saying it.

Except for, that is actually all wrong.
Government spending grew over the past century, from about 10% GDP after WWI to more than 40% today (US numbers, similar situations elsewhere)
A lot of that went towards social security type programs as lifespan grew and people spent more time in retirement, while getting more expensive medical treatment.
This is not exactly socialism a-la Marx (nationalized means of production), but a similar idea (nationalized product).
The trend doesn't show a slow down tendency, continuing almost linearly - so one may predict by 2100 US (and EU, the trend is similar) will fully abolish personal income ("salary", "paychecks") and people will live off government distribution of goods.
Some data:
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/expo ... ng-gdp.png
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14382
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 am

alfa164 wrote:
Based on your prediction history, I think we should all go to Vegas and bet on Democrats taking the House in 2022:



;)


Go for it, you probably said the same thing in 2010. I still think the Dems will suffer crushing losses in 22' Not to mention Cuomo will see a NY that is in very bad shape as well.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23869
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:51 pm

seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
seb146 wrote:

And, yet, back in the day, we had beautifully smooth paved roads and buses and trains that got people where they needed to go and people paid taxes. Now, no one wants to pay taxes so we have potholes, no bus services, lead spiked water. In other words: we don't need no stinkin' taxes because it might help others.

The private sector paid taxes as well as paying people a descent wage before Republicans decided that government was the enemy. We can't raise taxes because revenue is bad and we can't pay people a descent wage because revenue is bad. I don't know how but Republicans keep saying it.


You seem to be acting like the public sector had more money in the past. This is absolutely false. New York state, and certainly NYC, never had even close to as much money in the past as they have today.

New York does NOT have a funding problem. It has a service delivery problem. And that problem is synonymous with corruption. It is *extremely* corrupt.


The public sector had less money because they were taxed higher. Now, they are taxed much lower and that money is going to yet another yacht for the CEO and huge bonuses for the board of directors instead of trickling down and giving the workers higher pay and better benefits.

I am not familiar with New York government so what services are corrupted by Cuomo? What contracts is he blindly handing out to his family and BFFs? Who is he overlooking as revenge? What bridges and toll roads is he closing out of spite?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15852
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:58 pm

He killed far more than 89 people with his stupid order to put COVID patients into nursing homes. That alone was enough to see that seat lost.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
LOT767301ER
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:14 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Sat May 01, 2021 3:26 am

Pellegrine wrote:
To be honest, people have been fleeing the north (and now Cali) and high taxes for a while, the ones that jump on the Trump bandwagon...his followers...I say good riddance. Enjoy that infrastructure in Florida and Texas. You know where the electricity goes out, hurricanes hit - combined with sub-par building codes, and Florida has ONE midstream connection for refined oil products from the Gulf Coast region as a spur off the major pipeline in Georgia...good luck with that.


What kind of alternative reality take is this? Florida, especially South Florida has some of the most stringent building codes in the country and probably the world. The gold standard in wind mitigation for structures is Miami/Dade and Broward.

The infrastructure statement is an even bigger clown show statement. You couldn't hit a pothole all the way from Pensacola to Key West if you tried.
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2670
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Sun May 02, 2021 12:23 am

:D :D :D :D :D All in good fun. I have DAS, not TDS. Deplorable Avoidance Syndrome. I avoid the basket of deplorables. The problem with these redneck, hillbilly, country folk in these podunk towns is that they chose to hitch their ride onto a racist, misogynist grifter from New York...with a little bit of money and a cheap tarnished name brand. :eyepopping:
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2670
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Sun May 02, 2021 12:37 am

LOT767301ER wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
To be honest, people have been fleeing the north (and now Cali) and high taxes for a while, the ones that jump on the Trump bandwagon...his followers...I say good riddance. Enjoy that infrastructure in Florida and Texas. You know where the electricity goes out, hurricanes hit - combined with sub-par building codes, and Florida has ONE midstream connection for refined oil products from the Gulf Coast region as a spur off the major pipeline in Georgia...good luck with that.


What kind of alternative reality take is this? Florida, especially South Florida has some of the most stringent building codes in the country and probably the world. The gold standard in wind mitigation for structures is Miami/Dade and Broward.

The infrastructure statement is an even bigger clown show statement. You couldn't hit a pothole all the way from Pensacola to Key West if you tried.


Texas. https://www.propublica.org/article/texa ... -poisoning

That was the worst civilian carbon monoxide poisoning event since WWII at least. With Florida, Andrew fixed a lot of those problems. Climate change will show there's plenty more, from NC down to FL over to TX.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23869
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Sun May 02, 2021 2:26 am

I wonder how long until these MAGA legislatures will realize their states will flip because of the movement of "liberals" (read: non-Republicans) to their states? How long until they water down those votes of the majority and make it illegal for the newbies to vote?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 784
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Mon May 03, 2021 6:49 am

Not sure why this has to be political.

The North indeed, as other have pointed, hasnew shrinking for a while. Just look at old electoral maps. It’s weird to see states like Ohio have more now and states like Texas not having as many.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23869
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Mon May 03, 2021 5:36 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
Not sure why this has to be political.

The North indeed, as other have pointed, hasnew shrinking for a while. Just look at old electoral maps. It’s weird to see states like Ohio have more now and states like Texas not having as many.


Elections are political.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
apodino
Posts: 4087
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Mon May 03, 2021 6:39 pm

I have a different take on the migration thing. New York has been high taxes for a while now and FL has never had a state income tax and the wealthy have been buying property in Florida for years. That's not the issue. The issue is that housing is so expensive in places like the Acela Corridor and California that working class folks can't afford to live there anymore unless they pay astronomical rent prices. Places like the Carolinas, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, and the Southwest coast of Florida (Palm Beach and Broward counties are very expensive as is Dade county outside of the cuban districts) offer much more affordable housing and this is where people migrate to. In the case of Colorado, North Carolina, and parts of Texas, this is where the millenial class is migrating to because they offer good jobs and and decent housing. In the case of Arizona and Florida, I suspect much of the migration is retirement driven, as both places are very popular retirement communities. My in-laws live in an Arizona retirement community and its quite something to see how quickly homes in retirement communities are being bought, and a good chunk of those are first time builds as developers are expanding those areas very quickly. Meanwhile because young people in California and the Acela Corridor are smaller in numbers than the people being lost to retirement communities, it is not helping things either.

Taxes and Liberal policies make a good excuse for Republicans because on the surface it appears the Blue states are losing and the Red states are gaining, which is true, but if you really look at it objectively, it is much more complicated than that.

One area where this is going to play out in the next few months is Fort Worth, TX. Fort Worth is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, and a landing spot for many people moving from the North. Fort Worth is the big city in Tarrant County, which has been one of the key strongholds of the Republican Party in Texas for many years and one of the key reasons why it has stayed red. Betsy Price is the long time mayor, and I believe Fort Worth during her tenure was the largest city in the country with a Republican Mayor. There is a mayoral election going on here and it is going to a runoff between a Democrat named Deborah Peoples who has a very progressive platform, and Mattie Parker, who basically is running as a continuation of Betsy Price. Keep an eye on this election. If Peoples wins, Tarrant County could very will flip blue which would put people like Congresswomen Kay Granger in danger of losing their seats.


As for Cuomo, NY shed people for six years prior to Trump taking office and Cuomo was governor the whole time. This whining to me appears to be that of a desperate man who knows he is in big political trouble and is trying to use this as a Hail Mary. Honestly all the experts thought this would happen, and the fact that they came so close to keeping their seat should actually be a moral victory. As Conservative commentator Emily Jashinsky noted, if abortion had been banned in NY State for 72 hours, NY would have kept their seat.
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 784
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Mon May 03, 2021 7:03 pm

seb146 wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:
Not sure why this has to be political.

The North indeed, as other have pointed, hasnew shrinking for a while. Just look at old electoral maps. It’s weird to see states like Ohio have more now and states like Texas not having as many.


Elections are political.


No I mean the loss of a seat which is based on population. People just happen to be leaving the North/Midwest.... if it's for political/economic reasons then yeah I suppose it could be intertwined with politics.

I just see the loss of a seat as primarily based on population shifting first.
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2670
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
and Florida has ONE midstream connection for refined oil products from the Gulf Coast region as a spur off the major pipeline in Georgia...good luck with that.


Hmm... AFAIK the Florida spur is open, the rest of the pipeline...
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2895
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Tue May 11, 2021 2:09 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
My niece and nephew graduated to UCLA and George Washington Law and UC Noulder, respectively from Florida schools


So... your niece and nephew had to go to California, Washington, D.C., and some undecipherable place to get their higher education?

That kind of undercuts your argument about how great Florida is...


:roll:


No such thing...UCLA had in-state tuition and thanks to the Navy, my brother moved to...California. UC Boulder has one of the few NROTC programs, there’s few other options. GW Law isn’t duplicated in many other states.

I didn’t say Florida is great, but it’s one helluva better than its reputation except for the clown show on the highways which are in great shape.

I moved to LA this year and I am seriously thinking about moving to Miami in the next few months.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
JayinKitsap
Posts: 2560
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:55 am

Re: Cuomo blames Trump for losing a house seat

Sun May 16, 2021 8:34 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
UC Boulder has one of the few NROTC programs, there’s few other options.


CU is excellent, I grew up in Boulder and my dad was the CU budget director for most of my growing up, I went to Michigan as I needed a new start. My son graduated from CU in Mechanical Engineering, I was impressed by their program.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bpatus297, c933103, gkirk and 25 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos