Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
acavpics
Topic Author
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:36 pm

Up until a few months ago, I checked the news several times a day. News apps on my phone were giving me constant feed of the latest headlines of articles. In addition to that, I scrolled through Google News multiple times daily. This was amplified as the pandemic, US elections raged on.

Shortly after the January 6th Capitol riots, I realized that 90% of these stories we see are just out there to scare us. Seriously, it is as if they are deliberately posting the MOST DEPRESSING things out there even when there are good things happening. I then deleted the news app from my phone. Not much later, I made a commitment to scroll through Google News just once a week.

Wanna know something else? I spend a LOT less time reading through forums here on our one and only airliners.net. I'm sure all of you have noticed that since COVID took hold, the posts on here have been nothing but depressing predictions of the future. (Yes, things are getting better in some countries. But there is still a lot of depressing news out there.)

After making these changes to my lifestyle, I am feeling a LOT better.

The truth is that we as individuals cannot control 99% of the things that happen in the world, whether they are positive or negative. Also, no amount of reading articles, forums with predictions for the future will change the ACTUAL FUTURE. So why waste time dwelling on these things and drive up anxiety levels?

As songwriter Enya says in her world famous song, "Who can say where the road goes. Where the day flows... ONLY TIME"
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7704
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:40 pm

Same. I still check the news but a lot of my phone's news feed is a aviation or technology related. I do like to keep up on international affairs however, it's a lot less depressing (relatively speaking) compared to US domestic news and more interesting.

I've also deactivated (not deleted) my Facebook account and I've felt a lot better, haven't used it in a few months now. Although my social media hole has been largely filled with Tik Tok, the algorithm finds a lot of light hearted stuff for me and the sad stuff is easier to skip than in FB.
 
luckyone
Posts: 4046
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:32 pm

I agree it's helpful to limit ones exposure to sensationalist 24 hour media. Personally, I also find it problematic not to be informed. What I do is I check 1-3 more moderate sources once and leave it -- kind of like reading the newspaper in the days of yore. I find USA Today and The Hill to be the most balanced/least sensationalist. They both very clearly label opinion vs. reporting. Yes, they can have some sensationalist headlines, but by avoiding "Person X Slams Person Y" or "So and So responds to criticism," opinion pieces or editorials by politicians, I've found that it's more or less feasible to avoid the stories that are designed to make you keep clicking and stick to facts. I avoid cable news of any source as their rhetoric and programing are designed to keep you tuned in.
 
acavpics
Topic Author
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:50 pm

luckyone wrote:
I agree it's helpful to limit ones exposure to sensationalist 24 hour media. Personally, I also find it problematic not to be informed. What I do is I check 1-3 more moderate sources once and leave it -- kind of like reading the newspaper in the days of yore. I find USA Today and The Hill to be the most balanced/least sensationalist. They both very clearly label opinion vs. reporting. Yes, they can have some sensationalist headlines, but by avoiding "Person X Slams Person Y" or "So and So responds to criticism," opinion pieces or editorials by politicians, I've found that it's more or less feasible to avoid the stories that are designed to make you keep clicking and stick to facts. I avoid cable news of any source as their rhetoric and programing are designed to keep you tuned in.


That is true. The political sides of this is quite aggravating.

I still feel that they purposely put in information about COVID deaths, shootings, world hunger, global warming, terrorism, drug abuse etc up at the top.
(No, I am NOT denying that these are major issues that need to be addressed.)

And then the good news, like scientific breakthroughs, job growth, poverty reduction, peace treaties etc are way at the bottom. THIS is the kind of media manipulation that leads people to romanticize on the past and say "the world today is just getting worse" and "I miss the good ole days." The truth is, the wold has always been as awesome and awful as it is today, but the news about the bad things is thrown in our faces more today.
 
luckyone
Posts: 4046
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:09 pm

acavpics wrote:
luckyone wrote:
I agree it's helpful to limit ones exposure to sensationalist 24 hour media. Personally, I also find it problematic not to be informed. What I do is I check 1-3 more moderate sources once and leave it -- kind of like reading the newspaper in the days of yore. I find USA Today and The Hill to be the most balanced/least sensationalist. They both very clearly label opinion vs. reporting. Yes, they can have some sensationalist headlines, but by avoiding "Person X Slams Person Y" or "So and So responds to criticism," opinion pieces or editorials by politicians, I've found that it's more or less feasible to avoid the stories that are designed to make you keep clicking and stick to facts. I avoid cable news of any source as their rhetoric and programing are designed to keep you tuned in.


That is true. The political sides of this is quite aggravating.

I still feel that they purposely put in information about COVID deaths, shootings, world hunger, global warming, terrorism, drug abuse etc up at the top.
(No, I am NOT denying that these are major issues that need to be addressed.)

And then the good news, like scientific breakthroughs, job growth, poverty reduction, peace treaties etc are way at the bottom. THIS is the kind of media manipulation that leads people to romanticize on the past and say "the world today is just getting worse" and "I miss the good ole days." The truth is, the wold has always been as awesome and awful as it is today, but the news about the bad things is thrown in our faces more today.

The truth also is that's natural human tendency as lives get perpetually more complicated by things like children, aging family members, illness, work, etc etc to look back when a) your brain was only capable of living in the inconsequential moment (for men this tends to be until about the age of 25 when the brain changes a bit) and b) you had no obligations and your life was simpler when you were a kid. Further complicating that is sociological factors. The boomer generation grew up in a hyper-optimistic post-war era. Their parents who grew up in the depression and World War 2 and finally had some sense of security brought about by the fact that the United States had massive industrial capacity (and with it jobs) while most of the world's industrial capacity had just been decimated by said war. As that generation has been forced to face the reality of the world around it and realize that it actually isn't so unrealistically good, of course "life was better then." For whatever reason this was a major issue between my parents, as my mother really did buy into the Leave it to Beaver, Mayberry illusion.
 
cpd
Posts: 6805
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:58 pm

I don’t watch a lot of news. I do read quickly some news websites, just the main ones that are important for the daily issues related to my work and/or the current lockdown situation.

Where I live we have a hard lockdown at the moment because there is a bad outbreak of the virus and people are dieing. I hate it, I’ve not ridden a bike properly with the friends I used to see for a long time because of this. Add in winter weather too.

Sure I use Zwift and it’s great, but some days I get fed up with it all. On the flip side when it’s all over I’ll be mega fit.

All you can do is just scan the essential news and skip all the BS opinion pieces.
Last edited by cpd on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14436
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:59 pm

I made a decision a while ago to watch 90% less cable news. It was the best decision ever.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22917
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:04 pm

I stopped watching news and went back to reading news. The best decision I have ever made.

Lightsaber
 
wingman
Posts: 4173
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 pm

lightsaber wrote:
I stopped watching news and went back to reading news. The best decision I have ever made.

Lightsaber

+1 - The greatest gain in mental stability for me was shutting down my Next Door account after 6 days. That was first foray into social media. Knowing my fellow citizens are borderline psychotic was one thing, knowing that the majority of my neighbors were criminally insane (and anonymous) was too much to bear. I'd say daily visits to Non Av is about as much as I can handle, and I still suffer from occasional lapses as the Mods well know.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16015
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:04 am

lightsaber wrote:
I stopped watching news and went back to reading news. The best decision I have ever made.

Lightsaber


+2 A great strategy overall. I skim TheHill for daily political news and follow a few political reporters on Twitter who keep things balanced. I see fascinating industry news and tech developments via my LinkedIn feed - there are great conversations there about things national media hardly touches, like what a hybrid work era really means for people in different industries.

At most for TV I’ll briefly have CNN on in background when getting ready AM and usually catch the 2200 local news. Disabled all news alerts on my phone long ago, there is just no point.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8342
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:25 am

I haven’t watched TV news in 30 years, probably. It’s entertainment of the “if it bleeds, it leads “ genre, despicable isn’t too strong a word. Subscribe to electronic versions of print—WSJ, NYT, WaPo and, they are a mixed bag, too, but better.

Economic blogs are good-Marginal Revolution, Grumpy Economist, New Geography.
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:18 am

acavpics wrote:
Wanna know something else? I spend a LOT less time reading through forums here on our one and only airliners.net. I'm sure all of you have noticed that since COVID took hold, the posts on here have been nothing but depressing predictions of the future. (Yes, things are getting better in some countries. But there is still a lot of depressing news out there.)

At least the Covid posts are mostly lumped into generic threads. If only the same were to happen to US politics! Most of the topics in Non-Av now seem to centre around US politics, often at a parochial level, and seem to be nothing more than political point scoring by the same posters over and over again. I assumed that once Donald Trump left office that would pretty-much disappear, but I assumed wrong. There is very little in Non-Av now that interests me, so I check-in much, much less than I used to. I doubt I'm the only one, going by the rollover and staleness of posts.

This used to be an interesting, lively and occasionally funny forum, but sadly it has completely lost its way. This is an international forum, but it has descended into barely more than a Republican/Democrat bunfight.

Rant over!
Last edited by Braybuddy on Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:11 pm

It is a great post an all, but the issue in the US is that we have far too many people married to the wrong information sources, and they will not let it go. They thrive on for-profit media exhalation of political news. It does spill over into this Non-Av forum because it is a place where luckily a caring about aviation drives people of all political wills. It is also a place where some folks venture out of the bubble.

However ignoring the news is not the whole answer. It is the ability to critically read and reflect on the new news/slant being presented, and where it is in the importance of the world.

From my perspective I will challenge notions that are fed from an echo chamber that is pushing an idea based on how to politically "own" the other party , and does not have a rational basis in facts or law.


As for what Non-AV is, a lot of it is based on people posting new ideas other than politics, and we are missing the sports threads, and general hobbies threads of the past, but that is due to the lack of posters wanting to start up new topics outside of politics.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 8106
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:53 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Wanna know something else? I spend a LOT less time reading through forums here on our one and only airliners.net. I'm sure all of you have noticed that since COVID took hold, the posts on here have been nothing but depressing predictions of the future. (Yes, things are getting better in some countries. But there is still a lot of depressing news out there.)

At least the Covid posts are mostly lumped into generic threads. If only the same were to happen to US politics! Most of the topics in Non-Av now seem to centre around US politics, often at a parochial level, and seem to be nothing more than political point scoring by the same posters over and over again. I assumed that once Donald Trump left office that would pretty-much disappear, but I assumed wrong. There is very little in Non-Av now that interests me, so I check-in much, much less than I used to. I doubt I'm the only one, going by the rollover and staleness of posts.

This used to be an interesting, lively and occasionally funny forum, but sadly it has completely lost its way. This is an international forum, but it has descended into barely more than a Republican/Democrat bunfight.

Rant over!

Good observation, from the UK :checkmark:
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:05 pm

casinterest wrote:
As for what Non-AV is, a lot of it is based on people posting new ideas other than politics, and we are missing the sports threads, and general hobbies threads of the past, but that is due to the lack of posters wanting to start up new topics outside of politics.

Could the lack of posters have something to do with the variety of threads? I don't see the same rollover of posts that I used to see, say, five years ago and more. Seems to me a vicious circle is at play here.
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:19 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
casinterest wrote:
As for what Non-AV is, a lot of it is based on people posting new ideas other than politics, and we are missing the sports threads, and general hobbies threads of the past, but that is due to the lack of posters wanting to start up new topics outside of politics.

Could the lack of posters have something to do with the variety of threads? I don't see the same rollover of posts that I used to see, say, five years ago and more. Seems to me a vicious circle is at play here.


I think in many ways, we’ve all been impacted in significant negative ways by COVID. We can pretend we haven’t, but the outcome of this will be similar to how the silent generation was impacted by the depression. So much mental harm has come from this. It no doubt contributed greatly to the reaction of the election. This has left many feeling hopeless and isolated. Just look at the incidents of late onboard aircraft. We can pretend we’re all strong as an ox, but we aren’t. COVID is a shit show for all of us regardless where we may think we are mentally and physically.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:30 pm

DL717 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
casinterest wrote:
As for what Non-AV is, a lot of it is based on people posting new ideas other than politics, and we are missing the sports threads, and general hobbies threads of the past, but that is due to the lack of posters wanting to start up new topics outside of politics.

Could the lack of posters have something to do with the variety of threads? I don't see the same rollover of posts that I used to see, say, five years ago and more. Seems to me a vicious circle is at play here.


I think in many ways, we’ve all been impacted in significant negative ways by COVID. We can pretend we haven’t, but the outcome of this will be similar to how the silent generation was impacted by the depression. So much mental harm has come from this. It no doubt contributed greatly to the reaction of the election. This has left many feeling hopeless and isolated. Just look at the incidents of late onboard aircraft. We can pretend we’re all strong as an ox, but we aren’t. COVID is a shit show for all of us regardless where we may think we are mentally and physically.



Well maybe we need to concentrate on some good threads for awhile. Covid sucks. I have gotten very used to not wearing a mask again, and now i am going to have to probably start putting one on as we enter the fall and children's activities.
 
johns624
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:20 pm

I try to avoid anything that doesn't directly affect me. I can't change things so why worry about distant problems.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2899
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:58 pm

Someone mentioned The Hill as a reasonable news outlet. Well, guess what I read when I opened the front webpage: "Delta variant raises fears of worsening mutations"

The rapid spread of the delta variant is raising concerns among scientists that the coronavirus could mutate into more transmissible or deadlier strain.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/p ... -mutations

In short, pure scare-mongering.
 
acavpics
Topic Author
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:46 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Wanna know something else? I spend a LOT less time reading through forums here on our one and only airliners.net. I'm sure all of you have noticed that since COVID took hold, the posts on here have been nothing but depressing predictions of the future. (Yes, things are getting better in some countries. But there is still a lot of depressing news out there.)

At least the Covid posts are mostly lumped into generic threads. If only the same were to happen to US politics! Most of the topics in Non-Av now seem to centre around US politics, often at a parochial level, and seem to be nothing more than political point scoring by the same posters over and over again. I assumed that once Donald Trump left office that would pretty-much disappear, but I assumed wrong. There is very little in Non-Av now that interests me, so I check-in much, much less than I used to. I doubt I'm the only one, going by the rollover and staleness of posts.

This used to be an interesting, lively and occasionally funny forum, but sadly it has completely lost its way. This is an international forum, but it has descended into barely more than a Republican/Democrat bunfight.

Rant over!


Even on the Civil Aviator forums, I have seen see some borderline insane posts throughout the last year. People have literally said things like "Commercial air-travel will cease to exist from 2021 onwards" and "airlines will have to ground most of their fleets for at least 5 years."
I'm not exaggerating.

While world-wide air travel is still far below normal, it is picking up drastically on the domestic/short haul side in the US and many other nations. If you think back to a year ago, many said that even domestic travel would take several years to approach 2019 levels. That is clearly not the case, even with the recent surge in cases.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:20 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Someone mentioned The Hill as a reasonable news outlet. Well, guess what I read when I opened the front webpage: "Delta variant raises fears of worsening mutations"

The rapid spread of the delta variant is raising concerns among scientists that the coronavirus could mutate into more transmissible or deadlier strain.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/p ... -mutations

In short, pure scare-mongering.



No. It is science. There is a possibility, especially as the anti vax groups are working hard to avoid vaccinations.

Right now, fortunately, we are not there,” Walensky said. “These vaccines operate really well in protecting us from severe disease and death.”

“But the big concern is that the next variant that might emerge, just a few mutations potentially away, could potentially evade our vaccines,” she added.


People need to read the articles, and not just the headlines.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2899
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:13 pm

Babbling about "science" makes the title of the article no less scare-mongering and no less clickbait. And it is certainly not helpful for people who suffer from anxieties or mental health issues.
And as I have said before, the more people abuse the word "science" to explain away absolutely everything or shutdown any debate, the less meaningful it becomes. Name-calling people is not going to change those people to change their minds. Ranting about "anti-vaxxers" is not going to change the minds of those who are against vaccinations.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:22 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Babbling about "science" makes the title of the article no less scare-mongering and no less clickbait. And it is certainly not helpful for people who suffer from anxieties or mental health issues.
And as I have said before, the more people abuse the word "science" to explain away absolutely everything or shutdown any debate, the less meaningful it becomes. Name-calling people is not going to change those people to change their minds. Ranting about "anti-vaxxers" is not going to change the minds of those who are against vaccinations.


Science is not easy. It can be variable. It is not always fixed like an intangible faith promising something over the horizon. . It is not always as true as a fake lie about an election. Science is fact based. Probability says we have already seen a variant worse than the original, we may see one worse in the future. Scare mongering and click bait are used by news organizations to drive traffic and eyeballs. Those that are drawn to sensationalist headlines, and don't read the article, are usually the ones spreading the fake facts.

Science is the way to explain away the unexplainable. It has methods used to test and discard hypothesis. The folks that continue in their echo chambers of listening to non-scientists, or paid to play actors are the ones that keep spreading the fake facts, and they are the ones you can't convince. Because they only look to the items that affirm their anxieties and mental health issues. They ignore the science that looks for answers and solutions .
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2899
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:40 am

Was just watching a movie set in the early 70’s It featured the San Francisco Chronicle who decided to not publish a story about how a murderer might stop a school bus full of children and kill all kids as to “not upset the public and create a panic”.
Nowadays, mainstream media WILL publish such stories gladly as the more panic = more eyeballs = $$$.
Just shows you how disgusting mainstream media has become over the course of several decades. No moral standards at all, no decency left. Everything goes, as long as it brings in the cold hard cash.
 
acavpics
Topic Author
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:45 pm

casinterest wrote:
e]

Science is not easy. It can be variable. It is not always fixed like an intangible faith promising something over the horizon. . It is not always as true as a fake lie about an election. Science is fact based. Probability says we have already seen a variant worse than the original, we may see one worse in the future. Scare mongering and click bait are used by news organizations to drive traffic and eyeballs. Those that are drawn to sensationalist headlines, and don't read the article, are usually the ones spreading the fake facts.

Science is the way to explain away the unexplainable. It has methods used to test and discard hypothesis. The folks that continue in their echo chambers of listening to non-scientists, or paid to play actors are the ones that keep spreading the fake facts, and they are the ones you can't convince. Because they only look to the items that affirm their anxieties and mental health issues. They ignore the science that looks for answers and solutions .


You are correct. There is, and has always been a POSSIBILITY of a newer, more deadly variant.
And unfortunately, there is always the POSSIBILITY of a completely vaccine-resistant variant showing up at any time. BUT, there has not been proof such a variant circulating. However, COUNTLESS articles have prematurely said that "XXX vaccines may be a significantly less effective against XYZ variant" without any hard core proof of it. This scare-mongering leads to people thinking that the vaccines are useless. No wonder there is so much vaccine hesitancy not just in this country but around the world.

A few hours ago, I saw a CNN article with the headline "UK scientists are certain that a vaccine resistant variant of COVID-19 will pop up."

BUT WAIT....

I kept reading the article, and it said "this is just theory based. There is no evidence of any such variant circulating in the human population currently."
.... So is this supposed to be any useful news? I don't think so.
Hooray for the scientists who just found out about this somehow.

Dieuwer wrote:
Was just watching a movie set in the early 70’s It featured the San Francisco Chronicle who decided to not publish a story about how a murderer might stop a school bus full of children and kill all kids as to “not upset the public and create a panic”.
Nowadays, mainstream media WILL publish such stories gladly as the more panic = more eyeballs = $$$.
Just shows you how disgusting mainstream media has become over the course of several decades. No moral standards at all, no decency left. Everything goes, as long as it brings in the cold hard cash.


I couldn't agree more!
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:49 pm

acavpics wrote:
casinterest wrote:
e]

Science is not easy. It can be variable. It is not always fixed like an intangible faith promising something over the horizon. . It is not always as true as a fake lie about an election. Science is fact based. Probability says we have already seen a variant worse than the original, we may see one worse in the future. Scare mongering and click bait are used by news organizations to drive traffic and eyeballs. Those that are drawn to sensationalist headlines, and don't read the article, are usually the ones spreading the fake facts.

Science is the way to explain away the unexplainable. It has methods used to test and discard hypothesis. The folks that continue in their echo chambers of listening to non-scientists, or paid to play actors are the ones that keep spreading the fake facts, and they are the ones you can't convince. Because they only look to the items that affirm their anxieties and mental health issues. They ignore the science that looks for answers and solutions .


You are correct. There is, and has always been a POSSIBILITY of a newer, more deadly variant.
And unfortunately, there is always the POSSIBILITY of a completely vaccine-resistant variant showing up at any time. BUT, there has not been proof such a variant circulating. However, COUNTLESS articles have prematurely said that "XXX vaccines may be a significantly less effective against XYZ variant" without any hard core proof of it. This scare-mongering leads to people thinking that the vaccines are useless. No wonder there is so much vaccine hesitancy not just in this country but around the world.

A few hours ago, I saw a CNN article with the headline "UK scientists are certain that a vaccine resistant variant of COVID-19 will pop up."

BUT WAIT....

I kept reading the article, and it said "this is just theory based. There is no evidence of any such variant circulating in the human population currently."
.... So is this supposed to be any useful news? I don't think so.
Hooray for the scientists who just found out about this somehow.

Dieuwer wrote:
Was just watching a movie set in the early 70’s It featured the San Francisco Chronicle who decided to not publish a story about how a murderer might stop a school bus full of children and kill all kids as to “not upset the public and create a panic”.
Nowadays, mainstream media WILL publish such stories gladly as the more panic = more eyeballs = $$$.
Just shows you how disgusting mainstream media has become over the course of several decades. No moral standards at all, no decency left. Everything goes, as long as it brings in the cold hard cash.


I couldn't agree more!


So wait, pay less attention to the news, unless you want to pay more attention to fake news, is that what you are stating here?

The issue we have is a very weak electorate, and we see it across threads. They blame the CDC, instead of the politicians they elected and gave money to that promised to do the best.
People blame the media for news stories, but they keep clicking on the links that seem the most outrageous.

The issue isn't paying less attention to news, it is paying more attention to your own consumption of it and the well being of your self and others to what the news actually contains.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2899
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:12 pm

casinterest wrote:
acavpics wrote:
The issue isn't paying less attention to news, it is paying more attention to your own consumption of it and the well being of your self and others to what the news actually contains.


Strawman argument. We are not talking about fake news, we are talking about purposely inciting fear and anxieties using hysterical clickbait headlines by the media.
So, let's all take the title of this thread at heart: "Pay Less Attention to News". Because for sure, the media will not change their attitude.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:33 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
acavpics wrote:
The issue isn't paying less attention to news, it is paying more attention to your own consumption of it and the well being of your self and others to what the news actually contains.


Strawman argument. We are not talking about fake news, we are talking about purposely inciting fear and anxieties using hysterical clickbait headlines by the media.
So, let's all take the title of this thread at heart: "Pay Less Attention to News". Because for sure, the media will not change their attitude.


Paying less attention to news does not stop newsworthy items from occurring, It just makes people less aware and more manipulated.

Look at the folks that only trust Right wing media. They are fed lies , and believe them in lockstep with each other because they stopped paying attention to what they call "Mainstream Media"
 
N965UW
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:31 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:24 pm

It's not just the news, but people's commentary on the news. Comment/reply sections on Facebook, Twitter, etc. are more often than not places where people fight and spew misinformed nonsense. These people take already inflammatory headlines and overreact to them. People also just like to complain, especially on Twitter. Sometimes it seems like the internet is a competition to see who is more miserable. Limiting your exposure to all of this does wonders for your peace of mind.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:04 pm

N965UW wrote:
It's not just the news, but people's commentary on the news. Comment/reply sections on Facebook, Twitter, etc. are more often than not places where people fight and spew misinformed nonsense. These people take already inflammatory headlines and overreact to them. People also just like to complain, especially on Twitter. Sometimes it seems like the internet is a competition to see who is more miserable. Limiting your exposure to all of this does wonders for your peace of mind.

Yes these items are troubling. Especially since they are pushed by paid for Memes on Facebook/Twitter that pose as jokes, but are more like grooming items. When people follow or like these grooming items, they are inundated with more and more. Then they can't escape the articles that reinforce bad ideas. The paid for bad actors are present. People need to be able to reason and think for themselves to escape it. But just paying less attentions to the "News" does not help on it's own.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2899
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:52 pm

One way is the simply cancel your Facebook and Twitter account.
 
Max Q
Posts: 9066
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:04 am

I don’t watch the news to get cheered up, I want to know what’s going on in the world, good or bad


My biggest problem with the news is it’s repetitive nature, I like CNN but they tend to obsess over certain stories and won’t let them go, prefer MSNBC these days


Occasionally watch Fox for a laugh..
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22917
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:52 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
One way is the simply cancel your Facebook and Twitter account.

Done. I tried to figure out what they were about and decided anxiety multiplication.

TV news is all hype. Read news and move on.

Lightsaber
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:55 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
One way is the simply cancel your Facebook and Twitter account.



Nah, I need it to keep in contact with Friends and family.
The best thing is to just block the content that your friends keep reposting that is political in nature by reporting the shared post. Eventually the Facebook algorithm realizes that it is more trouble that it is worth to put questionable stuff in your feed.

As for Twitter,
I don't openly subscribe to notifications from it.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:53 am

So true. The news is just absolutely toxic sludge.

I see other people parroting all kinds of wrong ideas they see on the news. And I become upset and manipulated by news myself because I can’t look away from the cancerous, self aggrandizing, stultified dumpster fire that it is.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22917
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:24 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
So true. The news is just absolutely toxic sludge.

I see other people parroting all kinds of wrong ideas they see on the news. And I become upset and manipulated by news myself because I can’t look away from the cancerous, self aggrandizing, stultified dumpster fire that it is.

Well... the first step to recovery is admitting a problem.

News is sensationalized today. I've read about the British press during Victoria's reign and we've hit a new low.

I'll read my news. e.g., panic on Lambda when Ofizer and Moderna are already proven 90% effective:
Ok, some really bad research is panicking everyone. Pfizer and Moderna are 90%+ effective vs. Lambda. The killed virus vaccines (old school, the SinoVac and Sinopharm) are worthless against it though and people are... extrapolating. This is an *old* varriant that hasn't gone far as Western vaccines work.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... ffd41dbc62

I need to emphasize Lambda is just a media boogieman that is scary to people who don't have Western vaccines.


I am tired of the current news.

Lightsaber
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:57 pm

lightsaber wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
So true. The news is just absolutely toxic sludge.

I see other people parroting all kinds of wrong ideas they see on the news. And I become upset and manipulated by news myself because I can’t look away from the cancerous, self aggrandizing, stultified dumpster fire that it is.

Well... the first step to recovery is admitting a problem.

News is sensationalized today. I've read about the British press during Victoria's reign and we've hit a new low.

I'll read my news. e.g., panic on Lambda when Ofizer and Moderna are already proven 90% effective:
Ok, some really bad research is panicking everyone. Pfizer and Moderna are 90%+ effective vs. Lambda. The killed virus vaccines (old school, the SinoVac and Sinopharm) are worthless against it though and people are... extrapolating. This is an *old* varriant that hasn't gone far as Western vaccines work.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... ffd41dbc62

I need to emphasize Lambda is just a media boogieman that is scary to people who don't have Western vaccines.


I am tired of the current news.

Lightsaber


Oh I definitely go overboard frequently. My feeling on covid is it is being milked by our media no matter how many schoolchildren are hurt by keeping them out of school via misinformation. Hurting children means nothing to our media. They are are proud of their antics. They see themselves as heroes.

After vaccination, covid appears to no longer be a major cause of death. Yet we never hear about our terrible epidemic of obesity that is absolutely savaging our people.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16015
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:59 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
One way is the simply cancel your Facebook and Twitter account.


You can turn off news you don't want to see on Twitter. Twitter is actually an indispensable resource for company intel, thought leadership, and learning about emerging trends in startups and product development.
 
acavpics
Topic Author
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:07 pm

casinterest wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
One way is the simply cancel your Facebook and Twitter account.



Nah, I need it to keep in contact with Friends and family.
The best thing is to just block the content that your friends keep reposting that is political in nature by reporting the shared post. Eventually the Facebook algorithm realizes that it is more trouble that it is worth to put questionable stuff in your feed.



If you are keeping FB solely for the purpose of keeping in touch with your contacts, then I think you could delete the "Facebook" app from your device but keep the "Messenger" app.

I'm not a 100% sure if this works, but I bet it wouldn't hurt to try. :lol:
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2899
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:12 pm

acavpics wrote:
f you are keeping FB solely for the purpose of keeping in touch with your contacts, then I think you could delete the "Facebook" app from your device but keep the "Messenger" app.

I'm not a 100% sure if this works, but I bet it wouldn't hurt to try. :lol:


Bingo! :idea:
 
acavpics
Topic Author
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Max Q wrote:
I don’t watch the news to get cheered up, I want to know what’s going on in the world, good or bad


My biggest problem with the news is it’s repetitive nature, I like CNN but they tend to obsess over certain stories and won’t let them go, prefer MSNBC these days



CNN delivers by far the most anxiety inducing election coverage. I hate it when they examine vote tallies county-by-county and repeat the same sentences over and over again.

I really wish the news anchors would just keep quiet most of the time and just show us the state wide results. After all, it's not like their commentary will change the results of the election. I watched their coverage of the Georgia senate runoffs for about 10 minutes before shutting off the TV and going to bed.

And guess what? The next morning, the election results were as I had hoped. There simply was no need to watch their repetitive commentary before the results came in.
For future elections, I will do my part, which is voting. After that, I will NOT be watching news commentary or looking at polling predictions. I will simply live my life in peace and check the results when they are in. :smile:
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2899
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:24 pm

If CNN purposely disseminates certain "news" items to induces anxiety or purposely banging the scaremongering drum, then they are no better than a troll farm.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:26 am

I watched CNN since their gimmicky, but neat Gulf War coverage in 1991. Unfortunately, over time they gradually sold out 100% of their journalistic standards and their dignity. They turned the OJ Simpson chase and trial into a complete farce and a total joke. Nominally "news," but actually a reality show with 24/7 comment. This was a sinister new invention. Actual news coverage was shrunk or ceased entirely.

The Monica Lewinsky situation was another 24/7 news cycle creation that absolutely printed money for CNN. Since then, CNN has been for entertainment purposes only. They did somewhat okay with 9/11 coverage, but you'd have to still give them an "F" for their coverage in full historical context. Today it's just a travesty - it's not even at the freshman in college level.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16015
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:45 am

LCDFlight wrote:
I watched CNN since their gimmicky, but neat Gulf War coverage in 1991. Unfortunately, over time they gradually sold out 100% of their journalistic standards and their dignity. They turned the OJ Simpson chase and trial into a complete farce and a total joke. Nominally "news," but actually a reality show with 24/7 comment. This was a sinister new invention. Actual news coverage was shrunk or ceased entirely.

The Monica Lewinsky situation was another 24/7 news cycle creation that absolutely printed money for CNN. Since then, CNN has been for entertainment purposes only. They did somewhat okay with 9/11 coverage, but you'd have to still give them an "F" for their coverage in full historical context. Today it's just a travesty - it's not even at the freshman in college level.


CNN, MSNBC and Fox all have their strong and weak points - they also all have anchors who take their roles seriously as well as commentators who are obviously provocateurs. It's still better than the packages loaded with bias at Vice News or Newsmax/OAN - all three are just propaganda outlets for their respective sides. Ironically VOA is probably the least biased of any US network, but hardly anyone watches their content.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13943
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:51 pm

acavpics wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
One way is the simply cancel your Facebook and Twitter account.



Nah, I need it to keep in contact with Friends and family.
The best thing is to just block the content that your friends keep reposting that is political in nature by reporting the shared post. Eventually the Facebook algorithm realizes that it is more trouble that it is worth to put questionable stuff in your feed.



If you are keeping FB solely for the purpose of keeping in touch with your contacts, then I think you could delete the "Facebook" app from your device but keep the "Messenger" app.

I'm not a 100% sure if this works, but I bet it wouldn't hurt to try. :lol:


Facebook is good to keep track of people that you don't have day to day interactions with(distant relatives, friends from school). Messenger is just too much of a pain.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2899
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:56 pm

Anyone who has a Facebook and/or Twitter account is part of the problem, not part of the solution.
 
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16015
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:48 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Anyone who has a Facebook and/or Twitter account is part of the problem, not part of the solution.


As mentioned, Twitter is a great resource for people in certain industries to stay on top of what leaders and creators are thinking and doing. People have conversations there unlike the parade of empty likes and reposts on LinkedIn.
 
Max Q
Posts: 9066
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:59 am

acavpics wrote:
Max Q wrote:
I don’t watch the news to get cheered up, I want to know what’s going on in the world, good or bad


My biggest problem with the news is it’s repetitive nature, I like CNN but they tend to obsess over certain stories and won’t let them go, prefer MSNBC these days



CNN delivers by far the most anxiety inducing election coverage. I hate it when they examine vote tallies county-by-county and repeat the same sentences over and over again.

I really wish the news anchors would just keep quiet most of the time and just show us the state wide results. After all, it's not like their commentary will change the results of the election. I watched their coverage of the Georgia senate runoffs for about 10 minutes before shutting off the TV and going to bed.

And guess what? The next morning, the election results were as I had hoped. There simply was no need to watch their repetitive commentary before the results came in.
For future elections, I will do my part, which is voting. After that, I will NOT be watching news commentary or looking at polling predictions. I will simply live my life in peace and check the results when they are in. :smile:




It can be the OCD network during elections, I actually think their coverage and analysis is quite good but they do get into the nitty gritty to put it mildly



You’re right there’s a lot of repetition and endless debate about the same point that’s been made in exhaustive detail


But I’m a political junkie and I can’t look away, from Wolf Blitzer’s monotone to John King’s ‘Magic Wall’ it’s fascinating to me, especially when so much was at stake and it became clear the four year horror show was going to end
 
Max Q
Posts: 9066
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Mental Health Tip: Pay Less Attention to News

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:09 am

LCDFlight wrote:
I watched CNN since their gimmicky, but neat Gulf War coverage in 1991. Unfortunately, over time they gradually sold out 100% of their journalistic standards and their dignity. They turned the OJ Simpson chase and trial into a complete farce and a total joke. Nominally "news," but actually a reality show with 24/7 comment. This was a sinister new invention. Actual news coverage was shrunk or ceased entirely.

The Monica Lewinsky situation was another 24/7 news cycle creation that absolutely printed money for CNN. Since then, CNN has been for entertainment purposes only. They did somewhat okay with 9/11 coverage, but you'd have to still give them an "F" for their coverage in full historical context. Today it's just a travesty - it's not even at the freshman in college level.



They’re not the network they used to be but I still think they do a good job. As stated I think their biggest weakness is obsessing over one story at the expense of others occasionally


MH370, as tragic as it was captivated CNN like no other story ever, and there were almost no other stories covered by them for months, it was quite unbelievable and actually cheapened the sadness of this mystery



IIRC CNN used to run two channels simultaneously, one was the latest breaking news and the other was more of a ‘longer look’ at recent events, almost in a documentary style and without the breathless hysteria that came later



It’s been years since they had that format but I much preferred it, I’d watch regularly CNN to get the latest then switch to their other channel for a deeper look at things


They should bring that back

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mad99 and 15 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos