Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xwb777
Topic Author

AF393 diversion; sound of explosion in the cabin

Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:44 pm

Airfrance flight AF393, from Beijing to Paris operated by a B777-300ER, had stopped climbing out of PEK at 3000 feet after an explosion was heard in the cabin. The aircraft has diverted to the departure airport and landed safely after 14mins.

Pax onboard the flight has reported that they heard a loud bang and black smoke in the aft of the aircraft folowed by a power failure in the cabin. The explosion has happened at row 52 where there were signs of heat damage.

According to discussions, it appears that an air conditioning duct may have caused the issue.

Source: http://avherald.com/h?article=4ed6f04b

Last edited by xwb777 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ubeema

Re: AF393 diversion; sound of explosion in the cabin

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:10 pm

That is a major emergency. Must have been scary for the passengers. Glad everyone is safe. Do we have reports that China authorities opened an investigation?

Adipocere

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:11 pm

Did the seat cushions get blown out or did they burn up?

ubeema

Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:14 pm

Adipocere wrote:
Did the seat cushions get blown out or did they burn up?

Avherald articled posted by OP reports seat cushions were removed after the incident. Must have been the FAs since they came out with fire extinguishers

SuseJ772

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:42 pm

That is crazy. I am not sure how an AC duct would even do that, nor have I ever heard of such a thing. This is a really big deal and really scary incident for everyone on the plane. I’ll be curious to see where the investigation goes.

miegapele

Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:17 am

Strange, ac usually have pressure switches and relief valves for the worst case, so this should not happen.

clrd4t8koff

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:53 pm

Has anything like this happened on any other 777 (200, 300 or LR)?

hiflyeras

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Glad that everyone is safe! I can’t imagine what is behind that wall panel to cause a small explosion, heat and smoke. I wonder if the fuselage was affected or damaged?

LaunchDetected

Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:21 pm

"
Later the day the airline reported: "A failure of a pneumatic system on the aircraft caused an overpressure in one of the air conditioning pipes, which spread residue and dust in the cabin." A replacement aircraft is being dispatched to Beijing.
"

oldannyboy

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:03 am

Wow, scary, a real poop-in-pants one!

I have heard that this can potentially happen if dust or dirt gets trapped in a pressure switch...

Fixinthe757

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:21 am

Ive worked 777s, likely a APU pneumatic duct clamp let go and caused a burst of air. No explosion, just a large burst of air. Leave it to the media and very uneducated passengers to overhype it

Polot

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:27 am

Fixinthe757 wrote:
Ive worked 777s, likely a APU pneumatic duct clamp let go and caused a burst of air. No explosion, just a large burst of air. Leave it to the media and very uneducated passengers to overhype it

The pictures and descriptions sound like an explosion. A burst of high pressure air can easily cause one. Not all explosions are big bursts of fire and whatnot.

kalvado

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:46 am

Fixinthe757 wrote:

Explosion is a very lousy defined term. It does not imply that military grade compounds were used, destructive expansion is a possible use of the term. For example, Aloha 243 is referred to as explosive decompression.
So while somewhat sensationalist, "explosion" is a legitimate term here.

7673mech

Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:41 pm

Fixinthe757 wrote:

Not overhyped at all.
That area of an airplane - by the crease beams and below along the cargo bay - have insulation.
They also over time accumulate lots of dust.
If an APU bleed duct came loose as you specualte - then there is a lot of hot air blowing dust and insulation everywhere.

No it seems like maybe not a big deal - but to passengers settling in to a long flight - on take off - it certainly would have been starlting.
APU bleed temperatures are hot - someone could have gotten scalded.
The dust and insulation can be choking just doing mainteance - let alone inflight.

So really nothing has been overhyped at all.

Vicenza

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:07 pm

Fixinthe757 wrote:

Pretty arrogant comment, and pretty silly putting yourself on a pedestal because you have "worked 777's" Because the vast majority of passengers have never worked on a 777, or would be in slightest interested in it's a/c system, you claim they are very uneducated???. In fact, by saying "likely' you are even guessing are don't actually know. Indeed, I'd say you, yourself, would be very uneducated compared to most passengers in their area's of expertise/knowledge.

psolk

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:35 am

Fixinthe757 wrote:

I've flown plenty of hours in the back of a 777 and I can tell you this would probably make me poop myself happening unexpectedly out of nowhere on an otherwise normal flight. Perhaps if you heard a loud unexpected bang followed by a cloud of debris on your flight you would be unalarmed because you are so educated but for 99% of us this would be a significant event. No Overhyping it, this would have outright panicked people and if I was onboard it would have had my heart racing as well but I'm just uneducated right...

USAirKid

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:58 pm

I'm guessing the masks passengers and crew were wearing for COVID reasons helped prevent the dust that was kicked up from causing as much trouble as it might have in another time.

Fixinthe757

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:16 am

Vicenza wrote:
Fixinthe757 wrote:

Pretty arrogant comment, and pretty silly putting yourself on a pedestal because you have "worked 777's" Because the vast majority of passengers have never worked on a 777, or would be in slightest interested in it's a/c system, you claim they are very uneducated???. In fact, by saying "likely' you are even guessing are don't actually know. Indeed, I'd say you, yourself, would be very uneducated compared to most passengers in their area's of expertise/knowledge.

Guess its a good thing i know what im talking about then

kalvado

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:51 am

Fixinthe757 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Fixinthe757 wrote:

Well, and when investigation results are published, and if they don't match your opinion - can we have the name of your airline to avoid planes services by unqualified personal?

Fixinthe757

Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:19 am

kalvado wrote:
Fixinthe757 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

Well, and when investigation results are published, and if they don't match your opinion - can we have the name of your airline to avoid planes services by unqualified personal?

Be glad to!

IADCA

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:59 am

Fixinthe757 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Fixinthe757 wrote:

Whether you like the term or not, something "exploded" - as in, rapidly expanded - and blew out an interior-facing cabin structure plus appears to have blown out a window. You seem to be implying that occurrences like that shouldn't upset passengers or the public. If that's the case, feel free to forward this discussion to your bosses and let us all know what happens.