Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Vio
Topic Author

Motorcycle storage near Dallas Ft. Worth Airport

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question to A.net members that live near the Dallas Ft. Worth airport, or frequent that place:

I will start flying regular routes from YYZ to DFW and I'm planning to bring my motorcycle (Triumph Tiger 800XCx) from Canada to Texas during the winter months and store it there. That way, when I'm on my layover I can ride it around town and in the surrounding area. Are there any places I can leave the bike?

1. It has to be secure
2. It has to be covered
3. It has to be heated, as I know that sometimes the temp in Dallas drops below zero.

I have no problem riding my bike in temps between 15*C (59*F) and above. It beats keeping my bike in my garage from Nov till April.

Have any crew members done this here? Leave a bike somewhere warm and use it on their layovers?

Thanks

TWA772LR

Re: Motorcycle storage near Dallas Ft. Worth Airport

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:28 pm

A self storage facility would probably be the best bet.

NIKV69

Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:00 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

I don't believe self storage has heat or electricity?

TWA772LR

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:23 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

There's quite a lot of places that are air conditioned.

Vio
Topic Author

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:53 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

That's true. I don't know how many would allow a vehicle to be parked there for 4 consecutive months.

TWA772LR

Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 pm

Vio wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

That's true. I don't know how many would allow a vehicle to be parked there for 4 consecutive months.

I don't think it's uncommon for people to store vehicles in one for extended periods, think of people storing their classic cars somewhere that's not their house. One issue you'll probably come across is having a much bigger unit than you need.

I was there when my ex gf got her unit last summer. You sign up for however long you need it and pay accordingly. As long as they get their money they don't care.

VolvoBus

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 pm

This is probably an obvious question, but I presume your bike is registered in Canada. Would there be problems bringing it into US for that length of time without being regarded as an import ? Is it street-legal ? Does your insurance cover it for use in US or would you need local cover ?

I remember in the distant past that British drivers insurance required an extension to cover repatriation of the wreckage from the Continent if it was written-off to avoid paying import duties.

Woodreau

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:28 pm

Probably want to look for a place near your layover hotel rather than the airport. Unless your layover hotel is near the airport.

Or maybe see if your layover hotel would be open to you keeping your bike at the hotel.
Last edited by Woodreau on Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vio
Topic Author

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:51 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I was there when my ex gf got her unit last summer. You sign up for however long you need it and pay accordingly. As long as they get their money they don't care.

Indeed. Also some indoor storage companies do not allow "engines" with fuel, etc to be stored. That's my primary concern. I'll have to start calling around.

VolvoBus wrote:
This is probably an obvious question, but I presume your bike is registered in Canada. Would there be problems bringing it into US for that length of time without being regarded as an import ? Is it street-legal ? Does your insurance cover it for use in US or would you need local cover ?

I remember in the distant past that British drivers insurance required an extension to cover repatriation of the wreckage from the Continent if it was written-off to avoid paying import duties.

Yes. It's registered in Canada and my insurance does cover me while in the USA. I believe that anything over 30 days I have to inform my insurance and they'll adjust it (of course for a small fee). Hahaha. I have no check with US Customs. I doubt they'll consider it "import" because I don't have an address in the US as I do not reside there, nor do I intend to. Good point to look into it. I know it's possible. Thousands of Canadians spend their winter months in Southern US to avoid the brutal winters here. I'm sure it's possible. I will have to find out though. Presumption is not enough.

Woodreau wrote:
Probably want to look for a place near your layover hotel rather than the airport. Unless your layover hotel is near the airport.

Yes. It'll have to be near DFW and within a reasonable walking distance from the hotel. (NE side of the airport).

Woodreau

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:58 pm

There is this place that is near the NE hotel complex. Their corporate website mentions motorcycle and ATC storage but I couldn’t find anything specific about this particular location I guess you could call them

Public Storage
(972) 947-2822
https://goo.gl/maps/g6UsR5X9rLjURs55A

Basically ran a “motorcycle self storage” query in google maps

Woodreau

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:02 pm

Texas is pretty particular about registration within 30 days. But you’ll have a Canadian vehicle operator, vehicle registration and insurance so I don’t think it will be a problem for Texas.

All you’d need to do is have a plausible story for the border crossing. Taking a motorcycle trip to Texas.

I always see Quebec license plates in south Florida.

art

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:08 pm

Regarding how long you can keep a vehicle in a foreign country, I think you get a 6 month limit in several European countries after which you have to import it.

Vio
Topic Author

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:54 pm

Woodreau wrote:
There is this place that is near the NE hotel complex. Their corporate website mentions motorcycle and ATC storage but I couldn’t find anything specific about this particular location I guess you could call them

Public Storage
(972) 947-2822
https://goo.gl/maps/g6UsR5X9rLjURs55A

Basically ran a “motorcycle self storage” query in google maps

Thanks. I saw that too. I just can’t find any info saying I can store a motorcycle inside. I’ll call them up though. That would be the best. The price is a bit high, but not too bad.

Woodreau wrote:
Texas is pretty particular about registration within 30 days. But you’ll have a Canadian vehicle operator, vehicle registration and insurance so I don’t think it will be a problem for Texas.

All you’d need to do is have a plausible story for the border crossing. Taking a motorcycle trip to Texas.

I always see Quebec license plates in south Florida.

art wrote:
Regarding how long you can keep a vehicle in a foreign country, I think you get a 6 month limit in several European countries after which you have to import it.

Good points.

Canadians can have their vehicle stay in the US up to ONE year. I’m not changing residences and I’m not moving to Texas, nor I am not going to be working there (well I'll be there for work, but employed as air crew for a foreign airline). My vehicle will be there simply for recreational purposes. The people that I have to work it out with is my insurance company.

My guess is that I’ll be in overnighting in Dallas once or twice a week. It’s totally up to me to pick the pairings that will have me layover there. Given my seniority number, I shouldn’t have an issue with that. I'll plan to bring the bike at the end of October and leave mid April.