727LOVER
Topic Author

Who Remembers Ultrair, Jetrain, Nationsair?

Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:02 am

Where did these carriers fly. Where were they based? How long were they in business?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

DCA-ROCguy

RE: Who Remembers Ultrair, Jetrain, Nationsair?

Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:37 am

NationsAir was a small LCC which flew PIT-PHL-BOS in the mid-1990's. I lived in Steubenville, OH (30 miles west of PIT Airport) at the time, and I knew a student from Boston who used to fly NationsAir home. They flew 732's with a wavy US flag for tail colors.

JetTrain was another small LCC which flew DC-9-30's from PIT, EWR, and MCO in the mid-1990's. They had these little plastic business-card timetables, two of which I have in front of me from my timetable file.  Smile (I have a NationsAir brochure but no timetable)

JetTrain DC-9's had a black cheatline, a black nose, and a black tail with a sunburst train logo on it. JetTrain used to have a billboard along I-279 that said "the cheapest ticket to New York," with a picture of a state trooper's head with sunglasses on it.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

GARUDAROD

Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:44 am

UltraAir was a B727 operator based in IAH with their aircraft in all Business
Class Leather seats. I know they flew to LAX in their short life and I believe
they only lasted a few months.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

wedgetail737

Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:12 am

Ultrair had quite an operation at JFK using 727-200's during the early 1990's. I believe they eventually went to being another low-cost carrier serving the Northeast and Florida...after their services from IAH.

Jet Train was a DC-9-30 operator that served PIT, EWR and MCO as mentioned earlier. A friend of mine flew on them from MCO and EWR and got be a safety card from them. I have a couple of photos of them as well.

I remember Nationsair as an ad-hoc charter airline with 737-200's and 727-200's. I think they did some Myrtle Beach stuff as well.

n907cl

Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:29 am

UltrAir started out as Airline of the Americas and was doing a good job but the owner decided that there was a market for first class service. So the name change to UltrAir with the great seats and first class food , but everybody was looking for Southwest pricing.

UltrAir shut down paying what it owed to vendors and employees. It did not go bankrupt as most airlines do in the end.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Torsten Maiwald
View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Casity

Brian

aa757first

Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:30 am

Ultra Air had five 727 in all business class from a Houston base. They started services in January 1993. They spanned coast to coast. In a few months they ceased operations for six months. They started up again in November 1993, but ended operations for good in summer 1994.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos