Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AMS
Topic Author

Wich Airline Do You Like The Best?

Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:56 am

Please tell me wich airline company you like the best?
regarding Customer service, seat comfort, food, baggage etc..

SkyTeamNo1

RE: Wich Airline Do You Like The Best?

Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:58 am

i would stick with Continental

ssides

Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:00 am

OK, I know this has been discussed SEVERAL (and I mean several) times before, but I will put my two cents in here.

For comfort, service, flight frequency, partner programs, frequent flyer miles, and general overall quality, I think AA is unbeatable. AA has taken a beating on this board in some other threads, but all things considered, I don't think there's a better airline that serves all my needs. The low-fare carriers such as Southwest, JetBlue, etc. are great airlines that are probably more comfortable and provide better service. But I can't take Southwest to London, and I can't fly to my parents' in ABI on JetBlue. For my money, I'm going AA.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

wgw2707

RE: Which Airline Do You Like The Best?

Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:43 am

I have several favorite airlines, many of which are unfortunately no longer with us:

US Carriers:

Pan Am-they were instrumental in establishing transoceanic passenger service.
TWA-this was a classic airline if ever there was one.
United-excellent record, and I had an aunt who was an executive with them  Smile
Delta-Very interesting history of carefully planned mergers and expansion.
Continental-flamboyant past under Bob Six.
Braniff-interesting marketing concepts.
Northeast-fascinating regional trunk line.

Other Carriers:

Sabena-their pre-bankruptcy livery was the best I've seen in recent times.
Lufthansa-impressive history.
Air France
BOAC/BEA/BA/Imperial-fascinating legacy and good food (on a recent flight)
Aeroflot-Very interesting and on a gigantic scale

flymia

Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:56 am

American Airlines for the USA. They just are good nothing great. I never flew Jet Blue. They are my home town Airline here in MIA. But they just give pretty good service also the more room in coach is great. And the best plane i have ever been on was an AA 777. Amazing coach is like busisness.

Other two favourites are Virgin Atlantic because it is overall good excpet for the wieght limits in carry on. I dont get it the wieght is going on the plane no matter what and the bag was 6.1 KG and they made us take stuff out.

Qantas is great. They have the best Inflight entertainment system ever. Service is prertty good. But better on longer flights. Medium and short haul flights are not as good. And there food is not very good but they still are great.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

ACEregular

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:01 am

When I decided to fly LHR-JFK last year I looked into it carefully. I thought VIrgin where an obvious choice due to the publicity they get and the innovative image, however I looked up some passenger comments on www.carsurvey.org and Virgin did not fair too good. I booked with British Airways and it was fantastic from start to finish.

very attentive crew
smart clean plane B747-400 (chelsea rose)
great food
excellant seat pitch, even in economy
on time

Cannot fault them

B777FA

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:13 am

One of my favorites is Continental. I used to commute from GIG and had to take CO on quite a few occations because our flights were full.Even though I was on an ID90 for coach they put me in Business first on a DC-10.I was very impressed with the Agents,flight crew and service.
On one of my return trips to the US they even apologized for not bumping me up,they said that they try and move airline employee up there if their are seats.

Jeff

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:22 am

CONTINENTAL>>>>>NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!!!!! AA IS OK TOO BUT THEIR EMPLOYEES ATITUDE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

planemannyc

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:33 am

Singapore Ailrines. Hands down.

AirAisa and JetBlue are efficient, and refreshing.

Usairwys757

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:34 am

wow we have discussed the hell out of this topic. But i guess ill answer it. I would go with either United because of there mostly on time flights and friendly staff. And the other would have to be US Airways. They dont have that great of service, i just kind of have an attachment to them, since i fly them so much.
Inactive.....

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:43 am

My vote goes to America West.

I have never flown B6 aside from PTV's what is so special about them?

westjet_8

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:47 am

Canadian:
Westjet = great service, cheap, Calgary based, and on new planes PTV's, Leather seats
Canadian Airlines = amazing airline for the west, great fleet, my favoite of all time

American:
Us Airways = best livery, love the A330's
United = love the Denver hub, biggest american airline in terms of flights to Calgary (SFO,DEN,ORD), a pacific airline
Delta = first airline i flew on, great fleet,
Canadian. RIP 1999

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:47 am

I have to say American Eagle first, American Airlines second.

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:49 am

Gee....... I think I'm gonna vote for my employer here

JETBLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWA22,

Come fly us. We have leather seats, phenomenal crew members from check in to inflight, 24 channels of free Direct TV, and the best attitude in the industry.
(PLEASE understand I am NOT knocking other airlines with that last comment! I am just very supportive of my airline!)

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:53 am

Canyon blue:

Maybe someday I will. You guys dont fly to O'hare or Milwaukee. The only 2 places I need to fly to.

Maybe someday I'll just go to JFK just to try you guys out.

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:59 am

AWA22,

Cool. We'll save ya some blue potato chips.

I have flown America West and must say it was a good flight (RNO - PHX)
Very nice people, clean plane and on time.

atrude777

Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:07 pm

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES!!!

2nd favorite is DELTA
3rd is American Airlines.

But the one airline that will ALWAYS hold a place in my heart is TRANS WORLD AIRLINES!!! I miss them sooo much and miss seeing the 747 and L-1011's coming over the threshood in TWA coors at STL!!!!  Sad

anyways..Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:09 pm

I will definetaly stick with Alaska and Horizon. The reason? Well here it goes...

Alaska:
They are the airline that has treated me the best. They have excellent Flight Attendants who are nice and caring about the enjoyment of your flight. The crew is excellent and well trained to make great landings, and smooth flights. The seats on the planes are nice and comfortable and have a neat design.

Horizon:
Most people here can probably agree that Horizon is definately one of the best regional carriers(all opinion). Great service for a regional airline. Well trained Pilots and Flight Attendants just like Alaska. Very Comfortable leather seats and excellent legroom. Very nice aircraft choices, especially the CRJ-700.

I will probably remain with those choices as my favorite airlines. Alaska and Horizon rule!

I  Love BOI

B777FA

Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:14 pm

Towerair,
I'm sure you'd be a little dis-heartened if you took a paycut like us,had your friends furloughed,lost coworkers not just on 9/11 but also 587.After what our airline has gone through.Its very hard to put on a good face BUT a lot of us do and I have every confidence we will come out of this.A lot of us go out in aisle or work the gates and try to give the customer a good service ,after all, its not their fault we are in the situation we are in now.(in every airline you have a few seeds and I'm sure you've got quite a few as well!)

Jeff

air palingus

Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:17 pm

I have been flying in AA for ten years now consecutively, not because I consider them to have a great service, but because of their frequency flyers program, AAdvantage. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and so, I fly with them every year to their hub in MIA.
To Europe, I flew one time with them too (through Chicago) and once with Swiss, taking advantage that they codeshare their flights. Swiss has still a great service (although I never flew in Swissair). However, their flights were never on-time. On average, they were always 15 or 20 minutes late to depart.
I choose AA, not because of their great service, but because of their mileage program.
Air France has a GREAT SERVICE! I flew once with them to Santiago, Chile, and to Nice Cot d'Sur from Paris!---2003
I flew other airlines but on really short flights, so I cannot give a true opinion.
_USAirways (Washington-MCO)--- 1997
_British Midland (ZRH-LHR)---1998
_Aerolineas Argentinas (EZE-MIA)--- I flew with them once a long time ago (1994) so I really don't remmember. Commentaries say that it is again a GREAT AIRLINE.
_PLUNA (EZE-MVD)--- 1998/1999
_United (New York/La Guardia-Denver)---1995
(Denver-MCO)--- 1995
_Southern Winds (flights within Argentina)---2002/2003

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:00 pm

Gotta represent!.......

MIDWEST AIRLINES

show some love people
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

deltadude8

Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:11 pm

Delta dElta deLta delTa deltA

Boeing4ever

Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:27 pm

None other:

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

Paddy

Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:31 pm

IloveBOI said:
"Horizon:
Most people here can probably agree that Horizon is definitely one of the best regional carriers(all opinion). Great service for a regional airline. Well trained Pilots and Flight Attendants just like Alaska. Very Comfortable leather seats and excellent legroom. Very nice aircraft choices, especially the CRJ-700."

I have to agree with that. I took a brief hop from SEA to PDX with them and it was great. The local Microbrews were a nice touch and the flight attendants were very friendly(and one of them was a sexy little blonde thing!)

USairwys757 said:
"And the other would have to be US Airways. They don't have that great of service, i just kind of have an attachment to them, since i fly them so much."

I'm like that about Delta... As for US Airways - The one time I flew with them they were late out of PHL where they left my luggage behind, and the staff at DCA were very gruff when I tried to track it down. Took 2 days to get it back!!!???!!!

aloha73g

Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:48 pm

I think both of Hawaii's airlines deserve mention for excellent service from start to finish. Employees at both Aloha Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines from reservations to customer service to flight attendants are EXTRA friendly and extremely helpful. They definitely understand what Aloha is, and like most people in Hawaii are willing to go out of their way to help total strangers.

The inflight service on Aloha's Trans-Pacific flights is top-notch. Almost everything is free and they make a 5 hour flight seem to pass very fast. Hawaiian's service is not at the same level as Aloha's but is still far superior to any of the other airlines in the market, and nothing makes a passenger feel wanted like the friendly service from the top notch flight attendants on both ALOHA and HAWAIIAN.

Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

JBLUA320

Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:50 pm

JETBLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JBLUA320

TNboy

Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:13 pm

Cathay Pacific is always excellent and is my favourite, with special mentions to Thai, British Airways and Qantas. Of the no frills carriers, I like Southwest, but haven't tried jetBlue yet. Of those no longer with us, Pan Am, TWA and of course Ansett.
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

SESGDL

Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:19 pm

Delta. Always has been, always will be.

Jeremy

BAGSMASHER

Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:17 pm

AMERICAN EAGLE FOR SURE!! NICE FLEET. ESPECIALLY THE RJs.

ted747

Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:32 pm

Guess I have a couple of favs incl SQ and QF, but as regular J class traveller on the Ansett of old - they were fantastic bloody tastic. The use to play a video of Australian cities and animals with music by Enya as you boarded which was brilliant - brings tears to my eyes.  Crying

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:53 pm

Just to remind people of my username's origins  Big thumbs up :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Philippe Noret
View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Wilkes

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dayot Jean-Charles
View Large View Medium

Photo © Torsten Maiwald

My favorite airline until they got gobbled up by AF, now I have no favorite airline, I fly AF and SkyTeam airlines because I'm a mileage whore, but that's it  Sad
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Cathay Pacific

Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:01 pm

I'll go for Cathay Pacific:

Service: Excellent
Catering: Excellent
Seat comfort: Good (could do with an extra inch or 2 in their Econ seat)
IFE: Good choice of programs (the stuff they show are more to my taste)
Luggage Handling: Always comes out when I arrived at the reclaim area.

[Edited 2003-08-14 10:08:13]
cathay pacific, now you're really flying

ERJ135

Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:05 pm

Tough question really and no obvious answer comes to mind.
In the USA I'd say Midwest Express as they were when I flew them, Excellent airline but expensive, you get what you pay for.
I liked the Chautauqua Airlines operation out of Columbus as HP express, because I'm a sucker for the ERJ.
I recently discovered a wonderful airline with an unusual name of Jet Magic, they are based in Cork Ireland and fly to a variety of European cities using the ERJ145 and I believe will get the first ERJ135 on September 24th. This is a full service airline with meals and all the bells and whistles of a good mainline carrier. I will get my first three flights with them in October all going well!
I so want to fly on SCAT one day!

lovefieldflyer

Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:03 pm

Southwest Airlines. Reliable service, great fares and friendly staff.

cedarjet

Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:10 pm

I like BA the best, they represent their home country on six continents with professional service and a corporate history that starts with man's first powered flight, close enough. Along with KLM, they invented longhaul flying. Their hosties may not be the most friendly but they've seen it all and if there's a problem they'll fix it. Virgin's hosties may be younger, prettier and friendlier but they're teenagers, and if there was a problem like (god forbid) a fire, they'd be gone behind curtains and you'd be on your own.

Like I said elsewhere today, I'm flying them to Sydney tomorrow night in business class so I'll post a trip report.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

AMS
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:21 am

I think that Thai Airways on 744 in Y class is quite comfortable! quite a good seat pich and good recline position.

Although I also used C class on a TG 744, and TG has 2 different configurations one with 72 seats and one with 50 seats in C

I flew FRA-BKK in C with the version with less seats, and it was nice!, however on my way back BKK-FRA I had the other one, wich was uncomfortable and cramped.

I complained with TG Customer relations, and asked them why they still have these 2 different configurations, however no one gave me a clear answer.

dash8tech

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:19 am

Horizon, and followed closely thereafter Alaska...

...of course there may be some bias in my opinion!

Wink/being sarcastic

JGPH1A

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:22 am

Can't beat the Southern Hemisphere ex-colonial crowd - QF, NZ, SA - friendly staff, better than average food, stiff competition so they really TRY. And always out front with IFE, because of having people on their aircraft for 10 hours at a time, minimum - I watched 7 movies on my last trip to SYD with QF, and 5 on the way back - caught up on all my movie watching.

Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

teva

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:32 am

My favorite was Swissair.
Today, my 3 favorites are Emirates, Air France and LanChile
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

aviationmaster

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:12 am

My favorite were Swissair and Crossair. Since their bankruptcy my favorite is now SWISS. Another favorite is BWIA.

Chi-town

Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:25 am

Southwest Airlines. No doubt about it.

Vimanav

Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:48 am

PA and AI - its a close tie between the two for top favourite.

LH is highly respected

TG/SK are the airlines I grew up with

Love 'em all !!!
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

GALLO_MEXICO

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:00 am

1. British Airways

ID: 386842>

2. Lufthansa

ID: 383117>

GALLO_MEXICO

Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:04 am

1. British Airways

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juan Carlos Guerra Aviation Photography of Mexico

2. Lufthansa

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juan Carlos Guerra Aviation Photography of Mexico

Lan_Fanatic

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:32 am

1st LanChile

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tibor Mester

2nd KLM

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alexander Jonsson

3rd British Airways

View Large View Medium

Photo © Henry Lidster

flynboy747

Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:57 am

DELTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aussie747

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:24 am

As a member of the One World my opinions are probably limited to BA/AA/QF/CX/LA/IB and the likes but here goes.

CX - J class fantastic in their new beds esp the CX HKG lounge (SYD-HKG RTN)

QF- Y class long haul with new PTV and Cabin service is great eg SYD-LON/LAX

AA- thoroughly impressed by the on time service of the 8 Internal flights all flights arrived either between 30 minutes earlier or on time. the following flights used
LAX-JFK, ORD-JFK, ORD-MIA,MIA-JFK,LGA-DFW-LAS, LAS-SJC,SJC-LAX

JAL

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:31 am

I like Japan Airlines the best but I also like Cathay Pacific ; BA ; Qantas ; Swiss ; AA ; Aer Lingus ; FinnAir ; Lan Chile ; Alitalia ; Iberia and fiinally Canadian Airlines
Work Hard But Play Harder

Motorhussy

Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:52 am

I think it's a shame that the majority of people have to put up with american airlines (airlines from the US, not American Airlines) as Asia and theSouth Pacific offer a totally different calibre of airline.

Cathay Pacific
Thai
Singapore
Qantas
Air New Zealand
Lan Chile

These are the airlines all others should be measured by - particularly SQ and CX.

It's just my opinion, but having lived six and half years in New York and regularly flying to LAX and HNL,it's a pleasure to be back in the South Pacific.
come visit the south pacific

wedgetail737

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:22 am

In the past, my favorite airlines were Air Cal, Sunworld, Midway (circa 2), Braniff (circa 2), Delta (not now) and USAir (not US Airways).

Presently, I would say Alaska. American is a close second because of their legroom in coach.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos