Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

John
Topic Author

Why Didn't Southwest Consider Wilmington, DE (ILG)

Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:38 am

Just across the way from PHL and none of the air traffic headaches and delays. It would probably be worth the investment to upgrade the terminal facilities there. ILG could certainly be marketed as a convenient hassle free alternative to Philadelphia, as are Manchester, NH and Providence, RI to BOS. Just a thought.

[Edited 2003-11-15 23:40:50]

STT757

RE: Why Didn't Southwest Consider Wilmington, DE (ILG)

Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:40 am

Atlantic City or Allentown would have been better alternatives because of their close proximity to not just Philadelphia but also NYC and New Jersey.

Wilmington is too close to BWI, and it's facilites are vitually non-existant.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

luv2fly

Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:42 am

Would there be the traffic to support a minimum of 10 flights a day, as WN does not come in with less than that number. Also what kind of operating cost would ILG charge over the costs that PHL is charging them. I would imagine PHL was very aggressive to get them into PHL, in the unlikely even anything happens to US.
You can cut the irony with a knife

John
Topic Author

Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:47 am

There is a large population of people that live in Delaware and commute to PHL everyday. It's only about 30 minutes driving time, maybe less without any traffic.

SWAFA30

Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:10 am

Just across the way from PHL and none of the air traffic headaches and delays. It would probably be worth the investment to upgrade the terminal facilities there. ILG could certainly be marketed as a convenient hassle free alternative to Philadelphia, as are Manchester, NH and Providence, RI to BOS. Just a thought.

You may want to take a look at this by Mike Boyd article that appeared on aviationplanning.com. It's a lengthy article but I think it answers your question. Just scroll down the page a bit to find the article.

The article makes two main points. The first, that SWA had to get to PHL before jetBlue did. Not the Philly market, PHL. Second, the article theorizes that in order to remain competive SWA can no longer rely on secondary airports and smaller markets. Check out the article and draw your own conclusions. There is a thread that references this article somewhere in the a.net database. It sparked a pretty lively debate.

http://www.aviationplanning.com/asrc1.htm

John
Topic Author

Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:48 am

SWAFA30, I'm assuming you work for Southwest? Give us YOUR opinion of the PHL decision.

usairways85

Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:52 am

Wilmington couldn't handle southwest. The parking lot is extremely small and so is the terminal. Anyway it's even closer to BWI, probably only 45 min away. If they went to ILG then it would be drawing paxs from BWI, at PHL they won't be drawing away as many paxs. I just can't see ILG ever becoming a SWA city. especially since SWA comes with at least of a dozen flights not just one or two a day.

Where i thought SWA would end up is ABE. To me that would make the most sense, but apparently SWA wants to try something new. ACY already has Spirit and i don't think there is that much of a market for a dozen SWA flights

ORD2PHL

Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:09 am

No way is Wilmington closer to BWI than PHL or the surrounding Philadelphia area. I travel this corridor frequently from Phila. to Balt. Wilmington is 25 minutes from center city Philly.

yyz717

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:04 am

WN is renowned for considering all airports in a region/market before making a decision. As mentioned, they probably saw a larger market by serving PHL directly AND to get into the market before JetBlue.

Also, I think they saw the high yield/fare situation caused by a dominant US along with US weakened financials, and hence it became an irresistable oppy. WN has already been successful at reducing US presence at their BWI hub.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

SWAFA30

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:39 am

SWAFA30, I'm assuming you work for Southwest? Give us YOUR opinion of the PHL decision.

That's a tough question to answer. I have worked for Southwest for close to 8 years and watched the company literally double in size. Since I started working here we have added service to PVD, MHT, BDL, BUF, ISP, ALB, PBI, JAN, ORF, JAX, and RDU. I have watched BWI grow from simply an alternative to DCA and IAD into the engine that has driven our phenomonal success in the northeast. When I started the airplanes were orange, the -300 was our flagship and a 3 hour flight was a long haul. The SWA of today is in many ways, not the company I came to work for.

Management's track record speaks for itself. Their decison making and guidance have produced quarter after quarter after quarter of profitability.
This is especially impressive in light of the economic beating the airline industry has taken over the past few years. It is patently obvious that this teams know how to run an airline.

What is different now, from when I signed on back in 1996 is that we are no longer the only low cost game in town. In years past, the well of LCC demand was deep but the supply was very limited. We had the luxury to take our time and select our markets carefully, knowing that the cities we passed on would be patiently waiting when got around to them. Those days are over. We are not simply competing with the other majors, we are competing with other LCCs who are trying their best to out-Southwest, Southwest.

The industry has changed, drastically. The challenge now is to figure out how to tweak our business model to keep pace with the marketplace and preserve our core strengths. Management has a tough job. There has to be a temptation to morph SWA into jetBlue version 2.0 in the way jetBlue is essentially Southwest version 2.0. The only problem is that while jetBlue's success is undeniable, their long term viability is still a question mark. If we remake ourselves in jetBlue's image and jetBlue falters, then what? On the other hand if we sit out of the game too long and jetBlue continues to flourish...we then find ourselves struggling to play catch up. In some ways our size robs us of the agility that at one times was a major asset. It takes longer to slow and turn a cruise ship than a speedboat.

Stay the course or keep up with the jetBlueses? It would seem that management has decided to do a little of both. They are eschewing pricey frills and making do with less expensive "tweaks" to our product. For example, there are no definitive plans for IFE or assigned seating. We have made livery and interior changes but the overall product remains decidely no-frills. On the other hand with PHL, you see us straying a bit from the model by making an almost unprecented foray into another carrier's fortress hub. The almost universal opinion is that PHL is a delay proned headache that we could have easily avoided by going to ABE. But, management has gone on record as saying that we simply could not let jetBlue get there first. PHL will be a pivotal station for us. The lessons learned there could help SWA rewrite it's playbook. If PHL is really as bad as everyone says and we can make it work, really work. Then what major airports that were previously off-limits are now on our radar screen? ATL?, MSP?, DFW? Likewise, we are using the flexibility of the 737 model to branch out into longhaul transcon routes to make sure that we stay in that game too. Jim Paker and Gary Kelly have both been quoted in the press as saying that we are looking at smaller jets. Though it would be tough to let go of our nearly 40 year love affair with a single model...I think if we needed to do so to compete, we would do it when it became an absolute necessity and not a moment sooner.

Overall, I think management is doing an amazing job of trying to stay ahead of the trends in an industry that can turn on a dime. I'm not inclined to fall in lockstep behind a team because they sign my paycheck. However, until they do something to lose it, they have my trust. In my opinion they have earned it. As I said earlier, their track record speaks for itself.

[Edited 2003-11-16 02:42:37]

prosa

Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:14 am

You may want to take a look at this by Mike Boyd article that appeared on aviationplanning.com ... The article makes two main points. The first, that SWA had to get to PHL before jetBlue did. Not the Philly market, PHL. Second, the article theorizes that in order to remain competive SWA can no longer rely on secondary airports and smaller markets.

Very interesting article. At first it's hard to believe that B6 could be serious competition for WN, given the latter's far greater size, but I suppose stranger things have happened?
The big question: will WN ever go over to reserved seating? Before I read this article, I would have said no way whatsoever. But now, maybe.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

usairways85

Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:25 am

ORD2PHL:
i meant ILG is closer to BWI than PHL is to BWI.

atrude777

RE: Why Didn't Southwest Consider Wilmington, DE (

Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:02 pm

SWAFA30-IN Other words..YES? lol

But ot reach I am glad they chose PHL, good to compete with B6 however I think they were better off hitting PIT where US Airways is weaker there.

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:56 am

Atrude777,

You missed the point, WN isn't going after US. They are looking to build and expand and protect their market. PHL is a much bigger and more lucrative market that PHL. Its also the last major market on the Eastern Seaboard that hasn't been touched by the LCC's.

SWAFA30,

You make an excellent point that many people overlook in this industry.......
Size and age is both an asset and a liability....your analogy with the cruiseship and the speedboat is very true. Its very easy to go all out in your youth, but the increasing size adds many complexities that newer and smaller carriers do not face.

redngold

RE: Why Didn't Southwest Consider Wilmington, DE (

Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:34 am

ILG is not located in the center of Wilmington; it is south of Wilmington, off I-95. The runways are not in good condition and only have military markings. There is a very small terminal. ILG is located 40 minutes from BWI and 30 minutes from PHL.

If WN wanted to serve an underserved population with an airport in Delaware, DOV would be a better option. It is an active Air Force base with flights coming in and out all the time as troops and material are moved overseas (unfortunately also the military's morgue and identification center.) There is no easy access from the central Delmarva peninsula to any major airport (you have to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and deal with traffic to BWI; the highway up to PHL is indirect, toll, and often congested; and SBY is a tiny airport)

redngold
Up, up and away!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos