Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cargoman

RE: Any Other Airliner Enthusiasts Feel Like Oddballs?

Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:13 pm

How are things Braybuddy. I know how you feel, I've had a life long intrest also in civil aviation and I am also fortunate to be working in the industry.I get the same usual comments from workmates but at the same time they come running over when something strange is parked on the ramp or they don't remeber a flight number.We'll teach them yet.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:18 pm

I agree Momona737, SXM would be the ultimate destination and I'm surprised there aren't package trips there for aviation enthusiasts (maybe there are and I just haven't heard of them). Only trouble is, would you ever leave the beach? No problem if you were on you own, but if you were with friends they'd probably end up disowning you.
In case you missed it, here's a clip of a Corsair 747 landing there, which was posted somewhere on this site recently: http://www.flightlevel350.com/index.php?action=dorate&cat=24&pic=160

[Edited 2004-08-21 14:20:47]

tavong

Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:34 pm

HEHEHE well i'm a Doctor and i love airplanes so most of my companions stare at me like the "geek" anyway i love this things and i'm proud of that...at least i can book my fligths knowing wich plane i'll book, the airline, service etc... but the best advantage you have is to know the cheapest fares to fly  Big thumbs up

Gus
SKBO

Airdolomiti

Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:54 pm

I've also been a big airplane nut since as long as I can remember...when I was about 2 years old I had a few of those ERTL models (the metal ones with retractable landing gear), and I would always take some or all with me in a bag when I went on holidays. They must've weighed more than a few pounds, but I just wouldn't part with them!

Nowadays my passion is stronger than ever, but I've never really been made fun of. Luckily I have cool friends who respect each other's interests, and in fact I am also sort of the class' "travel agent" (I've provided mates with info on airlines and fares for their holidays more than once). They also find it's cool how I have a row of LH Y class seats as a computer chair, and how I keep a logbook of my flights (they saw the whole process while we flew to Sicily on a school trip).
My mum very much supports my hobby (a very good thing indeed), and most of my parent's friends (whom I also know quite well) tell me it's great that I have a passion. I can only agree with them  Big grin

I'm not sure what kind of people I'll meet when I finish school and move somewhere else, but all I know is that I won't care if they think I'm weird, I'm an aviation freak, period  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Federico

MontanaFL

Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:52 pm

ALL OF YOU PEOPLE ARE GEEKS, WEIRDOS, ODDBALLS, FREAKS. How can anyone be so interested in planes.........What am I saying? I am a member here.

OH MY GOD!!! I'M A GEEK TOO! That's right. I am coming out of the closet.

On a more serious note. Since I have found this site, I see that I am not the only one who has a passion for anything to do with planes and /or airports. I will admit not as into it as much as some, but I do enjoy the pictures and the threads.

Jet-lagged

Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:05 pm

Since finding this site and joining I enjoy commercial aviation even more. I now keep a little book and spreadsheet of my spotting, and have learned a lot from the other members. Thanks guys and gals!

bill142

Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:28 pm

Yes I do get that at times. A few weeks ago in class we had to technology form and need in a few ads that had come from magazines. One of the ads was for Lauda Air and it showed a 777. So naturally I started picking apppart the technology on the 777, with the very limited technical knowlege I have. I got a number of weird looks.

access-air

RE: Any Other Airliner Enthusiasts Feel Like Oddba

Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:54 pm

My Dad was into planes and also trains..but I think i found planes to be more exciting...
Since he was older than your typical dad, he liked older planes and used to sit up late at nite and Id be him watching draw pictures of WW-I Biplanes. They were good, I only wish that I had some...to this day... He also worked in the railroad yards in Chicago and most importantly worked for Eastern Airlines in Chicago as a Mechanic. He would keep me on edge as a child when he would describe the operations at Midway in the mid to late fifties. He'd often tell me about the Capital Air Line Viscounts (as he called them "Screaming Mimis"). I always wondered what he meant by that..I would find out later....
Okay..its Later.... and One Night in probabaly Spring 1972 we went out to the Sterling/Rock Falls Airport.. I was only about 5 years old and I went out to stand by the fence with him...Little did I know that I would be finding out about that "screaming mimi" thing...All of sudden we could see landing lights at the opposite end of the field and they got closer to the ground as the plane landed.. Well..My dad purched me up on a small junction box that gave me a better view....
As the Plane got loser Thats when I heard it...This was an Ozark Air Lines Fairchild FH-227B!!! Powered by none other than those Scaaaaaareeeeeaming Rolls Royce Darts!!!
All I could see was three bright lights coming at me and this horrible screaming noise!!!! I jumped down and busted a move right back to the car where my mom was.That first time I stayed in the car...but subsequent times I'd stand closer and closer to the fence....Eventually, I was right up there with my Dad...Exposure to this airline and airplane is what spaked my passion for planes...
When I started school..It was all I could talk about...Instead of doing school work I would sit and draw pictures of Ozark FH-227Bs...and that was when I was in 2nd grade...No one understood me. One day whilst getting on the bus, to go home, I knew exactly what Ozark's afternoon scheduled departure was and when I looked up that afternoon..low and behold there was an Ozark FH-227B cirlcling to land over head. So I stopped to gaze....much to the chagrin of those standing in the queue behind me...Mr. Stevens, our principal said to me.."Gary, get going this isnt time to be watching the Turboprop."..Back then our music class faced the general direction of the airport...I would sit near the back of the class and prick my ear up to the open window so that I would possibly hear the plane as it would go thru town in the 1030am-ish time slot..
I was obsessed.....and also heart broken when Ozark stopped flying out of our airport on 31 Aug 76....I was fortunate enuff to get some audio tape recordings the Ozark planes as they flew thru.
Britt came along and replaced Ozark with Beech 99s.....No plane would and could ever replace my beloved FH-227 but Beech 99s became my next obsession. Over summer vacations instead of having friends (which I didnt have any, everyone always thought I was weird cause I liked planes) I would spend my whole entire days at our airports and watch Britt Beech 99s do their thing...And yes, I took pictures....I learned to take pictures back in 2nd grade and my very first shot was in 1975 (2nd grade) of an Ozark FH-227B the negative which got destoyed in our old house....
On our frist trip to Moline in 1977 when I was in 4th grade I got to see more planes...Ozark FH-227Bs Ozark DC9s United 737-200 and United 727-22C....Of course I took pictures....with my old Instamatic using 126 film...
Thru the rest of my years I never found a single person that was my age that liked planes....So as kid it was a very lonely and painful existance...All thru school I was teased....although they said I could draw airplanes very good..
Thats wasnt what I wanted, I wanted just one person to hang out with that was my age to share the same fanatacism that I did. It never happened...
Later in life, as in now....I still get strange looks from people when I tell them of my exciting adventure to fly over to England just to fly on a BAC One-Eleven...I will always love airplanes and airlines, when people let me down and they do often, I can always just pop in a tape of my aviation adventures and go back in time to hear what makes me happy.....Heck I even have my Dad's voice on tape on a few of my earlier tapings...What a great way to remember my Dad...He and I sharing the one thing that brought us closest together....One of the very last things I did for my dad concerning planes, was back in early 1992 a few months before he died...I did an impromptue Slide show of all my airplane slides....He loved it....It made me happy the be able to help take his mind off of his pain...if just for a bit....he had cancer.

If you look at my Profile, I have a link to my own website dedicated to the FH-227....Most of you have prolly seen it..Some maybe not....Its just my way of leaving a little legacy of what Im about for everyone to share and enjoy....
Thanks for this thread!!

Cheers, Access-Air

santosdumont

Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:22 am

I can totally relate to everyone's stories. My wife thinks I'm looney tunes for wanting to become a pilot at 36.

It's something I wanted to do since I was five. I took about a 30-year detour to do high school and college (back in the go-go mid 80s, when everybody wanted to be an overnight biz tycoon) convinced that I should do something "practical" like be an economist or an accountant.

After ten years as a journalist, I decided it wasn't the thing for me. Two pivotal moments that helped me toward that conclusion were when I was caught in the middle of a mob of reporters pushing and shoving trying to get their mitts on a copy of some tape (forgot what it was of), and when I was on another story and suddenly noticed that every other reporter was chain-smoking, had bags under their eyes and had bourbon for breakfast.

Fast forward to right now. I still get goose bumps when I'm at any airport, and still get peeved at my wife when she starts talking during pushback/taxi/takeoff. A few instances of positively shi**y service (from US, Brazilian, Colombian and European carriers) have not managed to dim the luster of aviation for me. Like many of you, I have no desire to spend eight hours a day on my hind quarters in front of a computer. I guess I'm a big kid at heart, along with the rest of this bunch...

StevenUhl777

Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:25 am

NOBODY at work understands why I take pics of airplanes..........they look at work as such and couldn't care less about the airplanes. There are a few that like general aviation. But, on the other hand, I don't understand why alot of my co-workers enjoy getting up at 5am to sit in a tree waiting for a deer to walk by so they can shoot it!!!!

LOL!!!  Laugh out loud

That summarizes EXACTLY the relationship between my Dad and I! He is a hunting/shooting buff and knows everything there is to know I think. He's a retired UA mechanic of 35+ years, and to him, airplanes just remind him of work, and always refers to travel as a "busman's holiday" and can't understand why I'm such a nutcase, but respects my interest, most of the time.

Someone mentioned it's more like a disease...I'll agree, to an extent. I first flew when I was 3 weeks old, and I think that did it! UA DC-8-62, SFO-ORD. I can't go anywhere without looking up or trying to identify what sort of plane it is. Going to the airport is like a day at the beach, and I love the whole experience from start to finish.

Aviaiton is my life, interest, etc. Frankly, I don't care what other's think...as has been stated, a lot of people are in no position to be criticizing me for liking airplanes, etc., espeiclly those beanie-baby collectors like someone said...LOL! More than anything, people are amazed at what I know and shrug it off and keep their thoughts to themselves. I do have other interests, like computers, history, German beers, among others. But I'm an aviation nut through and through.

One funny story I always like to tell is this: when I lived south of SF as a kid, I played in little league, my Dad helped with the team. Well, I played LF usually. During one game, some kid hit the ball my direction, but I didn't see it. Why? Well...there was a UA 741 or 742 making it's final turn to 28L/28R, that's why! Even better yet, it was lowering it's flaps and landing gear, and I was in a trance watching that beautiful plane fly right over me. In the meantime, the ball rolled right past me and the team (and I think my Dad, too!) was screaming at me to get it and throw it back. Well, the plane was still in view and making it's final approach, so doing that was clearly out of the question! I got around to it eventually. Needless to say, we lost the game and no pizza afterwards.  Laugh out loud

A lot of people are amazed that I can identify commericial aircraft without hesitiation, often where it's going or coming from. Some other quirks that really make people wonder:
- Depending on the airport, I can usually figure out what runway it's going to land on, the approach, where it will turn, etc. People are even more amazed at that. Of course, that's really easy when you're in the window seat.  Big grin and even more so when Ch. 9 is on. Even without it, I know where we're going.
- I can identify a Boeing aircraft just by the shape of the metal door covering the main landing gear.
-I was on a train from Farnborough to Waterloo about a month ago, and on the way in, we saw a UA 744 making its final approach to the west. I told my 2nd cousin it was either #918 from IAD, or #954 from SFO. She was amazed at how I could possibly have known that.
- On approach into ORD form LHR on #949, I knew that we were going to make two left turns to line up for 9R. I told that to the gal next to me, and she seemed surprised I knew that in advance. Sure enough, we mad the two left turns and she said something to the effect that "wow, you were right!". Actually, only 2/3 right...during the final left turn I thought we'd turn directly 090, but it was 060, so we made a slight right bank to line up for 9R.
- I was on a date a few months ago, northeast of Seattle, when the BA 744 came in. I knew instantly it was coming in from LHR, flying in a SW direction. My date noticed it fly over, and without really thinking about it, I just blurted out that it was BA from London, a 747-400, and it was heading southwest and that we would see it make a left turn shortly to make it's final approach to either 16L or 16R. Needless to say, we're "just friends" but then I haven't heard from her in a while... Nuts  Laugh out loud

What ultimately makes someone a bonefied airplane nut? Airliners.net, of course! These discussion forums are like CRACK...I can't get away...if anyone at work ever bothered to see how much time I spent on this website while on the job, I'd probably be fired on the spot!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

This was FUN...thanks for posting the topic. I'm an airplane nut, proud of it, and could care less what anyone thinks. Deep down, I think a lot of people are interested in planes and have a lot of questions they'd love to know. Some ask, some don't.

[Edited 2004-08-21 18:44:43]

cactushp

Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:28 am

To be truthful, I've been interested in aviation ever since about 2 years old.
When I took my first 747 flight on HP from PHX-HNL.
I've always been very,very heavily interested into aviation.
But since I became a member on a.nutters, I learned so much from people all over the world.
And also, when I'm in the terminals shooting and taking a picture of each reg.# people give me a look. But then they probaly think that "oh, he's just a kid taking a picture of the airplane he's riding on". But that's cool. Oh, yea, at school, we came up with this list of what to write about, and I said airplanes, America West, the airline industry, and Sky Harbor. So yeah, were all a big, happy, geeky family. Cheers!!

CactusHP

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:33 am

I can't remember when or how my interest in airliners started, but may have been when I was about 8 or 9 in the early '60s and an uncle taking me for the occasional drive to Dublin Airport (he had a CAR!). I have a vivid memory of the fuselage of some turboprop lying across the hedge of a field. It must have crash-landed and seemed to have been there for some time. Silver City Airways for some reason comes into my head, though I could be miles out on this. I was fascinated by it and I think I may have seen it more than once. (Things were slower in the '60s -- I doubt if any crashed plane would be even visible, let alone be left lying there and accessible to the public, nowadays). That may have been the initial spark, and I remember buying those Airfix models, either of ships or planes. I remember building the BOAC 707 a couple of times, and being fascinated by how modern it looked compared to the turboprobs which were mostly in sevice then. My interest lay dormant for a number of years, until my first flight in August 1972 when I was 18. I was terrified when I got on board that BEA Trident, one had just crashed two months earlier after taking off from Heathrow. It was big news in Ireland at the time as several of the captains of Irish industry were on board that doomed flight to Brussels. (It stalled after take-off from LHR after the captain had a heart-attack.) I was too scared to look out the window after take-off for what seemed to be a few minutes. When I did I saw what I assumed to be Dublin still below -- I couldn't believe it when an announcement was made telling us we were over Liverpool. I was travelling on to Nairobi, and I couldn't believe the East African VC-10 at LHR was so small -- we had to board the old-fashioned way up steps and it looked tiny from the top. I had imagined it would be much bigger for such a long flight. A week later we had to fly from Nairobi to Mombasa in a DC-9, and shortly after take off the captain announced that a warning light had come on telling him that one of the engines was overheating. I was TERRIFIED! Particularly when I saw fire engines speeding towards our plane as it came in to land. When the engine was checked out we reboarded, and the same thing happened again. I, along with a few other passengers, refused to go back up in that plane. Alternative arrangements were made for us, but then they told us the aircraft had been replaced (they could have been lying), so we all travelled on that. I was shi**ing myself for that flight and for a long time after that I was terrified flying, though it didn't stop me - I had caught the travel/aviation bug! Maybe that was part of it -- didn't someone once say that we are attracted to the things that frighten us? This seems to have been similar to your story above, Access-Air, where you ran away terrified from the sound of the turboprop engines.
I have no problem at all flying now, though sometimes, depending on the airline and aircraft, I am uneasy, and I STILL don't like flying on DC-9s or their successors.
After that first trip I never looked back, I went out and bought all the models and books I could find. As I said on an earlier post, even after 32 years, arriving at an airport and getting that first whiff of kerosene still gives me a great buzz!

[Edited 2004-08-21 18:46:14]

[Edited 2004-08-21 18:51:32]

[Edited 2004-08-21 18:53:22]

[Edited 2004-08-21 18:54:11]

StevenUhl777

Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:41 am

getting that first whiff of kerosene still gives me a great buzz!

Nothing like the smell of Jet-A in the morning! (with apologies to Robert Duvall in 'Apocalypse Now')

Who needs Starbucks when you can inhale jet exhaust?!  Laugh out loud I inadvertently drove behind the #2 engine of a UA 747 (#929 from LHR and ORD) back in 1996 when I worked at SEA, before it was shut down. Got a nice warm blast of exhaust...felt great!  Big thumbs up

lnglive1011yyz

Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:27 am

My friend Matt and I often say to each other "Man, NONE of our friends could ever understand this..." when we get a whiff of the burnt jet fuel, or burning rubber on landings..

It truly is something that you don't understand, if you don't have an appreciation for the whole aspect of "Airliner Spotting".

Now, what I usually do, is ask people to come with me.. and then they often go "wow, this is actually really cool!" So then they can begin to at least understand  Smile

The good thing is, we're not alone, there are plenty of us out there who feel the same way, and it's a great community.

Welcome to it Braybuddy....

1011yyz.

MD-90

Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:36 pm

Hah.

Frankly, I think that a lot of people on a.net are oddballs, and that's from my aviation-friendly point of view.

LN-MOW

Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:44 pm

Who needs Starbucks when you can inhale jet exhaust?!

Gimme both and I'm happy ....

My wife is hoping I'll outgrow it - along with the weekend morning listening to soccergames from Norway and England - but I think she's slowly resigning.

N276AASTT

Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:07 pm

I can totally relate to this subject. Over the years, I have felt that way at times when people I know/meet find out that this is one of my passions. Most people don't understand why I have such an interest in what might seem as a boring hobby/subject to them. For the longest time I couldn't tell you what I was looking at under my car's hood! Fuel Pump??? Starter??? Huh??? But, if a plane went by, I could tell you what kind of plane it was, airline, probable destination and it's approximate flying time. This kind of knowledge has been put to use though. Everybody I know usually comes to me when they have travel plans coming up and need advice on airlines, routes, times, service, fares, etc. I love this subject and will continue to follow it for many years to come.

P.S. I'm getting better at the car thing too!  Big thumbs up

ordpark

Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:16 pm

well, I can't remember NOT being fascinated by airliners....I have worked for UA for over 30 years and it's still fascinating....Most of my co-workers understand the hobby and at least tolerate. I've even been able to convince some of them to keep an eye out for interesting aircraft for me...when someone asks why I track tail numbers for instance, I simply tell them that I NEVER would have spent all these years working for an airline if I didn't like airplanes!
Most people will never understand the passion we all share for aircraft - I can live with that. I will never get tired of watching airliners takeoff and land,,,

At least we don't collect fireflys or balls of string!

Espion007

Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:17 pm

heh,add me to the list of oddballs. Ever since a Lufthansa flight got me hooked on aviation,its been a passion. People at school think im a freak,yea. I once asked people to identify a jetblue a320 (apparently a number of them said 747 Big grin ) and one said "why would you take a picture of a plane?". meh- why take pictures of cars? Theyre OK,but i use it as a form of transport.

What i really dont get is those train people.........now thats even weirder than aviation

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:03 pm

A lot of you guys are right in that our interest can be useful as people who haven't a clue about civil aviation will very often ask us questions if they are about to travel . . . . though sometimes we might overdo it. Nervous travellers probably DON'T want to know the crash history of the airline they are flying with . . .

brettbrett21

Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:37 am

''What I really dont get is those train people.........now thats even weirder than aviation''

LOL ahhhhh the hypocrisy!!

Now you're just lowering yourself to the level of those who believe us to be oddballs!

Brett  Big grin

AA717driver

Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:46 am

Yeah, I'm an aviation geek. I've got 12,000 hours if you include my 4 LONG years as FE on the L1011. I still stop my walkaround to watch airplanes landing or taxiing in.

None of my co-workers now care anything about aviation. They're just putting their time in. Pity. They're into fishing. Insane

We fly G550's but I think the luckiest guy is my friend in Wisconsin who owns a 182 on floats. Now that would get me into fishing! Big grin

Geek on!TC

venuscat2

RE: Any Other Airliner Enthusiasts Feel Like Oddba

Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:56 am

I was under the impression that most of the people working for airlines are pretty knowledgeable about the industry and enjoy it, but perhaps I am mistaken?

I've always been proud of being an "aviation geek." Nobody really makes fun of me for it....... but I don't think anyone really understands either.

-Jordan

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:06 am

I knew a guy a few years ago who worked with TEAM Aer Lingus (maintenance). I used to ask him about his work and most times he hadn't a clue what sort of plane he was working on. He used to cut sheet metal, I think, and hardly ever saw the planes. That was probably because he spent half the day in the toilets reading vampire novels. No wonder they went bust . . .

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos