ssides
Topic Author

Cross-border Airports?

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:22 am

A recent thread asked about the possibility of CO serving airports in Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez, and Reynosa. I responded that I didn't think so, because they already serve SAN, ELP, and MFE, right across the border.

This got me thinking ... what cross-border airports are there in the world? By cross-border, I don't mean the airport has to physically cross the border between two countries (like BSL), but where the name of the airport clearly indicates it serves cities in two different countries.

So far, BSL is the only one I can think of. Are there any others?
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

dstc47

RE: Cross-border Airports?

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:30 am

Part of Geneva Airport is in France - you cant get more cross border than that.

Strasbourg Airport serves nearby Germany and Luxembourg Airport serves France, Germany and to a lesser extent Belgium.

This was particularly true when Icelandair used it to offer service to the USA aimed at the German market in particular.

jasepl

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:35 am

I was going for GVA as well. Also, you can still kind of count Vienna. It serves Bratislava too, though the number of flights from BTS are slowly increasing.

SafetyDude

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:35 am

Well, I know you said that you were not wondering about cross-border airports, but I believe that SXM is a cross-border/territory airport.

clearly indicates it serves cities in two different countries.
BUF is a good link for the Canadian Niagara Falls.

For inter-state/city in the US, MSP and EWR come to mind.

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

LHR27C

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:36 am

I read in Airliner World that since the construction of a new bridge, CPH is increasingly marketing itself towards passengers from southern Sweden.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

jmy007

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:42 am

What About DTW and Windsor airport?

I know Windsor markets itself the closest airport to Downtown Detroit, but its only good if you are flying to Toronto.  Smile
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

miamiair

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:44 am

Basel Europort
Airport is in France,
City in Switzerland
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Zweed

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:54 am

CPH has been the main base for southern swedes for a long time. But yes, the bridge has made it easier. Before the bridge they had speed-boats going to Copenhagen/CPH a couple of times/hour.

EddieDude

Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:21 am

During the administration of President Zedillo (1994-2000) the idea of starting talks with the U.S. in order to build a jointly-managed, cross-border San Diego-Tijuana intercontinental airport became a priority of the Mexican Ministry of Trade and Industry. As a result of NAFTA, the thousands of assembly industries located on the Mexican side of the border and the rising of China as a world exports power (and its then imminent accession to the WTO), the plan made a lot of sense. Unfortunately, the lack of policy-continuity of the current Fox administration, the September 11 happenings, the hardening of U.S. regulations in connection with immigration, and the fact that the possibility of a migratory treaty between Mexico and the U.S. is basically dead have sealed the fate of the proposed San Diego-Tijuana airport. It is very likely that we will never see it happen.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

B4REAL

Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:43 am

Not INT'L, but CVG is in Kentucky - many think it is in Ohio...
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

MD11Engineer

Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:20 am

Hahn (HHN) in Germany is serving nearby Luxemburg as well.
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

azfan777

Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:56 am

Buffalo Niagara International Airport in Buffalo, NY serves many Canadian travelers, who cross the border to fly on the low cost carriers that fly out of the airport.

N1120A

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:43 pm

Nearby is relative with Hahn. Nothing is close to Hahn =). Then again, NCE is the airport for Monaco and that part of the Italian Riviera. Also, Malmo airport serves CPH (especially since the bridge), much like CPH serves southern Sweden.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

vunz

Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:04 pm

Maastricht-Aachen airport (MST) located in the Netherlands but serves Germany as well

JCS

Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:41 pm

(MST - Maastricht is a Dutch city and Aachen is the German city nearby.)

NRN - This former RAF airforce base in Germany is very near the Dutch border. But still in the middle of nowhere. Since the airport is owned by a Dutch guy and V Bird is a Dutch company the airport's main market is the Netherlands.

AMS / FRA / CDG - These airports are linked by the German ICE train (300 km/h) and the European (Germany/Belgium/Netherlands/France) Thalys trains (320 km/h). I live near AMS (20 minutes by train or car), but by ICE and Thalys I am within 2 to 3 hours at FRA or CDG. I like AMS but for a better or cheaper flight it is very easy to go to other airports. So, AMS/FRA/CDG are serving all countries. Especially for people who live between those airports and also near a high-speed railway-connection.
Because of the Eurostar through the Channel-tunnel LHR might be mentioned also. But I don't know if it is served that well by train.

Johannes

rwylie77

Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:46 pm

N1120a - I think you mean Nice serves Monaco and the FRENCH riviera (not Italian!). It is a good example, as they market themselves as such calling the airport the entry to to the Cote D'Azur.

JCS

Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:17 pm

2 Rwylie77:
Sorry, but I think he definitely means the ITALIAN rviera. I will explain. The topic is about cross-border airports. Nice is in French. Nice belongs to this topic and Nice is a cross-border airport because is serves Monaco and Italy. It is close to Italy and people who come from or go to Italy use is. That is why he means the Italian Riviera.

rwylie77

Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:54 pm

JCS - Sorry, but I disagree - Monaco is a seperate country to France so I believe that one. But Italy? I don't know if there are many Italians out there who can help with this one, but as far as I am aware Italy is still nearly an hours drive away from Nice and road isn't great, while Milan and Turin aren't far away...from when I have also been there, I've never noticed that coastline of Italy being much or a Rivieria/tourist destination unlike the Cote D'Azur...please correct me if I am wrong.

JCS

Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:36 pm

@Rwylie77
I agree with you. Nice is serving 99% France/Monaco. Perhaps 1% Italy - or even less.

dgehfx

Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:06 am

I believe Basel/Mulhouse airport is shared by passengers from France and Switzerland.

Gibraltar airport is at the border of Spain. (Algeciras?)

ssides
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:24 am

Basel Europort Airport is in France, City in Switzerland

I believe Basel/Mulhouse airport is shared by passengers from France and Switzerland.

OK! My question was for airports other than BSL!

"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

9A-CRO
Editor

Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:07 am

There is BIhac Zeljava air force base mostly located in Bosnia but with parts in Croatia.
It was built while both countires were part of SFR Jugoslavija.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

mozart

Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:19 am

Two sorts of airports we have here:

1) the ones which are actually the "designated" airport of two or more cities in different countries. Some even carry double names and/or have two territories within the same airport (sorry for repeating some of the ones mentioned above)
- BSL is an example, as it is officially called "Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg Euroairport". So it sort of serves German Freiburg as well
- "Maastricht/Aachen"
- Geneva
- Altenrhein is located in Switzerland, but is considered "Austrian" in the sense that the only scheduled flights from there are "domestic" flights to Vienna, targeting the Bregenz area of Austria

2) And then you have those that are the "official" airport of one city, but because of their location on or close to the border have a natural catchment area across the border:
- Salzburg
- LUG serving Como and some of the Lago Maggiore cities on the Italian side, although MXP is almost just as close
- Charleroi close to the French border
- Luxembourg (as mentioned)
- Johor Bahru for Singapore
- Singapore for Southern Malaysia
- Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden is right on the French border
- Saarbrücken is right on the French border
- Zurich has many pax from Southern Germany
- Friedrichshafen is located next to the Swiss and Austrien borders, but probably to small and inaccessible for many cross-border pax
- Biarritz is close to Spain
- Ceuta is surrounded by Morocco
- Iguazu and Iguacu on the Argentinian resp. Brazilian side of the falls
- Strasbourg (already mentioned)
- St. Maarten SXM for French and Dutch part of island
- ... and analogously of course Grand Case SFG on the French side of the island
- Antwerpen with its location close to the Dutch border
- Milano MXP for southern Switzerland
- theoretically Bolzano, Udine, Trieste, Innsbruck, Graz and Klagenfurt, but I doubt many people come across the border to fly from there

PU707

Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:34 am

Mozart,

you can add to your # 2 the following:

Livingstone (Zambia) - Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe);
Alma Ata (Kazakhstan) - Bishkek (Kyrgysztan) ;

"Siempre al servicio de la libertad"

Rickster

Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:07 pm

Vienna and Bratislava are somehow unique, within a distance of about 60 Km both are capital cities of their countries and serving the somehow the same cross border market - southern parts of the Czech Republik, eastern parts of Austria, western parts of Hungary and western parts of Slovakia.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos