Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DeltaMIA
Topic Author

When LGA And JFK Drop Their Slot Rules

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:11 pm

Does anybody know what the plan is for these airports when they drop their slot requirements?

Presently each airport has high density rules (LGA 0600-2359, JFK 1500-1959) and the plan is to eliminate these on 01JAN07. I hope it doesn't get to be like 2000 again at LGA.

SilentObserver

RE: When LGA And JFK Drop Their Slot Rules

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:28 pm

If ORD is any indication, there will still be some form of FAA flight restrictions. There are no slot assignments here, but there are some lovely caps in place.

I thought JFK no longer had slot restrictions either, must have missed that one. There has been a significant amount of service add there in the last 4 years. B6 alone has got to be over 100 flights, plus all of Delta's expansions, with Song. Seems suprising they could expand so much with slots rules in place.

LGA like ORD is another no win situation. I would highly doubt the FAA lets that one turn into a nightmare again.

N1120A

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:38 pm

Quoting SilentObserver (Reply 1):
I thought JFK no longer had slot restrictions either, must have missed that one.

There are no slot restrictions at JFK. JFK is actually farther from capacity than EWR. The way I see it, the only way LGA stays away from a slot rule is a major traffic shift on domestic flights to JFK. Given that most in perimeter flights not run by B6 still go to LGA, that looks unlikely

SilentObserver

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:49 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):
JFK is actually farther from capacity than EWR

You don't hear of flight delays from JFK, like you do from LGA and EWR. If you catch an afternoon flight from EWR there is normally about 40mins of pad time built in to account for ground delays waiting to taxi and take off. EWR is horrible most of the day. Morning and after 7pm it's not to bad.

DeltaMIA
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:37 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):
There are no slot restrictions at JFK.

That isn't true. JFK is forced to issue slots between 1500 and 1959. All other hours airlines can come and go as they please.

Other airports under slot restrictions are SNA and HPN, however it has nothing to do with their high density.

timz

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:44 am

"JFK is forced to issue slots between 1500 and 1959."

So who's in charge of the slots? How many are there total? If JetBlue wants to add a flight, whom do they ask? How many "slots" does B6 have now?

DeltaMIA
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:00 am

Quoting Timz (Reply 5):
So who's in charge of the slots?

I would assume PANYNJ as there are still slots to assign. If an airline were looking to receive an additional slot beyond the alloted number of slots than I would assume the DOT would do that.

Quoting Timz (Reply 5):
How many are there total?

Don't know but there are more in the Summer than the winter as the summer months are based on half hour assignments (00-29, 30-59) and the winter is based on hour assignments (00-59). A slot of course is either one landing or one takeoff.

Quoting Timz (Reply 5):
If JetBlue wants to add a flight, whom do they ask?

Same as any other airline. They were given a good number though at the start of their service. I doubt they have exceeded the number they were given. However not too many of their most recent services are eating into those slots. I think only two (a BUR flight) leaves or arrives during that time frame.

Quoting Timz (Reply 5):
How many "slots" does B6 have now?

How ever many takeoff/landings they have between 1500-1959.

B747-437B

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:11 am

Quoting Timz (Reply 5):
So who's in charge of the slots?

Lorelei Peter at the FAA is the designated slot co-ordinator for JFK.

[Edited 2005-04-14 20:15:58]

ScottB

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:06 am

My guess is that the JFK slot regime will simply expire, with the one caveat being that the FAA may choose to cap operations during peak hours if the delays become unmanageable. For what it's worth, jetBlue doesn't possess slots at JFK; they have slot exemptions. The difference essentially is that the slot exemptions are not transferable to other carriers, so they have no value unless jetBlue itself is using them.

I think it's extremely likely that the FAA will cap operations at LGA in the same way that they did at ORD. I doubt that anyone wants a repeat of what happened during 2000's RJ slot grab.

N1120A

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:12 am

Quoting DeltaMIA (Reply 4):
That isn't true. JFK is forced to issue slots between 1500 and 1959.

Those are not slots so much as they are flow control. LAX also has flow, but the airport is still open to all traffic. It is just a matter of what ATC can handle while keeping minimum seperation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos