Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jyatlantic
Topic Author

Under 18 And Joined Executive Club!

Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:44 pm

It seems as if BA isn't very strict on the age rule. I entered my personal information online and achieved blue membership after a flight in WT+.

yowza

RE: Under 18 And Joined Executive Club!

Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:57 pm

Back in the day I joined KL's Flying Dutchman when I was about 16/17 and never got hassled. Not sure if they have a minimum age requirement.

YOWza

747400F

Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:57 pm

Why not - you flew the right class paid the right fare. If they didn't give you the status it boarders on agediscrimination
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

GSM763

Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:05 pm

After a family holiday in first class one of my friends 5 year old daughters joined BA Executive Club!

N1120A

Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:05 pm

As far as I know, none of the US carriers have an age requirement (and if they do, it is certainly not 18) for their FF programs. In fact, I have heard stories of kids who commute between divorced parents getting elite status.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

PanHAM

Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:08 pm

Lufthansa had an article in tgheir magazine recently about a girl aged 5 or 6 - "the Worlds youngest Senator". She regularly travels with her parents, father a top exec based in HKG with business interests in Argentina etc and who takes his wife and daughter along on business trips all the time.

Why should she not collect the miles and make it to top tier? As long as the parents agree I do not see any reason why other airlines should deny this to frequent travelers.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

michaeljp

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:35 pm

I'm only a 334 miles away from Gold Status with Singapore Airlines and I'm still only 16 - 17 in a few weeks.
Its not hard to achieve

Mike

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):
As far as I know, none of the US carriers have an age requirement (and if they do, it is certainly not 18) for their FF programs. In fact, I have heard stories of kids who commute between divorced parents getting elite status.

My 11 year old daughter is Silver with Northwest Worldperks, and was Gold last year . . . . she commutes between CID and ANC several times a year - and that doesn't include trips she takes with her Mother . . . not unusual, and like you say, I know of no age limit. My daughter has had a UA Mileage Plus card since she was born, also has a US Dividend Miles card.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

trekster

Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:47 pm

Young kids can have a exec card. I think its over 5 if i recall.

Household accounts are good if the kids fly alot.
Where does the time go???

Trvlr

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:42 am

I joined AAdvantage when I was 1 and received elite status when I was 13 or 14. It's definitely not uncommon for kids, at least in the states. I've even heard stories of toddlers getting Platinum on AA (>50K miles per year).

Aaron G.

fbgdavidson

Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:46 am

Interesting, I flew more frequently from the age of 8 with BA, probably about four/five trips per year in longhaul J and a few European C trips on the side. My father tried to enrol my brother and myself in Executive Club and were told as we were under 18 we couldn't join. A bit of a shame as we were flying enough to earn BA Gold  Sad Bear in mind this was the time before ba.com and all Exec Club stuff was done over the phone and by mail!

I think now with household accounts, online management of your account etc it is quite easy to get around the requirements. When the rules changed regarding entry to Exec Club and you had to take a Y,B,H or above fare you could still join by putting in false flight details, I believe it is a little trickier now.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 5):
Lufthansa had an article in tgheir magazine recently about a girl aged 5 or 6 - "the Worlds youngest Senator".

I think she was 2yrs old when she made SEN. I'll have to see if I can dig out the issue.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

PADSpot

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:24 pm

Some time ago there was a story on the LH website, about the baby daughter of a swedish business man who frequently flew First on LH. She got her Senator Status just being a few week old and became a HON Circle member shortly after ...

roseflyer

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:31 pm

I don't think this should be that unusual. Sometimes younger people do travel a lot. I was Premier with United back when I was only 16 (due to trips to visit family in India and New Zealand during the same calendar year). Flight attendants seemed a little confused when I was in first class and my name showed up as Premier. Smile
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

vegasplanes

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):

Quoting 747400F (Reply 2):
If they didn't give you the status it boarders on agediscrimination

For sure there would be litigation in the US if there was an age restriction on earning frequent flier miles/points whatever. I have a frequent flier card from Republic and they disappeared (merged) when I was still in the single digits, same goes for UA and AA, only they are still in business. In my opinion, you would have to read the rules of every frequent flier program out there, if a passenger pays for a ticket they have every right to earn frequent flier miles regardless of age. The only difference might be that a legal guardian or such may/should have to make the reservation for use of miles/points accumulated in some if not all circumstances.

AMS

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:43 pm

My Daughters reached TG Star alliance Gold when they were 3 and 4 years of age, so yes it can happen depending on the minimum requirements of the FF program.

Regards,
AMS

WesternA318

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:55 pm

When my dad did a lot of flying on CO back in the early 90's I got to go along with him (since I was home schooled), the first time I hit Gold Elite was in 1995. From 1996-1999, it was on TWA that I was an Aviators Elite. On CO the repetition for me was from 1998 to 2000 in Silver Elite and from 2000 to now in Platinum Elite.

fbgdavidson

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:56 pm

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 11):
Some time ago there was a story on the LH website, about the baby daughter of a swedish business man who frequently flew First on LH. She got her Senator Status just being a few week old and became a HON Circle member shortly after ...

Not quite, think about this for one second. A baby of a few weeks old having flown 100,000 miles  Wink

The girl was the one I mentioned above, she was only a few weeks old when she took her first full fare F ticket. It wasn't until age 2 that she made Senator status. IIRC Hon Circle status wasn't in place when this article was printed in Exclusive.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

airbusA346

Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:01 pm

Quoting Trekster (Reply 8):
Young kids can have a exec card. I think its over 5 if i recall.

Household accounts are good if the kids fly alot.

Yeah, I've got one of them, on a HouseHold Account.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

daron4000

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:59 pm

My dad is global services with UA and I get to fly a lot because of that and am and have been Premier/Premier Exec. since I was about six years old every year.