Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyboy80
Topic Author

Did I Really See Airserv Checkin Pax In At SFO?

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:40 pm

As an airline employee, student pilot, and aviation enthusiast it makes me sick. Im pretty sure there were Air Serv employees assisting united's easy check-in in SFO...anyone have any info? This really cant be happening, because I know that it only gets worse!

bayareapilot

RE: Did I Really See Airserv Checkin Pax In At SFO?

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:11 pm

Why does it make you sick? As an airline employee, student pilot, and aviation enthusiast does that somehow make you superior to an Air Serv employee?

FlyDeltaJets

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:28 pm

Quoting BayAreaPilot (Reply 1):
Why does it make you sick? As an airline employee, student pilot, and aviation enthusiast does that somehow make you superior to an Air Serv employee?

I agree with you, but I think that the sickness is coming from the constant outsourcing of airlines even at hub stations.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

jetdeltamsy

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:02 pm

Quoting BayAreaPilot (Reply 1):

Just like United, Delta, Usair and America West handed over routes to Mesa to be operated more cheaply than they can do it themselves, that's exactly what UA is doing...according to you...at SFO.

Perhaps you didn't realize that most mainline employees feel exactly the same way as you toward feeder airlines.

What a pity.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

flyboy80
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:48 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 3):
Just like United, Delta, Usair and America West handed over routes to Mesa to be operated more cheaply than they can do it themselves, that's exactly what UA is doing...according to you...at SFO.

Perhaps you didn't realize that most mainline employees feel exactly the same way as you toward feeder airlines.

What a pity.

As a previous mainline employee, and current one as of two days ago, I can say I don't feel that way towards any regional counterparts I know, neither do most of the mainline agents I've worked with. We are more disappointed in the management more so than anything, but obviously we have the ability to understand the reasons why contract flying takes place. Wasn't it your company that created song? And is it mesa's fault ATL is an Airtran hub? Did mesa create Southwest? Because of my geographic location I've had the opportunity to work with a regional carrier before, wasn't my first pick of jobs, but I've have learned that without companies like this, a lot of mainline flying wouldn't happen, well unless you feel that a Boeing 757 would be a profitable equipment choice to fly five times a day between Yakima and SLC, or perhaps an A320 from Medford to Chicago? Yeah that is, as you put it, a "pitty." Whats worse is some mainline employees (uh hum) are so bitter about the situation, it makes me wonder why they still work here... BTW, I don't know where you recognize any hostility between regional employees and the supposed outsourcing (groups) that are doing their jobs in certain places, not from me anyway, but I'm more or less disappointed that the airlines aren't, in many cases, running themselves anymore, but are merely a list of bank account numbers...

docchaos

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:41 pm

Airserv runs the entire UA Express operation (Above and Below Wing) in MLI (Moline, Illinois/Quad City International Airport). They get paid less, no flight benefits, and work more flights than most of the other airliners at the airport.
The most recent rumor is that American Eagle wants to outsource their ramp in MLI, at a cost of $95 per turn, and Airserv will do it at that price. That is just unbelievable to me.

Just throwing in my knowledge of Airserv.
DocChaos

sushka

RE: Did I Really See Airserv Checkin Pax In At SFO

Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting Flyboy80 (Thread starter):
As an airline employee, student pilot, and aviation enthusiast it makes me sick. Im pretty sure there were Air Serv employees assisting united's easy check-in in SFO...anyone have any info? This really cant be happening, because I know that it only gets worse!

I work for Airserv and am a pilot, and very soon will be an airline employee. This does not make me sick. The airlines who use us are saving money. You could say we are helping them stay in business. We get treated like crap alot from gate agents this is what makes me sick.

[Edited 2006-06-12 17:19:59]
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Ih8b6

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:02 am

I don't think it's the idea of that specific person being an Airserv employee is making this poster sick. I think it's more the fact, as already stated, that airlines are contracting out anything they can to offset costs. This in turn makes the mainline employees sick.

Quoting Sushka (Reply 6):
We get treated like crap alot from gate agents this is what makes me sick.

I agree with you. I am a mainline employee. In my ten years I have watched non-airline contractors (airserv, DGS, etc) and regional airline contractors (eagle, comair, mesa) employees get treated like total crap by mainline employees. That is so unfair and ridiculous. It has always pissed me off to watch fellow employees do this. The group of employees (mainline employees and the contract employees) working at a small station (where is happens the most) are working together as a team with on goal: customer service and turn the flight. If the mainline employees have a problem with the fact that their company is contracting out jobs, the group to be pissed at is not the contract employees (they just need a job), it's their own company management contracting out the jobs and in some cases conducting poor training.

Don't treat the common guy going out to earn a buck like crap….he's working as hard, if not harder than you do, and would probably be working for your airline doing the same job had it not been contracted out 5, 6, 7 years ago.... It's ridiculous what goes on out there.
Over-moderation sucks

747400F

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:03 am

Pardon the maybe ignorant question, but who/what is airserv?
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

jetdeltamsy

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting Flyboy80 (Reply 4):
As a previous mainline employee, and current one as of two days ago, I can say I don't feel that way towards any regional counterparts I know,

Nor do I.

neither do most of the mainline agents I've worked with

Can't imagine where you work. My experience is that mainline employees, generally speaking, look down their noses at their contract carrier counterparts.

Wasn't it your company that created song? And is it mesa's fault ATL is an Airtran hub? Did mesa create Southwest?

And your point it what??

Yeah that is, as you put it, a "pitty."

It is. We're all human and we're all in this together.

BTW, I don't know where you recognize any hostility between regional employees and the supposed outsourcing (groups) that are doing their jobs in certain places, not from me anyway, but I'm more or less disappointed that the airlines aren't, in many cases, running themselves anymore, but are merely a list of bank account numbers...

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Of course the companies are running themselves..except those being run by the bankruptcy courts. Airlines generate huge amounts of revenue, even the ones that are losing $ billions. Who in your opinion is running them?

[Edited 2006-06-12 19:27:55]
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos