Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Outlier
Topic Author

Praise And Thoughts For FAs, CSAs, Etc

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:38 pm

Just would like to express my thanks and best wishes for the airline and airport personnel, especially in the coming, very difficult days ahead.

Wednesday had to be rough, and in the coming days and weeks many passengers will no doubt be complaining to you, whining for special treatment, bitching and moaning like there is no tomorrow. But stay firm, stay calm, and remember that the majority of us understand the situation.

No need to apologize to anybody, simple expressions of compassion and empathy suffice.

If it hasn't happened already, push your companies on behalf of your passengers to stock the water and soda to the hilt. Bring the peanuts and cookies and crackers back. A little food can bring comfort in a tense situation.

Stay strong.

Outlier
Topic Author

RE: Praise And Thoughts For FAs, CSAs, Etc

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:12 pm

Wow, I am a day off. Thursday was the day this all broke loose, not wednesday.

IADLHR

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:08 pm

I was thinking the same thing. As a matter of fact, I was thinking of starting a thread on this topic until I saw this one. My heart and thoughts certainly do go out to evereyone that has to deal with the traveling publiuc along with the new regulations.

I was just thinking about all of the them especially the rampers and CSRs. The airlines, as we know, have had major staff reductions and the remaining workers have had major pay cuts. Now they are all faced with longer lines to deal with as people are checking in more bags to try and reduce what they carry on. The rampers have to work harder loading and unloading the bags as theere are more of them. On and on it goes like a vicious circle.

I was wondering if this is going to slow down baggage claim and/or increase lost luggage etc. etc. ? If there are major cancellations, due to weather etc. are the new rules along with the reduction in airline staff at all levels going to really, really casue havoc, especially in the winter, to levels that we have never seen before? In my opinion, all this has not really played out yet and wont until this coming winter.

Let me just say that I am not at all complaining about the new rules, it just seems that this part of the story has not played out yet.

Anybody have any comments and insights into this?

Jumpseat70

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:48 am

I worked yesterday. I have to say the passengers were well informed, prepared and understanding. It helps that I work in the Midwest, I think. The International passengers were great also. We were amazed to see that a 3:30 PM flight was totally checked in one hour before departure. Unheard of on normal days. The people were listening.
"Up, Up and away with TWA"

IAHFLYR

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:55 am

As one who is in terminals and on planes often I agree, BRAVO. Everyone I hope acts wise and is respectful, okay huge wish there, however kudos to the employees, rampers, agents, crews, and yes even those loved TSA folks......I traveled days after 9/11 and it was very very nice, no one was rude and very well imformed much like I hope this latest event will produce.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

LHR777

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:36 am

I'm a Senior CSA for 'The World's Favourite' at LHR. I worked 2pm-10.30pm yesterday. It was a challenging, tiring day, but also a day that allowed me to give my best in customer service to our fare paying customers, whilst applying the strict new security regime that we all have to adhere to.

Today I worked 5.45am-2.15pm. I was already exhausted due to the short gap between shifts, but again, I experienced courteous, understanding customers and I hope I managed to treat my customers with the dignity and respect they deserve, whilst again upholding the new security measures.

Thanks for flying with us folks, we'll do the best we can to get you quickly, but more importantly, safely on your way.

[Edited 2006-08-11 18:37:24]

ltbewr

Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:35 am

Yes, these people are under big time stress right now and we should cooperate as best as possible to not add to that stress. Perhaps some should send e-mails or letters to the airlines they are on or have been at these stressful times where they got good customer service, noting the flight and names of those whom served you.

HAWK21M

Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:44 am

Def.Everyone Involved deserves a Word of Appreciation during these tough times.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

bennett123

Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:15 am

I rang BA's IT helpdesk, (I tried to EMAIL my queries, and the EMAIL would not work).

The lady that I spoke to, confirmed that my EMAIL had got through and confirmed that there will be an increase in the hold allowance to offsett loss of carry on, I can put 2 items in the hold, (1 large 1 small) normal rules apply concerning loss/breakage and that I need to book in 3 hrs early.

This was all provided in a helpful and friendly manner, in what must be a very busy time.

Unfortuneately I did not think to ask her name.

Thank you.

IAHFLYR

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 6):
Perhaps some should send e-mails or letters to the airlines they are on or have been at these stressful times where they got good customer service, noting the flight and names of those whom served you.

Excellent idea, when I am on the plane next week I will sure do that, and thank them for their smiles, hard work, and kindness because I know they will be so grateful, just like when you thank a military person in uniform for protection our freedom whether you agree with military actions these days or not.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

swissy

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:09 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 9):
Excellent idea, when I am on the plane next week I will sure do that, and thank them for their smiles, hard work, and kindness because I know they will be so grateful, just like when you thank a military person in uniform for protection our freedom whether you agree with military actions these days or not.

Could not agree more, it is in times like now were it clearly shows "THEY" are professionals and they have to do their job........... without them we would not be flying, KUDOS to all of you dedicated people were ever you are at any given time.

Cheers,  bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 

AY104

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 4):
I traveled days after 9/11 and it was very very nice, no one was rude and very well imformed much like I hope this latest event will produce.

My sentiments exactly. I just hope that this time the politeness, good humor and good behavior lasts. It was good for awhile after 9/11, but gradually got back to the old habits, I think maybe the travelling now behaves even worse than before 9/11. Amazing how short peoples' memories are. But I am hoping.

Wow! Sorry to get off the positiveness of this thread. I agree that thanks and congratulations should go out to each and every crew member, and also to ground staff. I am sure a lot of BA staff mostly, but other airline staff also, have had their vacation plans altered by the events of the past few days.

Good luck to all of you employed by the airlines!

Cheers,
Carl (AY104)
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

LHR777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting AY104 (Reply 11):
I just hope that this time the politeness, good humor and good behavior lasts.

Alas, no. I got verbally abused by a 'customer' at 5.26am today. It's all back to normal then.....!

EWRCabincrew

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:05 am

A huge thanks goes to everyone who is continuing to fly. Thank you too.

It is difficult for all involved and with patience on both sides, it'll be safe flying for all.

Happy and safe travels to all. See you onboard one of my flights.
You can't cure stupid

Ken777

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:28 am

The ignorance of rude pax never ceases to amaze me. It is as if the CSAs or FAs can create new rules or policies just to handle some rather oddball demand.

Years ago AA used to provide elite pax with Some One Special (SOS) stickers that we could hand out when we saw an employee doing a good job. I used to save a few for the CSAs - would had them one after they had an a** of a pax go off at them. Several times it brought a smile instead of tears. Wish AA (and others) would bring back the program, even if it was a modified (less expensive) version.

IAHFLYR

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 14):
Years ago AA used to provide elite pax with Some One Special (SOS) stickers that we could hand out when we saw an employee doing a good job. I used to save a few for the CSAs - would had them one after they had an a** of a pax go off at them. Several times it brought a smile instead of tears. Wish AA (and others) would bring back the program, even if it was a modified (less expensive) version.

First I have heard of that but what an outstanding program. I often wonder when you make a call to the airlines customer service unit, giving the flight number, date, city pairs, employees name etc., for some positive feedback and a job well done how often the actual employee is given the feedback. Handing the person something such as that sticker would sure be instant feedback from a passenger.  Smile

N353SK

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:42 am

It has been a trying time indeed. Bag counts have soared since thursday. A CSR I spoke to put it best when she said that at check in they no longer ask people whether or not they are checking bags, but rather how many they're checking.

AY104

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:47 am

Quoting Outlier (Thread starter):
Alas, no. I got verbally abused by a 'customer' at 5.26am today. It's all back to normal then.....!

Sorry to hear it. I had to voluntarily leave my job of 25 years at the airlines in 1998, I was getting to the point where I would almost "fight back". I applaud myself for getting out, though, before it got to that point and also while I still got some enjoyment and satisfaction out of my job.
I admire all of you who started with the airlines recently. When I started my airline career, in 1972, air travel and the travelling public were still very civilized. I think you guys have to put up with a lot more stress and ridiculous behavior than we ever did, yet you deserve more than you get for the overall excellent quality of service! Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
AY104
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

Outlier
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting AY104 (Reply 17):
Quoting Outlier (Thread starter):Alas, no. I got verbally abused by a 'customer' at 5.26am today. It's all back to normal then.....!

Not I. Wrong attribution.

ntspelich

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:09 pm

Hey, here's to all the rampers out there. I know that my guys have been busting it hard dealing with all the additional checked baggage that we've been getting. Short hops up/down the east coast that used to get maybe 40 bags now getting 100+. It may not seem like much to those who don't do it, but that adds up really quick.

NTS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

LHR777

Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting Outlier (Reply 18):
Not I. Wrong attribution

Indeed! I said that, in reply 12!!

LAXPAX

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:15 am

My boss was at LGA, returning from a business trip to New York when this all went down. She was originally scheduled LGA-ATL-LAX on DL, but a delay on the first flight meant that she would miss her connection; and the next flight would've meant that her connection would be a redeye.

The DL agent offered her a direct flight JFK-LAX a few hours later, and she accepted it. However, her bag was already sitting on the ramp at LGA along with thousands of others; so the agent went out on the ramp to find her bag.

He was not able to find it, but she took the JFK flight anyway, and when she got to LAX, her bag was waiting for her.

She said that every DL employee she dealt with during this hectic time was courteous and professional, and that she would be sending a complimentary email to DL.
"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

willbdsp

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:51 am

Praising FAs, CSAs, Rampers, and everyone else shouldn't just happen now, but rather, it should occur everyday. A quick email to customer relations or customer service is one way, and many times, you'll get a response.

I'm reminded of a flight that I took from Houghton/Hancock, MI to Indianapolis--the first flight was delayed then cancelled and they couldn't rebook us from Houghton until Sunday (I was to fly out on Tuesday). The CSA's rebooked and reaccomodated everyone on the flight (there were 30 of us, it was a SF340). I made sure I got the three employee's names that were working the flight and when I arrived in IND, I send Mesaba a note via email praising the work of the three individuals. I received an email back a few weeks later telling me that the three individuals received praise from the company and that they were happy I told them of the superior service.

It's a little gesture that goes a long way.

Outlier
Topic Author

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:38 am

Its been a nice break from the usual to read the many positive comments.
Thanks to all for participating in the thread.

uclax

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:56 am

I'll add praise to the TSA in terminal 3 at LAX. I flew AS LAX-YVR Thursday morning. AS staff, the TSA staff, and the contract company guiding us through the lines were all professional, kind, courteous, and cheerful
...those who wait for the Lord�s help...rise up as if they had eagles� wings Isaiah 40:31

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos