phoenixflyer
Topic Author

Dubai Layover

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:41 am

Im flying Emirates from JFK to NBO in december and have a 7 hour layover in DXB. Is that enough time to explore a little or should I just stay in the airport?

airevents

RE: Dubai Layover

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:48 am

7 hours should be sufficient to go to the city and have a look around. I would suggest you take a taxi, which is cheap and let it take you to the Dubai Creek, which is about the only part of Dubai which has the flavor of Old Arabia. You can cross the Creek by boat and go to the bazar. All in all, this should be possible to do within 3-4 hours, depending on traffic a drive to / from the airport will take appr. 30 minutes.

aerokiwi

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:33 am

Actually, I'd recommed you stay in the airport.

Unless you're staying in a hotel there's actually not a whole lot to do in Dubai, from personal experiences. They city is NOT particularly attratcive for a quick poke around for several reasons...the oppresive heat and spread out nature of the place being the main two. The tourist information desk at the airport is an absolute joke as well, so don't bother there.

And be aware that if you don't have a boarding pass for an onward flight and can't get one until checkin opens, you wont be allowed back into transit, where the aircon is a welcome relief, despite the crass gaudy interior fittings of the terminal.

So personally, I'd just stay in transit with a good book or a few magazines. There just isn't really much to do in Dubai other than shop and you can do that at the airport in far greater comfort.

tayaramecanici

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:48 am

Quoting Airevents (Reply 1):
on traffic a drive to / from the airport will take appr. 30 minutes.

Matey depends on the day of the week and time of the day. A trip from Bur-Dubai to the Airport on Thursday at 16:00 will take you close to 2hrs for a dist of 10km. And never travel to the airport from anywhere between 12:00 and 14:00, everyone is headed home for the afternoon siesta.
Take a taxi straight to deira Abra, cross over to Bur-Dubai by boat, have a vaz of the museum there, return back to deira and cab it to the airport. Give your self atleast 1hr travel time to the airport and 1hr for check-in.
If you fancy a but of curry food and have the stomach for it, try LIYARI BIRYANI in deira. I had to take my wife all the way from U.K. to treat their Biryani while she was carrying our second child. In Bur-Dubai you can try Sher-e-punjab, they are equally good.
If you fancy some arabic food, there is a restaurant at Clock Tower R/A ( can't remember the name after half a bottle of BELLS), next to the old Indian Consulate (Where I lived), they have some delicious local delicacies. This place is a stones throw from the airport but 30min by cab.

Check this article it will give you a flavour of the DXB traffic....

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA.../September/theuae_September880.xml

[Edited 2006-09-27 00:56:05]
''You are as good as your nearest competitor'' Bob Crandall.

EK156

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 2):
Actually, I'd recommed you stay in the airport.

Unless you're staying in a hotel there's actually not a whole lot to do in Dubai, from personal experiences. They city is NOT particularly attratcive for a quick poke around for several reasons...the oppresive heat and spread out nature of the place being the main two. The tourist information desk at the airport is an absolute joke as well, so don't bother there.

And be aware that if you don't have a boarding pass for an onward flight and can't get one until checkin opens, you wont be allowed back into transit, where the aircon is a welcome relief, despite the crass gaudy interior fittings of the terminal.

So personally, I'd just stay in transit with a good book or a few magazines. There just isn't really much to do in Dubai other than shop and you can do that at the airport in far greater comfort.

That would be your opinion. But if I was in a position for a 7 hour layover, I would definitely go into the city. Offcourse it depends on the hours of your layover. There is ALOT to do in the 7 hours. You can go to Deira City Center Mall, Gold Souq, Naif Souq, Downtown Souq Area, Ikea, Panda Shopping Mall, Creek Area and much more. All these are on Deira Side so you will never be stuck in a traffic jam. The Jams are usually from Bur Dubai to Deira or the other way around. Even if there was a slight traffic inside Deira, you will still be able to get around!! Take it from a guy who has been in the UAE for 31 years now. And my shops are all in Deira!!!

So go for it mate without worry!!!

ZRHnerd

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:37 am

Ikea? why would you go to Ikea in Dubai?

And i must admit i wasn't particularely impressed of Dubai either when i visited two years ago.

tayaramecanici

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:58 am

http://secretdubai.blogspot.com/
check this babes reco, especilly the last.
''You are as good as your nearest competitor'' Bob Crandall.

dz09

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:03 am

You should definitely go to town, and maybe just to drive around to see what a thriving city Dubai is. The weather is not too hot in December.

by188b

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:51 am

Take a cab from the airport (aprox cost 35 dirham, thats $10 USD) in light traffic should take 15-20 minutes to dubai creek and get a flavour of old dubai, or head to jumeirah beach for white sand and clear water. max temp in december is 26 degrees or 14 degrees minimum. If you like shopping head to wafi city shopping mall. Im just back from dubai and had a fantastic time, great value and excellent hospitality.
next flights : LHR-SOF BA, SOF-DOH-KAT QR, KAT-HKG KA, HKG-LHR VS, LHR-ATH-LHR BA, LHR-CDG-LHR AF, LHR-MAD-LHR IB/BA

aerokiwi

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:55 am

Quoting EK156 (Reply 4):
t would be your opinion.

That's correct, but is also that of many other people I've met with long layovers in the city. Unless you're with a big hotel, there just aint much to do but shop. No offence, but I still regard Dubai as a transit point for tourists. I mean, seriously, they have a TINY tourist information desk amongst all the car rental desks in the old terminal that provides little to no useful information. If Dubai was serious about tourism, maybe it would address little things like this than constantly advertise its tall towers.

Frankly, they're interesting for about, oh, three minutes, then you're on your own and there aint much to occupy your time. It's not like you can walk down the street and enjoy the atmosphere - everyone's inside escaping the heat!

Cessna057

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:09 pm

Go into town dude deffinitly. Even if it isnt particularly attractive there go into Dubai creek and poke around a little, catch a cab and go back to the airport.

Make for a good little day, flight on EK and poking around in Dubai!
Hold it . . . Hold it . . . HOLD THE FREAKIN NOSE UP!!

malaysia

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:35 pm

I was only impressed staying with ladies in the EK F/A dorm.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Airlittoral

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:30 pm

I would suggest you go to the Park Hyatt which is great, very relaxing, you can just sit outside (December is perfect, around 25 degrees) and relax for a couple of hours, the atmosphere and the design are impressive.
Not the Grand Hyatt, the Park Hyatt!! It's very close to the airport. It's also very close to DUbai Creek,, so maybe you can have a little boat trip as well.

anax

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:39 pm

do a desert safari on a 4x4. thrilling experience , 4 hours long.
god is a spotter!!!

parisien

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:36 pm

There is also a city tour that takes a couple of hours to do to get a quick impression of the city....there is a hop stop near the airport to which you can take a taxi. Google their website, its called the bigbus.
But check traffic for your hours of layover....that the amount of time needed to get to the airport that is not far away can apparently be very long when traffic is not congested.
If you take the time to clear immigration, plus the time you have to be back at the airport to pass security etc. that leaves a lot less than 7 hours I guess.

Quoting AirLittoral (Reply 12):
I would suggest you go to the Park Hyatt which is great

Can you actually just go there even if youre not staying at the hotel ? Can you take their hotel shuttle too ?

Airlittoral

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:12 pm

Quoting Parisien (Reply 14):
Can you actually just go there even if youre not staying at the hotel ? Can you take their hotel shuttle too ?

Yes, absolutely. For the shuttle however, I don't think so. But taxi is probably around AED30 (not a fortune at all!)

TinkerBelle

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:13 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 11):
was only impressed staying with ladies in the EK F/A dorm.

How did you pull that off? I'd be very interested since I have an overnight layover in Dubai myself in Dec.  biggrin 
If you are going through hell, keep going.

TinkerBelle

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 11):
was only impressed staying with ladies in the EK F/A dorm.

How did you pull that off? I'd be very interested since I have an overnight layover in Dubai myself in Dec.  biggrin 

malaysia

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:46 pm

One of my friends is a stewardess for EK and I came to visit her in DXB and
I stayed overnight in her room with her roommates.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

TinkerBelle

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 18):
One of my friends is a stewardess for EK and I came to visit her in DXB and
I stayed overnight in her room with her roommates.

Lucky you.

SR100

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:16 pm

It would be a missed opportunity not to go into the city.

Dubai is changing every day. A short visit - or better a short drive around with a taxi - will give you an idea of the dynamic of the U.A.E. - it is worth to drive around, see how they are building the new Dubai. It gives you an idea of the power of the U.A.E. and of the backyard of EK.
If you haven't been to a mall in the U.A.E. before, then I would even recommend going into one for a cup of coffee, not to see the shops, but to see the shoppers - it will help you to understand this part of the world from a daily life perspective.

As mentioned before, there are many nice and very good hotels around, but finally, you will find good hotels all over the world. But seeing this city by just driving around is impressive. If you walk around and you not only see, but smell and feel the real world of this city, it is much better than to spend a few boring hours at the airport.

If you are into a lighter form of adventure, a very short drive into the desert might also be an alternative. It is very relaxing and a contrast to your point of departure JFK and your destination NBO.
Flown all types and variants of Airbus, Boeing, Lockheed, Bombardier, DC, Embraer, Fokker, ATR, plus BAe146-1/2/3, Britannia, Caravelle, Comet, Concord, CV440/990, M404, Herald, Avro, Trident-1/2/3, IL-18/62, SWM, Viscount, VC-10, Tu-104/134/154, YS-11

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos