Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

theweave33
Topic Author

No Public Hearing In Comair Crash

Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:17 am

The NTSB will not hold a public hearing on the comair accident. This comes weeks after they said they might release the CVR transcripts which have not been released and are now due to be released in January.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...pecial_packages/crash/15976287.htm

I don't like the politics in this.

flyingdoc

RE: No Public Hearing In Comair Crash

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:47 am

It is certainly unusual for the NTSB to forgo public hearings in a major incident such as this one.

jhooper

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:49 am

The cause of this accident is pretty straightforward...what would be the purpose of a public hearing?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

TVNWZ

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting Jhooper (Reply 2):
The cause of this accident is pretty straightforward...what would be the purpose of a public hearing?

To ensure that it is straightforward. Transparency is always best.

Bobster2

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:39 am

Do you want them to put the surviving pilot on the witness stand and grill him in front of an audience? That's what they normally do a public hearings. In this case I think it would be cruel and not accomplish anything.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

TVNWZ

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 4):
Do you want them to put the surviving pilot on the witness stand and grill him in front of an audience? That's what they normally do a public hearings. In this case I think it would be cruel and not accomplish anything.

Yes. This is not the first tragic accident where survivors might have to testify. It is the price we pay to have a transparent government. Or would you like everything done in secret and manipulated by powers outside your sight for particular advantage? Should not the victims families be able to listen to his story? I would want to.

flyingdoc

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:42 pm

The purpose of a public hearing is to air the facts of the investigation in a public manner. And actually, the NTSB controls who they want to call as a witness. In the AA1420 public hearing, if I remember correctly, the co-pilot was not called and I don't think the air traffic controller was not a witness either. They were both interviewed by the NTSB, but I don't believe they were questioned at the public hearing.

But, to have the facts of the situation heard in a public forum is important to help ensure the credibility of the investigation.

Cactus739

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:53 pm

Quoting FlyingDoc (Reply 6):
if I remember correctly, the co-pilot was not called and I don't think the air traffic controller was not a witness either

The first officer was the first person to be questioned at the hearings actually...

http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2000/aa1420/trans_0126.txt
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

flyingdoc

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 7):
The first officer was the first person to be questioned at the hearings actually

I stand corrected! I seemed to remember that either the copilot or the air traffic controller was under medical care and was released from testifying. May have been the controller. Or it certainly could be my poor memory!

AA717driver

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:21 pm

Will the tower and CVR transcripts be made public? If not, then someone is trying to protect someone else.

They usually can't wait to make the transcripts public. Why not now? Those of us in the business need to know what transpired to cause this accident.

Something went horribly awry and the travelling public deserves to have that information available to help us avoid such events in the future. TC
FL450, M.85

tinpusher007

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:25 pm

If the F/O remembers nothing from the crash, what would be the point in putting him in the witness chair?
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

TVNWZ

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:02 pm

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 10):
If the F/O remembers nothing from the crash, what would be the point in putting him in the witness chair?

To say he can not remember, under oath, sitting before the families. And how do you know he can't remember? Because he says so? You particularly want witnesses who say they can not remember to appear at a hearing. You often find out, under questioning, they can remember a lot...they just don't want to admit it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos