dl757md
Topic Author

DL Virtually Eliminates Non-rev Dress Code

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:11 am

For those of you who non-rev on DL. Effective April 15, 2007 non rev pax on DL will enjoy a very lenient dress code policy.

Overall appearance should be well-groomed, neat, clean, safe and respectful, from head to toe.
Clothing should be respectful of fellow passengers.
Footwear -- shoes are required unless the pass rider is not able to wear footwear due to a disability or physical condition

Attire previously not acceptable that is now allowed includes shorts, T-shirts, Jeans (in all classes), flip flops, ball caps, tank tops, tattoos, body piercings, and extreme hairstyles.

From the DLNet site,"if the attire is appropriate for a revenue passenger to wear, then a non-revenue passenger can wear the same attire."

One clear benefit for Delta's operations will be the elimination of dress code enforcement from the job description of the CSA allowing them to concentrate their resources on customer service of the fare paying customers.

DL757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

OOer

RE: DL Virtually Eliminates Non-rev Dress Code

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:13 am

Now is this for Y class only of C and F class as well?

worldtraveler

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:13 am

what do other airlines have for a dress code?

dl757md
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:16 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 1):
Now is this for Y class only of C and F class as well?

This is for all classes, C and F included. It also includes DL connection carriers ASA, Chautaugua, Comair, ExpreeJet, Mesa/Freedom, Shuttle America, and Skywest.

Edit: added connection carriers

[Edited 2007-04-16 03:20:04]

airtran737

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:23 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 2):
what do other airlines have for a dress code?

YX and FL both require business casual dress to non-rev.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

mariner

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting Dl757md (Reply 3):
This is for all classes, C and F included.

Flip-flops - in first class?

Quoting Dl757md (Thread starter):
Attire previously not acceptable that is now allowed includes shorts, T-shirts, Jeans (in all classes), flip flops, ball caps, tank tops, tattoos, body piercings, and extreme hairstyles.

It takes the "class" right out of First.

mariner
aeternum nauta

A330300

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:30 am

This is Frontier's official dress code for nonrevs - however, there has been a push to make it less restrictive in light of some agents not using common sense when enforcing these restrictions.

Male adults and children:
Yes:
• Jeans in good condition. Trousers or slacks.
• Collared or banded collar shirts. Sweaters or turtleneck type sweaters.
• Casual shoes (including dress sandals and athletic or deck shoes) as long as they are neat and clean.
No:
• Shorts
• Tank Tops
• T-shirts
• Torn jeans
• Flip flops

Female adults and children:
Yes:
• Dresses, suits, pantsuits, skort suits, leisure suits, jeans in good condition and without holes, skirts or slacks with coordinated dress blouse or sweater.
• Split, pant style skirts are acceptable so long as they are approximately knee-length.
• Casual shoes (including dress sandals) and athletic or deck shoes are acceptable as long as they are neat and clean. Hosiery and socks are not required.
No:
• Shorts
• Tank Tops
• T-shirts
• Torn jeans
• Flip flops

Military personnel:
Yes:
• Appropriate military traveling uniforms.
No:
• Work uniforms, camouflage, fatigues and battle dress.

callsigncitrus

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:31 am

thats nuts. business elite=flip flops, tattered jeans, holy t shirt, bandanna, tattoos, and piercings. hmmmmm I will say for those that non rev and have backups on other airlines that do require a dress code, ya might want to bring a change of clothes =-)

N766UA

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:32 am

It's about time! Although I never had a problem with dressing up (I still will), it'll be nice to not have to worry about tennis shoes in F class or shorts in the summer. It just makes sense, especially with the way some full-fare types dress. Hell, jeans and a rugby shirt might still be dressing up!

JayDub

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:34 am

I think, in the long run, this will end up being little more than a concession to soften the blow of a revised, fee-based non-revenue travel program for DL and DL Connection employees...

Just a theory, don't flame me...

[Edited 2007-04-16 03:36:40]
"Travel is only glamorous in retrospect." - Paul Theroux

dl757md
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:34 am

Quoting Callsigncitrus (Reply 7):
tattered jeans, holy t shirt

These would not be allowed as clothing that is excessively dirty, stained, torn, or vulgar, offensive or suggestive is not allowed.

AV8AJET

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:35 am

Kinda funny really, but the reality these days is that non-rev's seem to rarely get FC anyway. The flights are so full and along with upgraders your lucky to get domestic FC as a non-rev. Now J class overseas you have a much better chance. It was almost funny that you can tell who is a non-rev just because they are the few passengers that actually dress up because they had too!
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

dl757md
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:37 am

Quoting JayDub (Reply 9):
this will end up being little more than a concession to soften the blow of a revised, fee-based non-revenue travel program...

That wouldn't surprise me in the least. On the other hand it could just be a logical reaction to the eternal problem of dress code enforcement especially in regards to buddy pass riders.

DL757Md

callsigncitrus

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:43 am

yeah a friend from delta told me that delta wants their non rev passengers to blend in with regular fare-paying passengers. where other airlines see it as a representation of the carrier in which they flying, whether it be buddy passes, or actual airline employees. They want the passengers to stand out from other pax. deltas approach sure is different.

Evan767

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting JayDub (Reply 9):
I think, in the long run, this will end up being little more than a concession to soften the blow of a revised, fee-based non-revenue travel program for DL and DL Connection employees...

Doubt it, in the article it says better changes are in store to improve your travel experience. Employees already pay for their benefits anyway, even though it's a small amount. If that did happen though, it sure would lower the moral at Delta.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

JayDub

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:52 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 14):
Doubt it, in the article it says better changes are in store to improve your travel experience.

Well...they may get better at the mainline level but, if the rumours are true, it will be at the expense of the employees of the DL Connection carriers.

Snoopy

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 14):
Doubt it, in the article it says better changes are in store to improve your travel experience.

ROFL....sounds like the same guy wrote that who writes about FF Program "enhancements"!!

Smile

Evan767

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:18 am

Quoting JayDub (Reply 15):
if the rumours are true, it will be at the expense of the employees of the DL Connection carriers.

What rumors?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

aloha73g

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:19 am

Hawaiian has had a "relaxed" dress code for non-rev travel for a few years now.....though there is still a business casual standard for First Class on Trans-Pacific flights.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

tsaord

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting AV8AJET (Reply 11):
It was almost funny that you can tell who is a non-rev just because they are the few passengers that actually dress up because they had too!

Thats so true. People in this day and age don't feel the need to dress head to toe to get from point A to point B. I agree but at the same time people should always dress with some type of "sense". Don't be dirty, smelly, or look homeless while flying.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

iad51fl

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:33 am

Ya... it sucks being the only one in a dress shirt, slacks, and dress shoes on a flight to the Virgin Islands or Hawaii.

Chris
Enjoying the view of KIAH approach end of 27. 29.980548, -95.271201

N353SK

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:47 am

I don't agree with DL at all on this one. Honestly, how hard is it to put on some dockers and a polo shirt? I've always viewed dressing respectably as a small price to pay for the ability to fly virtually anywhere for virtually nothing. Sure, I've had mornings where I wanted to fly in sweatpants, but I showered and dressed decently because I honestly believe it actually does raise the airline's image, if even to a small extent. Sure, DL has a nice point about trying to make their nonrevs blend in, but I would venture a guess that at least 90% of the traveling public has no idea what a nonrev is.

DeltaGuy

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:13 pm

Not like I ever see FC anymore anyways...stupid automatic upgrades.

This is stupid though- a snazzy dresscode was always nice and it kept the nonrevs up front looking good next to some of the slob high-paying FC folks (and made you blend better with the nicely dressed ones). In the old days, I would at least wear a tie on a flight I had decent chances with, never had a problem with first..not anymore though.

Can't wait to see what this turns out to be.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

SBN580

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 5):
Flip-flops - in first class?

Only fake or real diamond encrusted ones. It makes them so much classier.  Yeah sure

Quoting Dl757md (Thread starter):
Overall appearance should be well-groomed, neat, clean, safe and respectful, from head to toe...

...shorts, T-shirts, Jeans (in all classes), flip flops, ball caps, tank tops, tattoos, body piercings, and extreme hairstyles.

These two statements on some people are very contradictory.  eyebrow  However, the new allowances certianly represent precieved acceptable appearance in American society today. I am surprised Delta went in this direction. I guess I will always be old school and proud of it.  smile 
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

DL787932ER

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 21):
I don't agree with DL at all on this one. Honestly, how hard is it to put on some dockers and a polo shirt? I've always viewed dressing respectably as a small price to pay for the ability to fly virtually anywhere for virtually nothing. Sure, I've had mornings where I wanted to fly in sweatpants, but I showered and dressed decently because I honestly believe it actually does raise the airline's image, if even to a small extent. Sure, DL has a nice point about trying to make their nonrevs blend in, but I would venture a guess that at least 90% of the traveling public has no idea what a nonrev is.

checkmark 

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 22):

This is stupid though- a snazzy dresscode was always nice and it kept the nonrevs up front looking good next to some of the slob high-paying FC folks (and made you blend better with the nicely dressed ones).

checkmark 

I don't think I like this one. Of course I think if it were up to me I would implement the dress code for revenue passengers, not remove it for nonrevs! I've never been on an airplane that has a beach or a place to work on your car, so I don't know why people have to dress like they're planning on either of those activities.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

767Lover

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:54 pm

I don't agree with DL at all on this one. Honestly, how hard is it to put on some dockers and a polo shirt? I've always viewed dressing respectably as a small price to pay for the ability to fly virtually anywhere for virtually nothing.

I tend to agree wtih you. If the airline doesn't want to be considered a "greyhound bus in the sky," then there need to be certain standards applied. Also, in the event of emergency is it really smart to have people in flip flops? You can't run in those things.

SBN580

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 24):
I've never been on an airplane that has a beach or a place to work on your car, so I don't know why people have to dress like they're planning on either of those activities.

They aren't. It is probably their ordinary daily wear anyway. That is the way it is these days.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 25):
"greyhound bus in the sky,"

Sadly, you can have that feeling on almost any given airline, any day of the year.
North Central: Good People Made Their Airline Great! FLY MD-90 POWER! Keep 'em Flying DELTA Family!

N1120A

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:09 pm

And?

Quoting Callsigncitrus (Reply 13):
yeah a friend from delta told me that delta wants their non rev passengers to blend in with regular fare-paying passengers.

That actually makes a hell of a lot of sense. Non Revs usually stick out like a sore thumb.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Avatordon

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:25 pm

I'm looking at the DL intranet and don't see any updated info in the "What to Wear" section. Has this been updated elsewhere?

bond007

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 27):
That actually makes a hell of a lot of sense. Non Revs usually stick out like a sore thumb.

Well, I hear what you all say about F/C pax, but in general they are not snooty snobs with ripped jeans and flip-flops. In fact I did a quick 'survey' on my flights this weekend, and the majority of F/C pax had dress pants and polos or dress shirts on .... A non-rev wearing dockers and a polo would not "stick out like a sore thumb" at all.
Sure, there are slobs everywhere, Coach and F/C, but the majority of F/C pax are business travellers anyway, and polo/dockers is almost standard attire!

In my business office if I have customers present (read 'pax' for DL), I don't expect my staff to turn up if they happen to be on vacation, wearing t-shirts and jeans ... especially if I'm giving them a free perk at the same time.

A mistake by DL IMO.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

OOer

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:52 pm

Honestly, how hard is it to put on some dockers and a polo shirt?

Have you tried flying to HNL for the day with dockers and a polo shirt??? Not to mention that there is no way you can hand up your pants and shirt anywhere...by the end of the day your clothes are all wrinkled when you take them out of your backpack. This way I can wear a nice pair of shorts, and a t-shrit or even a polo shirt and look decent on the plane and on waikiki beach!!!!!

Norcal773

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:53 pm

Thank God. I non-reved 3 times on DL and the dress code was ridiculous.
If you're going through hell, keep going

Junction

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:16 pm

This is most surprising, because at one time DL had the strictest dress code of all. I can remember in the mid to late 80s a suite jacket and tie was required for men even in coach.
I agree with allowing shorts in coach, and dropping the dress code for all classes to beach destinations, but I think business casual should still be required for first class to all other destinations. As mentioned above, most paying passengers in first are business casual anyway.

GlobalATL

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:23 pm

Aren't there any standards ANYMORE???

Poor decision by somebody, even though the employees are probably jumping for joy.
I can see it now.
TriStar BusinessElite FedEx AirTran Delta Air Lines oneworld SkyTeam JetBlue/jetBlue MAXjet SkyMiles Eos = good spelling

bond007

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:35 pm

Quoting OOer (Reply 30):
Have you tried flying to HNL for the day with dockers and a polo shirt??? Not to mention that there is no way you can hand up your pants and shirt anywhere...by the end of the day your clothes are all wrinkled when you take them out of your backpack. This way I can wear a nice pair of shorts, and a t-shrit or even a polo shirt and look decent on the plane and on waikiki beach!!!!!

Actually, no I haven't tried flying to HNL for the day ... or had the opportunity for free.

If you can't non-rev and stick to the dress policy, then find somewhere else to fly for free. It's your choice.

Jimbo

[Edited 2007-04-16 16:37:20]
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

NYCAAer

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:52 pm

I'm shocked DL has gone this far with their dress code. At AA, we still have a business casual dress code for non-revs, although no jeans are permitted in First or Business, and men's shirts must have a collar. Up until the late '90s, we had a very strict code whereby you had to wear a suit and tie. I think flip-flops, tank tops and shorts is a bit much.

JayDub

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting NYCAAer (Reply 35):
I think flip-flops, tank tops and shorts is a bit much.

As someone who non-revs on DL often, I agree on the flip flops and tank tops part. Maybe appropriate length khaki shorts. It's going to be interesting seeing how trashy people wind up looking.

Sadly, I won't really get to use the new dress code since jumpseaters are still required biz casual or uniform and I don't ever want to be left behind because I chose to wear jeans. Most non-revs complain that they hardly see F anymore. Heck, my last trip...I didn't even see coach. I got the least comfortable seat in the house. But, hey, it was a free ride and a helluva view.

burnsie28

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:55 am

Pathetic, if your going to represent an airline this shouldn't be allowed.

MSYtristar

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:57 am

Good for DL. As long as people don't come in wearing vulgar tee shirts, or jeans with a bunch of holes in them, who cares? This isn't the 1950's anymore where people used to dress up to go flying like they're going to church or something. Nonrev's across the system should be thanking DL for this. Just another reaosn why DL is one of the more progressive airline's in the U.S right now.

apodino

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting JayDub (Reply 36):
Sadly, I won't really get to use the new dress code since jumpseaters are still required biz casual or uniform and I don't ever want to be left behind because I chose to wear jeans. Most non-revs complain that they hardly see F anymore. Heck, my last trip...I didn't even see coach. I got the least comfortable seat in the house. But, hey, it was a free ride and a helluva view.

And to think at my company we had people whine about being denied the Jumpseat for wearing Jeans, even though our FOM clearly states business casual. And then after the Chief Pilot clarified it, they began ripping the Chief Pilot. Unbelievable.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 37):

I don't look at non-reving as representing an airline. You are required to maintain a low profile when you travel, and most people don't even know you are an airline employee, most people assume you are just another passenger. I think the uniforms are a bit dressy, and I like the fact that USAirways is going to a more business casual uniform, and I despise the new Delta uniforms. But thats a different thread.

That being said, when I non-rev I still throw on a shirt and tie, for the simple reason, if I have to use a Jumpseat or CASS, I think i need to be showing some class in appearance, and plus the passengers won't freak out when they see me up front.

Acey559

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:10 am

This will definitely make my summer travel more comfortable, that's for sure. I never minded dressing up, but long flights wearing slacks, dress shoes, and a polo does get a little uncomfortable on a 9 hour flight from HNL to ATL. However, it is still nice to have the option to dress down if it's a long flight or a cramped airplane.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

afrikaskyes

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:28 am

I never really liked to sit in First class when nonreving on DL. It's always obvious to the other passengers when you're flying nonrev especially when you're a 27 year old ramper and you're dressing all fancy-lad like. An executive I'm not, and that comes out loud and clear, even when I am wearing the former appropriate nonrev attire. It's kinda like when the Federal Air Marshals relaxed their attire while on duty because they were so easy to point out on the airplane. At least now, I will fit in with the rest of the crowd and not stand out so much.

BN727

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:43 am

Hooray, break out the birkenstocks, faded blue jeans, tie-die t-shirts, and Citco baseball caps....

airtran717

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:07 am

But it's ok for someone to PAY for their seat and wear nasty thongs, wifebeaters and a ballcap? Come on. I agree... what's good for the goose is good for the gander here. If it's good enough for paying folks, then passriders should enjoy the same comfort. Then again... I grew a DL kid... back then it was shirt and tie, even as a 9 year old UM.

airtran717

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:12 am

Since the traveling public is not privied to the flight manifest... if you were not told who the non-revs were, would it ever matter to you if they were dressed like you or dressed in business casual? Let's be fair folks. But if you want non-revvers in business casual... I say put the PAYING folks in a dress code similarly as well... gonna get some scoffers at that one... again... what's good for one is good for the other.

airtran717

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 37):

What's the difference when you travel for business? You represent your own company when you travel... show me the difference.

bond007

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting Afrikaskyes (Reply 41):
It's always obvious to the other passengers when you're flying nonrev especially when you're a 27 year old ramper and you're dressing all fancy-lad like

But I think we're talking Dockers and Polo shirt, that's all. That doesn't look out of place in F/C or Coach.

IMO shorts and flip-flops DOES look out in place in F/C.... whether it's a non-rev or an upgrade, or a fare paying passenger. That doesn't make it OK for everyone to wear it. It's called 'standards'.

Quoting AirTran717 (Reply 43):
But it's ok for someone to PAY for their seat and wear nasty thongs, wifebeaters and a ballcap? Come on. I agree... what's good for the goose is good for the gander here. If it's good enough for paying folks, then passriders should enjoy the same comfort.

No, IMO it's not OK. The majority of passengers in F/C are not wearing those things, so let's keep it that way.

This attitude of "well some people do it, so it's OK" just doesn't fly (no pun intended). I hear kids swearing in the mall every weekend, but it doesn't make it OK for my child to do it.

Jimbo

JayDub

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting Apodino (Reply 39):
...plus the passengers won't freak out when they see me up front.

Funny story in regards to this from when I was doing my yearly observation jumpseating this past week...

I take my own headset with me when I go for my observation and, out of habit and personal comfort, I wear a bandana/do rag on my head when the cockpit door is closed and latched (it keeps my "longer-than-an-average pilot" hair from getting caught in the headband part of the headset). Seeing how most pilots have a favorite hat that goes on after the door is latched...this isn't a problem.

I was strapped in for the flight with my bandana on and my headset plugged in when the first officer had to hop out and check something on the fueling bay. I unstrapped, hopped out of the jumpseat, opened the door, and nearly fell onto the F/A in the forward galley in my haste (we still had a shot at getting on-time) with my funky sunglasses, bandana, headset, and all. Needless to say, I looked ridiculous and I'm sure a few people were thinking "Who is this idiot and why are they allowing him to ride the jumpseat?". It was quite comical.

ua777222

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:29 am

I think that DL dropping their restrictions is going to be welcomed with mixed emotions. I'm not entirally sure about their motivation to make such a move as employees, regardless of on an aircraft, at the gate, in the parking lot, or checking out at the store, represent their airline and what their airline stands for. As a known legacy, it surprises me that DL would allow this. Remember, this is the airline that fired a FA for posing for a picture on an empty aircraft, outside of view of any rev. Passengers.

All I have to say is that, in times like these, any debate or foul attention to an airline is not good for business.

Completely mixed about this.
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

EXAAUADL

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:51 am

I dont think employees should be allowed to wear shorts or wear jean in premium classes

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos