United Airline
Topic Author

Will BA/QF/NW Return To KUL?

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:59 pm

Will BA/QF/NW return to KUL? LH is already back in KUL

The Malaysian government is trying very hard to get these carriers back from what I read

flyboysp

RE: Will BA/QF/NW Return To KUL?

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
Will BA/QF/NW return to KUL? LH is already back in KUL

QF itself will not be there, the QANTAS group will be at KUL from September 9 when Jetstar commence SYD-KUL services 3 times per week. If things go well it might go to QF metal, however i think it is more likely that Jetstar will continue with these services.
#proudtobeabulldog

LurveBus

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:10 am

MH already has enough flights to Europe, Australia, and the US to cover current demand. In BA's case, they're making more money sending their 744s to India than to Melbourne. In QF's case, they feel that jetstar can cut it. As for NW, any flight to KUL would be routed via Japan, and would fit perfectly into their hub structure. I don't know why they stopped KUL, though.

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 am

Wonder if UA will fly to KUL one day.

BA should give it another try

jimyvr

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 3):

UA To KUL? Possible? (by United Airline May 25 2007 in Civil Aviation) Will KUL Ever Become A Hub? (by United Airline May 31 2005 in Civil Aviation)

Will BA return to KUL?

BA And AKL/KUL/MNL/TPE (by United Airline Feb 24 2005 in Civil Aviation)
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

TreeHillRavens

Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting LurveBus (Reply 2):
As for NW, any flight to KUL would be routed via Japan, and would fit perfectly into their hub structure. I don't know why they stopped KUL, though.

NW had done this twice. First time in the 80s via NRT and then in the late 90s via KIX. I am not sure what aircraft was used in the 80s via NRT by NW but in NW flight via KIX in the late 90s was operated by a D10. In fact, NWA D10 were stranded in KUL for about a week after 9/11. KUL was suspended not long after 9/11.

May be one day MAS join SkyTeam (if), NWA might resume their service to KUL (i hope NWA will route it via NRT if they ever come back).

jimyvr

Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting TreeHillRavens (Reply 5):
NWA might resume their service to KUL

NWA currently relies on codeshare with KLM.

It may think about returning to KUL if it wants to cooperate with MAS since their timing at NRT always requires overnight stay at NRT.

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:46 am

Some flights transitting at NRT require an overnight stay which is very inconvenient.

centrair

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:14 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 7):
Some flights transitting at NRT require an overnight stay which is very inconvenient.

Totally. Westbound requires overnighting as most North American arrivals (JL and AM have early morning arrivals) arrive in the afternoon while Southeast Asia bound depart in the morning. But from Southeast Asia the transit is okay as the arrivals from Asia arrive in the morning and departures to North America depart in the afternoon. NW on the other hand has their Asia bound flight leave in the evening arriving at their destination in the late night.

NW returning to KUL? Get the 787s moving around then change NRT-PEK from an A332 to a 787 and you have a free A332 to go to KUL. Question is can it be filled. I personally think that MAS and NW should codeshare a flight and line up schedules to make it work. Or just feed KUL pax through AMS on KL.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

jimyvr

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting Centrair (Reply 8):
Or just feed KUL pax through AMS on KL.

That's what they're doing right now.

burnsie28

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:03 am

KUL was discontinued the second time because of the poor economy in Asia and SARS.

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:06 am

Totally. Westbound requires overnighting as most North American arrivals (JL and AM have early morning arrivals) arrive in the afternoon while Southeast Asia bound depart in the morning. But from Southeast Asia the transit is okay as the arrivals from Asia arrive in the morning and departures to North America depart in the afternoon. NW on the other hand has their Asia bound flight leave in the evening arriving at their destination in the late night.

Wonder why they don't have better connection timing

Ryanair!!!

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting LurveBus (Reply 2):
As for NW, any flight to KUL would be routed via Japan, and would fit perfectly into their hub structure. I don't know why they stopped KUL, though.

KUL is a mixed bags of nuts. Depending on the region you want to concentrate your efforts on, US-Malaysia traffic is terribly low-yielding. One indication is the present MAS flights to LAX and EWR. They aren't daily flights. In order to fill the seats, HUGE concessions are given at sometimes ridiculously low prices. Heck, SIN-KUL-TPE-LAX can be bought for as low as SGD 400.00 before taxes.

Therefore, as far as the US carriers are concerned, KUL and SIN are very close to one another and the latter peforms far better as a station. Why sacrifice an additional airframe just so that one more dot can be put on the network? A potentially bleeding dot, might I add.

If the situation was reversed, would SQ also fly into Seattle when they are already operating into Vancouver?
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:00 pm

I thought MH is doing well on its US flights. What about LHR?

VHXLR8

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:00 pm

The Malaysian government is trying very hard to get these carriers back from what I read

The same government who's relationship with Australia can be described as 'frosty' at best?!?!

Pieinthesky

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:42 pm

Nope.

BA should give it another try

No they shouldn't, there are far more profitable markets available to them than KUL.

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 4):

UA To KUL? Possible? (by United Airline May 25 2007 in Civil Aviation)
Will KUL Ever Become A Hub? (by United Airline May 31 2005 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 4):
BA And AKL/KUL/MNL/TPE (by United Airline Feb 24 2005 in Civil Aviation)

Exactly.....

MAS777

Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting TreeHillRavens (Reply 5):
NW had done this twice. First time in the 80s via NRT and then in the late 90s via KIX. I am not sure what aircraft was used in the 80s via NRT by NW but in NW flight via KIX in the late 90s was operated by a D10. In fact, NWA D10 were stranded in KUL for about a week after 9/11. KUL was suspended not long after 9/11.

May be one day MAS join SkyTeam (if), NWA might resume their service to KUL (i hope NWA will route it via NRT if they ever come back).

See the Malaysian Aviation Thread 5 - MAS and Continental may enter a code-share soon as MAS continues to 'date' Skyteam carriers. Newark-Liberty would be an ideal hub for connecting passengers for the Eastern Seaboard although the flight timings might need to be reviewed if this was to proceed.

NWA and MAS do still have a yet-to-be-exercised Anti-Trust Immunity Agreement so that could become useful if MAS was to become part of Skyteam. The original plan was for MAS and NWA to use Nagoya (?) as a mini-hub although this never materialised as mentioned.

NWA operated the 747 Classic in the early 1980s into KUL and the flight originated in MSP IIRC.

See other threads with regards to BA and QF.

There is even less of an incentive for BA to return to KUL given the imminent start of Air Asia Express commencing lo-cost travel between the UK and Malaysia.

My top tip-offs for new airlines to Malaysia include...

Finnair reconsidering a service to KUL
Alitalia considering a MXP-BKK-KUL service if it manages to get out of its financial ills
Royal Jordanian considering a return to KUL
Aeroflot considering a return to KUL and maybe even extending this onward to SYD/MEL

I would even consider the possibility of AF starting a CDG-KUL service before we see the likes of BA back at KUL

just my hunches..

Quoting VHXLR8 (Reply 14):
The same government who's relationship with Australia can be described as 'frosty' at best?!?!

Time to move on... relations between Malaysia and Australia are bucking up following the 'departure' of Dr. M.. it is hoped that when John Howard goes - things will get even warmer.

andaman

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:35 pm

Quoting MAS777 (Reply 16):

My top tip-offs for new airlines to Malaysia include...

Finnair reconsidering a service to KUL

I believe so too, sooner or later they will fly to KUL.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Carpethead

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:49 pm

NW returning to KUL? Get the 787s moving around then change NRT-PEK from an A332 to a 787 and you have a free A332 to go to KUL.

Or the other way around because the 787 will have less seats than the A332.

Or better yet, the 788 could result in the re-establishment of the mini-hub at KIX.
KIX to SEA, LAX, & MSP for mainland US.
KIX to KUL, and other cities in Asia.

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:54 pm

KUL needs more airlines.

Does KLM still fly daily B 747-400 to KUL?

BA tried very hard to keep KUL with extensions to Australia and Indonesia. What cities were they and how did that go?

[Edited 2007-07-19 07:55:21]

MAS777

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:52 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 19):
Does KLM still fly daily B 747-400 to KUL?

yup and i think it will continue as KLM and MAS plan to expand their code-share even further.

Quoting United Airline (Reply 19):
BA tried very hard to keep KUL with extensions to Australia and Indonesia. What cities were they and how did that go?

BA operated traditionally as...

BA9 operating on to Australia and New Zealand before moving BA9 to BKK (1970s, 1980s)
BA33 then operated LHR-BAH-BKK-KUL and LHR-AUH-KUL-MNL for some time (from mid 80s) initially by TriStar and then later 747 Classics.
BA149 then operated LHR-KWI-MAA-KUL and then LHR-MAA-KUL (when the 744s arrived) when BA9 was again rerouted via KUL on certain days (again with 744s as the Middle East stop was eliminated) (1990s)
BA33 then returned as LHR-KUL-CGK and LHR-KUL-SYD for a short period until QF got into a huff about it.
BA33 then became LHR-KUL-CGK operated by the 777IGW and 777ER and was BA's longest 777 route for a while (late 90s, turn of millenium)

BA33 was then scheduled to revert back to the 744 on certain days operating LHR-KUL (turnaround service x3 week) whilst the 777 was to continue operating onwards to CGK (but with a reduced 3x week freq)... until their Future Size and Shape plan came into being and this plan never materialised.

The rest as we say is history...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos