ONTFlyer
Topic Author

Accident At Mojave Airport

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:33 am

Sorry if this has already been posted...

Just hearing word over the scanners here at my station that Kern Co. Fire responded to an accident earlier this afternoon at the Mojave (MHV) airport. Preliminary reports are sadly that there are two fatalities. The initial call came in as an explosion in an area where rocket testing is done at the airport. That's all the info I have right now. I am still trying to gather more info from a friend that works for KCF. Will try to update when I can. If anyone has more info please let us know.

ONTFlyer
Doin' just fine thanks...

jfktowerfan
Editor

RE: Accident At Mojave Airport

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:42 am

C'mon Man

FlightShadow

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:30 am

Reports now say now 2 people are dead, 4 are critically wounded. My thoughts go out to all involved, and let us hope those cricitally wounded pull through.

[Edited 2007-07-27 02:31:31]
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

SkyvanMan

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:32 am

Looks like an explosion of a rocket launch site since there was a Scaled Composites truck close by and I saw a truss damaged. There have been 2 deaths reported and four people were injured. They say a tank may have exploded and a sonic boom occurred. I am listening to it right now on ABC 7 news. The explosion was at a remote test site on the Northeast side of the airport. They have to send haz-mat crews in but it is not safe yet. They know that Nitrous Oxide was involved but they don't know much else according to a County Fire Official. It was definitely at Scaled Composites since Burt Rutan is on the way and it has been confirmed by the fire official. The company is trying to figure out what happened right now. That's all I've gotten from ABC 7 so far.
The 3 best planes of all time: Shorts Skyvan, 330 and 360

OPNLguy

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:54 am

Quoting SkyvanMan (Reply 3):
They know that Nitrous Oxide was involved but they don't know much else according to a County Fire Official. It was definitely at Scaled Composites since Burt Rutan is on the way and it has been confirmed by the fire official.

I read on another board that this may be involved..

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tiero..._general/Monods_and_test_stand_800
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

fanofjets

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:55 am

This is what I have gleaned from CNN:

"It happened at the Mojave Air and Space Port during a test of a new rocket motor for SpaceShipTwo -- a spaceship being built for Virgin Galactic, Richard Branson's space tourism company, a source said. The motor uses nitrous oxide, the source said.

A spokeswoman for the spaceport, about 80 miles north of Los Angeles, said the blast was on a remote pad.

Aerial video of the blast aftermath showed a charred and twisted flatbed trailer attached to a truck cab with a large silver tank next to it. Large pieces of debris appeared to be strewn for hundreds of yards from the center.

About 200 yards away was a bunker with a truck owned by Scaled Composites...."
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

lightsaber

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:54 am

My sympathies to the families of the departed.

This is very sad and is the talk of my work. We're a propulsion department that also makes rocket engines. There is a reason rocket test stands are always very remote; rockets simply do not work well except with incredibly reactive fuels due to the required intensity of combustion. Thus, the chance of explosion is always there. You plan to avoid the worst, but sometimes it happens.  Sad

Propulsion analysis, integration, and test is my field. So while I didn't know the individuals killed, its a small field (about 2,000 engineers nationally) and many of my coworkers will be attending the funerals.  Sad

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos