myk
Topic Author

Why "ok" In CSA Czech Airlines

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Dear frinds,

just wanted to know why OK stands for czech registered aircrafts ?

thanks for an answer

JoKeR

RE: Why "ok" In CSA Czech Airlines

Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:40 pm

This was the code awarded to them by ICAO and IATA...

RIXrat

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:07 pm

Urban legend says that when airline names were awarded -- I believe in 1946/46 -- the Czechoslovak delegation, not versed too much in English, just said OK to the questions asked. So the name stuck.

PanAm747

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:08 pm

When the country was "Czechoslovakia", the registration code for the country was "OK":

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ralf Manteufel

CSA, as the airline was known as, made the most of the term "OK" as it has become fairly universal - some of their jet-powered aircraft were known as "OKJets".

The "Velvet Divorce" that separated the country into the Czech Republic and Slovakia gave the Czech Republic the code OK for its planes:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Petr Popelar

Slovakia was given the code "OM":

View Large View Medium

Photo © Felix Mayer727

Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Viscount724

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:18 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 1):
This was the code awarded to them by ICAO and IATA...

Don't think OK stands for anything. It's one of the fairly rare cases where the aircraft registration prefix assigned by ICAO (a UN agency) for the country is the same as the airline's 2-letter code assigned by IATA. In many if not most cases, the registration prefix (and often the airline code) are meaningless. For example, the registration prefix for Finland is OH and Finnair's IATA code is AY. Airlines will often request an IATA code that has some relationship to the airline's name (e.g. the first 2 letters etc.) but if the preferred code is already assigned they have to take what's available, which today often means an alpha-numeric code because they have starting running out of 2-letter codes. e.g. JetBlue = B6.

I am guessing that when the airline 2-letter codes were assigned many years ago they may simply requested the same code as the aircraft registration prefix. And "OK" is a widely-understood term in its non-airline context, even in languages other than English.

OzarkD9S

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:00 am

I would be more interested in knowing why they keep the "S" in CSA....marketing reasons I suppose, but with Slovakia being a separate country, it seems a bit odd.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Rivet42

Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 5):
I would be more interested in knowing why they keep the "S" in CSA....marketing reasons I suppose, but with Slovakia being a separate country, it seems a bit odd.

...if you look at their website, you'll see that CSA originally stood for Czechoslovak State Airlines. Thus CSA is still 'valid', if taken to mean, nominally at least, Czech State Airlines.

Riv'
I travel, therefore I am.

WildcatYXU

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting Rivet42 (Reply 6):
..if you look at their website, you'll see that CSA originally stood for Czechoslovak State Airlines. Thus CSA is still 'valid', if taken to mean, nominally at least, Czech State Airlines.

Riv'

I wasn't the case in time of separation. The business name was Ceskoslovenske Aerolinie without the state in name.

I agree, (our friend Turbolet would not). However, It's the same company, so they kept it. BTW, CSA is still serving Slovakia (and is having flights to quite weird locations), so why not? Many people in Slovakia still consider CSA "our airline", same as Skoda is still "our car".
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

JoKeR

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:39 am

Same question posed frequently in Serbia over JAT which is an abbreviation of Jugoslovesnki Aerotransport or Yugoslav Airlines

FlySSC

Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:29 pm

As mentionned, OK is the IATA code for CSA and the registration code for aircraft of the Czech RepubliC.

I think CSA was also the only airline in the world to display its IATA code as a livery in its old colorscheme :

View Large View Medium

Photo © James Richard Covington
View Large View Medium

Photo © Aad van der Voet

Jano

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting RIXrat (Reply 2):
Urban legend says that when airline names were awarded -- I believe in 1946/46 -- the Czechoslovak delegation, not versed too much in English, just said OK to the questions asked. So the name stuck.

The rumor has it that the CSA's delegation was lead by a guy called Ondrej Koren. And when asked what registration the delegation wanted for CSA he could not think of anything else but OK  Wink
The Widget Air Line :)

Viscount724

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 9):
I think CSA was also the only airline in the world to display its IATA code as a livery in its old colorscheme

There's at least one more. Siberia Airlines even changed their marketing name to S7 Airlines, based on their IATA code, although their legal name remains Siberia Airlines (or it's Russian equivalent).

View Large View Medium

Photo © A J Best
View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Van Bosch

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos