VC10er
Topic Author

Why Does The UA New F Seat A Shoulder Strap?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:47 am

As most probably know, even if you haven't flown in one ...why does the new United First Class seat have a shoulder strap? I have been in similar style seats, with the same amout of roominess etc but have not encounterd them before. Is it there for added "specialness" or did the have to add it for reasons not apparent to me. I will admit that it does (for me) provide extra peace of mind.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

United1

RE: Why Does The UA New F Seat A Shoulder Strap?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:50 am

IIRC correctly it has something to do with the G force ratings/certification on the seat. You only need to wear it for taxi, takeoff and landing.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

aloges

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:50 am

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

VC10er
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:29 am

Well thanks for that link! It further re enforces my hope that in a major crash I want to be over quickly and I fear surviving almost more. I'm not afraid of dying, I have, so far had the best life ever. What I don't want is to be horribly injured or burned to death. I have no fear of flying anyway so I worry more about the Pulaski Skyway!

Is there another airline that uses shoulder straps just the same as UA? UA is my first.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

quiet1

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:26 am

I heard the reason they are present is that the FAA now says they are required.  

And, the reason is because of the angling of the seat, supposedly. The older configuration with angled seats was approved before the new FAA requirement and are "grandfathered in" to continue use without the belt.

I believe that a shoulder belt is not the only way to placate the FAA, though. Some other airlines have an airbag embedded in the seat belt somehow, no? If so, my guess is that the reason you see a shoulder belt on UA is because it's cheaper. (Isn't that why they're dumping Apollo for SHARES?    )

andz

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:11 am

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 4):
Some other airlines have an airbag embedded in the seat belt somehow,

SAA have them on certain seats in the 346 and they are terribly uncomfortable.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

slinky09

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:00 am

VS has the airbag in the seat, and IIRC CX takes the shoulder strap option.

bananaboy

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:58 am

The Asiana OZ Quadra Smartium C class seats also have shoulder straps.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

qf002

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:00 am

Quoting VC10er (Reply 3):
Is there another airline that uses shoulder straps just the same as UA? UA is my first.

QF on the A380 has then in F, and the older CX J config (the herringbone one) has them (but for some reason not at all seats IIRC).

daron4000

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 pm

They had the option of the seatbelt airbag option, which airlines above use. For example, I've seen it in SQ F on the 77W. I have to imagine that the shoulder strap is cheaper to install and maintain and is why UA went with this option.

[Edited 2012-01-05 08:20:40]

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Always wondered why we have the airbag pouch on the seat belts in the new J suites on Delta. Learn something new every day.
What gets measured gets done.

Markhkg

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 8):
older CX J config (the herringbone one) has them

All 747A Herringbone seats on the CX have the shoulder belt. The same seat design on the CX 777 aircraft transitioned to Amsafe airbag seat belts. The newer version of the J class seat (Zodiac Sicma Aero Cirrus brand I think), installed only on Boeing 777-300ER and Airbus A330-300 aircraft, will continue to use airbag seat belts.

The problem with the shoulder strap is really passenger compliance. Most of the J-Class cabin fails to realize they need to wear the shoulder belt during taxi, takeoff and landing and it is a much more time consuming for the cabin crew to do their seat belt safety checks. Also makes the brace position inconsistent amongst the entire aircraft. (Shoulder belt brace position for forward facing seat is to sit upright, chin down...i.e. don't lean over). Some of the CX shoulder straps also weren't very long which presented issues with larger passengers.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

quiet1

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:56 pm

I wonder if the shoulder strap might actually be a better protective device than air bags. Airplane crashes often can involve multiple impacts and lengthy travel after initial impact. How long does the air bag remain inflated? Is it like the one in cars that almost instantly deflates after initial impact?

Markhkg

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 12):
Is it like the one in cars that almost instantly deflates after initial impact?

The seat belt airbag does immediately deflate after the initial impact. Sort of needed to allow for immediate egress.

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 12):
shoulder strap might actually be a better protective device

I think it would be if it was a 4-point harness, but I'm not particularly impressed by the shoulder belt design on most of these seats. The air bag does have the additional benefit of protecting the torso and substantially reduces the head injury criterion.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

pnwtraveler

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:33 pm

When AC reconfiguered its fleet, first row economy (row 12) was converted to airbags in the seat belts. The distance to the J Class hard seat back in Executive Firstwas the reason. There are various options where to put the airbags. I don't particularly like the seat belt airbag because of the extra room it takes up. I would have much prefered a shoulder belt but in that seat it isn't possible. If in the angled seats (or any seat) you can bang yourself on the seat or structure ahead then an extra belt or airbag is warranted. However, the airbag is much more expensive, and more maintenance is required.

qf002

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Quoting Markhkg (Reply 11):
All 747A Herringbone seats on the CX have the shoulder belt. The same seat design on the CX 777 aircraft transitioned to Amsafe airbag seat belts. The newer version of the J class seat (Zodiac Sicma Aero Cirrus brand I think), installed only on Boeing 777-300ER and Airbus A330-300 aircraft, will continue to use airbag seat belts.

Thanks for that -- I remember my grandparents complaining about the shoulder straps, but they said something about not all the seats having them. I guess that came from travelling on a 744 then an A333 for the second leg... I don't think the airbag belts are such an issue in J, but they're horrible in Y (just due to the lack of space to spread out into!).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos