Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

MaverickM11

RE: SQ Reintroducing Y Class On A345, Any News?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 49):
And so? No it is not crystal clear, so perhaps you should elaborate on the point you are trying to make, rather than I make assumptions on your flawed reasoning.

Why do you think they pulled only the ULH flights, and nothing else?
I don't take responsibility at all

falkerker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 25):
I've never been on an Airbus. But i dont need to

The problem with narrow minds is wide mouths... Since you've never been on an airbus, tell us how much experience you have on the A345 or about SQ's numbers. Opinions are opinions, but I find people who go out of their way to fly just A or B truly narrowminded and moronic.

I shall now don my fire-resistant suit. (stolen line)

Stitch

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Quoting falkerker (Reply 51):

Considering that CHRISBA777ER's statement was facetious hyperbole - and specifically stated by him as such...

neutrino

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 52):
Quoting falkerker (Reply 51):
The problem with narrow minds is wide mouths...

Considering that CHRISBA777ER's statement was facetious hyperbole - and specifically stated by him as such...

That's the problem with narrow eyes and a wide mouth! (partially stolen line)
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

huaiwei

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 50):
Why do you think they pulled only the ULH flights, and nothing else?

Why don't you share your reasoning instead, since I do not work for SQ and have no privy to their planning processes and operational/financial data?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

BestWestern

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:12 pm

If the A345 was as noisy as a 77L, it would be more successful to LAX and EWR, because, as you know, we americans like noise!  
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Stitch

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 55):
If the A345 was as noisy as a 77L, it would be more successful to LAX and EWR, because, as you know, we americans like noise!   

Evidently Americans are not alone in this preference, considering how the A340 fared against the 777 around the world.   

MaverickM11

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 54):
Why don't you share your reasoning instead, since I do not work for SQ and have no privy to their planning processes and operational/financial data?

Airlines generally don't cut profitable flying. Of all the currently operated SQ nonstops to the US, only the ULH flights have been cut back; it's clear to me that they are the weakest flights.

neutrino

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 57):
Of all the currently operated SQ nonstops to the US, only the ULH flights have been cut back; it's clear to me that they are the weakest flights.

Huh?
The ULHs are the only currently operated SQ nonstops to the US. The others are onestops.

huaiwei

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:31 pm

it's clear to me that they are the weakest flights.

Weakest amongst which flights? Because as neutrino pointed out, you seem to think Sq flies non-ULH non-stops to the US?

And does being the weakest flights amount to making losses? What makes you think that there is no profit to be earned?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

MaverickM11

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Quoting neutrino (Reply 58):
Huh?
The ULHs are the only currently operated SQ nonstops to the US. The others are onestops.
Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 37):
Since the two ULH routes started, and again excluding IAH, none of the other SQ routes to the US that are still operating were reduced to less than daily.
Quoting huaiwei (Reply 59):
Because as neutrino pointed out, you seem to think Sq flies non-ULH non-stops to the US?

See above.

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 59):
And does being the weakest flights amount to making losses? What makes you think that there is no profit to be earned?

Yes, it probably does. Why else would SQ reduce them? I don't believe for a second LAX is profitable, and I believe EWR generally covers cash. Then again they talk of adding Y seats back to the routes, when they originally took them away--why would SQ do that if the ULH were doing just fine?

col

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Of all the currently operated SQ nonstops to the US, only the ULH flights have been cut back; it's clear to me that they are the weakest flights.

During the ULH days SQ has cut a few one stop routes, but kept the ULH running. I am not sure what SQ will do, but I am sure they have a handle on it.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 60):
Then again they talk of adding Y seats back to the routes, when they originally took them away--why would SQ do that if the ULH were doing just fine?

Market changes and to make the route more attractive for them and their customer. SQ seem to do this successfully year, after year, after year.

MaverickM11

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Quoting col (Reply 61):
During the ULH days SQ has cut a few one stop routes, but kept the ULH running. I am not sure what SQ will do, but I am sure they have a handle on it.

Those routes had opportunity costs--flying LAXTPE for example meant not using a 77W/772/744 elsewhere. Canceling it meant SQ could add capacity elsewhere. Canceling EWR/LAXSIN means SQ has lots of paperweights; the 345 is not going to work anywhere within the 77W/772 range nearly as well.

Quoting col (Reply 61):
Market changes and to make the route more attractive for them and their customer. SQ seem to do this successfully year, after year, after year.

I think they're still trying to make it work consistently; I don't think the market has fundamentally chagned in anyway. SQ has done well, but that doesn't mean 100% of their network works 100% of the time. And if airlines never made any missteps, there'd be no reason for a.net.

SKAirbus

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Terrible that so many people still have this "if it ain't Boeing it ain't going" nonsense.

Give me an A340-500/600 with 2-4-2- config over 3-3-3 and 3-4-3 777s.
Base: BRU

neutrino

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 63):
Give me an A340-500/600 with 2-4-2- config over 3-3-3 and 3-4-3 777s.

And give me a 767 with 2-3-2 over an A345/6 with 2-4-2 anytime. Or a DC-9 with 2-3 over a 737/A320 with 3-3. Or a private jet with my personalised configuration over any commercial conveyance. 
Seriously, aircraft make feature very low over my choice of flight. Price point and timing take precedence over everything else. I am inclined towards Boeing but the majority of my flights happened on Airbus. No issue for me. Just take me where I want to go; safely and uneventfully for a good price at my most convenient time and I am fine with any metal...or plastic.

shankly

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:03 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 25):
Blows my mind the hammering the A345 takes on here. Sometimes it feels like (*sarcasm on*)

That is the Airliners.net Olympics Gold medal post....bloody classic Chris and reading the posts afterwards makes it even better.

Quoting Stitch (Reply 56):
Evidently Americans are not alone in this preference, considering how the A340 fared against the 777 around the world

Did Stitch even bite?
L1011 - P F M

Stitch

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 63):
Terrible that so many people still have this "if it ain't Boeing it ain't going" nonsense.

I'm inclined to say the same of the "Airbus or Bust" crowd, but the fact is that as consumers, people have preferences and companies - including Airbus and Boeing - work hard to instill and exploit those preferences in consumers so they will buy their products (if by a third party in the case of commercial aviation).

On an commercial aviation OEM level, I do not have universal preferences for a particular OEM (the closest would be for Embraer products), but I very much have individual model preferences across the lot of them.

Quoting shankly (Reply 65):
Did Stitch even bite?

Even if Chris had not noted his post was sarcastic, I am familiar enough with his positions that I knew he was having a jest.  

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos