airliner371
Topic Author

Southwest (AirTran) Launches New Credit Card

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 pm

I just received an email that AirTran has a new credit card.

My question/inference is why launch a credit card when it will eventually transfer to SWA? AirTran had stopped applications for their credit card after the merger was announced. Is this because Southwest knows AirTran will now be around for about 2 more years and this is to get back some business travelers? Interesting...

[Edited 2012-09-27 15:11:48]

Triple7Lr

RE: Southwest (AirTran) Launches New Credit Card

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Interesting. They're offering 2 free business class upgrades a selling point they can't use once fully integrated.

usflyguy

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 pm

You do realize that shows all of your info? Correct?
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

phxa340

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:09 pm

HA I love the irony ... it has Gary Kelly (SWA CEO) on the AirTran card for the name.

Btw man take down the link ... it has your address on it.

[Edited 2012-09-27 15:10:59]

airliner371
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 2):
You do realize that shows all of your info? Correct?
Quoting phxa340 (Reply 3):
Btw man take down the link ... it has your address on it.

Thank you both, I did not realize that!

netjetandy

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:38 pm

I received the same invite to apply. I saw that this new card was from Chase (same as SWA) and the old Airtran card was from Barclays. So I assumed this was the first step in moving everyone over to one card. They will send you a new piece of plastic with SWA on it when the merger completes....but in the meantime they're going to saturate the market one last time to try to win a bunch of loyal airtran fliers while they can.

Sadly most of the loyal airtraners that would qualify and apply for this card won't be using SWA if they can't fly first class when the full merger does happen.

airliner371
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:03 am

Quoting netjetandy (Reply 5):
can't fly first class

We know SWA won't be doing First or Business class anytime soon but I wonder if they would at least consider a premium economy seat. That similar to what B6 does.

gizmonc

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:34 am

Any frequent flyer credit card is a GOLD MINE for the airline. It will be years before the AirTran name goes away.
So offering a card is a smart idea. It entices some to order the card and spend to get the points. Others might just get the card to make a vacation. But there is GOLD in them CARDS.

Average number of credit cards held by cardholders: 3.5, as of yearend 2008 (Source: "The Survey of Consumer Payment Choice," Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, January

That number was over 4 years ago I would bet the average person now has 5-10 credit cards in their wallet.

Delta's SkyMiles members had 510 billion unused miles in their accounts at the end of last year, while the MileagePlus program offered by United Air Lines had 488 billion unused miles and the AAdvantage plan of American Airlines had 613 billion.

So if these are that important to the others is has to be a CASH COW for other carriers. AKA AirTran

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos