Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ferpe
Topic Author

Through Avio GE Owns The GTF Fan Gear Supplier

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:40 am

GE has reached an agreement with AVIOs owners to buy AVIO (Turin Italy based mechanical company) who makes mainly gearboxes for turbfoans but also other engines parts. The deal still requires the typical authorities approvals but that should be no problem. The real interesting piece is that Avio was the PW partner who developed the GTF gearbox with PW:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article....l/AW_12_24_2012_p44-530390.xml&p=2

I should be not to comfortable with this move by GE if I was PW  Wow! .
Non French in France

PW100

RE: Through Avio GE Owns The GTF Fan Gear Supplier

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Yes, I also noticed that. I'm not sure though if GE could get access to any IP related to the GTF. Since Avio had been dealing with GE for a long time, one would expect that Pratt would have made sure that any critical IP related to the GTF is protected through service level agreements and water tight contracts.

Also, the most important part in the GTF IP is not the gearbox hardware, but the aerodynamic matching of the cold section to the hot section (not only the LP spool, but also the HP spool!), matching the individual component efficiencies of the LP, HP compressor, and HP and LP turbine. Although GE does have excellent experience here, once one introduces a 3:1 ratio between the LPT and LP compressor, they will find themselves in uncharted territory since this is very far off the baseline of everything they have done before. This is where Pratt really holds the critical IP.

In any case, still this deal could make some folks at Pratt a little nervous.

BTW, Avio is not listed (any more?) as a P&W partner on the Pure Power website . . .
http://www.purepowerengine.com/partners.html

BTW2 IP = Intellectual Property

Rgds,
PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

ferpe
Topic Author

RE: Through Avio GE Owns The GTF Fan Gear Supplier

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks PW100, good insights. I also know from Lightsaber that the critical gear knowledge partly is how to observe changes in tempereatures on oil etc to predict a failure or bad functioning gear some 400 cycles in advance. I can't help thinking however that the guys at AVIO have to be pretty thick not to grasp the sift of what it is important in such matters when they are the gear partner, it is virtually impossible to work together without the other guy understanding quite a bit of the bigger picture.

Having worked in high tech all my life and being pretty interested in understanding what the others including the competition is doing I know how little one needs to start to add 2+2 and get 4.
Non French in France

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos