vfw614
Topic Author

Ed Force One To Fly Again? Bruce Sets Up Airline

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden and Astraeus fame plans to add an airline to his aviation business he has quietly grown over the past couple of years in Cardiff. Plan is to move from biz jets to regional jets to airliners and provide pretty much the product Astraeus offered before it went bust:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ng-his-airline-off-the-ground.html

How do you think is the market for an Astraeus Mk. II ? Is there currently unmet demand in the UK or in Europe?

P.S.: Not sure if it would also mean the return of Ed Force One (for those non-headbangers - the Iron Maiden branded plane used to shuttle around Iron Maiden on tours).

[Edited 2013-06-01 14:39:26]

2008matt

RE: Ed Force One To Fly Again? Bruce Sets Up Airline

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:02 am

Who knows, my vote is give it a crack. Where would they be based out of? Cardiff?
Every Achievement Starts with a Decision to Try :)

vfw614
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:44 pm

I guess much depends on to what extent Titan Airways now covers this market now that they have moved into the 180-250 seat category.

NASCARAirforce

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:28 pm

This is why Iron Maiden is one of the few 80s metal bands that have actually gotten bigger and bigger over time. Most big 80s bands are either done, or just playing the small clubs and barely surviving. Had Bruce (and Adrian) not come back to Maiden in 1999, I don't think Iron Maiden would still be around either as I basically saw them playing in a small club in 1996 when they had Blayze singing for them for those 2 albums.

Bruce is always coming up with something new and keeps active. I admire his push and drive. I doubt we will ever see one of his planes in the States unless he makes another Ed Force One and goes on tour here. I think had he been running Astraeus they would still be around to this day though.

Tdan

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:29 pm

It sounds like he wants to start a hybrid Astraeus/Privatair airline which should have lots and lots of synergies with their MRO business. It's the next logical step. Captain Bruce is truly one of a kind! Up the irons!!!
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

shufflemoomin

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:26 pm

I hope this does well. I don't understand how anyone couldn't like or respect Bruce. He's a great musician, pilot, businessman and person. I wish him well.

bralo20

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Well, he didn't sit still in the year he founded Cardiff Aviation. They did start MRO on several aircraft, did some storage and about a month ago Cardiff Aviation acquired European Skybus Limited which includes several full flight simulators including a 747-400 one.

So I have no doubts that he will succeed with his "own" airline and wish him all the luck. The market will dictate if this new airline will survive or not, I certainly hope it will.

Apparently his airline will be named "Flystar".

[Edited 2013-06-02 12:10:20]

by738

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Mmm. Not really a great time to be starting a regional airline and a hybrid one at that. Once bitten and all that. I remain to be convinced if this is a realistic opportunity or an ego massaging over zealous hobby ?

vfw614
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:52 pm

I don't think he plans a regional airline, but rather an ACMI / wet lease operation with regional aircraft initially (pretty much the concept of the predecessor British World and biggest would.be competitor Titan Airways - they worked their way up the food chain aircraft-size wise).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos