Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LatinPlane
Topic Author

Pan Am And The Beatles 50 Years Ago

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 pm

On this day fifty years ago, February 7, 1964, the Beatles landed at New York’s JFK International airport on-board Pan American’s Boeing 707 registered N704PA, Clipper Defiance. The crowd, mostly composed of teenage girls, went wild that day and staged a memorable scene of which is still remembered as the day the Beatles invaded America! Pan Am’s marketing department pretty cleverly used the moment to market its brand in the limelight as seen when the group disembarks from the plane and followed at the press conference room at JFK with the smartly-placed blue ball logos at the podium.

-

-

-
http://community.digitalmediaacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/The-Beatles-meet-reporters-NYC-Pan-Am.jpeg

What a memorable occasion. Pan Am was pretty ahead of its time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Df-LvrRcEo

[Edited 2014-02-07 13:42:32]
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

TW870

RE: Pan Am And The Beatles 50 Years Ago

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:33 pm

I always feel like TWA must feel so burned by all of Pan Am's publicity around this, as the airplane - N704PA - is one of the 707-331s that TW had ordered but that they had to refuse delivery of - I believe because of one of their many cash crises. Credit markets were so much more conservative in the late-50s and early-60s that it was harder to lock in financing for companies like TWA that had decent fundamentals but iffy operating performance. TW was so short jet aircraft in the early 60s - and here is one of the reasons why!

zippyjet

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Those 1950's modern blue balls are still present but, alas no more Pan Am. I asked this way back and never got an answer. Some questions regarding the Fab 4's itinerary on their first USA visit.

1. There was a heavy snowstorm that made them take a train to Washington DC. If it weren't for the snow which airport would they have landed? Remember this being early 1964 DCA still did not allow pure jets to land or take off. So would it have been IAD or what was then BAL now BWI?

2. They flew a National Airlines Palomar Curtained DC-8 to MIA. Where did that flight originate?
3. I understand the Beatles flew back to New York from MIA on what I believe was another National DC-8. Correct me if I'm wrong but did the Beatles then immediately connect to a Pan Am 707 for the return to LHR flight?
4. Didn't Pan Am or British Airways have nonstop flights to the UK from MIA back in 1964?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Type-Rated

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:25 pm

I didn't see terminal 3 in the video? Did they use another terminal? Term 3 was in operation in 1964.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

SANMAN66

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 2):
Didn't Pan Am or British Airways have nonstop flights to the UK from MIA back in 1964?

I think it was BOAC that had flights from MIA
PSA Gives you a lift!

zippyjet

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:38 pm

Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 4):

I was too lazy to put BOAC. The pre-curser to BA. But, I thought Pan Am being one of MIA's big heavy hitters back in the day behind Eastern and National would have a lot of flights and to International locales including the UK.

LatinPlane
Topic Author

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 3):
I didn't see terminal 3 in the video? Did they use another terminal? Term 3 was in operation in 1964.

Terminal 3 wasn't used for the flight from London to New York. They instead disembarked the passengers at the International terminal adjacent to it, now terminal 4. The sheer number of people there would have overwhelmed the small facilities at terminal 3. However, on the way back they did fly out of Pan Am terminal 3 as seen on this picture. Notice that the Boeing 707 that flew them back to England was renamed to "Jet Clipper Beatles".

-

cageyjames

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 4):
I think it was BOAC that had flights from MIA

The Beatles sung a song about it....

Quote:
Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC

SANMAN66

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:55 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 5):
I was too lazy to put BOAC. The pre-curser to BA. But, I thought Pan Am being one of MIA's big heavy hitters back in the day behind Eastern and National would have a lot of flights and to International locales including the UK.

I had just remembered the Beatle's song "Back in the USSR" where the lyrics say, "Flew in from Miami Beach, BOAC / Didn't get to bed last night".
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANMAN66

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:57 pm

Quoting cageyjames (Reply 7):
The Beatles sung a song about it....

You beat me to it!
PSA Gives you a lift!

timz

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:47 am

BOAC and National started MIA-LHR nonstop in 1970-- never PA before that.

71Zulu

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:54 am

A sad tidbit about Clipper Defiance, after this 707 was retired they re-used the name on a 727 and sadly, this is the aircraft that crashed at MSY in 1982.

2. They flew a National Airlines Palomar Curtained DC-8 to MIA. Where did that flight originate?

I believe it was JFK. They had the concert in DC then took the train back to NYC as they had a Carnegie Hall show. The next day Thursday they flew to MIA..

3. I understand the Beatles flew back to New York from MIA on what I believe was another National DC-8. Correct me if I'm wrong but did the Beatles then immediately connect to a Pan Am 707 for the return to LHR flight?

I thought they flew back straight from MIA, maybe there was a stop somewhere not sure. They did depart on Monday Feb 17. There first Ed Sullivan show was a Feb 9 Sunday afternoon show that was laid down on tape. Then they played again live that Sunday night and that was the record 73,000,000 TV audience. The following Sunday night Feb 16 they played again live from the Deauville Hotel in MIA and the third Sunday night Feb 23, they aired the first Sunday afternoon NYC taped performance. Beatles ruled the world at the time.

Viscount724

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:03 am

Quoting LatinPlane (Reply 6):
Quoting type-rated (Reply 3):

Terminal 3 wasn't used for the flight from London to New York. They instead disembarked the passengers at the International terminal adjacent to it, now terminal 4. The sheer number of people there would have overwhelmed the small facilities at terminal 3.

I don't believe Terminal 3 had customs/immigration facilities then. I'm sure I recall reading that until T3 had customs services Pan Am international flights parked at the International Arrivals Building and were then towed to T3 after passengers had deplaned.

zippyjet

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:09 am

Quoting 71Zulu (Reply 11):
I thought they flew back straight from MIA, maybe there was a stop somewhere not sure. They did depart on Monday Feb 17. There first Ed Sullivan show was a Feb 9 Sunday afternoon show that was laid down on tape. Then they played again live that Sunday night and that was the record 73,000,000 TV audience. The following Sunday night Feb 16 they played again live from the Deauville Hotel in MIA and the third Sunday night Feb 23, they aired the first Sunday afternoon NYC taped performance. Beatles ruled the world at the time.

I thought the Fevb 23 concert was another one taped in Miami Beach at the Deauville.

71Zulu

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:13 am

I think it was live as Ed rotated his show between NYC and MIA. I stayed at the Deauville about 15 years ago, cool to see it pretty much like it was including the room where his show was held.

zippyjet

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:19 am

Quoting 71Zulu (Reply 14):

Check out some of the reviews of the Deauville at some are hilarius. Many say the place looks the same as when the Beatles did their concerts back in '64. I did a walk through at the Deauville when I was visiting Miami Beach last September and at least the lobby and lower lobby looked old like it would have back in the early 60's.

L1011Lover

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:47 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 12):
I don't believe Terminal 3 had customs/immigration facilities then. I'm sure I recall reading that until T3 had customs services Pan Am international flights parked at the International Arrivals Building and were then towed to T3 after passengers had deplaned.

That's correct. International flights arrived at the IAB adjacent to terminal 3. All Pan Am departures however left JFK from terminal 3.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember that terminal 3 did not have immigration and customs facilities until the 1970's extension of the terminal was finished (or very shortly before) and it was officially renamed Pan Am Worldport.

Best regards

L1011Lover

LatinPlane
Topic Author

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:26 am

Wow - the story of the Beatles flight from Pan Am insiders available here. What a treasure! I always wondered why it wasn't BOAC to fly the group to America.

http://www.aircargonews.com/0214/FT140207.html

Jet Clipper Beatles returning the group back to London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTJVlziTYmc

[Edited 2014-02-07 19:29:26]

tb727

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:45 am

I had a high school teacher in the late 1990's, whom has now passed, that was on that plane. The mob of screaming people didn't allow easy deplaning and he always said that's why he never got into the Beatles!
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

doulasc

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:50 am

In 1964 the only MIA-LHR service was on Cunard Eagle MIA-NAS-BDA-LHR with a Boeing 707

highflier92660

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:13 pm

It would be interesting to find out why Pan American chose this particular straight-pipe JT4A Boeing 707-300 series with the small tail and large ventral fin for this historic V.I.P. flight? Pan Am had taken delivery of many newer JT3D fan-powered 707-321Bs since June of 1962.

As has been noted, N704PA - Jet Clipper Defiance- was originally ordered by TWA but delivered to Pan Am on March 23, 1960. (Was the airline delivery change due to the chaotic finances of TWA's eccentric owner, Howard Hughes?) It was sad that she was scrapped only fourteen years later in LGB.

OzarkD9S

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Quoting LatinPlane (Reply 17):

I always wondered why it wasn't BOAC to fly the group to America.

Beatlemania was in full swing in the UK by then and IIRC there was a rumor that BOAC officials didn't want "that" kind of publicity and the mayhem involved with flying the B's across the pond. Lest we forget there was quite the farewell throng of fans at LHR to send them off.

As for TWA missing the Beatles' publicity bandwagon, they did score them later but TWA brought the Pope over for the first papal visit and it was the TWA aircraft he stood in front of for almost an hour delivering a speech.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

tharanga

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:38 pm

Quoting LatinPlane (Thread starter):
Pan Am’s marketing department pretty cleverly used the moment to market its brand

But they still couldn't keep the BEA Beatles bag out of the picture.

factsonly

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Quoting LatinPlane (Thread starter):
Pan Am’s marketing department pretty cleverly used the moment to market its brand in the limelight as seen when the group disembarks from the plane

Yes, but did you notice that........

............. George Harrison carries a British European Airways bag.

Pan Am's marketing department did not use Photoshop!

71Zulu

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:24 pm

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 20):
It would be interesting to find out why Pan American chose this particular straight-pipe JT4A Boeing 707-300 series with the small tail and large ventral fin for this historic V.I.P. flight? Pan Am had taken delivery of many newer JT3D fan-powered 707-321Bs since June of 1962.

Historic now but in Feb 64 the Beatles were still largely unknown outside of England to the adult world and it was just the regular scheduled flight anyway, not a charter, so whatever the normal rotation for the flight was that's what they got.

Quoting factsonly (Reply 23):
Yes, but did you notice that........

Not related to the bag, but George was the only Beatle who had previously visited the US prior to Feb 64 when he went to visit his sister who lived in Benton, Illinois.

factsonly

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:36 pm

I think there is another BEA bag behind John Lenon's PANAM bag.

Seems like BEA tried to pull a publicity stunt as well.

Viscount724

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:39 am

Quoting factsonly (Reply 25):

I think there is another BEA bag behind John Lenon's PANAM bag.

Seems like BEA tried to pull a publicity stunt as well.

The BEA bags were no doubt from this slightly earlier event, boarding a BEA Vickers Vanguard.

factsonly

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:40 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 26):
The BEA bags were no doubt from this slightly earlier event, boarding a BEA Vickers Vanguard.

AHHH.......never seen that picture before......funny!!

So even in the early '60's the airlines were definitely trying to hitch a publicity ride on celebrity's status.

OzarkD9S

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Quoting factsonly (Reply 27):

So even in the early '60's the airlines were definitely trying to hitch a publicity ride on celebrity's status.

Before that even. Howard Hughes was determined to make TWA the Hollywood Set's preferred carrier. Not only as a favor to his Hollywood pals, but knowing the press would often photograph the stars disembarking from a TWA plane.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

ltbewr

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:50 pm

This was one of the biggest events involving a non-USA celebrity at the time. There is no doubt that PanAm wanted to promote the airline and did the get a lot of attention for both the airline and The Beatles. This was at a time when PanAm was probably at it's height of it's business, they would soon have a new HQ building in NYC (200 Park Ave, now the Met Life building), they were THE almost official international airline of the USA.
Kind of a side story to this event. On the day of their appearance on Sunday's Ed Sullivan Show, my dad and me went to a custom car show in the then NY Coliseum (Columbus Circle - now the site of the Time Warner building). On the drive home, he drove down Broadway. As we got a few blocks down, there were huge crowds of screaming young women, police on horses, many police barriers. I never seen anything like that live in my life. As we passed by the Ed Sulilvan Theater where the marquee had on it the listing of The Beatles explaining what the craziness was all about.

They would make a 2nd visit in August 1965 where they played at Shea Stadium and other venues in the USA and Toronto, Canada. What airline(s) did the use for that visit ?

[Edited 2014-02-09 06:53:40]

71Zulu

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:08 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Steve Williams

During their 64 tour they used a chartered American Flyers Airline Electra while in the US. They played MSY on Sep 16 and upon approach into NEW they found out the helicopter to take them to the hotel (Congress Inn on Chef Hwy long since demolished) had broken down so they quickly rounded up some limos and told them to high tail it the airport. Only problem was they went to MSY instead of NEW so the plane diverted and landed at MSY with the crowd of fans, reporters and photographers waiting at NEW wondering what happened. They specifically picked this low profile hotel on the east side of town because they were able to land the helicopter there which would be used to transport them into City Park Stadium for the show.

http://youtu.be/x8o0ZA4494o

Here's a video of the Electra landing at Midway on September 4.

LatinPlane
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:56 am

Postcard and letter written one hour before the flight landed in New York.

http://beatlesautographs.com/images/SI2PamAmPostcard7Feb64b.JPG
-
http://beatlesautographs.com/images/SI2PamAmPostcard7Feb64d.JPG

http://beatlesautographs.com/SpecialItemsImages2.htm

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos