cessna53996
Topic Author

B6 Exec Dishes On Year 1 & Future At ORH

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:47 pm

(Below is text from a Worcester Telegram and Gazette article | link: http://www.telegram.com/article/2014...4/NEWS/312049542/0?app=noRedirect)

Joanna Geraghty, JetBlue Executive VP, at a Worcester Chamber of Commerce breakfast said "Worcester is a JetBlue kind of city, I think I have said before," Ms. Geraghty said in an interview after her remarks at the College of the Holy Cross, from which she graduated in 1994.

"We need to ramp up profitability. Year two is a really important year for Worcester. We'd like to see a bit more fare building, in terms of profitability."

Fare building, she agreed, means raising the price of tickets.

Another area of concern, she said, is the fog that regularly envelops Worcester Regional Airport.

Ms. Geraghty asked the city's government and business leaders to pressure the Federal Aviation Administration to speed up getting a Category III landing system at the airport.

"When there is fog at the airport, we have to have buses on standby, and when flights are diverted, we have to bus people to Boston," she said. "It is a really challenging situation for JetBlue."

The Massachusetts Port Authority, which owns Worcester Regional, has announced plans to install a $35 million Category III landing system at the airport. Category III systems provide guidance during the lowest visibility conditions.

MassPort officials in February said the system could be installed and ready for use in three to four years.

If B6 can turn a profit during year two then I'd say they are here long term. I can see them growing up to 5-7 flights. Those being 1-2x FLL (A320), 1-2x MCO (A320), 2x JFK (E190), 1x TPA (E190).

Any opinions and insight is appreciated, thanks!

chrisnh

RE: B6 Exec Dishes On Year 1 & Future At ORH

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:58 pm

They make it sound like B6 said, "Oh....they've got fog here...whaddaya know about that? Jeez...wish someone had told us."

laca773

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Quoting cessna53996 (Thread starter):
f B6 can turn a profit during year two then I'd say they are here long term. I can see them growing up to 5-7 flights. Those being 1-2x FLL (A320), 1-2x MCO (A320), 2x JFK (E190), 1x TPA (E190).

Wouldn't the E90s be a more ideal a/c for the Worcester market? Isn't the A320 a bit large for this market?

jfklganyc

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Doesn't sound very promising if you read it straight forward

1 Profitability is an issue

2 They have put Massport (who they did a favor for by serving orh ) on notice. Operationally the airport has an issue

I expect them to leave as soon as they can get away with it political

nkops

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:50 pm

is $35 million for a CAT III for 2-3 flights a day worth it? How often does B6 divert from ORH
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

JetBlueCLT

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:28 pm

I think JetBlue has bigger fish to fry than your hypothetical additions that B6 should add out of Worcester. I mean the block time eats up a lot of the E190s day of flying and if it's not profitable, it needs to be sent elsewhere.

I don't see much of a future at Worcester for JetBlue. Especially if BOS is to get up to 150 flights and there at 125 now. B6 is going to need every E190 they can get.
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

cessna53996
Topic Author

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Quoting JetBlueCLT (Reply 5):

I think JetBlue has bigger fish to fry than your hypothetical additions that B6 should add out of Worcester. I mean the block time eats up a lot of the E190s day of flying and if it's not profitable, it needs to be sent elsewhere.

I don't see much of a future at Worcester for JetBlue. Especially if BOS is to get up to 150 flights and there at 125 now. B6 is going to need every E190 they can get.

Could an operation similar to that of PWM and BTV be a better use of resources? Have 2-3x daily ORH-JFK flights? That would equate to a far smaller amount of block time...

JetBlueCLT

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:42 pm

Quoting cessna53996 (Reply 6):

To my understanding, B6 was trying to stay away from flying short hops. With the exception of the mid to upper sized cities in the NE. Hence the reason PIT, RIC ended. I might be off on that, just my observation over the years.

G4 seems like a better candidate but I think they already attempted that...

BTV, PWM, ROC, BUF, SYR-JFK are such an important route to feed a lot of the other JetBlue cities and of course O/D PAX to NYC.

[Edited 2014-12-26 14:48:00]
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

alphaomega

Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Quoting nkops (Reply 4):

is $35 million for a CAT III for 2-3 flights a day worth it? How often does B6 divert from ORH

Not sure, but I know they diverted to BOS on Christmas Eve and the pax were bussed to ORH - very efficient and the bus was ready outside Terminal C before the pax even made it to the baggage claim, so I would think this may be more frequent, or just dumb luck to get a bus on Xmas Eve at the drop of a hat...

adamh8297

Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:36 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 3):
I expect them to leave as soon as they can get away with it political

Sounds like that is the plan. There are plenty of $250 and under roundtrip flights available except for the school breaks.

They'll have to sugarcoat it with the addition of a BOS-Caribbean/Latin America route.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

tom11

Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:58 am

I would also argue that ORH competes with BDL, in addition to BOS and PVD.

If B6 can turn a profit during year two then I'd say they are here long term. I can see them growing up to 5-7 flights. Those being 1-2x FLL (A320), 1-2x MCO (A320), 2x JFK (E190), 1x TPA (E190).

Even if they do turn a profit, is Massport going to indefinitely waive the $350,000 in fees they waived? And waste $35 million on a CAT III ILS System to be used less than daily?

It doesn't make any sense, B6 at ORH. If it wasn't for Massport, they wouldn't be there. I can't see them expanding service much past what it is now.

ASA

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:48 am

Quoting tom11 (Reply 10):
It doesn't make any sense, B6 at ORH. If it wasn't for Massport, they wouldn't be there. I can't see them expanding service much past what it is now.

Honestly, it is not clear to me either, why Massport keeps beating this dead horse!

Could it be because BOS does not have a satisfactory diversion airport within state?

cloudboy

Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:51 am

I expect Massport to push heavily on B6 to remain at least a few years. First, they have to justify Cat II. More importantly, they need to pacify the population that sits outside of the 495 belt - most of those areas are pretty much anti- anything Boston, and watching all the funds get funneled into Logan particularly perturbs them. And Massport does not want to make things any easier for Providence, which they will be forced to do if they cant show some viability in Worcester - BOS is running out of room and people are not happy to see it grow much more.

I do think B6 is exaggerating a bit - they knew what they were getting into, and one can't complain about the load factors, just the prices. But if you concentrate only on leisure routes, you are only going to get budget travelers.

I also think they might be trying to stave off a little competition. Massport basically made B6 come to ORH, but I think some of the majors are now seeing B6 as a major threat, and could potentially see some benefit of offering a commuter flight to a hub, beating B6 by offering more connections. Unlike B6, they have the small aircraft to fly the route more efficiently.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

jetBlue

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:55 am

Does a CAT III ILS seriously cost $35 million???? Seems a bit of a stretch.

jetBlue
We know for you it's not just a seat on a flight to a place. It's a seat on a flight to your life.

ScottB

Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:22 am

"We need to ramp up profitability. Year two is a really important year for Worcester. We'd like to see a bit more fare building, in terms of profitability."

Which basically means ORH is losing money so far. Even if it becomes profitable or near break-even, the resources allocated to ORH (aircraft, employees) also need to perform better there than they would in some other location.

Quoting laca773 (Reply 2):
f B6 can turn a profit during year two then I'd say they are here long term. I can see them growing up to 5-7 flights. Those being 1-2x FLL (A320), 1-2x MCO (A320), 2x JFK (E190), 1x TPA (E190).

Wouldn't the E90s be a more ideal a/c for the Worcester market? Isn't the A320 a bit large for this market?

The E190 is a more appropriate size, but it also has higher unit costs and yields are going to be a big challenge with single-daily flights from ORH to Florida. The traffic is going to be virtually all leisure and passengers will compare fares with similar service from BOS/PVD/BDL/MHT.

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 9):
Sounds like that is the plan. There are plenty of $250 and under roundtrip flights available except for the school breaks.

There's no way B6 is making a profit on a $250 round-trip from ORH to Florida on E190's given that their system CASM is around 11.5 cents.

Quoting alphaomega (Reply 8):
Not sure, but I know they diverted to BOS on Christmas Eve and the pax were bussed to ORH - very efficient and the bus was ready outside Terminal C before the pax even made it to the baggage claim, so I would think this may be more frequent, or just dumb luck to get a bus on Xmas Eve at the drop of a hat.

They may have known before dispatching the flight that they were unlikely to make it into ORH that night; they may have had a few hours to arrange the bus. If busing to/from BOS becomes a regular occurrence then people are less likely to continue booking flights to/from ORH.

Quoting tom11 (Reply 10):
And waste $35 million on a CAT III ILS System to be used less than daily?

$35 million for a Cat III ILS is a huge waste of money given how little it would be used. That amount of money is probably equal to several years' worth of B6's passenger revenue at ORH.

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 12):
I expect Massport to push heavily on B6 to remain at least a few years. First, they have to justify Cat II. More importantly, they need to pacify the population that sits outside of the 495 belt - most of those areas are pretty much anti- anything Boston, and watching all the funds get funneled into Logan particularly perturbs them.

I think part of it is the fact that the former lieutenant governor was the mayor of Worcester and likely pushed for the return of air service to ORH. And there's obviously some political pressure for Massport to do more for the state outside of Boston.

adamh8297

Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:30 am

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 12):
I expect Massport to push heavily on B6 to remain at least a few years.

Wall Street will be pushing them heavy to get out.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

xdlx

Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:42 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 15):

Yes sir! WS is now in the driver seat at B6.... Unless you ignore the street a la WN. They will mke the decision just like with the bag charges......

jfklganyc

Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:58 pm

Quoting xdlx (Reply 16):
Yes sir! WS is now in the driver seat at B6.... Unless you ignore the street a la WN. They will mke the decision just like with the bag charges......

I wouldnt go that far. If Wall Street were in the drivers seat, they would have stopped all growth and moved to a ULCC model like Spirit.

As for ORH, someone above mentioned, this station would probably be best served long term 2-3 daily to JFK and nothing more. Does B6 want to use slots on ORH? Or are there extra slots sitting unused?

B6 cut most of its nonstop Upstate/BTV->Florida routes and makes everyone connect in JFK. ORH would fit that pattern.

enilria

Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:00 pm

This is essentially the same speech that WN gave to GRR and I got a ton of flack for posting it. "Airlines always say performance could be better, what do you expect?" was what I got. I will file both of these under foreboding warnings.

adamh8297

Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 17):
As for ORH, someone above mentioned, this station would probably be best served long term 2-3 daily to JFK and nothing more. Does B6 want to use slots on ORH? Or are there extra slots sitting unused?

Good point - most airlines typically start flights to their primary hub(s).

This is almost like Delta coming in and only starting ORH-SLC. The only difference there is massive O&D for the two Florida airports served.

Does B6 want to use slots on ORH? Or are there extra slots sitting unused?

That's the million dollar question though there is the 35 million dollar question for Cat II.

I'm not up on NYC airports and slot supply and demand. Aren't the ones most in demand are transatlantic timed slots (4-10pm)?

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:10 pm

As has been said before, be happy with what you have, because it's all you're gonna get unfortunately.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

ScottB

Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Just serving ORH with 2-3 daily flights to JFK won't work because that ends up being less convenient (and less reliable) than taking non-stops out of BOS. And the O&D is practically zero so B6 would be reliant on low-yielding connections.

dvincent

Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:55 pm

The fog has always been the knock against Worcester. It's a chicken and the egg type thing, and even then there's no guarantees that airlines will swarm in with a new system. Even Hanscom doesn't have a Cat-III ILS (though,to be fair, it does not suffer crippling fog as often as Worcester).

The Cat III ILS itself doesn't cost $35 mil, but that's not the only scope of the project. Taxiway improvements must be made, and there are environmental and infrastructure changes that must be made to accommodate it.

Things like the environmental impact statement for the project are all public record. http://www.massport.com/media/234582...ORH_ENF_FINAL_20140114_reduced.pdf

As far as I know, BOS is the only airport in Massachusetts with a full category III ILS. I don't even think BED has a Cat III, but I could be wrong on that. But the fog that strikes ORH is unique to the airfield. While BOS and BED may suffer inclement weather, they do not have the routine low-visibility fog that afflicts ORH.

[Edited 2014-12-27 16:28:41]
From the Mind of Minolta

N766UA

Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:25 am

Quoting jetBlue (Reply 13):

Does a CAT III ILS seriously cost $35 million???? Seems a bit of a stretch.

Seems kinda cheap to me, considering what and who is involved.

lat41

Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:58 am

At times, ORH flights have been diverted to Providence which has a bit more stable weather than ORH or BOS for that matter. There, they have CAT III but still wait for more than just the 2 A320s to MCO and one to FLL that they started with. A couple JFKs there, like ORH would hook up the more Southern part of New England to the Westbound JetBlue system, but so far like from other closer cities, B6 is not interested. If PVD is stalled, I wouldn't hold my breath at ORH.

deltairlines

Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:54 am

To make a JFK slot worth it, there would need to be significant local traffic on the route. Given that last night I drove from Worcester to midtown Manhattan in 2h50, flying makes absolutely no sense in this market, when it would take you at least the same amount of time and likely even more. PVD is in a similar boat for B6.

cloudboy

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:40 pm

B6 is not the best airline for Worcester. While everyone points to the leisure demographics of the area, the real interest in direct flights lies in the numerous colleges in the city, as well as its proximity to the metrowest (Westboro/Marlborough/Hopkington) region. Not huge numbers, but a fair number of mid-tier fliers. Fog is a big issue - almost everyone who has flown through ORH either in the old days or now more than once has a story. But the other huge problem, which unfortunately the city and residents refuse to fix, is access to the airport itself. If there was a simple, direct connection from the highway to the airport, you would see a huge increase in passengers.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

dvincent

Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:59 am

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 26):
B6 is not the best airline for Worcester. While everyone points to the leisure demographics of the area, the real interest in direct flights lies in the numerous colleges in the city, as well as its proximity to the metrowest (Westboro/Marlborough/Hopkington) region. Not huge numbers, but a fair number of mid-tier fliers. Fog is a big issue - almost everyone who has flown through ORH either in the old days or now more than once has a story. But the other huge problem, which unfortunately the city and residents refuse to fix, is access to the airport itself. If there was a simple, direct connection from the highway to the airport, you would see a huge increase in passengers.

It'll be easier to build the Cat III ILS than it will be to build a connector road (Freeway or otherwise) to ORH.
From the Mind of Minolta

catiii

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:29 pm

B6 is not the best airline for Worcester.

So what is the "best airline" for Worcester then?

RL757PVD

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:06 pm

The CAT-III issue is a joke in my opinion. To actually fly it you need both the pilot and the aircraft to be certified. I cant imagine B6 has that many seasoned pilots on the E190. The loads and fares do not support A320s.

B6 has what they need at BOS now and I dont think Massport would do anything to spite B6 should they leave ORH...
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

flyby519

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 29):

Every B6 E190 and E190 pilot are certified for Cat III operations.

N757ST

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:08 pm

Every pilot and aircraft at B6 is cat 3 certified and trained.

airbazar

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Quoting dvincent (Reply 27):

It'll be easier to build the Cat III ILS than it will be to build a connector road (Freeway or otherwise) to ORH.

And that my friend is why demand is low at ORH. It's a PITA to get to and on top of it there's a chance you might get bused to BOS. Why even bother to book a flight to/from ORH? If politicians were really interested in developing ORH they would have solved that a long time ago. Until those 2 problems are solved ORH will be nothing but a bullet point in political promises. Contrast that with MHT and PVD: One just finished building a bridge over the Merrimack river to allow direct access from the highway and the other has built a train station on the premisses to allow for train service from CT all the way up to Boston.

RL757PVD

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 30):
Every B6 E190 and E190 pilot are certified for Cat III operations.
Quoting N757ST (Reply 31):
Every pilot and aircraft at B6 is cat 3 certified and trained.

I stand corrected, however, ORH's current minimums are already 200 ft and 1/2 mile

How many times per year is weather at ORH at a ceiling between 100ft and 200ft and RVR less than 2400 but greater than 700 ft? (Difference between the existing CAT 1 and Mins of a CAT-IIIa).

If the problem is not really the CAT-III but rather just the market itself, both parties will emerge with egg on their face if Massport spends the $35 Million in upgrades and B6 leaves. There probably needs to be a closed doors honest discussion.

Av8tor

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 29):
The CAT-III issue is a joke in my opinion. To actually fly it you need both the pilot and the aircraft to be certified. I cant imagine B6 has that many seasoned pilots on the E190.

Without a doubt one of the dumbest statements I've ever read on this board. Not only do we fly Cat-III approaches on the E190, we do it by hand.... ie. no autoland. Wow, who would think we'd be so "seasoned" at JetBlue?

RL757PVD

Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Quoting Av8tor (Reply 34):

Without a doubt one of the dumbest statements I've ever read on this board. Not only do we fly Cat-III approaches on the E190, we do it by hand.... ie. no autoland. Wow, who would think we'd be so "seasoned" at JetBlue?

My deepest deepest most absolute sincerest apologies for not knowing the intricacies of B6's E190 training program, I shall be ever so thoughtful and vigilant as to never distance the E190 program from a traditional mainline program ever again so long as I shall live.

cloudboy

Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 33):
How many times per year is weather at ORH at a ceiling between 100ft and 200ft and RVR less than 2400 but greater than 700 ft? (Difference between the existing CAT 1 and Mins of a CAT-IIIa).

I dont have stats, but I would say probably quite a bit. ORH is in a bad spot - basically on top of a hill. That is why fog is such an issue - low clouds tend to overwhelm the airport. Of course, I have also been told that ORH is actually controlled by Bradley, who because of the terrain can't actually "see" the ground.

Quoting catiii (Reply 28):

So what is the "best airline" for Worcester then?

An airline like DL, flying CRJ-700 to JFK and either ATL or DTW with connections.

adamh8297

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:00 pm

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 36):

An airline like DL, flying CRJ-700 to JFK and either ATL or DTW with connections.

Or US with a PHL/CLT mix.

RL757PVD

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:15 pm

I dont have stats, but I would say probably quite a bit. ORH is in a bad spot

Well yea they are in a bad spot, but for most airports, the difference between a CAT-I and a CAT-III ILS is between 0.10% and 0.25% of all annual IFR conditions (which is only 20-30% or less of the time to begin with).

Essentially the time difference that conditions are BETWEEN (meaning the useable improvement) that of a CAT-I and CAT III ILS equates to maybe 20-30 hours per year

catiii

Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:57 pm

Obviously those airlines don't feel the same way, as only JetBlue has jumped in to serve ORH's customers. Until they choose to come in and compete, JetBlue is the best airline for ORH.

atct

Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:53 pm

I have also been told that ORH is actually controlled by Bradley, who because of the terrain can't actually "see" the ground.

Bradley, or "Yankee" might run the approach but thats radar. ORH has their own federal contract tower.
Trikes are for kids!

Polot

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 37):

No, not those. Lets be honest, ORH should be trying to court ULCCs like Spirit/Frontier/Allegiant(again) for flights to vacation destinations, even if the flights are seasonal and not daily.

The legacies are not going to have that much interest when they have service to many of ORH's competitors in the region.

ScottB

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 41):
Lets be honest, ORH should be trying to court ULCCs like Spirit/Frontier/Allegiant(again) for flights to vacation destinations, even if the flights are seasonal and not daily.

Perhaps, if ORH weren't being operated by Massport which also operates BOS. A carrier like NK/G4/F9 serving vacation destinations from ORH would mostly take traffic from BOS and the primary tenant there, B6, as B6 dominates those vacation markets from BOS. And with the network carriers having consolidated, there's really no shortage of facilities these days at Logan except at the international terminal -- and ORH can't handle that traffic.

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 37):

Perhaps, but there's really no reason for any of the network carriers to serve ORH with high-cost equipment like RJ's when it's unlikely they could get any sort of premium for that service over their existing flights at BOS/PVD/BDL/MHT.

But the other huge problem, which unfortunately the city and residents refuse to fix, is access to the airport itself. If there was a simple, direct connection from the highway to the airport, you would see a huge increase in passengers.

I think that might have prevented ORH losing all of its service in past years, but I don't really see it bringing a huge increase now that there is substantial low-cost competition at every airport surrounding ORH.

cloudboy

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:56 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 41):
No, not those. Lets be honest, ORH should be trying to court ULCCs like Spirit/Frontier/Allegiant(again) for flights to vacation destinations, even if the flights are seasonal and not daily.

The legacies are not going to have that much interest when they have service to many of ORH's competitors in the region.

That's the problem. The interest in ORH has always been towards the Low cost leisure market. That is too price sensitive a market, who doesn't have a huge issue driving a bit farther to PVD, BDL, or ORH if the price is cheaper. ORH doesn't have any real cost advantage. Sure there are lots of passengers, but to keep them you have to keep the priced too low. Thus B6 is filling planes but not making money, and all the other low cost trials have failed.

What is needed, and yes this does require one of the major airlines to think a little for a change, is for a small jet with a few first class seats to a hub airport, that will attract the frequent flyers who live in central mass and work either in Boston or Metro West an alternative when they dont want to drive too far or spend huge amounts of time getting to and from the airport. Sure a connection will add an additional two hours to the flight time. But if you live in Worcester and are flying at rush hour, that two hours will be saved in the time you would need to get to the airport.

lat41

Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:52 pm

The last carrier to serve ORH before B6 was Direct Air with service to Punta Gorda, but before that, NW has a fair stretch of time with DTW service and US (in the pre-USAirways) form along with American Eagle hung in there at ORH for quite awhile. Someone local may know the circumstances of their comings and goings. Of course, way back ORH was a Northeast NE city.

cloudboy

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:08 pm

And before Direct Air was Allegiant, and I think that Pan AM v.2 was there for a while. I know carnival tried to do a few charters, and I think there were sever charters for a while.

At one point back in the 90s ORH had quite a lot of service and connections. That is what motivated the new terminal - at the time it was planned, there were quite a few airlines there. Problem is that airlines consolidated, and pulled back from small markets. ORH was served mostly by Turboprops, and when those went away the consolidated airlines decided to focus on driving more people to one airport - i.e. Boston, to allow better load factors there. But even in those days flights were often diverted or cancelled, which is why so many people started to hate flying through ORH, because it inevitably meant that you would only be taking a bus or taxi between BOS or PVD and ORH on at least part of your trip.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos