EI121

RE: Irish 7/15: Ag Eitilt Sa Todhchai

Wed May 06, 2015 3:41 pm

Just 2 quick questions;

Regarding EI-EWR returning to service in the next week or so. Do you think/know if it will feature a updated Y seat and AVOD? Or will it be a carbon copy of the seat currently. I would think it would be a waste of money putting in old AVOD where they could install a newer version. Something similar to what the installed in the 757 I think would do well.

Also if someone could answer this for me: Was the EI MCO route a all Y service at one point? If so why was this the case? And where did the aircraft also fly to in the USA in this layout as I know MCO has only been 3 weekly for many years.

Cheers - EI121   

EIDL

Wed May 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Quoting EI121 (Reply 156):
Was the EI MCO route a all Y service at one point? If so why was this the case? And where did the aircraft also fly to in the USA in this layout as I know MCO has only been 3 weekly for many years.

It was sold similarly to the Malaga/Rome/Nice 330 services; Y and Y-service-in-J-seats prior to them offering proper J service.

Eirules

Wed May 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Re MCO was it not first launched similar to AGP where you booked in economy but then could buy an upgraded seat in the business cabin for something like €100 each way?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

shamrock604

Wed May 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 145):

In short - Yes. They do now need to begin construction of a new pier development. The DAA are starting to panic now, as apparently they now have more overnighters than stands come June. There's also 40 extra movements per day from then...

Pier D probably needs extended at this point also. Pier A rebuild would probably have to wait until new capacity is delivered. There was also mention of a linear extension to Pier B.

neutral

Wed May 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Was there not a short haul pier planned for T2 which would free up the existing T2 pier I know its at least 2 years away from completion even if they started planning now.Why do we always wait until we're close to capacity Ryanair's pier is packed at certain times during the day as well!!!!!!

Eirules

Wed May 06, 2015 4:36 pm

Is part of the issue due to timing and poor planning from the DAA? I understand all airlines want their pick of the prime slots, into Europe early in the morning, East Coast USA around 9-12 etc. But there are times the airport is like a graveyard too. Should the airport not be trying to incentivise airlines into these times?

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2015 4:40 pm

There was a plan for a Pier F, which may well have been intended as a short haul pier; it was actually intended to be built through the current cargo terminal.

I think the problem is the location of T2, which was basically shoe-horned into the space it's in now, with no consideration for expansion (and as we know it's location also causes congestion around the access to the 28 threshold).

I think that when the previous govt was looking into the new terminal, the DAA had to come up with a plan quickly, because the two brothers (Mac-something or other - can't remember?) were planning a midfield terminal and the DAA needed a plan quickly to squash that possibility, hence Terminal 2 where it is now.)

EIDL

Wed May 06, 2015 5:38 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 162):
because the two brothers (Mac-something or other - can't remember?) were planning a midfield terminal

Des and Ulick McEvaddy, own Omega the air-to-air refuelling firm and had some serious involvement in 707 upgrades in the 80s. The plan didn't really have legs (I nearly said wings, but I stopped myself...) though - a second terminal accessed through a completely different entrance and really only sharing the runways and remote stands isn't a runner.

BrianDromey

Wed May 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 149):

Oh you poor thing. Spare a thought for housemaid us who have to work through the night. How do you think we feel in the morning? We get in our cats, go home, go to bed and do it all again the next night. Overnights aren't brilliant, but they serve a purpose and do allow a days work/exploration if people feel up to it.

Quoting EIRules (Reply 161):

Is part of the issue due to timing and poor planning from the DAA? I understand all airlines want their pick of the prime slots, into Europe early in the morning, East Coast USA around 9-12 etc. But there are times the airport is like a graveyard too. Should the airport not be trying to incentivise airlines into these times?

I don't think so. It's only 18 months ago T2 was derided as a white elephant and a ghost town. No one could have predicted the growth at DUB over the past 18 months, more so from long haul wodebody aircraft & full service airlines rather than FR 738s.

A60Stock

Wed May 06, 2015 5:58 pm

In all honesty, the DAA's remote stands are going to make for a poor contingency plan - there's not enough of them and it doesn't make a good statement of the quality of DUB. The real problem is that the soonest we could expect a new pier at T2 is about 5 years to my mind. A new freight terminal would need to be built (God knows where) before they could tear down the existing one to make way for Pier F - the DAA won't simply turn away that freight traffic for a couple years, there's too much money to be lost in doing that.

What does everyone think will happen in the meantime? Those remote stands will be little relief to an oversubscribed DUB.
Types flown: A319, A320, B734, B738, B744, B77W and E195.
Airports flown to/from: DUB, JFK, LGW, LHR, LIS, LTN, PDL, SEN and STN.
Airlines flown with: AA, BA, BD, BE, EI, and FR.
Next flights: W9 LTN - SVG - LTN
Home Airport: LHR

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2015 6:07 pm

I think there is an area set aside on the far side of 16/34 for a freight terminal. Have to say, I don't have much confidence in the DAA's intentions for freight. When, a few years back, then were investing about IR£1b (as it was then) in airport development, not a cent was committed to freight.

I would like to see another operator develop a freight facility if the DAA were not willing to do this. An exporting economy should have a strong air freight sector and the DAA never seems to market it - certainly as much as passenger service.

OA260

Wed May 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 158):

Quite a few miss that deal. Alot of regulars enjoyed J seats for a Prem Y style fare. At the time I believe EI thought the route didnt warrant the full J product but obviously that changed and it was brought in line with all other US routes.

Cipango

Wed May 06, 2015 8:16 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 164):
I don't think so. It's only 18 months ago T2 was derided as a white elephant and a ghost town.

I remember the countless arguments on the radio about Terminal 2. Back then the argument was that it would look great for Ireland as it would be the first impression for tourists and transit passengers alike. DAA management have done well taking the focus away from aesthetics and into a necessary gateway for Dublin and for Ireland.

Here is the master plan for DUB:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll186/Cipango91/Screen%20Shot%202015-05-06%20at%2021.10.32_zpsspoln6l4.png

Source: http://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileuploa...e/2009-03-02_daa_cip_2010-2014.pdf

(Page 29)
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Eagleboy

Wed May 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Quoting Frostyj (Reply 153):
if I don't get a dayflight its basically like paying for Business and getting downgraded to Economy.

While I appreciate your disappointment these things happen. I personally would not compare it to being downgraded from J to Y.

Do you think/know if it will feature a updated Y seat and AVOD? Or will it be a carbon copy of the seat currently.

It will apparently have a newer version of the Panasonic EX2 IFE.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 164):
It's only 18 months ago T2 was derided as a white elephant and a ghost town.

Well in fairness it was MoL who created that myth.

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 148):
So do the rest of us.... I don't think we could cope with the drama of it all.
The anticipation starts now...

Fingers crossed!

JAmie2k9

Thu May 07, 2015 12:02 am

No capital Development will happen anytime soon, the daa can't afford it and the regulator are not interested, nor are airlines. Such capacity problems are repeated across Europe. EI have no argument as ET LAX departure will not impact on any of their flights whatsoever. Do we see other carriers complaining about being dumped down to D this summer to accommodate EI at B....

There is no issues with towing an aircraft to stand once it departs. The majority of EI's departures from B already are towed on stand as it is.

Worth noting the daa have a 600 million debit to pay off and to put it into real context last year they only paid down 14 million. I do think F will be the next big thing though.

Eagleboy

Thu May 07, 2015 12:34 am

Quoting EIRules (Reply 152):
Your aggression. Your insistence on ramming your opinion down other people's throats. Your inability or unwillingness to see other people's opinions. Your constant crying wolf of bulling & "I'm calling the moderators".

The same behaviours resulted in a ban from another Irish aviation forum.

But that's off topic, so apologies.

AmricanShamrok

Thu May 07, 2015 8:53 am

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 164):
Do we see other carriers complaining about being dumped down to D this summer to accommodate EI at B

What airlines are moving to D? That pier was built to accommodate airbridges should the need arise. I wonder would it be worth installing a few for the "full service airlines" that have to use it.

BrianDromey

Thu May 07, 2015 9:01 am

Quoting Cipango (Reply 162):

Source: http://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileuploa...e/2009-03-02_daa_cip_2010-2014.pdf

(Page 29)

It's a shame that Pier F is probably the most viable of those, it won't actually help EI very much, if they are intent on developing the hub. It couldn't be further from T2!

Clydenairways

Thu May 07, 2015 9:55 am

It seems like quite a lot of that development will require the parallel runway to be in place and also the crosswind runway to be dug up before it can happen. It's seems like pier F is the only thing that could happen before it.
Moving Cargo to where the control tower is would also need to upgrade the road access in the area to the motorway for all the trucks.

JAmie2k9

Thu May 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 166):

Germanwings - directly related to IAD service starting
Blue Air - have decided to move their 00.30 flights to 10.00 so no room at B anymore
Luxair - operated at A/B but have moved to D

They join Ryanair, SAS, Norwegian and Europe Airport (first departure) as well as other charters. When Thomson base at end of the month they usually have B gates but ET could require a change.

I do not really think air bridges are necessary, the set up there is very good compared to many airports and it would not be justified since Ryanair use all gates most of them day.

Another operator at B is BA which have to use A for the first departures because of EI and when the second daily IB Express flight starts they could be pushed to A or D to.

KIRFlyer

Thu May 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 167):

(Page 29)

It's a shame that Pier F is probably the most viable of those, it won't actually help EI very much, if they are intent on developing the hub. It couldn't be further from T2!

Is it? There are some gates on Pier F, which are closer to T2, than some gates at the far end of Pier E.

shamrock604

Thu May 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 169):

Pier A (200 gates) badly needs redeveloped - there is in fact quite a bit of space there for a decent linear pier. Bits of it are 1940's vintage, ffs, it's sorely needed. There's be no issue with airlines being 'forced' to use it if it were up to a reasonable standard.

JAmie2k9

Thu May 07, 2015 5:13 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 171):

Indeed

In other news Aer Lingus unions reiterate opposition to sale in a statement to all TD/Senators

OA260

Thu May 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Pier A (200 gates) badly needs redeveloped -

Flying out of there the other week I thought it didnt look too bad but could be redeveloped to make better use of the space.

Flew back into DUB this afternoon. Noticed work on the apron and also the new extension to the car park underway.

321neoLR

Thu May 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 172):

Indeed

In other news Aer Lingus unions reiterate opposition to sale in a statement to all TD/Senators

I was speaking to a friend who works in Aer Lingus, he says most of the frontline staff are hoping for the bid to succeed. They see growth with IAG, otherwise the status quo if they go alone.

There seemingly has been questions from pilots asking the unions to explain to the staff why they are completely against the bid. There has been no consultation.

Word of warning, this is second hand information.

Interesting if it is true......seems that the usual Irish Union mentality is stuck in the 70s.

Eagleboy

Thu May 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Quoting 321neoLR (Reply 174):
I was speaking to a friend who works in Aer Lingus, he says most of the frontline staff are hoping for the bid to succeed. They see growth with IAG, otherwise the status quo if they go alone.

There seemingly has been questions from pilots asking the unions to explain to the staff why they are completely against the bid. There has been no consultation.

Word of warning, this is second hand information.

I might back that up with some first hand info. While not a overwhelming majority of frontline staff are in favour, the majority see a future with IAG......since Mueller departed the old style stubborn EI mgmt has resurfaced. So frontline staff have no confidence in their mgmt.

BrianDromey

Fri May 08, 2015 8:38 am

Quoting KIRFlyer (Reply 170):

Is it? There are some gates on Pier F, which are closer to T2, than some gates at the far end of Pier E.

To my eye it did. I don't know what the actual distance would be. I'd venture that T2 Check-In & security -> what used to be called "the street" through "the loop" over the footbridge connote to D and then swing right to the "F" gates would be a fair old treck and operationally very distant from T2 for EI. Of course, it might be a useful pier for non-EI, non-FR airlines.
If DUB are so short of stars send the traffic to ORK, there are plenty of empty stands down here.  
Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 175):
I might back that up with some first hand info. While not a overwhelming majority of frontline staff are in favour, the majority see a future with IAG......since Mueller departed the old style stubborn EI mgmt has resurfaced. So frontline staff have no confidence in their mgmt.

I echo your comments, I think IAG is the smart option for EI. I think they could go it alone, but only with really innovative, world class management and ideas. Sadly in the past few months that has slipped away. EI was starting to gain a positive reputation, particularly the Business Class product. Long term projects like new Business Class, arrivals lounge, etc are coming good, but the current management team are just riding a wave there. Recent fumbles like the catering fiasco just show that there is still a lot of dead wood in Hangar 6. Is this really how EI want to fight against a resurgent FR?
I have to say I have been flying FR a lot more in the past year. I like the assigned seats, I like the FR app (although I preferred the previous version with myRyanair) and I like the on-time record on jet aircraft, rather than slightly less reliable ATRs. More than that I like the fares on LPL-ORK are consistently a quarter to a half of the EIR fares. Even as a Gold Circle member I can't justify that difference. Not that I would get any points or recognition anyway, better off to use my priority pass for lounge access.

AmricanShamrok

Fri May 08, 2015 8:57 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 176):
I'd venture that T2 Check-In & security -> what used to be called "the street" through "the loop" over the footbridge connote to D and then swing right to the "F" gates would be a fair old treck and operationally very distant from T2 for EI

That's Pier G. Pier F is located to the right of Pier E in the diagram.

OA260

Fri May 08, 2015 10:00 am

I see PP have added another lounge at SNN.The Burren Suite. Was this a VIP suite opened up for general use? Very old school interior.

---

Aer Lingus will boost capacity on its services from this month after suffering a 41,000 fall in passenger numbers in April. The airline has released figures showing that the number of people who flew with it in April fell by 41,000, or 4.5 per cent, to 823,000, from 862,000 during the same month in 2014.

The fall occurred in its short-haul business where numbers dropped to 710,000 from 751,000. Its transatlantic services enjoyed a slight increase, to 113,000 from 111,000.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/t...s-passenger-numbers-fall-1.2204106

BrianDromey

Fri May 08, 2015 10:17 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 177):
That's Pier G. Pier F is located to the right of Pier E in the diagram.

Sorry, yes of course. I would say that redeveloping B is the best mid-term option for DUB, but the disruption would be horrendous. Realistically, from an operational point of view, I think they would have to do F or G first, then B. This assumes that F can be delivered? Is that not on the site of the FR hangar? Reading that daa plan DUB is, in passenger numbers, roughly today where they expected it to be before the economic crash. It seems that, from the outset, T2 was inadequate and the wrong platform for future growth. EI have publicly stated that they want to add a new wide body aircraft annually, IAG might double that. Assuming that it will take a decade to deliver a new pier, where are 10-20 additional EI widebodies going to fit, in addition to the ET, EK, EY and possible QR aircraft and the short-haul growth needed to feed all this? The only way I can see this working in the mornings is with a number of EI A320s nightstopping in Europe, ATR and A32x first wave departures from A and bussing where required. B and E are going to be full with wide bodies. At leaset the remnants of Peir C might see some use as bus gates!

When you think about it the EI comment about ET taking space is actually a valid point, DUB is going to be bursting at the seams at peak times on the ramps. This will mean delays for everyone, FR included and they won't like that.

OA260

Fri May 08, 2015 10:19 am

AA back to SNN today. Hopefully they will have a good season.

AmricanShamrok

Fri May 08, 2015 10:53 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 178):
I see PP have added another lounge at SNN.The Burren Suite.

The Burren Suite has been open to passengers for a few years now. The flagship Rineanna Lounge has recently been restricted to US-bound passengers and is now only accessible after CBP preclearance so the Burren Suite caters to passengers travelling to all other destinations.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 180):
AA back to SNN today. Hopefully they will have a good season.

AA seems to be doing well at SNN. This year they are extending their operating season by a few weeks, as is DL.

Here's the 757 in new AA colours at SNN this morning:
http://i58.tinypic.com/241s6dw.jpg

BestWestern

Fri May 08, 2015 11:03 am

The AA livery is stunning on The 757. It's really grown on me.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Eirules

Fri May 08, 2015 11:29 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 182):

Yeah I agree. While the old livery was classic, this one has certainly grown on me over time too. But I think on some of the smaller shorter aircraft like the A319 it looks a little squashed

AmricanShamrok

Fri May 08, 2015 11:37 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 182):
Quoting EIRules (Reply 183):

It's not the worst. The old livery was much better though - the paint-less shine was very unique and stood out a lot more.

EIBoston

Fri May 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Still no sign of EI-EWR back to DUB. G-POWD on EI139 today. Really poor co-ordination effort on EI's behalf in relation to having their l/h fleet ready for the Summer season.

BrianDromey

Fri May 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Quoting EIBoston (Reply 185):
Still no sign of EI-EWR back to DUB. G-POWD on EI139 today. Really poor co-ordination effort on EI's behalf in relation to having their l/h fleet ready for the Summer season.

That is a bit harsh, EI put as much in place as possible to have the fleet ready, but delays in the refit of the Business Class cabin cause hold-ups. This is not uncommon, QR rejected delivery of A380s because the carpets were not right, AA are having to delay devilry of their 787s and refitting their 777s because of seat shortages. Timescales are tight, but EI will have had an idea how long things were proposed to take and the contractor will have agreed to the timescale also. What is an airline with a long-haul fleet of 8 to do, have an A330 lying idle just in case?

EIBoston

Fri May 08, 2015 2:49 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 186):
That is a bit harsh, EI put as much in place as possible to have the fleet ready, but delays in the refit of the Business Class cabin cause hold-ups. This is not uncommon, QR rejected delivery of A380s because the carpets were not right, AA are having to delay devilry of their 787s and refitting their 777s because of seat shortages. Timescales are tight, but EI will have had an idea how long things were proposed to take and the contractor will have agreed to the timescale also. What is an airline with a long-haul fleet of 8 to do, have an A330 lying idle just in case?

I see you point and of course they would never have the latitude to keep a 330 lying around in summer season. However having that said, EI-EWR was not operating over the Winter and this particular aircraft should have been ready in time. There is no excuse at all for that.

iRISH251

Fri May 08, 2015 3:24 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 186):
AA are having to delay devilry of their 787s

That's a new one to me!  

Eagleboy

Fri May 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 176):
I think IAG is the smart option for EI. I think they could go it alone, but only with really innovative, world class management and ideas. Sadly in the past few months that has slipped away.

Yup,looks grim. To add to that the head of marketing (who Mike Rutter tried to fire last year) has left EI after a lifetime there.
He is the guy had pushed through the relaunch of Business class, the new menu, the new J CLass seats, the new lounges in JFK/BOS/DUB/LHR. He leaves behind a great achievement but it remains to be seen what the grey suits can actually do with it.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 179):
The only way I can see this working in the mornings is with a number of EI A320s nightstopping in Europe,

WHich was in fact a plan that Christoph Mueller wanted to implement. As part of Greenfield Plan their had been an agreement on flight/cabin costs while night-stopping. Mueller originally wanted EI to be the earliest arrival into DUB from every EU city it operated out of.

Quoting EIBoston (Reply 185):

Again I would say they were optimistic rather than badly heandled. They obviously believed the timetable given by the contractor (schoolboy error!!)...lets hope we se some mention of compensation in their H1 results.

Quoting EIBoston (Reply 187):
However having that said, EI-EWR was not operating over the Winter and this particular aircraft should have been ready in time. There is no excuse at all for that.

Well it was on lease elsewhere and EI had to wait till it ended its lease. Then once they had it they had to wait until the contractors could take delivery of it.

JAmie2k9

Fri May 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 179):
When you think about it the EI comment about ET taking space is actually a valid point, DUB is going to be bursting at the seams at peak times on the ramps. This will mean delays for everyone, FR included and they won't like that.

Come on, BA LCY aircraft took up the same valuable ramp space yet that wasn't a problem, EI must feel it select carriers who take up they space......

EIBoston

Sat May 09, 2015 1:46 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 189):
Quoting EIBoston (Reply 187):
However having that said, EI-EWR was not operating over the Winter and this particular aircraft should have been ready in time. There is no excuse at all for that.

Well it was on lease elsewhere and EI had to wait till it ended its lease. Then once they had it they had to wait until the contractors could take delivery of it.

Are you sure about that? I think it was in storage from sometime in Dec 14.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat May 09, 2015 9:50 am

As we're moving toward the 200 mark, I've set up a new thread:

Irish 8/15: Wings Over Ireland (by kaitak May 9 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Welcome on board!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos