pwm2txlhopper

RE: Best, Least-used Runways?

Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:31 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 99):

Former SAC bases, such as BGR and PSM usually had 300 foot wide runways to accommodate B-52 operations. Notice the little landing gear like things on the tip of the wings that almost touch the ground when taxiing at slow speeds.

You might also add former Plattsburgh AFB in New York to the list of former SAC bases with huge runways that are still open as airports, but see little use.

BMI727

Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 76):
Much of BLV's infrastructure is shared with Scott AFB - the runways were there before the BLV side was built.

Not really. The problem with BLV is that they basically built a second airport with a taxiway connecting it to Scott. They share a control tower but that's about it, they two parts are so far away I think there's even a second fire station.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Dldiamondboy

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 pm

Quoting BN727227Ultra (Reply 93):
I was born in tha STL, and my Dad worked at McDonnell, and I never heard that as the raisin d'etter for 6/24. You learn something new every day!

I never saw any F-4s on that runway. I do remember them lining up in 2x2 on 12R for takeoff, smelled so good...but the F-100s at the Missouri ANG were louder when using reheat...

I grew up in St.Ann and my Dad also worked on the Phantom. W1W (11/29 now) as it was called early on was completed long after the 5000th Phantom had rolled out of building 2. People used to complain about the ANG fighters and McDonnell Douglas test flights using afterburners so I think Griggs used that as a sales tool. 727's using 6/24 could get loud also. When I fly into STL now I know DL uses 11/29.

Max752

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:16 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 101):
Much of BLV's infrastructure is shared with Scott AFB - the runways were there before the BLV side was built.

Nope, that's entirely true. BLV's pax terminal lead to the construction of the second parallel runway which saved BLV from gov't cutbacks during the recession. BLV was one of the few bases in the region that had two whopping runways that could accommodate all sorts of aircraft.

The tower, runways, and some ground machinery is shared between the pax terminal and the military base.

As for rwy 6/24, the unnecessary runway at STL. "Regular use" as previously mentioned is a bit strong as the runway can go unused for a day or two at a time when traffic is slow and winds work in the favor or aircraft. It's a beauty or a runway and is in great shape. It's too bad our gov't officials in STL are more worried about their precious sports team. STL's airport could easily attract an ULCC like NK, G4, or F9 is incentives were offered. The infrastructures already there, why not get a carrier like NK to use it!

Shame that most of STL sits and collects dust.

-Max
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com |

Rbgso

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:08 pm

GSO, 5L-23R, originally built to land the Fedex hub. The hub is at less than 20% capacity, and the 9,000 foot runway is in pristine condition.

It does get some limited use, but 5R-23L is the main workhorse at 10,000 feet.

Buyantukhaa

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:58 am

Quoting PatrickZ80 (Reply 51):
17/35 is used as a taxiway.

Well, I have landed quite a few times on 35 and even taken off once from 35, but never on 17 (and landings on 17 were never done I think). It was closed for refurbishment for quite some time but has since reopened; I saw it in use as recently as two years ago (haven't been to LIS much since).
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

B757capt

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:13 pm

Quoting mmo (Reply 9):

Yes but as the thread says, underutilized!
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos