antoniemey

RE: Pasta Pester--AA FA Tells Pax In J To Shut Up

Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:06 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 99):
Why two wonderful FA service? Because I was nice to them when they couldn't deliver to me.

Most agents, FAs, etc will do everything they can for a passenger that is kind and respectful in the face of a service failure. The passenger that pitches a fit will usually get only the bare minimum the agent being yelled at is required to give them.

It's rather amazing how many people in this world don't understand such a simple concept.

I haven't watched the video and I don't know what happened on that plane. What I can say is that, yes, the F/A probably should not have said "shut up" to a passenger, no matter how annoying they'd been. I can also say that I've had more than a few passengers that I've wanted to scream at because they were being unreasonable, so I can understand where, when trapped inside the flying metal tube with that person, someone might reach their limit and not hold themselves back.

The rest of the discussion about what and how the airline should cater the plane is... irrelevant, really.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

vanguard737

Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:33 am

Quoting klkla (Reply 20):
Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 8):
I have never heard a f/a tell a passenger to "shut up."

I have. On a UA flight from GRU-ORD years ago a flight attendant told me to shut up during the safety announcement.

The flight had been delayed a couple hours due to weather and some of the passengers in coach were a little rowdy and I guess her nerves were frayed but as a 1K in business I was pretty mad and the purser just shrugged it off and said there was nothing he could do when I told him about it. That was the final straw that convinced me leave United and have only flown them once since (and that was because Alaska rebooked me on them due to a weather issue).

And just out of curiosity...what did you do to drive a flight attendant to the point of telling you to shut up? I can imagine it now..."I bought a Business Class ticket and I'm a 1K! I deserve to be immune to weather delays! You are an awful human being for being a United flight attendant within my line of sight! Meh!"
319 320 321 359 717 722 732 733 735 73G 738 739 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 773 788 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 E145 E170 E175 CRJ CR7

klkla

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:37 am

Quoting vanguard737 (Reply 101):
And just out of curiosity...what did you do to drive a flight attendant to the point of telling you to shut up? I can imagine it now..."I bought a Business Class ticket and I'm a 1K! I deserve to be immune to weather delays! You are an awful human being for being a United flight attendant within my line of sight! Meh!"

I didn't say anything to her. She was in a foul mood, as were many of the passengers. She was doing the safety demonstration at the front of the business cabin. There was a lot of noise coming from the front of the coach section and that made her even more agitated. At one point I turned to my friend sitting next to me and asked (evidently too loud for her) "Did they already pass out the immigration forms?" That's when she snapped back at me "Shut up!" As I mentioned I later brought it to the purser's attention and he initially made an excuse for her and then basically said there was nothing he could do and suggested I write to corporate. This was a short time after the UA bankruptcy and their customer service was at a very low point and this just happened to be the straw that broke the back with me and United. I never actually spoke a word to her and at least the one thing the purser did do was make sure that she worked the back of the plane that night.

I only mentioned the story as an aside because DTWPurserBoy, an experienced flight attendant that always shares interesting stories on this board said
"I have never heard a f/a tell a passenger to "shut up."

It's fascinating that you, a person that knows absolutely nothing about the particulars of this incident, automatically makes a flaming statement instead of adding something interesting to the conversation.

TheRedBaron

Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:11 am

I have had wonderful experiences with crews, once they even made me a sandwich on a red eye flight, and it was huge!!!.

Make no mistake the golden age of aviation is long gone, and we are now on the golden age of cheap transportation, some wonderful things are gone, and we got great prices to fly very far, service and goodies have naturally gone down.

I always remember that crews are working and sometimes they as all of us have bad days, don't get personal with it, enjoy the flight and try to be nice, even a grumpy worker can be disarmed with a nice attitude and courtesy.

Remember you are the one traveling, not working.

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

grbauc

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:02 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 81):
If we haven't actually heard the story, we've already understood the story as presented by the passenger by way of the video that he put on Twitter. What we haven't heard, and what we probably will never hear, is the FA's side of the story. What I noticed in the video the passenger posted is his seatmate imploring him to stop to which he answers, "I just want to get his name" and then he keeps on going. Why would you even need his name? Why is this important. You can write a letter of complaint with all the juicy details and the airline will figure out who it is. Does he not think that AA knows who's working on their planes at any given moment? I still say there's more to this story that the passenger isn't sharing.

Flight attendant 100% wrong. The passenger should of let it go, but the flight attendant saying he's going to call the cops if he talks to him. Yikes with cameras everywhere these days you must be careful.

grbauc

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:24 am

Quoting klkla (Reply 102):
It's fascinating that you, a person that knows absolutely nothing about the particulars of this incident, automatically makes a flaming statement instead of adding something interesting to the conversation.

Thats called open mouth insert foot. Don't judge a book by its cover.

I remember In the HP days I was flying out of the LAS HUB and I was sitting in first and the seat next to me was open. I see this guy with long hair tattoo's and sunglasses crazy looking walking up and inside I'm thinking to myself oh god please don't sit next to me. Well he sits next to me and I really wish I could remember his name and the band.

He was a drummer for some rock band (well known) he was in Las Vegas playing drums for the Country music awards ceremony, Everyone knew him but me, he sighed everyone autograph that asked and was one of the most pleasant people I've traveled with.

I Try and remember that every time my mind starts to prejudge something.

grbauc

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:32 am

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 103):
I have had wonderful experiences with crews, once they even made me a sandwich on a red eye flight, and it was huge!!!.

Make no mistake the golden age of aviation is long gone, and we are now on the golden age of cheap transportation, some wonderful things are gone, and we got great prices to fly very far, service and goodies have naturally gone down.

I always remember that crews are working and sometimes they as all of us have bad days, don't get personal with it, enjoy the flight and try to be nice, even a grumpy worker can be disarmed with a nice attitude and courtesy.

Remember you are the one traveling, not working.

TRB

Yea Its changed. Back pre 9-11 Me and some of my friends use to Fly SWA PHX to SLC weekly. Well we got to know the FA well and they would let us on the mic once in awhile, my friends is extremely funny (He could be a comedian if he wanted) we would help pass out peanuts or one time he DJ some silly toilet paper roll game. Another time they let him read of the announcements.

AAplat4life

Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:41 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 99):
One of the problems of american first class services is that it is more of an upgrade cabin than a paid cabin. With that comes a real penny pinching attitude to service levels as airlines minimise costs to max the minimised revenues.

Even as an EXP member, I find upgrades hard to come by on AA. Senior management boasts how they have changed first class by selling more tickets in first. This was in the context of complaining why the market has not valued their stock better despite record profits (note the stock recently hit a new 52 week low, but then bounced up a bit). So more people are paying to fly first. The service issues are a result of management's indifference to its customers and relying on F/As to implement anti-customer policies. This goes beyond the bad food in first. There has been a lull in the publicity around the AA employee relations issues, which has stemmed in part from employees being concerned about having to deal with too many unhappy customers (pilots and F/As). I expect this to start escalating soon after the AAdvantage changes are fully digested.

bpat777

Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:20 pm

I find 95% of the time if you're nice to FAs from the start, they're even nicer to you.

SATexan

Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 1):

Key phrases: Punta Cana and Dominican Republic.
Some passengers up front from here are just annoying as hell. Give this FA a break for not shutting them up with more PC tact.

Gimme a break!! The words "Shut Up" should never be used in service industry. Period. Just imagine yourself, being told to Shut Up in front of atleast a dozen strangers by someone who is in-charge just because he/she felt annoyed. As a passenger, I have seen fellow passengers that are uber wealthy, major industrialists and entrepreneurs and top notch researchers sit next to me. I have seen them stay humble, polite and upgraded just like other passengers. Without knowing a passenger, if an FA tells him to shut up, that not only is condescending but also arrogant.

If you loathe people upgrading to first class (paid or courtesy) then, create separate classes as in "Upgraded First" and "Paid First". Otherwise, In a "First Class", the service has to be first class relative to the economy class. Your suggestion of treating passengers differently within the same First class, will set a dangerous precedent and open the "classism" can of worms that will be detrimental to the industry.

Also, Punta Cana is a very popular place for American tourists. How did you automatically assume that the passengers going there in J are "annoying as hell" ??

[Edited 2016-06-11 08:57:08]

[Edited 2016-06-11 09:37:34]

[Edited 2016-06-11 09:43:19]

kgaiflyer

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Quoting SATexan (Reply 109):
If you loathe people "upgrading" to first class then, like as others have suggested, rename it to "Upgrade Class". In a "First Class", the service has to be first class relative to the economy class. Your words of treating passengers differently with the same "First class", will set a dangerous precedent and open the "classism" can of worms that will be detrimental to the industry.

Just a small suggestion.

On AA and UA, there are *paid* upgrades and courtesy upgrades. At UA paid upgrades *do not* appear on the upgrade list visible at the gate or on the flight status web page.

The airlines seem not to consider people who pay a *tariff* to sit in the front as gratuitous fluff. In other words, there are upgrades who paid for the privilege of sitting in the front - almost like real first-class-ticketed passengers - and upgrades who don't.

From my experience as a million-miler, it's the latter who descend into jerk-hood.

DTWPurserBoy

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 110):

Just a small suggestion.

On AA and UA, there are *paid* upgrades and courtesy upgrades. At UA paid upgrades *do not* appear on the upgrade list visible at the gate or on the flight status web page.

The airlines seem not to consider people who pay a *tariff* to sit in the front as gratuitous fluff. In other words, there are upgrades who paid for the privilege of sitting in the front - almost like real first-class-ticketed passengers - and upgrades who don't.

From my experience as a million-miler, it's the latter who descend into jerk-hood.

We really do not care how folks got a coveted front cabin seat and most of the time I cannot tell who is there and for what reason--with a few exceptions. High FFT status is noted. All I ask is please, remember some basic good manners (like not cutting your toenails and leaving them on the carpet in the middle of dinner). As others have said--greet a flight attendant with a big smile and say hello and you are in the club.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

kgaiflyer

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 111):
High FFT status is noted.

Talking about courteous, considerate crew members - an FA came to my seat (33D on an ORD-DEN 753) a couple weeks ago and offered me a free adult beverage on the airline - and thanked me for being a 1-K. As a paying customer, things like that will make me loyal to UA for life.  
Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 111):
remember some basic good manners (like not cutting your toenails and leaving them on the carpet in the middle of dinner

How's about blowimg your nose on your dinner linen (Yep - I've seen it   ).

Otherwise, glad to be part of the conversation.

sspontak

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Pestering a FA inflight while they are busy serving passengers is not the time to match wits with them.

How would you like it as an employee being pestered and having a phone pointed at you being videoed. That is not right as a passenger to do so especially over a plate of pasta.

As a passenger, you can take care of this with customer service and not piss off a FA inflight. They have a job to do that is not easy.

As someone mentioned above, if you want to be treated nicely by a FA, then you should treat them nicely back. That passenger was not being nice.

In this case both the FA and the passenger actually did not handle this the best way.

Revelation

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Quoting sspontak (Reply 113):
How would you like it as an employee being pestered and having a phone pointed at you being videoed. That is not right as a passenger to do so especially over a plate of pasta.

Ok, so it's rude, but to threaten to have the police meet the flight, over a plate of pasta? How is that going to help anyone? It's probably a good thing that there is video so the pax has some way of dealing with the possible legal situation.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

sspontak

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:16 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 114):

True.

The passenger provoked the FA and the FA overreacted. In this case "two wrongs don't make a right".

peanuts

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Gimme a break!! The words "Shut Up" should never be used in service industry. Period. Just imagine yourself, being told to Shut Up in front of atleast a dozen strangers by someone who is in-charge just because he/she felt annoyed. As a passenger, I have seen fellow passengers that are uber wealthy, major industrialists and entrepreneurs and top notch researchers sit next to me. I have seen them stay humble, polite and upgraded just like other passengers. Without knowing a passenger, if an FA tells him to shut up, that not only is condescending but also arrogant.

If you loathe people upgrading to first class (paid or courtesy) then, create separate classes as in "Upgraded First" and "Paid First". Otherwise, In a "First Class", the service has to be first class relative to the economy class. Your suggestion of treating passengers differently within the same First class, will set a dangerous precedent and open the "classism" can of worms that will be detrimental to the industry.

Also, Punta Cana is a very popular place for American tourists. How did you automatically assume that the passengers going there in J are "annoying as hell" ??

Not sure what's in your water but I'm just gonna go ahead and dissect this post for a minute. I don't appreciate having my words twisted around for your convenience.

The words "Shut Up" should never be used in service industry. Period.

The FA could probably have used better lingo; being in a confined space high in the sky while a passenger simply antagonizes you to no end just to prove a point does give the FA a right to put a stop to it. He needs a little tact training in "delivery" for our PC crowd, apparently.
Also, we do not know exactly what happened before this video. The FA's finger was shaking. He may have been antagonized for a while already. Asking someone relentlessly for their name while said person holds a camera to your face is simply intimidation and bullying.
Customer is not always right. It's actually a smart move for companies to back their employees more. Social media has exposed the customer from hell and rightfully so. (In this case, they expose themselves, go figure, the level of stupidity).

Just imagine yourself, being told to Shut Up in front of atleast a dozen strangers by someone who is in-charge just because he/she felt annoyed.

Any person with common decency/courtesy could see have seen this coming a mile away. The passenger is not the victim here. He's an antagonizer. He did not have a filter in place to know when to stop. He likely felt empowered a bit having 5 of his friends as his audience so he decided to make a spectacle out of this.
BTW, let's not over dramatize your paragraph. The FA whispered to him to shut up. Not loudly at all. Give the FA some credit for trying to keep it discreet. The passenger recorded it for the world to see, but the cabin didn't hear it.

As a passenger, I have seen fellow passengers that are uber wealthy, major industrialists and entrepreneurs and top notch researchers sit next to me. I have seen them stay humble, polite and upgraded just like other passengers.

Huh? Your point?

Without knowing a passenger, if an FA tells him to shut up, that not only is condescending but also arrogant.

So what you're saying is we need to know a passengers' background before we can determine how to approach him/her? Wow.
I'd say treat everyone equally.

Was this directed at me? Since when and where did I loathe people upgrading? I suggested treating them differently?
Spare me the drama, assumptions and twisting of words.

How did you automatically assume that the passengers going there in J are "annoying as hell" ??

That's like saying all Mexicans are rapists even though no such thing was ever uttered.
What I really said is "some" of them are annoying as hell. And the passengers were flying from there, not going there.
Punta Cana is not an easy route up front. Every route has its quirks. Differences in clientele and dynamics.

Money makes you more of who you already are. Even well to do people can be classless.
Lowering the threshold to dump fares to get a seat in First from Punta Cana does increase the chances of witnessing more classless behavior though. It's just a simple fact of life. The recording proves it.

SATexan

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:00 am

Mate, we don't know that this is true

Quoting peanuts (Reply 116):
He may have been antagonized for a while already.

but you went on to blame the passenger anyway

The passenger is not the victim here. He's an antagonizer.

All I am saying if you cannot fulfill a passenger's request for whatever reason, you don't have to be judgmental and tell him to shut up. So..

I'd say treat everyone equally.

That's exactly what I am telling !!

He needs a little tact training in "delivery" for our PC crowd, apparently.

You can ask your kids to shut up. Pulling that off to a grown up even if it was "whispered" can escalate things anywhere in the world. Just try telling your wife to shut up and see what happens  

Prinair

Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:10 pm

The customer (passenger) is always right but hardly ever correct...
PRINAIR - Puerto Rico International Airlines

F9Animal

Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:42 am

Out of curiosity. We have a ton of FA's here. We all get to a point where we need to walk away, take a deep breath, and contain ourselves. Customers can be a royal pain in the butt sometimes. What's your secret to maintaining control of your emotions at 35,000 feet? Anyone just go to the galley, close the curtains, and take deep breaths? Or, just go to the bathroom, and grunt? There doesn't seem to be any places to go hide.

I think they should install punching bags in the back galley!
I Am A Different Animal!!

OB1504

Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:16 am

Quoting AEROFAN (Reply 61):
I would not complain. I would just call my credit card company and chargeback the cost of my flight.

File enough fraudulent/illegitimate chargebacks and your credit card issuer will drop you.

The ticket is a contract for transport from point A to B. If you use the ticket and late file a chargeback, you are committing fraud.

Quoting AEROFAN (Reply 72):
You control cost at the detriment of the customer??? What the hell sort of business do some of you people run?

Profitable ones. Look at the numbers the airlines have been posting lately.

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 98):
I would be shocked if the union even tries to protect his job, or even takes a grievance to the table. I

Aren't they obligated to make at least a token effort?

DTWPurserBoy

Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 119):
Out of curiosity. We have a ton of FA's here. We all get to a point where we need to walk away, take a deep breath, and contain ourselves. Customers can be a royal pain in the butt sometimes. What's your secret to maintaining control of your emotions at 35,000 feet? Anyone just go to the galley, close the curtains, and take deep breaths? Or, just go to the bathroom, and grunt? There doesn't seem to be any places to go hide.

I have the best support system in the world--my fellow crew members. We can vent privately, profanely and with incredibly inventive verbiage when someone does something offensive. When one of us has been verbally ( or sometimes physically) attacked by a customer the word is out to every crew member on the airplane in seconds. We always share information like that--and then when we get to the layover hotel, we all pile into one hotel room with some beer and wine and REALLY vent! Feels good.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

gzm

Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:02 pm

That's what happens when airlines pamper their passengers with their advertisements: "We never forget how important you are", "We never forget you have a choice" (JAL) "We treat you as an honored guest" (JAL again) "Gentle hostess in your sarong kebaya you care for me as only you know how,Singapore girl you are a great way to fly" and so on.
Now,as far as I know,here in Greece people are not allowed to either take pictures or video through their cell phones when they are in a civil service building.It is illegal.If they use it to accuse a clerk it will turn against them (because someone said something about legal action against the airline or the flight attendant). Having worked as a gate agent myself,I have seen all kinds of passengers,all kinds of behavior and I sympathize with the crew. May I suggest a simple solution: next time control yourself and just go directly to your supervisor or better still to the captain.This will surely work. It will show them who is in charge there!

A330

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:28 pm

If I would pay a J or F class ticket, the LEAST I can excpect is to be able to bloody choose my meal!
" running out of" because not overstocking is absolutely unacceptable in the Premium cabins.
But I see all too often upgrades because of Status being attended first over payed premium fares, which is just disgusting.

A330
Captain B747-400
Shiek!

MetsNomad

Re: RE: Pasta Pester--AA FA Tells Pax In J To Shut Up

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:41 pm

travelin man wrote:
I believe "shut up" is AA's version of "hello".

The reason I haven't flown AA in a looooooong time! :D
Money talks. Mine says goodbye!

kgaiflyer

Re: Pasta Pester--AA FA Tells Pax In J To Shut Up

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:59 am

Years ago when I was a Northwest Airlines Platinum, flying SEA-MSP, I remember a company official riding in domestic First asking the FA to survey the passengers and certify who was platinum, who was gold, and who was silver. Not sure what the point was since no one was asked to leave the cabin (apparently everyone was platinum). The problem seemed to emerge, as I was given to understand, because a passenger in the back complained that there were sketchy people in the front (Asian/ Hispanic businessmen?) who were preventing him from being upgraded.

But then - some frequent flyers are simply out of their minds. :roll:
Last edited by kgaiflyer on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runway23

Re: Pasta Pester--AA FA Tells Pax In J To Shut Up

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:17 pm

I don't get why everyone is so defensive of the FA.

In what service industry is it correct to point fingers and tell someone to shut up ?

Other than the FA not keeping his cool, instead of telling the passenger to "do their homework", would explaining the procedures really be a big deal ? Normally if you explain things correctly it helps to calm everyone down and if you believe you're going to lose your cool, go to the galley and call someone else up to deal with the problematic passenger.

AEROFAN

Re: RE: Pasta Pester--AA FA Tells Pax In J To Shut Up

Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:10 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Quoting AEROFAN (Reply 61):I would not complain. I would just call my credit card company and chargeback the cost of my flight.

Quoting OB1504:"File enough fraudulent/illegitimate chargebacks and your credit card issuer will drop you."

I kindly suggest to you that you look up the definition of fraud. You should be glad the passenger did not file a claim with the DOT or the AG for false advertising. Each chargeback has a reason for it: Service not rendered in this case would be fully valid. Your credit card issuer will not drop you if the chargebacks you file are valid. Enough people filling them against a merchant for poor/shoddy service will however get the merchant placed on the Brands' excessive chargeback monitoring programs. A shame more people don't charge back the airlines' charges over the ridiculously stupid things that they do.

Quoting OB1504"The ticket is a contract for transport from point A to B. If you use the ticket and late file a chargeback, you are committing fraud."

When you purchase a ticket in F or J you are not purchasing a product to just go from point A to point B - that is what you do when you purchase a ticket in economy. If this is not clear to you, then no wonder you do not understand the issue.

Quoting AEROFAN (Reply 72):You control cost at the detriment of the customer??? What the hell sort of business do some of you people run?
Profitable ones. Look at the numbers the airlines have been posting lately.

Yes profitable because of nickle and diming of passengers. Good for the airlines if they can do so and get away with it. Bully for them!

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 98):I would be shocked if the union even tries to protect his job, or even takes a grievance to the table. I
Aren't they obligated to make at least a token effort?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos