egnr

RE: Oldest Livery Still In Use?

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 48):
Ok so now i am rather confused. IF this is the case, what are other airbii aircraft made of? The A320 series, the A330 series etc. I thought these airplanes were made of composite materials, hence the inability to sport a baremetal livery, because it is not metal. I also thought that was the case for the A300. How is it that the 787 would be the first?

All Airbus aircraft are primarily of aluminium construction. Some areas are made of composite materials such as carbon fibre, and on the A380 a material called GLARE is used in some areas.

The reason for the lack of polished metal skin on Airbus aircraft (except the AA A300s), and in fact on most European produced aircraft, is the use of 'bonded primer'. See this link to an earlier discussion on the AA A300s.

Incidentally, American Airlines also operated the BAe 146 for a short period. That aircraft also received an overall grey paint job like the A300s initially had.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

7late7, A3latey, Sukhoi Superlate... what's going on?

captaink

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting EGNR (Reply 50):

Quoting Doug_Or (Reply 49):

Thanks guys.
Look Up

747400sp

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:26 am

I hope American Airlines keep their current liver another 20+ years, it is beautiful.  Smile

skywatch

Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:27 pm

Hasn't the Aeroflot livery been around a while? I know they are phasing it out, but there are still some aircraft in the old colors.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

Gr8Circle

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:15 pm

Quoting Irish251 (Reply 9):
Air-India's scheme is essentially unchanged since they got their first 747s. Not only that, but a new scheme tried in the late 1980s was dropped after an outcry over plans to drop the classic one.

AI's current livery was introduced in 1971, when they got their first 742....the 'Rising Sun' livery, introduced in 1989, I think, didn't last for more than 2-3 years before reverting back to the original on popular demand  smile ....

cedars747

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:35 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 44):
Royal Air Maroc (pre 1962) is the winner.

Yessssss...........What is the prime? a free tkt to CAS would be nice  Wink
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

MEACEDAR

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:09 pm

Would about Continental? Their livery has been around for a pretty long time, has it not?

BA

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:12 pm

Quoting MEACEDAR (Reply 56):
Would about Continental? Their livery has been around for a pretty long time, has it not?

No, the current livery was introduced in the early 90's.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

N1120A

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:21 pm

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 21):
says who? Singapore's is one of the most elegant liveries to ever be painted on an airliner. Out of the majors, that one is probably the sharpest looking.

Says me. It always looks dirty, even though their planes are spotless

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 34):
Is the purple one their official c/s?

Canyon Blue is the official color scheme

Quoting Jcf5002 (Reply 36):
they are still keeping many of them the older sand color.

They are keeping exactly 3 aircraft in the older color scheme, and even the top is more of a gold than the older color.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 43):
Early bird without the 'bare metal' look

That was bonded primer and came from the factory that way, and the tails didn't look so odd.

Are you sure about that? Because if i remember correctly the first A300s were greyish and not silver. And from what I have read, it was mentioned that Airbus developed some special process for the aircrafts skin, so as to have them in the 'bare metal' look.

Early bird without the 'bare metal' look

No process was developed, American just buffed off the primer.

From what I know the A300s fuselage is not covered in aluminum.

It is absolutely aluminum

Quoting Captaink (Reply 48):
Ok so now i am rather confused. IF this is the case, what are other airbii aircraft made of? The A320 series, the A330 series etc. I thought these airplanes were made of composite materials, hence the inability to sport a baremetal livery, because it is not metal. I also thought that was the case for the A300. How is it that the 787 would be the first?

All Airbus aircraft are made of aluminum. The closest you get is the A380 which makes extensive use of GLARE, though it is still tons overweight from where it is supposed to be. The 787 is absolutely the first all composite commercial aircraft.

Quoting EGNR (Reply 50):
Incidentally, American Airlines also operated the BAe 146 for a short period. That aircraft also received an overall grey paint job like the A300s initially had.

Those were ex-AirCal aircraft that had already had paint on them.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AlexPorter

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:32 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 57):
No, the current livery was introduced in the early 90's.

I think it is nonetheless the 2nd-oldest livery of the six US major legacies:

AA: 1968
UA: 2004
DL: 2000
NW: 2003
CO: 1990
US: 2005
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

7474ever

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:28 pm

Quoting 7474ever (Reply 3):
It needs a SERIOUS upgrade. Very much outdated.

says who? Alitalia's design is perfect, elegant and still looks very modern. It was way ahead of its time.

I don't think you have a problem to read my username above my comment, do you ? That's a matter of taste, and it's MY OPINION. Respect it as I respect yours.

seeing your flag is Israeli, that's what EL AL did, they changed a very sharp and pretty livery into the current boring white nonsense to appear cool.

Well, again, if that's your opinion, fine by me. Me myself prefer the new one.

Then came PIA and copied this already lame scheme, and got it even worse!

Finally agreed on that !

JuniorSpotter

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:34 pm

SAS, anyone?

Early 50's

View Large View Medium

Photo © Flemming K. Fogh

View Large View Medium

Photo © Lars Söderström

Late 70's

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan-Olav Martinsen

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carsten Frank

My, oh my...

duck 
If something can go wrong, it will.

cedars747

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Quoting JuniorSpotter (Reply 61):
My, oh my...

Nice try JuniorSpotter  Big grin
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

miamix707

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:54 pm

KLM, Singapore, Olympic and Ethiopian disqualify as there have been more changes then just the small details

Well, Ethiopian would qualify if it wasn't because the livery is in only left in one plane and a new look ws introduced 2 years ago already. Before the recent boring update, Ethiopian would've been the oldest by far. Except for the E A L letters on the tail everything was the same.

Olympic has only received minor updates, that is such a good scheme. How old is the original?

Singapore's change has been very very minor, should qualify, but I think the livery dates from the mid 70s so not the oldest.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 58):
Says me. It always looks dirty, even though their planes are spotless

Yes only you are saying it. Looks dirty but it's spotless? That makes no sense but ok lol

airbusA346

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:01 pm

That's not the offical livery of SAS though, it is a livery for their 60 years jubilee.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

ehho

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 52):
Hasn't the Aeroflot livery been around a while?

The previous "blue cheatline" SU livery was introduced in the early 1970s. IL-76 and Tu-154 were the first to use it, IIRC. Even the first IL-62s in 1970 had a different, custom livery, based on the previous Tu-104 SU livery.

Obviously, as of 2003, SU officially has the new livery, and the old one is being phased out. However, there are many small carriers in Russia and the CIS (often single aircraft operators) who still have their planes painted in SU colors with custom titles. In a way, the livery still lives on and should be counted in the list somewhere in the early 1970s. It's younger than AZ but older than AF.
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

GoldenParrot

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:20 pm

Don't know if anyone has seen this yet but it seems like Alitalia's livery is now changing....have a look at this forum and scroll down the page to see a newly painted MD80. What do you think?

http://www.aviazionecivile.it/forum/...pic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15147&whichpage=4

They've changed the tone of green and red, The Alitalia font, the design of the tail and the green cheat line is now below the windows.

[Edited 2006-10-22 15:29:51]

RICARIZA

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:36 pm

It needs a SERIOUS upgrade. Very much outdated

WHAAATT???? AZ's livery is timeless.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
Absolutely not. AZ's livery exudes style

says who? Alitalia's design is perfect, elegant and still looks very modern. It was way ahead of its time.

Exactly!

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 11):
Customers buy tickets to get from A to B quickly, cheaply and with reasonable comfort

yeah right, I definitely pay $50 more to receive "reasonable" service on any other airline.

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 20):
American Airlines should never change their livery.

That, I agree.. is beautiful.

AV's old livery is still used by one F-50 (not for long though). Although the new livery is great, I still miss the old "BIG RED" introduced in the latest 70's.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Juan Pablo Luna
View Large View Medium

Photo © Eduard Marmet

The retro image was used a few years ago:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mel Lawrence
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bill Hough

I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

7474ever

Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 2):
Alitalia is definitely a winner

Absolutely not. AZ's livery exudes style. Too bad it doesn't exude profitability

Right. Old and terrible.

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 24):

I have to disagree - AZ's scheme is stunning IMO.
Thanks
Alex

Well, apparently Im not the only one who thinks that AZ'slivery needs an upgrade...Just check out the new thread on the issue...

Viscount724

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:46 am

Quoting Doug_Or (Reply 49):
I beleive Airbus just want the aluminum painted to avoid corrosion. Not sure if they use a different alloy than Boeing, or just have different terms for their MX support.

I recall reading something long ago that referred to the fully-painted Airbus fuselages as being for anti-corrosion reasons, and that AA's original gray-paint on the A300s was required under the terms of the Airbus warranty.

Apart from the AA A300s which have now had the polished aluminum livery for quite a few years, I can't think of any other Airbus aircraft, old or new, that doesn't have a fully-painted fuselage. Is anyone aware of any others?

WDBRR

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 20):
American Airlines should never change their livery. Love the silver planes. As they land in Miami, with the sun usually shining, they glitter as they approach the runway

For many years it was Eastern Airlines landing in Miami with their same bare aluminum and hockey stick strips reflecting the sun.

JuniorSpotter

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:45 pm

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 64):

That's not the offical livery of SAS though, it is a livery for their 60 years jubilee.

Tom.

Time to get the "ironic humour" bag out of the baggage claim, dude...  Big grin
If something can go wrong, it will.

Buyantukhaa

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:40 pm

Royal Air Maroc (pre 1962) is the winner

But if you compare the two pics you'll see that the liveries are in fact not the same. The cheatline is no longer on the windows. So, not similar enough to qualify if you ask me...

Quoting N1120A (Reply 58):
The 787 is absolutely the first all composite commercial aircraft.

Material breakout on 787

* Composites - 50%
* Aluminum - 20%
* Titanium - 15%
* Steel - 10%
* Other - 5%

Source:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787family/programfacts.html

But I assume you meant (nearly 100% composite) skin panels.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

RICARIZA

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting 7474ever (Reply 68):
Well, apparently Im not the only one who thinks that AZ'slivery needs an upgrade...Just check out the new thread on the issue...

I find the proposed new livery very nice, specially because it keeps the most important aspects of the old livery. It is definitely an upgrade and not a complete change....

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 246 File size: 24kb

alitis

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:05 pm

Olympic and Ethiopian disqualify as there have been more changes then just the small details. Even while their logos and colours remained more or less the same, cheatlines, colors and titles moved, disappeared or changed significantly.

Looks pretty much the same to me:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Günter Grondstein

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter de Groot

View Large View Medium

Photo © Unmuth-AirTeamImages VAP

-alitis

mbj2000

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:16 pm

Looks nice, but they should keep the Mickey Mouse nose...
 Smile
Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending -- Bender Unit 22

richierich

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:43 pm

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 11):
It's been said time and time again on this forum that American Airlines' decision to keep its scheme is not an affront to neo-asthetics, but the fact that the paint scheme uses very little paint and thus has weight and fuel efficiency benefits.

Not to mention the reflective qualities of their livery help keep the cabin cooler in hot, sunny climates (such as Miami, Dallas, San Juan, etc.)!

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 73):
I find the proposed new livery very nice, specially because it keeps the most important aspects of the old livery. It is definitely an upgrade and not a complete change....

I don't often care for member's "guesses" or "artwork" when it comes to new liveries. But I will at least say your AZ rendition was classy and not over the top, but I see hints of SriLankan in the tail.
None shall pass!!!!

RICARIZA

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 76):
But I will at least say your AZ rendition was classy and not over the top, but I see hints of SriLankan in the tail.

Just to clarify, is not mine, I took it from another thread.

RICARIZA

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:57 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 77):
Just to clarify, is not mine, I took it from another thread.

BTW, it is not the final livery as I thought but a concept created by two Italian college students (Aerodream Design).

miamix707

Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:59 am

hey buddy, get my name outta there Big grin I didn't say that. Once again, AZ livery needs to stay, if anything modified to the following:

I have to say that's one of the very, very few proposed liveries I've liked that's as good or maybe even better than a current (excellent) scheme. That one looks very good, save for the tiny "alitalia" in a bad font that doesn't go with that design. For that livery to truly look as elegant as it could be, the bottom needs to be gray.

As far as this new livery in the MD80.. im not sure. Doesn't look any better or more "modern" although we need a better shot.

I wouldn't trust the dates on some of the photos here. To me, that first pic of a supposedly early 50's SAS shot, look more like late 50s or early 60s. Few or none airlines in the early 50's had a scheme that modern or with a solid windowline and white top., etc.

RICARIZA

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:01 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 79):
That one looks very good, save for the tiny "alitalia" in a bad font that doesn't go with that design

Apparently someone agrees with you:

Big version: Width: 648 Height: 199 File size: 23kb

walter747

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:10 am

i think AZ is out since they Just changed theirs
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

walter747

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:59 am

thats actually not their livery it's a mock up of one done by aero dream in the other thread they stated they'd be happy to sell it to AZ

miamix707

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:15 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 80):
Apparently someone agrees with you:

now that's a bit better.. The current titles would still suit this livery fine, and to me look better.

walter747

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:18 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 83):
now that's a bit better.. The current titles would still suit this livery fine, and to me look better.

thats not the real livery its only a mock as i said, but the designers would be happy to sell it to AZ

DALelite

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:27 am

AZ needs to change their livery!!

regards: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

rvA340

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:03 am

1)
Big version: Width: 200 Height: 133 File size: 9kb
2)
Big version: Width: 200 Height: 133 File size: 9kb
3)
Big version: Width: 200 Height: 133 File size: 10kb
4)
Big version: Width: 200 Height: 133 File size: 7kb

This are some airlines with old livery that I remember...
cubana, olympic, aeropostal , lloyd aereo boliviano
I think they need to modernize their livery!

greetings!