Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tonytifao
Topic Author

Best Way To Go From JFK To Newark?

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:32 am

Hi A.net friends,

My sister is flying from GRU to MCO via JFK. She has to transfer to Newark from JFK. What is the best way to do this? Any shuttles? What is the transit time?

MrFord

RE: Best Way To Go From JFK To Newark?

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi there!

First off : Poor girl! That's a long detour right there  Sad

The easiest IMHO : Take the bus shuttle from Newark to Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan, then there you can transfer to the JFK bus. Easy and efficient.

Another way is to take the AirTrain from Newark to Penn Station in Manhattan, then either take the Long Island Railroad (more expensive but more convenient) or the E train (subway) to Jamaica Station, then transfert to the AirTrain JFK.

Plan at least an hour and half/2 hours to transfer... not the nicest city in term of traffic hehe.

Two interesting pages :

http://www.ny.com/transportation/airports/NWK.html
JFK.html" target=_blank>http://www.ny.com/transportation/airports/JFK.html
"For radar identification throw your jumpseat rider out the window."

AeroWesty

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:29 pm

Take the AirTrain/LIRR to Penn Station then pickup the NJ Transit train out to EWR. Doable if she's not carrying tons of luggage. If she is, do a private transfer service.
International Homo of Mystery

exFATboy

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:30 pm

First question - is there any way to avoid this routing? I'm not clear on why anyone coming in from Brazil would go GRU-JFK and then transfer for EWR-MCO. That's adding two thousand miles of additional travel, plus a few hours of transfer time.

But presuming that there's some reason (scheduling, fares, etc.) she has to use this routing, here's the alternatives. It looks like the best bet is the Olympic Airporter direct shuttle. (It's listed as "Princeton Airporter" on the PANYNJ page, apparently they've recently changed their name.) It should run $24 plus a few bucks tip for the driver. The website apparently has a facility where you plug in your JFK-arrvival and EWR-departure info and it tells you how much time to allow - personally, I'd tack on another 60-90 minutes, to allow for possible traffic problems and customs/immigration delays.

There are other alternatives, but all of them involve some sort of transfer at Grand Central, Port Authority Bus Terminal, or Penn Station, and the fare works out to pretty much the same. A cab or car service sedan would be at least $90 once you add the tolls (Midtown Tunnel if the driver takes that, plus $6 for deadheading back into NY) and the time advantage over the shuttle van is just the wait time for the van to leave.

I would not recommend the train option - that requires you to take the AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica, the Long Island Rail Road from Jamaica to Penn Station, New Jersey Transit from Penn to the airport, and then a short (albeit slow) monorail ride to the terminals. It isn't that bad of a ride, but the transfer process at Penn is the problem - there's no schedule coordination between LIRR and NJT, and relatively few NJT trains stop at the Newark Airport station, so she could potentially pick up a half-hour to 45 minute delay at Penn Station.

qqflyboy

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:35 pm

JFK's website has a couple of options listed, the simplest being a shuttle service called Airporter. JFK's website says it costs $24 to travel between JFK and EWR, and takes 90 minutes. I couldn't confirm this on Airporter's website, but I did notice travel times between the two airports were listed at two hours and fifteen minutes. For more info, you can call Airporter at 800-385-4000 or (609) 587-6600. The service runs several times a day, and there is a schedule available on their website http://www.goairporter.com/.

She could also take the train:

1. Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica Station ($5)
2. LIRR from Jamaica to Penn Station (~$10)
3. NJ Transit from Penn to EWR (~$15)
4. Airtrain from EWR Airport NJ Transit station to EWR (free)

It would cost about $30 total, depending on peak/off peak fares. It would take about two and a half hours, depending on the timing of trains.

For more options, check out JFK's website
http://www.kennedyairport.com/Commut...orts/html/ken_connect.html#jfkewr.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

corey07850

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:40 pm

Quoting Tonytifao (Thread starter):

My sister is flying from GRU to MCO via JFK. She has to transfer to Newark from JFK. What is the best way to do this? Any shuttles? What is the transit time?

If you've got the cash, take US Helicopter... Could take as quick as 25 minutes but costs around $200  Smile

fllcontinental

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:40 pm

If your sister is not to worried about money, I have always found the US helicopter service to be quite efficient.

tonytifao
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:00 pm

First, thanks everyone for all the great info.

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 3):
First question - is there any way to avoid this routing? I'm not clear on why anyone coming in from Brazil would go GRU-JFK and then transfer for EWR-MCO. That's adding two thousand miles of additional travel, plus a few hours of transfer time.

Award ticket  Smile

Quoting Fllcontinental (Reply 6):
If your sister is not to worried about money, I have always found the US helicopter service to be quite efficient.

I can pay that $200 for her. How do I go about doing that?

cbphoto

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 7):

http://www.flyushelicopter.com/

Here you go. On the right side of the page is booking information and stuff!!! Just hope it is not a weekend, because it appears they do not run on weekends!!! Good Luck, and what a nice brother you are!!!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

ikramerica

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:10 pm

It's $212.80 including tax. Considering the time/cost of doing it another way, it's reasonable!!

When I was a kid, we flew PanAm to Singapore, and they offered free connecting service from EWR on a helicopter. EWR-Manhattan-JFK-SFO-HHG-SIN. That was a fun trip in coach, right by the smoking section...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

sq452

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:22 pm

First of all, that is very cool that your sister will take the helicopter!  Smile Your a nice brother!!! Second, if you were not doing this, the limo service offered is the easiest way, or either a taxi or car (a bit more expensive).

A year ago, I wound up missing a flight at JFK and was put on SQ out of Newark instead and had to travel between JFK and EWR. Granted it was later in the evening so traffic wasn't that bad, but it was still terrible even with the car service AA had provided. I had 2 hours before my flight left EWR when I left JFK and it took me just over an hour to get to EWR (I barely made the SQ flight at EWR).

Long story short, the helicopter is definitely the way to go and well worth the money in my opinion. Maybe she can do a trip report!  Smile
SIN > CVG > BOS

qqflyboy

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:31 pm

If you decide to book the US Helicopter service you should look into checking her baggage all the way through. If she's travelling AA, AA has a baggage agreement with USH. CO and DL both have ticketing/baggage agreements with USH. She'll have to claim her luggage at JFK to clear customs, but then she could recheck it at the transfer desk if it were checked through to MCO via USH. It would certainly make the transfer that much more convenient and make the cost all the more reasonable.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

aajfksjubklyn

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:44 pm

I travel from Hoboken to JFK often (my preferred airport since I live in Brooklyn) and I dislike EWR. What I do is leave here and take Holland Tunnel, head down canal street, over Manhattan bridge, continue on Flatbush Avenue, to Grand Army plaza, jump on Eastern Parkway to Atlantic Ave, take Atlantic Avenue to Conduit right into JFK (beleive it or not this is the most direct point to point way..the road names change, but they flow easily into one another). If flying AA, use JFK Expressway as you dont get caught in the line of illegal cars parked along side roads leading to T8&9 via Van Wyke approach. Beleive it or not, that routing is only 45 min, in moderate traffic (18 miles). I have tried every other way, LIE, Van Wyke etc..this is fastest! Add 20 Min for travel from EWR to Hoboken/JC entrance into Holland tunnel. But even that trip could be quick. Those are the directions for the cab! AIf of course you use a cab.

Helicopter is sure the best way though!

exFATboy

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:46 pm

Award ticket  Smile

Ah, that's what I suspected. Well, if you don't mind the cost the helicopter is definitely the way to go - fast and scenic! One of these days I'm going to take the 'copter from downtown Manhattan (I'm about a 10-15 minute walk from the heliport) to EWR or JFK just for the sake of doing it.

Hope she has a great time!

upperdeckfan

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:09 pm

Don't get it personal, but I would expect that someone flying GRU-JFK/EWR-MCO is because a bargain fare meaning your sister do worry about money.........then you'll spend 212USD on a helicopter transfer.......don't you think the 212 bucks would've been better spend on a nicer itinerary for her? let's say GRU-MIA-MCO or GRU-ATL-MCO
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

tonytifao
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:23 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for all the great information. This forum is just terrific!

Quoting UPPERDECKFAN (Reply 14):
Don't get it personal, but I would expect that someone flying GRU-JFK/EWR-MCO is because a bargain fare meaning your sister do worry about money.........then you'll spend 212USD on a helicopter transfer.......don't you think the 212 bucks would've been better spend on a nicer itinerary for her? let's say GRU-MIA-MCO or GRU-ATL-MCO

UpperDeckFan,

She does worry about money, so I gave her a free ticket. The $200 will be coming out of my pocket; I think it's worth it since she has never been on a helicopter and it seems pretty convinient!

Ansett767

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 15):
She does worry about money, so I gave her a free ticket. The $200 will be coming out of my pocket; I think it's worth it since she has never been on a helicopter and it seems pretty convinient!

Cool! that explains it.

And you are a lovely brother - wish I had one like that  Smile

Anyway, 200$ isnt that much for a heli ride! But the option I would use would be the transfer service maybe - unless she is time restricted. Actually for the chance to take the helicopter for novelty value alone maybe I would pay that  Smile

AEROFAN

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:57 pm

i don't think the direct transfer service between jfk and ewr exists. at least it didn't about year and a half ago, when i needed it.

as everyone have said, if money is no object the helicopter is the way to go.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~