Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Faustino927
Topic Author

F/A's On Cargo Planes

Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:48 pm

Hello everyone. This might seem like a dumb question but do Cargo planes carry Flight Attendants? I was just wondering.
Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

PhilSquares

RE: F/A's On Cargo Planes

Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:06 pm

Quoting Faustino927 (Thread starter):
Hello everyone. This might seem like a dumb question but do Cargo planes carry Flight Attendants? I was just wondering.

No, no flight attendents. It's all self-service!
Fly fast, live slow

HT

Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:06 am

do Cargo planes carry Flight Attendants

Only on flights of a combi like the B747-400M carrying pax and freight on the main deck.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

wilco737

Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:47 am

We don't have any F/As.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

HAWK21M

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:41 am

The Flying crew are their own FAs,there is assistance from the jumpseaters though  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

DABZF

Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:53 am

Actually I can remember hearing that LH (or German Cargo?) used to have them on the 742F's (I think it goes back to the 80's or possibly early 90's). Not sure if they were on the flights only when animal attendants etc were on board or on every flight!?

Maybe WILCO you can ask from the old guys... if there are still some around...   

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 4):
there is assistance from the jumpseaters though

as per my experience it's the other way around... pilots helping me around  

[Edited 2008-08-09 04:56:06]
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

wilco737

Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:53 pm

Quoting DABZF (Reply 5):

I will ask them, but not that I know of. Only some freight attendants are on board from time to time. But they are not familar with the galley and usually we have to help them to find the stuff in there Big grin

But it has advantages not to have an F/A with you. The captain serves you diner Big grin In which job does your boss prepare the diner for you?  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

BMED

Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:36 pm

On a similar note I noticed on a facebook photo that EK had 2 flight attendants on a delivery flight. Do all airlines do this as well cause I heard that every 20 minutes they have to walk through the cabin to check for smoke/fire etc. Felt a bit sorry for them as they had to wear full uniform!
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

DABZF

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:28 pm

Quoting DABZF (Reply 5):

...just to make sure... with that I meant if there are still some old 742 pilots around who might remember the old times  Smile
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

wilco737

Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:28 pm

Quoting DABZF (Reply 8):
...just to make sure... with that I meant if there are still some old 742 pilots around who might remember the old times Smile

Oh, we still have a lot of DC8 Cargo pilots at LH Cargo  Wink They are nearly 65 years old Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

dc863

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:18 am

BOAC had FA's for the flight crews on their 707 cargo aircraft.

SQ25J

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Almost positive LH had them. Their former 742F's had (12) J seats, (5: 3+2 in cockpit), and A FA JUMPSEAT in upperdeck cabin. Furthermore the galley, (rear bulkhead), was very large and had containers that could hold 3-4 meals for 18 people, etc.
They also had an emergency briefing card, (similar to that found on pax AC).

NW had them....possibly until mid 90's. Discovery Channel had a documentary long time ago that showed a NW cargo flight....they showed/mentioned a FA onboard to serve.

Not sure, but possibly Asian carriers JAL, CX.

Also perhaps Cargolux...long time ago.

PhilSquares

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:16 pm

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 11):
NW had them....possibly until mid 90's. Discovery Channel had a documentary long time ago that showed a NW cargo flight....they showed/mentioned a FA onboard to serve

I can categorically say it's wrong. I used to work for NW and there were never any flight attendants on the freighters.

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 11):
Almost positive LH had them. Their former 742F's had (12) J seats, (5: 3+2 in cockpit), and A FA JUMPSEAT in upperdeck cabin. Furthermore the galley, (rear bulkhead), was very large and had containers that could hold 3-4 meals for 18 people, etc.
They also had an emergency briefing card, (similar to that found on pax AC).

On the 744Fs that are with SQ, there are 6 seats in the upper deck, a galley with space for all meals plus 2 jumpseats on the flight deck. There are no flight attendants there. Just because there are seats and a galley doesn't mean anything. When we take "supernumerary" crew (read couriers, groom, etc.) there are no flight attendants. We give them a safety brief, show them how to work the galley and they're on their own.
Fly fast, live slow

SQ25J

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:07 pm

With all due respect......

I am 99% certain I remebered the Disc Channel documentary on NWA Cargo..."Around the World..Cargo"..something like that.... that they had a FA. Perhaps it was JUST FOR THAT SHOW/SEGMENT....As mentioned the show was a long time ago and I have not seen since.

With LH.....I stated there was, (still is in current operators). a FA JUMPSEAT. If no FA was going to ever be utilized they would most likely tear it out or not even put there in first place!!
(General rule of thumb with freighters....whatever is not necessary is removed to save weight).

I just mentioned there was, (is), a very large galley on fromer LH 742F's COMPARED to other 741, 742, and 744F's I have been on.

I am aware that virtualy all freighters today are "self-service"....and that the operating crew will brief any riders on emergency procedures and galley operations.

PhilSquares

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 pm

Quoting SQ25J (Reply 13):
With all due respect......

I am 99% certain I remebered the Disc Channel documentary on NWA Cargo..."Around the World..Cargo"..something like that.... that they had a FA. Perhaps it was JUST FOR THAT SHOW/SEGMENT....As mentioned the show was a long time ago and I have not seen since.

I left NWA in 1996 and in my 14 years there, I can guarantee you there was never a single flight attendant on any cargo flight. I can say that with 100% certainty!

In fact, NWA was so cheap, on the freighters the galleys did not even have a coffee maker. So, if you think Donald Nyrop, Steven Rothmier or Checci and Wilson would have ever paid for a flight attendant on a freighter you are sadly mistaken.
Fly fast, live slow

isitsafenow

Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:49 pm

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 14):
So, if you think Donald Nyrop, Steven Rothmier or Checci and Wilson would have ever paid for a flight attendant on a freighter you are sadly mistaken.

"Uncle Donnie" Nyrop's regime sent CLE an error notice once saying we use too many staples in reports we sent to the G.O.(General Office--MSP) and a note"...how staples cost the company $XXX a year....".
I'M NOT KIDDING!!!!
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

wilco737

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Maybe it is even good that there are no F/As on cargo planes. I am happy when I can get up every now and then and stretch my legs in the galley. And then I am alone back there, walking up and down the galley, get something to drink... And not sitting on my seat for so long. I know I could do all that with the F/A in the galley as well... But it is ok the way it is. I like it.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane