rjpieces
Topic Author

Brooklyn Marriott:Why Lots Of Airline Crews There?

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:43 pm

I just stayed there and was surprised to see the airline crews of three major international long-haul airlines there. I won't say which airlines because I know that some people here are sensitive to posting that information, but I was surprised because the Brooklyn Marriott, while an ok hotel, is in the middle of a fairly boring area close to a not-so-nice area. It is easy to get into the Manhattan, for sure, but I was still surprised to see major international airlines putting their crews here.

Maybe I am wrong, and crews love it...Which is why I posted this thread!
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

wilco737

RE: Brooklyn Marriott:Why Lots Of Airline Crews Th

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Quoting Rjpieces (Thread starter):
It is easy to get into the Manhattan, for sure, but I was still surprised to see major international airlines putting their crews here.

Many hotels in Manhatten don't want to have airline crews in their hotels. Airlines don't pay as good as regular guests and in Manhatten you can fill up the rooms easy with normal guests.
NYC is tricky. We changed our hotel on a monthly base because the hotel stopped the contract....
Our passenger crews aren't in Manhatten anymore, we LH Cargo crew still are. But we are only 2 or 3 guys and not 2 FRA and one MUC crew...

wilco737

lhr380

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:48 pm

I just stayed there and was surprised to see the airline crews of three major international long-haul airlines there. I won't say which airlines because I know that some people here are sensitive to posting that information, but I was surprised because the Brooklyn Marriott, while an ok hotel, is in the middle of a fairly boring area close to a not-so-nice area. It is easy to get into the Manhattan, for sure, but I was still surprised to see major international airlines putting their crews here.

The Marriott will probably be giving the airlines a very very good rate for crews staying there. An airline will look for a number of things in a crew hotel, and one thing is price.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

DashTrash

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:55 pm

The US Open going on sucks up a lot of hotels in the area as well.

wilco737

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:56 pm

Quoting LHR380 (Reply 2):
and one thing is price.

Exactly. But they look as well if the hotel is quiet (so that you can sleep during day), what kind of area the hotel is in, what about crew transport usw usw...
Of course I as crew like being near downtown so that I can do a lot by foot or using the subway and don't waste a lot of time to get into the city. So I can use the bit of time I have in the city and not on the train towards downtown.

I heard the Marriott in Brooklyn is quite nice. And it doesn't take too long to get to downtown.

We had a hotel on Long Island, it was nice with the landscape, but took forever to get to downtown...  crazy 

wilco737

ltbewr

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:07 pm

The Marriott Brooklyn is in the 'downtown' area of Brooklyn, near what is called 'Metrotech', complex of buildings that have or were supposed to have, a number of facilities for the financial services 'wall street' companies, including several banks. It is also not far from the State and Federal court facilities, local and other government facilities. I don't think this better quality hotel ever became utilized as expected so they probably can offer a good rate. There may be transit time and transportation costs saved by staying in Brooklyn vs. Manhattan as well as being away from the airport but not too far.

afterburner

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:38 pm

is in the middle of a fairly boring area close to a not-so-nice area

That makes the hotel cheap. Isn't that obvious?  Smile

dmt52

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:42 pm

I think price is the major factor. I once was at a hotel right next to Orange County Airport in Santa Anna and a large international airline crew stayed there. I know SNA was right next door, but this crew flew out of LAX and that was a good 45 minute drive from LAX.
Go Green! Go White!

PVG

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:56 am

Actually it's probably a good compromise between price and location. If I were a crew member without a car, I certainly would prefer this hotel over staying in LI near JFK. There's some good food options nearby. There are all the new restaurants and cafes on Smith street. Very nice options for mid-east food on Atlantic avenue over by Henry St., and on Montague St. there's a good Greek place, and some interesting shopping. Plus, you can get to anywhere in Manhattan in 15-20 mins. by subway.

So, overall, not a bad compromise I'd say.

flyguy1

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:59 am

I work at the Brooklyn Marriott, and know which airlines stay there, I see them everyday. The hotel is really nice, and it is very close to Manhattan obviously. Downtown Brooklyn between to the west of the hotel (facing Manhattan) , is a very nice area. Lots of nice walk-ups, and good restaurants going towards the promenade.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

socalfive

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:33 am

It's all done by BID and contract based on many criteria. I know the deal set up for V-Australia crews down in Long Beach.

idlewild

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:14 am

The Brooklyn Marriott is close to the East River Bridges, BQE and LIRR/Atlantic Ave as well. Great for Manhattan to EWR, LGA and JFK respectively. As far it being in the boring section, all you need do is walk a few blocks to Smith Street, or some more blocks to Park Slope and you'll be fine.

levg79

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:42 am

Wouldn't you waste a lot of time in traffic on the way to and from JFK? The BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway) has had construction for at least the past 10 years and it's still going strong. Wouldn't it make more sense for crews to stay in one of the hotels near JFK? Or are airlines trying to accomodate their employees and put them in a more premium location?
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

wilco737

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:54 am

Quoting Levg79 (Reply 12):
Wouldn't it make more sense for crews to stay in one of the hotels near JFK?

Of course it would be better to stay directly at the airport. You can save the transport and we crews can just walk over to the airplane... But then many crews will complain Big grin
We want to be closer to the city and don't live near the airport. It can be pretty noisy there which is really annoying and getting food is more expensive as well. Going out for diner at the airport is more expensive than in the cities. And we spend a lot of time around airplanes or in airplanes and at airports so that at least during our time off at the destination we want to see something different.
And I doubt that the airport hotels are really cheap. I guess they have high fares as well.

wilco737

TurkishWings

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:09 am

Having airline crews in a hotel is too much work for too little money:

- Early arrivals (at no additional cost)
- Late departures (at no additional cost)
- Early breakfast
- You need o provide certain free bees (local phone calls, free minibar etc) and discounts
- Crews spend less money in a hotel than your standard hotel guest so limited extra revenue
- Not being able to sell rooms for higher rates at black out dates (city wide conferences and sports events etc)
Coffee - Tea or Me?

DC10Widebody

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:47 pm

Quoting Dmt52 (Reply 7):

Quoting Dmt52 (Reply 7):
I once was at a hotel right next to Orange County Airport in Santa Anna and a large international airline crew stayed there.

I know which hotel you speak of and finding it interesting that the hotel puts that on their website as part of the ambiance, I wonder how that certain European airline feels about that.
Cheers thanks a lot.