Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

initious
Topic Author

Fifth Freedom Monopoly Routes

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Fifth freedom routes around the world are aplenty and allows aviation enthusiasts like us to fly on exotic aircrafts and airlines. However, most fifth freedom routes are also very popular routes such as BKK-HKG, SYD-AKL, MUC-MAN, FCO-MAD, HKG-TPE just to name a few. There must be a small number of fifth freedom routes that is held monopoly by the foreign airline offering it.

The only fifth freedom monopoly route that I can think of would be SQ DME-IAH on the 77W. Are there anymore fifth freedom routes held by only the foreign airline and none by the local airline(s)?

List:
SQ DME-IAH 77W

[Edited 2011-06-02 12:23:43]
One day I will fly around the world!

lppr95

RE: Fifth Freedom Monopoly Routes

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Quoting initious (Thread starter):
List:
SQ DME-IAH 77W

SQ BCN-GRU 77W
"Cathay 018, expect very late landing clearance, 747 departing ahead", tower said.

Birdwatching

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:20 pm

The term "Monopoly" might be a bit misleading, because it implies that all other competitors are banned from competing on the route.

What you mean is, there is no other airline who flies the route, but there is nothing really that KEEPS them from doing it, they just don't?

If that's the case, BCN-GRU on Singapore would be in that list.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Eltomzo

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:03 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 2):
The term "Monopoly" might be a bit misleading, because it implies that all other competitors are banned from competing on the route.

A monopoly is simply a market in which one producer controls a large amount of the market (definition varies from 25% upwards).

Viscount724

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:05 am

Fifth freedom routes around the world are aplenty

Actually, they're very few compared to a few decades ago when aircraft lacked the range to fly much more than 3,000 or 4,000 miles nonstop.

Quoting lppr95 (Reply 1):
SQ BCN-GRU 77W

SQ won't be alone for long. IB begins twice-weekly service BCN-GRU on June 19.

NZ107

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:35 am

The only fifth freedom monopoly route that I can think of would be SQ DME-IAH on the 77W. Are there anymore fifth freedom routes held by only the foreign airline and none by the local airline(s)?

NZ operates RAR-LAX and used to operate APW-LAX too along with some other island hopping flights such as TBU-RAR and RAR-APW I think.

FJ operates APW-HNL.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

SA7700

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:03 pm

MH operates CPT-EZE-CPT...  

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

sw733

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 5):
NZ operates RAR-LAX and used to operate APW-LAX too along with some other island hopping flights such as TBU-RAR and RAR-APW I think.

Just curious how the fifth freedom rules work since Cook Islands is officially part of NZ? I know it's a bit different and the Cooks have a large degree of independence, but it's still officially New Zealand.

yeogeo

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:37 am

There's KE's LAX-GRU.

yeo

kiwiandrew

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:56 am

Quoting sw733 (Reply 7):
Just curious how the fifth freedom rules work since Cook Islands is officially part of NZ? I know it's a bit different and the Cooks have a large degree of independence, but it's still officially New Zealand .

Really? As a New Zealander that is news to me. The Cook Islands do get a lot of aid from us, and I believe New Zealand accepts responsibility for their defence ( not sure who from, but that is another question entirely) , but to the best of my knowledge they are not part of New Zealand.

Back on the topic, a route that has disappeared now , but a few years ago RG used to operate LAX-NGO and I don't think any US or Japanese carriers operated it at the time.

Also, for a while , when AR had ceased intercontinental flying QF used to operate SYD-AKL-EZE which made them, at the time the only carrier on AKL-EZE.

[Edited 2011-06-03 17:59:58]

kiwiandrew

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:35 am

I think that 9Ws BRU-YYZ flight might also count ( AC operates BRU-YUL-YYZ but that is a bit different)

ojas

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:17 pm

I would add:

ET: DEL - HGH
DL: BOM - AMS (I hope it qualifies)
CI: DEL - FCO
9W: BRU-YYZ as mentioned above
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

Viscount724

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:22 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 9):
Back on the topic, a route that has disappeared now , but a few years ago RG used to operate LAX-NGO and I don't think any US or Japanese carriers operated it at the time.

Lots of routes like that in years gone by. JL was the only nonstop operator YVR-MEX for quite a while (after CP dropped the route). And going back further to the 1950s/60s, CP was the only nonstop carrier MEX-LIM for several years, with 5th freedom rights on their YVR-MEX-LIM-SCL-EZE route. IB also had the only nonstop service YUL-MEX for some time when they operated MAD-YUL-MEX.

And from the mid-1950s until 1967 when CP and Western Airllines obtained traffic rights YVR-SFO, QF was the only nonstop operator on that route, and only once a week with a YVR tag-on to one of their SFO flights. As a sidenote, QF was the first carrier with jet service to YVR when they replaced the L-1049G with the 707-138 on that SFO-YVR tag-on in September 1959.

For a couple of years in the early/mid-1970s QF switched their YVR service from the SFO tag-on to a YVR-PPT-SYD routing using the 707-338C (twice a week if memory correct). Their 5th freedom service YVR-PPT during that period remains the only service ever on that route. It was also YVR's longest nonstop at the time, 60 nm further than CP's YVR-AMS route.