Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YYZRWY23
Topic Author

Questions About Air Tran Business Class

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:30 am

Hello,

I may be travelling on Air Tran in a few weeks. I plan on flying FLL-BUF and will be booking economy. Now, it only lets you buy at lowest economy (T fare) and lowest business class.

When looking at the travel info section, I saw that upgrades to Biz Class are available (if there are open seats). It says, and I quote: "All from just $49 to $129 over our very affordable full coach fare (Y class)". Does this mean you pay up to Y then the upgrade price, or just the $49-$129? Now, I will be flying two segments so I would paying double but that is moot.

Does anyone have any info on this or have done the upgrade on FL?

Thanks,

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

PI4EVER

RE: Questions About Air Tran Business Class

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:58 pm

In my experience, the offer to upgrade was available at the point of OLCI 24 hours in advance of flight time, and at the airport gate. Announcements are made that upgrades are available for X amount of $ if seats are vacant. I have not flown FL in the last year, but my last trip in June, 2010 was a TPA-ATL-SAN that I paid $99 plus tax for and upgraded both segments at the point of OLCI. A friend recently flew MCO-ATL-STL and upgraded both segments for $98.
I recall a previous disclaimer that offered upgrades to any Y fare for these per segment prices so hopefully that has not changed and you'll get the upgrade offer for the stated per segment fee. Maybe give FL a call to clarify with an agent.
If you do upgrade, avoid row 1. Comfortable seat, but restricted legroom due to bulkhead. Row 2 is the best, and row 3 is OK but less private because only a half curtain separates the seat from the first row in coach.
A good value since you get pre-board, first off, free bag check, a comfortable seat and complimentary beer, wine and cocktails....if you're old enough! FL crews are friendly and attentive.
Enjoy the ride!
watch what you want. you may get it.

YYZRWY23
Topic Author

RE: Questions About Air Tran Business Class

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Quoting PI4EVER (Reply 1):
I recall a previous disclaimer that offered upgrades to any Y fare for these per segment prices so hopefully that has not changed and you'll get the upgrade offer for the stated per segment fee.

This makes more sense, and would apply to just paying per segment. I don't understand that part about the full fare Y as it isn't even a booking option on the FL site. I may call FL if I get the chance to find out.

but my last trip in June, 2010 was a TPA-ATL-SAN that I paid $99 plus tax for and upgraded both segments at the point of OLCI. A friend recently flew MCO-ATL-STL and upgraded both segments for $98.

I don't know if you recall, but did you book lowest economy? I only see that and lowest business as option for purchase on the site. Maybe the full Y fare is an old option and they haven't updated it.

If you do upgrade, avoid row 1. Comfortable seat, but restricted legroom due to bulkhead. Row 2 is the best, and row 3 is OK but less private because only a half curtain separates the seat from the first row in coach.

Thanks for the advice. I had already gone to seat guru and knew row 2 is where I want to be for the best seating. At this point, with my potential departure only three weeks away, business class is empty on both flights, so I hope I get my pick.

A good value since you get pre-board, first off, free bag check, a comfortable seat and complimentary beer, wine and cocktails....if you're old enough!

I usually just carry-on my bag, but I am certainly happy about the complimentary premium beverages and having a more comfortable seat. I am old enough in Canada, but not the US. Let's see if I can get myself a beer or two anyways.  

I look forward to flying them if I go away, thanks for the reply!

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.