Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CPHFF
Topic Author

Duxford Or Brooklands Museum?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 am

Hi All,

I'll be spending 2 weeks in the UK in summer 2013, and me and my plane-crazy 7 year old son want to spend a day at an air museum. From your own experience, which museum is the best? Duxford or Brooklands?

I'm more in to Airliners than WWII planes.

Any feedback or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Per
If it weren't for UAW, Detroit would shine!

CrimsonNL

RE: Duxford Or Brooklands Museum?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 am

Brooklands is a very nice museum with lots of Vickers history, and accessible planes. You can easily spend a few hours here and it's worth a visit.

Duxford is a massive museum where you'll need the greater part of the day to see everything. They have an extremely interesting collection with almost every plane that has been significant to British aviation, along with a collection of American military planes. They do have quite a large collection of civil airplanes, including some heavy propliners and a prototype of the Concorde.

If you have the time, and are willing to spend it, I'd recommend Duxford. If you are on a tighter schedule, then Brooklands is a better idea. Brooklands is also quite easily accessible by train from downtown London. (I don't know about Duxford access, as the only time I was there I flew in on a DC3).

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Bongodog1964

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:05 pm

If you are using public transport, the only bus service to Duxford is on Sundays, otherwise its a taxi from Cambridge or Royston. Despite this I would thoroughly recommend a visit, the museum is so vast that few people wouldn't be able to occupy their day there.

NZ107

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:01 pm

I went to Duxford last month. We took a bus to the middle of nowhere and was told that there was a separate bus which continued to the museum. After waiting for about 45 minutes for that one to come and figured it was never going to come, we decided to walk the few miles to get there. Luckily, there is a walkway to get there.. Taxi would be the best way if you didn't have a rental car.. It's a flat fee to Duxford from Cambridge - I can't remember if it was GBP20 or 30 one way. The staff at the shop are very helpful so you can get them to call a taxi when you're done. Otherwise there's a sightseeing hop on hop off bus for Cambridge during the summer and that makes its way out to Duxford. GBP16 by memory but we decided to go for the public transport option which failed!

It's such a good museum - it has gems such as the SR-71 Blackbird, Concorde, B52, VC10, Viscount, Trident, U2, Ju-52, Comet, Handley Page Herald.. The list goes on and on. I haven't been to Brooklands but I can definitely recommend Duxford.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

AirbusA6

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Duxford is definitely recommended, for all these museums it's worth checking the schedule as sometimes there are special events on, sometimes with more access to the insides of the airliners.

Brooklands has other transport related stuff as well (the historic motor racing circuit, and a bus museum)

The RAF museum at Hendon is a military museum, but has a good collection and is on the Tube so a lot easier to get to!
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

signol

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:42 pm

I've not been to Brooklands but have to Duxford. It's 1.5 miles / 2km from Whittlesford station, with an off road footpath, about 30 mins walk. Look it up on Google Earth. Well worth a visit  

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

jetjack74

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:43 am

Quoting CPHFF (Thread starter):

Then I would suggest the Brooklands myself. Easier to get to, more centered around the VC10, And while Duxford might have a better collection(and ive been to both, I felt I got more out of the Brooklands. The volunteers there were extremely proud of what they had, and the centrepiece, Delta-Gulf, was an amazing story. They allowed me to sit in the flight deck of both Concorde, and VC10, something that never would've happened at Duxford.
Made from jets!

NZ107

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:04 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 6):
They allowed me to sit in the flight deck of both Concorde, and VC10, something that never would've happened at Duxford.

Wow.. How long ago was this?
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

CrimsonNL

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 6):
They allowed me to sit in the flight deck of both Concorde, and VC10, something that never would've happened at Duxford.

This is true, while I didn't get to sit in the Concorde cockpit, I did get to enjoy the VC-10, Harrier and Vanguard flight deck!

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 7):
Wow.. How long ago was this?

In my case it was October 2010.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

rwy04lga

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:07 am

From Cambridge train station there was a bus that went straight to Duxford. Brooklands is for my next trip.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

CPHFF
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:10 am

Thank you very much for your feedback. I've shown them to my wife (and promised her a shopping spree), so now I get to spend a day at both places. Luckily, we will be traveling by car for the 2 weeks.

Once again, thanks for your input.

Per
If it weren't for UAW, Detroit would shine!

HT

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Quoting CPHFF (Thread starter):

Just in case WWI-planes would appeal to you, the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden (about 3 miles west of Biggleswade) would be the non plus ultra.
From London it is straight north on A1(M) past Stevenage and Baldock.
-HT

EDIT:
If in the area of Stevenage / Baldock and looking for a distraction of an hour or two, consider to give the Stondon Motor Museum a try. It is located in Lower Stondon, a short distance south of RAF Henlow.
-HT

[Edited 2012-11-12 11:07:29]
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !