Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FARmd90
Topic Author

FBO Or 4yr School For Pilots?

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:11 pm

So I'm just looking to get everyone's opinion and suggestions/ideas. I've been thinking about becoming a pilot for a very long time and think I've finally convinced myself and parents to let me do it.
Now the question that I'm trying to figure out is if I should do all my flying at a FBO or go to a 4 year school. Do airlines prefer one over the other, is there any benefit to do one over the other? Or should I do a combination
of both? I have already graduated college with a 2yr degree with generals out of the way, so that will help with some of the cost at a 4yr, but not really sure if that will make a difference or not.

UltimateDelta

RE: FBO Or 4yr School For Pilots?

Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Quoting FARmd90 (Thread starter):
Do airlines prefer one over the other, is there any benefit to do one over the other?

I don't know about preference per se, but there are some big advantages to the 4-year university route. Mine, for example, has agreements with several regional carriers (Envoy and SkyWest that I know of, and possibly others) where if you get your instrument, commercial, and multi-engine ratings here, you get, among other things, a large signing bonus and the opportunity to do preliminary interviews starting as a sophomore. Additionally, there are arrangements where you can instruct for the program until those airlines need you to fly for them, at which point you can essentially flow through to them without needing to interview again (and subsequently those airlines can have flow-through agreements with majors, as well). Perhaps the most important thing is that with a degree from a suitably FAA-approved program, you can get a restricted ATP at 1,000 hours. With regards to a combination of both, a friend of mine got his private and instrument ratings elsewhere and can't get his until 1,250 hours (which is still of course less than the standard 1,500, but does set him back a little further). Of course, by doing this you're kind of putting all your eggs in one basket if for whatever reason you're not able to make a career out of it, but if you get involved early on, you stand the best chance of being able to take advantage of those benefits. That's what I can tell you about that based on my experience, and I'm sure others will weigh in with their perspectives as well. Best of luck in your decision!  
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

jetblueguy22

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:45 pm

I went the 4 year route because it gave me an opportunity to attend college and get my degree, along with working to get my license and ratings at the same time. It just made sense. But I will warn you about going to a 4 year. Your degree and generals out the way will help. But it doesn't mean you can get it done in 2 or even 3 years. The way it is set up at my school, if you go for a Commercial degree you have to do 8 flight courses, and you can't do two flight courses a semesters. So you actually have to do 4 years. Or you can stay in the summer, and with some flight courses you can knock out 2 in a summer. But not all of them, at least at my school.

If you have questions about the 4 year program at UND, shoot me a PM and I can answer any question you may have.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

flymia

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:21 am

The two reasons for the 4 year program that have the biggest advantage are below:

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 1):
has agreements with several regional carriers (Envoy and SkyWest that I know of, and possibly others)
Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 1):
Perhaps the most important thing is that with a degree from a suitably FAA-approved program, you can get a restricted ATP at 1,000 hours. With regards to a combination of both, a friend of mine got his private and instrument ratings elsewhere and can't get his until 1,250 hours (which is still of course less than the standard 1,500, but does set him back a little further)

The less hours is big, (just pure money and politics) but a big advantage.

The negative? I guess if you go to a 4 year and end up not liking flying you can switch your major. Remember flying is a lifestyle not just a job. You really need to make sure it is for you.

The biggest negative is if you get a degree in "flying" and for some reason the pilot thing does not work out then what? Lots of things can happen in one's career that the flying stops, whether medical, legal, economics or just losing the passion for the job. You just need to weigh the options. In 2006 when I was looking into it every pilot I knew said I was crazy to get a degree in flying. I was also never planning on attending grad school. If I knew I was going to grad school after college I think I would had done it. The pilot career track is looking slightly brighter these days. Ask pilots, ask the schools, ask the local FBOs, ask anyone and everyone you can for their opinion and then make your decision. There are negatives and positives to this track. Maybe you could find a school that would give you time to double major or at least minor in something else, even if it is aviation management.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

FARmd90
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:51 pm

I sent you a PM Jetblueguy

thegman

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:34 pm

FBO or Military is my personal preference.

TWA772LR

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:50 am

I'd go with the FBO but still go to college and get a real degree. You never know when another recession will happen or another 9/11 (God forbid). Its always good to have a fall back. A lot of pilots have engineering degrees and most military pilots do.

And if you're serious about this, the military is the best option. You get literally the best training, military experience and hours, and every employer loves veterens and more so for veterens that were pilots.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

FARmd90
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Thank you all for the replies, I think I've come down to that I'll go to a 4yr and just do a major that I like as my back up and do my flying as a minor.
Now I just need to commit to PB&J's, Pop-Tarts and Ramen Noodles for the next 10 or so years of my life and I'll be all set!

klm672

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Yup- major in anything but aviation (eg like business) and minor in aviation, or see if you can take flying electives.

flymia

Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 6):
And if you're serious about this, the military is the best option.

Only go to the military if you want to be in the military not just to fly. You will be an officer in the armed forces, you are a solider first. If you have the passion for it, it is a great way to fly.

Quoting FARmd90 (Reply 7):

Thank you all for the replies, I think I've come down to that I'll go to a 4yr and just do a major that I like as my back up and do my flying as a minor.
Now I just need to commit to PB&J's, Pop-Tarts and Ramen Noodles for the next 10 or so years of my life and I'll be all set!

That is a good logical choice.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

jetblueguy22

Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:11 am

One thing you can also do is get a degree in Aviation Management. That's what I ended up doing. Like others have said having a fall back in case flying doesn't work out is the best move. My degree is basically like a Business Degree for someone who wants to fly. Your business classes aren't focused on Aviation. You're with other business students. But you gain the knowledge needed to fly or run a business. It works out well if you want to eventually want to run a corporate flight department.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

KaiGywer

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:18 am

Another thing to keep in mind, you can get a part time job at an FBO and get discounts on flight time. I work at an FBO part time, and I get a HUGE discount on rentals (slightly over cost) and instruction.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an