747to380to787
Topic Author

Etihad Cabin Bags Size Chaos At DFW

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:38 pm

Yesterday I went to drop my family at DFW airport. This was first time they flew Etihad. We reached 3 hours before flight time but line was long and was not moving at all. I went in front to check and found out Etihad staff were checking bag size using a steal cage of allowed bag size!!! The reason line was not moving because 75-80% Adult travelers cabin bag did not fit in that small frame. I waited long enough to find out that Etihad Staff did not allow bags which fit in that box but was little bit wider in middle due to items in bag!!! Lot of older people were confused and did not know what to do. They did not have any other way to get new bag which will fit in that mettle measuring frame box. All of the bag they rejected were standard carry on bag available in USA. Fortunately, my daughter was carrying her tiny carry on bag (which is half the size of adult carry on bag you can buy in Macy's or JCP). It did fit in that measuring box frame barely   Even though we went through in that size checking, I talked to Etihad staff member to find out why they are rejecting most of bags. As all the bags they had been rejecting were same size as mine which I have been carrying around world. I have flown most of USA and European carrier + many times on Emirates too and I have not seen any airline rejecting my cabin bag! Response from Etihad staff was very rude "This is not your USA based airline" and "Our rules are what we feel is right"!!!! He responded like that to me even if our bags were fine. It was very unprofessional behavior and I was very surprised as it was Etihad staff and not some low budget airline.

All those passengers whose bags got rejected were asked to pay $300 to check in their bags!!!! That is $300 for 15 lb ( ~ 7.0 KG) bag. Some of those poor guys had to pay $300, some were calling their relatives in town to help and some were looking around for plastic carry on bags around airport   It was chaos and obviously flight was delayed.

Not sure Etihad does this at all airport but if you are flying out of DFW, make sure you buy smallest carry on bag available based on size on Etihad website. When you measure, include size of bag wheels in total size. Standard carry on bag which you carried on all airlines around the world will not work!

I though I will share with all of you so you do not get into this mess.

kiwiandrew

RE: Etihad Cabin Bags Size Chaos At DFW

Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:40 am

In my experience, a lot of locations around the world have a frame which hand luggage must fit into. I have certainly seen them in New Zealand and in Australia.

It seems to me quite a sensible arrangement as oversize/overweight items can be a hazard, and when some travellers take hand luggage which is too large, there is often not enough space left in the overhead bins to accommodate everyone else's luggage. The more crowded the cabin, the more miserable the experience.

While I personally won't touch EY/EK/QR etc I was under the impression that they are pretty generous with checked luggage, so there is not the same 'need' to carry everything in the cabin as there may be on other carriers.

I don't think there was any justification for them to be to you rude about it ( although I am not sure that advising you that their rules differ from US airlines is, in itself, actually rude).

HGL

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:51 am

Quoting 747to380to787 (Thread starter):
Standard carry on bag which you carried on all airlines around the world will not work!

Part of the problem is that there is no "standard" size that applies to all airlines. Some airlines allow 5 kg carry-on, others 7 kg. Even with check in baggage, different rules apply both geographically and between airlines. In some places you have a weight allowance, while in others there is a piece allowance. As long as the passenger reads what the allowance is and sticks to it there shouldn't be a problem. Sadly that often isn't the case.

"Our rules are what we feel is right"!!!!

In that Etihad is right: their airline, their cabin baggage rules agreed to at the time of making a reservation. (I won't comment on the tone of voice used as I wasn't there to hear it.)

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 1):
EY/EK/QR etc I was under the impression that they are pretty generous with checked luggage,

Emirates is generous in their checked-in baggage but despite that I have noticed during transit in Dubai staff going around the departure gate lounges checking to see if carry-on bags are overweight/ size.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

gabrielchew

Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:38 am

The hand baggage allowances are clearly stated on the EY website:

http://www.etihad.com/en-gb/before-y...ly/baggage-information/allowances/

"Each item must not exceed dimensions of 115 cm (40x50x25)." For Y its 1 x 7kg, F/J its 2 bags, max 12kg total

If the pax had more than this, then they are liable to pay for excess baggage if they've already used their generous (in Y, 2 x 23kg) allowance. It's the responsibilty for the passenger to check the airlines' rules, NOT the airline to tell everyone.

Quoting HGL (Reply 2):

Part of the problem is that there is no "standard" size that applies to all airlines. Some airlines allow 5 kg carry-on, others 7 kg. Even with check in baggage, different rules apply both geographically and between airlines

Exactly. In the UK, U2 has NO hand baggage max weight (you must be able to lift it), and BA has a 23kg weight limit for hand luggage. Thomson, meanwhile, is 5kg.

Response from Etihad staff was very rude "This is not your USA based airline" and "Our rules are what we feel is right"!!!!

The EY staff clearly need to change their attitude when dealing with customers, although I find it strange that they haven't found a faster way to communicate the allowances, and to check people in in a timely manner.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

lapper

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:44 am

Quoting HGL (Reply 2):
In that Etihad is right: their airline, their cabin baggage rules agreed to at the time of making a reservation.

This.

I've seen people carrying huge cases as hand luggage, a recent DL flight I took a guy had one and a wheely laptop case, came to his waist. It's about time all airlines enforced the maximum sizes or made it easier (cheaper) for people to check bags.

bennett123

Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:21 pm

How long have they flown to DFW.

Also, have their rules changed recently.

Have you tried complaining to the airline.

747to380to787
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Quoting HGL (Reply 2):
In that Etihad is right: their airline, their cabin baggage rules agreed to at the time of making a reservation.

I agree. Thats how it is with all other airlines too but I guess that's where "Good customer service" comes in. As I said our bags were fine and still he responded like that, think about how he would have talked to customer who had bag issues. I wish I had recorded that conversation. Although I had time and was waiting, I took many pictures of travelers and their rejected bags.

Quoting HGL (Reply 2):
(I won't comment on the tone of voice used as I wasn't there to hear it.)

Well, No matter how nice your tone is when you talk to customer and use those words... its would feel bad.

On Etihad website it says...

"The allowances below are for all Fare Choices. Each item must not exceed dimensions of 115 cm (40x50x25)."
http://www.etihad.com/en/before-you-...ly/baggage-information/allowances/

I can understand 115cm but what they were doing was they were enforcing dimension limit rule. If not impossible, it will be really hard to get exact 40x50x25 size bag. Even if you find one, it is very likely after you pack your stuff dimension may not remain same. I remember a bag which was little bit wider but way less in height, which they rejected.

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 1):
I don't think there was any justification for them to be to you rude about it

Think about those passengers whose loooong journey started in this bad experiance.

Specially for Etihad, as they are trying to get in huge American market and they advertise that they have better customer service, they could have handled it nicely in many different ways. Oh and I just found that Etihad is getting delayed every other day in DFW. I would guess same bag size issue.

#Etihad - If you guys are reading these forums (Emirates does!!!) - "Good customer service is MUST to grow business, just saying you have good customer service in advertisement may not help in long term. Simple solution I would implement (If you are too firm with your size criteria) is keep big plastic carry on bags for customer to use in case you reject their hand bag." (Based on what I saw, Keep good stock of it!!!)

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 5):
How long have they flown to DFW.

- Since December 2014

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 5):
Also, have their rules changed recently.

Not aware of that. Their "Total" carry on bag dimension is same as American Airlines -115cm. Emirates Total size limt is 2 cm shorted than Etihad!!!!! But I have not encountered or heard any issue with carry on bags in Emirates.

bennett123

Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:39 pm

If they have flown the route since then, and the rules have not changed it is strange that so many get caught out.

RyanairGuru

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Thank God one airline is actually enforcing the bag rules! All airlines have maximum dimensions and have size framers on hand, but they are very inconsistently applied.

United do the same thing, but sadly only in an on-again-off-again kind of way. I once observed the process at IAD and people people were livid, but it isn't the airlines fault that they can't read simple directions (and by Group 5 a lot of bags are checked at the gate anyway so it is much fairer to indiscriminately check bags that are too large regardless of boarding position than penalise the person doing the right thing because Mr Group 1 wanted to take the kitchen sink with him, and it also speeds up the boarding process).

As to your carry on, get out a tape measure and measure the HxWxL and then compare it to the stated dimensions for the airline of your choice, I can *guarantee* you that it is too big.

This goes back to inconsistent application, if more airlines were willing to do the right thing and check oversized bags then this wouldn't be an issue as people would be more aware of the size requirements. As it is baggage manufacturers know that nobody is going to blame them when the nasty airline doesn't let their case that they advertised as "cabin size" into the cabin, so they wilfully make them too large to satisfy consumer demand.

When I bought my current rollaboard I noted down Qantas' baggage dimensions and their was precisely ONE out of a selection of 20+ which was the right size. At least next time some gets a sizer out I'll be fine and you'll be checking yours.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Jetsgo

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:41 am

$300 to check in their bags

Pardon me? $300 USD bag fee?
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

HGL

Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:01 am

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 9):

Travellers to/ from the US who hold an Economy ticket may check two bags of up to 23 kg each. If the passenger has already checked in their baggage allowance, they can purchase an additional allowance.

If a suitcase is at maximum weight allowance but still has space in it to pack additional items, a passenger may purchase an increase in allowance to 32 kg for USD99 per bag at the airport or USD84 through a Contact Centre.

For passengers travelling to/ from the US for the 3rd bag to 6th bag up to 23kg (all Fare Choices) the fee if paid at the airport is USD300. If you know that you are going to need the extra allowance you can pre-purchase on the Etihad web site at USD225 per bag or USD250 through a Contact centre.

[Edited 2016-06-11 02:19:33]
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

747to380to787
Topic Author

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 9):

Yes   

You already have 2 bag allowance for check in.

The one they were rejecting will be 3rd bag. And it is $300 USD for just 15 lb bag.

Quoting HGL (Reply 10):
For passengers travelling to/ from the US for the 3rd bag to 6th bag up to 23kg (all Fare Choices) the fee if paid at the airport is USD300. If you know that you are going to need the extra allowance you can pre-purchase on the Etihad web site at USD225 per bag or USD250 through a Contact centre.

Thats it.   

CrimsonNL

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Working with numerous European airlines, I generally find that the handbag size allowance is considerably smaller then in the USA. A lot of times when we deal with American pax inbound from the USA here in AMS they will bring along huge carry on bags which exceed the size limit by several inches and will have to be checked in (though usually free of charge)

We always get the "I take this on every flight" which is probably true in the US, but around in these parts the size allowance is smaller! A lot of the pax get really agitated. Honestly I think this just comes down to bad preparation of your travels. You should do your research on handbag size allowance and not just assume that it will be the same in other countries with different airlines.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

TruemanQLD

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:54 am

Jetstar (and I believe Tigerair) will have baggage officers at the gate for random Australian domestic flights. They will make an announcement roughly 45mins before departure time that they will be checking all bags and to come forward now if you have carry on. You then approach the gate, they will weigh your bag and if it is within the rules you get a special tag. If it is not then you can either pay $50 for it to be checked in or go and sort it out.

If you wait until boarding commences, they will pull you aside then and you do not have time then to reorganise so you have to pay $50 AND normally it won't be carried on that flight and it is your responsibility to collect it from the arrival airport when it does arrive.

Personally, I think that is a little harsh but I welcome the enforcement of the rules and they give you plenty of warning and opportunity to change so it isn't purely a money-grabbing exercise

coolian2

Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:07 am

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 13):
Jetstar (and I believe Tigerair) will have baggage officers at the gate for random Australian domestic flights. They will make an announcement roughly 45mins before departure time that they will be checking all bags and to come forward now if you have carry on. You then approach the gate, they will weigh your bag and if it is within the rules you get a special tag. If it is not then you can either pay $50 for it to be checked in or go and sort it out.

Funnily I tried to check a bag on a domestic NZ JQ flight. I couldn't be bothered carrying it and was happy to pay. It was too big (but clothes only so it got small fast) but the agent said because it was light it was better if I took it with me.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900