Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

baw2198
Topic Author

Aleron Trim, P28a-180

Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:41 pm

I flew last week from an airport just south of CID to marshfield wisconsin. During the whole flight, I had to continuously hold a small amount of right aleron to keep the thing level. There is no trim tab on the aleron itself, nor a trim wheel inside. I tried varying amounts of gas in the tanks to try and trim it a bit, no luck. If I ease off the pressure required on the yoke, she starts a left bank, about 3 degrees per second.
Is it something in the rigging? and is there anyway of correcting it easily (if not explain that to, as it would be interesting to find out whats involved).
"And remember, Keep your stick on the ice"--->Red Green

KAUSpilot

RE: Aleron Trim, P28a-180

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:34 pm

Sometimes there is a bendable tab on the trailing edge of the ailerons. Have a mechanic adjust those tabs if they are present. I can't remember off the top of my head if all PA28s have those or not.

Otherwise, the engine may just be producing more torque than you are accustomed to. The left turning tendencies created by the engine in the cherokee are a bit more pronounced than other aircraft (engine and propeller rotating to the right, aircraft rotates to the left, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction) however, 3 degrees/second during cruise seems a little excessive.

You might also check and see if there was some unknown baggage on the left side of the airplane. Many outfits put sandbags in the cargo area of their PA28's (COG forward of limits with just two pilots and full fuel).

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:35 pm

Use the rudder trim to get rid of the aileron pressure.  Smile YOull be slightly uncoordinated, but thatll do the trick.
Chicks dig winglets.

L-188

Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:12 pm

The fix involves that metal tab KAUSpilot mentioned and a leatherman.

Of course legally it takes an FAA licensed A&P to affect the repair.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

LimaFoxTango

Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:33 pm

Flying the PA28-161, i can say there are no fixed trim tabs on the Cherokee. i've had that problem as well, i conclude that its probably the fuel in one wing pulling that side down. i've even noticed it happens on the ground as well i.e. one wing up, one wing down.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

SUPRAZACHAIR

Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:18 am

Sounds like torque effect. I've flown the pa28-161 and -201R and there's moderate torque effect.

lowrider

Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:56 am

Most of the PA-28s I have flown have the above mentioned rudder trim located below and in front of the lower edge of the panel, in the middle of the aircraft. Barring getting the aircraft re-rigged, it is probably the easiest way to correct the problem. Turn it toward the rising wing. Hope this helps.
Proud OOTSK member

baw2198
Topic Author

Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:18 am

Thanks guys.

I'm going to fly this aircraft again next week to DSM so I'll try the rudder trim and see if that does it.

As far as the metal tabs on the wing go, none exist. Its a 1966 Cherokee cruiser 180 with the square wing.

Never heard of the sand bag thing in the baggage compartment, interesting that they do that.

Baw2198
"And remember, Keep your stick on the ice"--->Red Green

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:43 pm

After 800 hours of teaching in PA28's alone...trust me, the rudder trim defintiely works. Itll make your arms thank you after a long flight, thats for sure.

No metal tabs on pipers...
Chicks dig winglets.