Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

matt777
Topic Author

747 Two Level Boarding?

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:21 pm

As airports start to modify gates in order to keep up with the A380, once those are finished, will it be possible to board the 747-3/400 from the upper deck door? It will certainly reduce turnaround times and thus costs.

Regards,
Matias.

Starlionblue

RE: 747 Two Level Boarding?

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:39 pm

It doesn't seem very efficient since the upstairs doors are not very large and not many people sit there. Also, when you come down the stairs, you are in the "lobby" anyway.

What they will probably do is use two main deck doors, as they do today in many places..

SafetyDude

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:19 am

The Upper Deck doors cannot be used for boarding, as the evacuation slide is in the way. I will try to find some photos.

Smile
-Will

SafetyDude

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:22 am

Here we go:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Florian Kondziela

In that picture, you can see how the evacuation slide is in the way.

Smile
-Will

Leezyjet

Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:18 am

Have a look at this pic.

You can clearly see that the door opens upwards, and the slide pack is in the way so no chance of boarding through the U/D door as you couldn't open the door with a jet bridge attatched.

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Leezyjet

Just for info, I raised one of the new A380 bridges up to it's maximum height just after they got installed in T3 to see how high it went. It was quite amusing to see the look on the Capt's face as he taxiied past and I was at the same level as he was.  Laugh out loud

Smile

Msl747

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 am

So will the A380 be able to be boarded from the upper-deck? It would seem like it would take a long time to board all 200 odd pax upstairs if It couldn't.

-Msl747 Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Klaus

Msl747

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:36 am

Msl747: So will the A380 be able to be boarded from the upper-deck?

Yes.

Msl747: It would seem like it would take a long time to board all 200 odd pax upstairs if It couldn't.

Not necessarily. The first two pairs of doors are intended for single-level boarding of both decks: Passengers for the upper deck will board through the front door and climb the broad staircase to the upper deck; Passengers for the main deck will enter through the second door.

Dual-level-boarding will spare the passengers the stairs; That´s it. I´d expect that it still won´t be the stairs but the usual aisle congestion that will slow down boarding.

I´m not sure if any airport is yet planning to use both the two main deck doors (for accelerated main deck boarding) and the upper deck door...

Starlionblue

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:36 am

Yes you will able to board from both decks. Also, even if you only board from one door, the staircase is much wider than the one on the 744. And there is an extra staircase at the ass end.

SafetyDude

Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:19 am

I´m not sure if any airport is yet planning to use both the two main deck doors (for accelerated main deck boarding) and the upper deck door...
I do not believe that any airports are equipped with triple-jetways, although if they really wanted to, they could hook up the double-jetway to the main doors and use a jetway from the next gate to go to the right-side upper-deck door. Seeing as how few wide-bodies are boarded through two-doors, I doubt that we will see three doors being used.

Smile
-Will

matt777
Topic Author

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:36 pm

Thanks guys, anyway it is a thing to consider by Boeing if they launch an A380 competitor.
Regards from Italy  Laugh out loud