Evan767
Topic Author

Baggage Handling On Ground: How Does It Work?

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:39 am

Whenever I connect in ATL, I am dazzled at how my baggage can make a connection when they have to go from a 757 in Concourse T, to containers in the belly of a 777 in Concourse E, in 50 minutes time. My question is, how does it all work? Going from one aircraft belly to another?

I see the rampers unload the planes and toss the bags onto the carts that transport baggage throughout the airport, but how do they know what baggage goes where, and how do they get everyone's bag to their connecting gate in time? ATL is a huge airport and I don't understand how the ramp agents can get bags off a 738 coming in from DEN with connections all over the airport to places like PBI, MCO, RIC, JFK, JNB, CHS, SCL, etc.

I know that Delta stamps their baggage tags with the words HOT if you have under an hour connection. Do the HOT bags go on a seperate cart while, other bags sit their at the arriving plane, waiting to go on another cart later?

Do ramp agents have scanners to detect what gate the bags need to go to, or do they just glance at the bag tag and figure it out themselves?

Ughh..

It seems to be a very complicated process, ground handling, and I'd like to learn how it works. Thanks to you ground handlers at big airports like ATL, ORD, JFK, LAX, DFW, etc. that can give me any insight.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

Starlionblue

RE: Baggage Handling On Ground: How Does It Work?

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:05 am

There are all sorts of variants. One extreme is all manual. Simply guys reading the tags and putting the luggage in various bins/wagons. The other extreme is FRA, where luggage goes into the system and automatic conveyors sort and transport it to the right connecting gate/luggage claim. Scanners read the bar codes on the tags and route the luggage to its destination. And that's how FRA can "guarantee" your luggage will make that 45 minute connection.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

BAE146QT

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:01 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 1):
Scanners read the bar codes on the tags and route the luggage to its destination.

The complexity of such a system is mind boggling. Even if the agents load the bags on the belt facing roughly the same way, the barcode scanner must have to be able to cope with all sorts of angles and obscured labels. I can't help imagine that there must be human oversight of this system for when it chokes.

Quoting Evan767 (Thread starter):
but how do they know what baggage goes where,

A certain airport that I transit through quite frequently doesn't bother. What they do is rifle through your case, take anything of value (assuming you're stupid enough to leave anything valuable in there), drag the bag over some 120-grit glasspaper, slash all the straps with a box cutter, then send the bag to Vanuatu.

Somewhere out there, there's a little kid in the South Pacific wearing a Ben Sherman shirt that his dad brought home from my luggage.
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

JFKspotter

Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:58 am

As someone else mentioned, some larger airports have fully automated facilities where machines read the barcodes on the tags and route the bags wherever they need to go.

At other airports, it's done manually. You mentioned the 'Hot' bags. Most US airline tags will either be a 'city', 'hot' or 'cold'. City is a bag going straight to where the flight is going. Hot and cold are bags that are connecting onto another flight, depending on the amount of time between flights. Hot bags are usually loaded separately and are the last ones loaded onto the flight so that they are the first ones off at the destination and they can make the connecting flights.

In addition, there's also interline bags, when you fly one leg on one airline and the next on another. These are also specially tagged so they can be routed to the different airline's facility.

Bags are usually scanned for tracking purposes in case they get 'misrouted' (lost).

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:03 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 2):
The complexity of such a system is mind boggling. Even if the agents load the bags on the belt facing roughly the same way, the barcode scanner must have to be able to cope with all sorts of angles and obscured labels. I can't help imagine that there must be human oversight of this system for when it chokes.

I agree that it is pretty mind boggling.

Those Germans, with customary efficiency, pull it off. As far as scanning, I saw a film clip where it was obvious it was solved with the brute force approach. A whole bunch of scanners (they're pretty cheap after all) arrayed all around the belt to catch every angle.

Those belts move fast too! None of this baggage carousel lethargy.

Of course there's human oversight, but "off system" if you will. In the very rare case the scanners missed or the tag was missing, that bag was simply routed to a bin for human sorting.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

nyc2theworld

Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:55 pm

I guess this begs the question if FRA could pull fully automated baggage handling; why couldn't DEN do it?
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

PHLapproach

Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:22 pm

I can try explain the way we do it in Philly - Which is very similar to the way you explained how you think ATL does it. Which of course is not in the least bit automated like the other guys posting had been talking about.

We have two types or bag runners:

ABR - Mainline/ Intl
CABR - Express

Each runner will print out a paper breaking down all the bags that they are expecting off the flight. You can break it down in many ways. Gate, Dep Time, City etc.

Just like jfkspotter mentioned, we have primarily hot and cold bags. Domestic and Express - if it's under 60 mins from dep you run it straight to the gate the same goes for Intl flight 75 mins before flight departs. If the bag runner is smart enough.. or isn't lazy. Then when you get your printout you should mark the flights that will be hot and the bags that would be cold so that you would know what gates to hit first.

For express flights I would heavily rely on the a/c registration printed next to the flight - Since usually at F they seemed to change gates alot. So instead of running around and looking at the gates to drop the bags off I would look for a particular aircraft and that worked everytime.

For domestic I would just rely on the gate to be the same as whats on the paper and about 98% of the time it was the printed gate.

As for cold bags - Domestic bags would just go to the "Cold Belt" outside between B/C. Intl would go to the Cold Belt on the west side of A-West just outside under A18. Express would be put on one of a series of bag carts setup on the North perimeter of the F ramp. One is labeled for each city that Air Wisconsin flies to. So you would just put say a TYS bag right in the TYS cart and so on. Then when the flight is close to departure they go over to this "Cold Belt" - It's merely a cart staging area and hook up to the labeled cart and bring it to the gate.

I think I've pretty much covered everything...?

Ed

Pihero

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:15 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 4):
Those Germans, with customary efficiency, pull it off.

Pretty much valid for most of continental Europe airports, I'd say.
Under the passengers' concourse in a terminal building, you have miles of belts, automatic gates to route the luggage to their loading gate.
Each bag bar code tag triggers the opening/closing of a "door" on its way so, after a few branchings it arrives into a "sorter" which sends it into a particular container (depending on its weight, so that the bags weight repartition correctly follows the weight/balance that the flight supervisor has decided on).
There is no need for a "hot" tag as the system is capable of managing a 25 min treatment of luggage. On delayed flights into a correspondence, some vehicles would fetch pax and their luggage to the waiting airplane. Easy, as they have a computerised sheet indicating in which container the bags are in. A short haul to long haul "transit" can be achieved in 25 min.
Contrail designer

Spruit

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 1):
The other extreme is FRA, where luggage goes into the system and automatic conveyors sort and transport it to the right connecting gate/luggage claim

I've seen a documentary about FRA baggage handling systems on the discovery channel and it's very impressive!

Spru!
E=Mc2

davescj

Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:23 pm

Quoting NYC2theworld (Reply 5):
I guess this begs the question if FRA could pull fully automated baggage handling; why couldn't DEN do it?

Look at all the problems DEN airport had...this is the least of them. Sides, FRA has German engineering and precision as expectation......we're more laid back in the states.

What I dont' understand, is that in ATL, when a flt to DEN was cancelled due to a strorm.....we waited 4 hours to get bags back....why not send them up as arriving bags and be done with it??????????  banghead   grumpy 
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

SailorOrion

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:32 pm

Some data on the automatic luggage handling systems in MUC:

Terminal 1: total length: 18km, 19200 bags per hour.
Terminal 2: total length: 40km, 14400 bags per hour (afaik this figure has been increased meanwhile).

I've taken a tour of the T2 luggage handling system, and it is simply stunning. 100% luggage checking in three different levels of security, self-learning pathfinding for bags, etc etc etc. The guide told us that a suitcase gets through the system in 11 minutes.

SailorOrion

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 9):
Quoting NYC2theworld (Reply 5):

Look at all the problems DEN airport had...this is the least of them. Sides, FRA has German engineering and precision as expectation......we're more laid back in the states.

Quoting Pihero (Reply 7):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 4):
Those Germans, with customary efficiency, pull it off.

Pretty much valid for most of continental Europe airports, I'd say.

German efficiency has something to do with it, but I say this half in jest of course.

As Pihero and Davescj hint at, Europe and the US are different. I will speculate that there arethree factors are at work here.

1. Labor costs are way lower in the US, so in many cases an automated system in Europe will be a human driven system in the US.
2. The large Eurohubs have a very high percentage of connecting flights with lots of connecting luggage. In the US, this is less of a factor. The large hubs such as ORD have connecting flights, but not as much hold luggage. So it's simply a matter of survival.
3. Eurohubs tend to have different ownership structures. There is no "LH terminal" in the same way there is an "AA terminal" at JFK. At many large US airports, the terminals are discrete structures. At places like CDG, MUC and FRA, the airport as a whole is the primary system. It is not a somewhat haphazard collection of terminals located at the same airfield.

The technical difficulties are well understood. Building the system is no problem. It's a question of making the initial investment and maintaining good efficiency. The "German mentality" ("Ordnung muss sein") has something to do with it, but in the end it's all a matter of economics.

twal1011727

Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting Evan767 (Thread starter):
I know that Delta stamps their baggage tags with the words HOT if you have under an hour connection. Do the HOT bags go on a seperate cart while, other bags sit their at the arriving plane, waiting to go on another cart later?

Do ramp agents have scanners to detect what gate the bags need to go to, or do they just glance at the bag tag and figure it out themselves?

Deltas baggage system basically divides their bags into types : DB / CB / IB / OB / LB / THRU
(other airlines are probably the same)
DB - (Delta bag) Delta online bags (from 1 Delta mianline flt to another)
CB - (Connection bag) Delta connection bags ( goes to an regional jet flight)
IB - (International bag)Delta international flight
OB - (Other airline bag) Another airline
LB - (Local bag) Terminating flight (say your were staying in ATL)
THRU - for a flight that goes thru on the same flight. (MCO-ATL-EWR checked in at MCO going thru ATL on to EWR)

Baggage tug drivers are assigned to certain zones of the terminals.(Somebody will speak up to clarify their areas of operations) They also have monitors on the tugs
so they can find out where their bags go to. Delta also has a down-line connection list per inbound flt
that also has bag counts so they know how many bags they are to pickup per aircraft.

ATL does not have an underground baggage sort that I know of so thats why there is an endless stream of tugs
cruising around ATL.

The HOT bags are flight connections less than (now) an hour and where usually confined to DB type bags.

The loading strategy of Delta is to load DBs by themselves, IB / OB / CBs also by themselves and LBs alone
then segregate HOTS so they can be quickly unloaded to get them on their way A.S.A.P.

Just in the last week, Delta revised their bag types .... all the type bags are they same, but they are now
either HOT/COLD/LOCALS/THRU The hot bags will now include any type bag (DB/CB/IB/OB,)
where they used to be only DB bags, with less than 1 hour connection time.
The COLDs are the rest of the bags with more than 1 hour connection time. Locals and thru didn't change.

I believe they did this because the CB bags were not getting over to the RJ ramps in enough time to connect.

Oh....this is for narrowbody A/C only.....Container A/C use the same principle but the loading is different.

Anybodies help in any errors I have will be appreciated and are encouraged...

THX KD

US AIRWAYS

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:05 am

Quoting PHLapproach (Reply 6):

Man, I remember when we first took over running the ABR for Express. What a mess considering when the weather was bad they were always delayed. I remember trying to get as many bags as possible to thecold belts considering the entire bin off a CRJ would all be ABR bags if you had something come in around 6 or 7-ish. The worst was picking up a ton of bags at like F36 and having to run them to make an Int'l flight going out at A18 within 20 minutes, all the while having to dodge buses, fuel trucks, other tugs, as well as inbound & outbound aircraft that would all be traveling/crossing the outer road. It was definitley fun though for the 2 years though!
Go Eagles!

mayhem

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:29 pm

http://travel.howstuffworks.com/baggage-handling.htm

This is quite interesting to read..
I can tell you a bit more on BRU, but will do that later as now i have to go and visit AMS baggage handling dept! I'll inform you on both those tomorrow  Wink

PHLapproach

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:32 pm

Quoting US Airways (Reply 13):
The worst was picking up a ton of bags at like F36 and having to run them to make an Int'l flight going out at A18 within 20 minutes, all the while having to dodge buses, fuel trucks, other tugs, as well as inbound & outbound aircraft that would all be traveling/crossing the outer road. It was definitley fun though for the 2 years though!

Oh yea, thats the haul!!! But it's so much fun dodging everything! Im Intl so I don't get to run bags anymore  Sad

phxplanes

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:46 pm

Well I will explain how we do it in for US in PHX, its similar to PHLapproach since we work for the same company.

There are people that there only job is to run connecting bags. At the beginning of those peoples shift they are assigned certain flights to do. About 30 minutes before the flight is supposed to arrive dispatch or yourself personally prints out what we call a web gem. It is a list of all the destinations of the bags that are coming off your flight. So the flight comes in and you unload all the connecting bags and separate them out in your carts and then run them. Usually you try to go in order from gate to gate but if you have some hot bags you usually take those first or call a hot runner whose job is to take hot bags to there gates. When you are done with your run and have bags that are leaving in more then a couple hours you take them to transfer point or t-point. These people sort the bags out and take them to the gate about 45 minutes before departure.

One nice thing in PHX is the flight information display screens (fid) screens we have. Each gate has its own screen that gives information on the arrival and departure. FLT #, time, AC # etc.
T
his is the best picture I could find that shows the screens, if you click on it you can see it a little better.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Kirouac

Tomorrow at work I will try to get our print off of what the connects runners use and scan it so you guys can see what it looks like.

Hope that helps a little with your question

Tristarsteve

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:39 pm

We don't do a lot of connections here, as it is not a hub, but would like to comment that the biggest improvement in the last few years was the Bingo card. When a container is loaded in the baggage hall every bag that goes in the container is listed on a card. Being a small station we do it manually by taking a label off the bag tag and fixing it on the Bingo card. Now when we get a missing passenger at the gate, we just look at the bingo cards and can see which container their bag is in, and when it was loaded.
We have had 100pc bag reconcilliation for as long as I can remember, and in the old days, a missing pax quite often meant a pax bag search, where all the pax go off and identify their bag. I haven't seen this happen for a couple of years now.
Another big help is the strict closing of check in at -30mins. After your bag is checked in it must go down the belt to the baggage room where it is X rayed before being loaded in the container. All locally checked in bags are loaded straight away, but bags for transfer passengers are held until the pax has actually boarded the flight before they are loaded. The check in system will identify how many bags should be loaded on the flight. The loaders on the ramp count the bags into the aircraft, and the two figures will match. If there is a discrepancy it is investigated. If one or two bags are missing this is usually down to baby strollers that have been tagged and carried on board, but if we load one bag too many, the aircraft does not depart until the discrepancy is rectified. This can usually be done by checking the computor bag record, then you can spot a check in error, or maybe a rush bag that has been counted by mistake. ( a rush bag is a bag that missed its original flight and is now flying unaccompanied.)

TheCol

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:21 pm

The main source of baggage identification for ground agents are the long bag tags, which you probably already know of. The bag tags have the three letter code(s) of the airport(s) of departure and destination, alongside each flight number. The tags also include each passenger's name, and a barcode for scanning digitally. Usually, from that point, each airline has this similar system of baggage segregation/organization in the bagroom and on the aircraft:

a) Bags all going to one destination are loaded together into a cart/bin or group of carts/bins and into a section of a hold on the aircraft.

b) Bags that have to connect, in under two hours upon arrival ("Hot"), from a common destination are usually all loaded together into another cart/bin or another group of carts/bins and into another section of a hold on the aircraft.

c) Bags that have to connect, in over two hours upon arrival ("Cold"), to other flights from a common destination are loaded into another cart/bin or group of carts/bins, separate from a) and b), and into another section of a hold in the aircraft.

Note: Baggage loads and the total weight balance of the aircraft have to be factored into the loading process. Sometimes it's necessary for different groups of bags to share the same section of a hold, or to be split up between holds.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

mayhem

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:39 am

Could anybody clarify the absence of a central place where transfer bags go through in the US? Over here in BRU tail-to-tail transfers are very limited.

When pax check-in the bag goes down to the baggageroom directly (unless it's odd sized, then a worker, often called tubber, comes and get the bag manually) via the belts. The bag gets it's tag scanned through a scanner that scans in some 8 (not quite sure on that number) angles. So it's really hard to not scan, unless the tag is damaged. If the scan is correct, than the bag gets on the mainsorter which knows the exact location of the bag on the belt. This mainsorter goes round and round and has numerous chutes down which it can drop the bag. Each chute represents a category of bags, for smaller flights, one chute is enough. For other flights there is a different chute for the C and/or the connex, o&d and other categories of bags. The mainsorter passes with the bag by the chute, and drops it at the correct chute.
If a tag can't get scanned, the mainsorter kicks it out and it has to be scanned manual. If there is no tag at all, it has to go to Lost and found. Bags that arrived too early (because the flight's chute isn't open yet, get put aside.
Along this way there is en ingenious security system that scans the bags. For security reasons i can't go into detail here.

Incoming bags are directed to either a belt that leads them back into the mainsorter (connex bags) or onto different belts that lead them up towards arrivals.

The main difference that i see here, is that all bags pass through the baggageroom, unless they are on a very very tight connection, which doesn't seem to be the case in the US.

Can someone also explain me how and where they load those huge trucks which i see at JFK with ULD's on? In Europe we mostly see those tugs with dollies behind, but never any highway trucks.
If anyone could give me more info on baggage handling around the globe (different systems) feel free to PM or e-mail me, or post it here.

I have a cool pdf on AMS ground handling too, as it is more complex than BRU. Can i attach files here?

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting Mayhem (Reply 19):
Could anybody clarify the absence of a central place where transfer bags go through in the US? Over here in BRU tail-to-tail transfers are very limited.

1. Absence in the US of (as much) central control over airport infrastructure. This is due to many things, from politics to ownership.
2. Higher labor costs in Europe make automated systems more economically viable.
3. Lower volume of connecting luggage (not connecting pax, luggage) at most US airports compared to the mighty Eurohubs. Your example of JFK is a case in point. Lots of O&D traffic.

LongbowPilot

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:12 am

I used to work in ATL for DL as a Bag Runner.

When a flight is due to arrive, we have a dispatcher who sits in a office and monitors the flights inbound to our area. In ATL it is broken down in to areas. I was assigned to B North, which is the gates on the north side of the B Concourse. Within that area we have 4 subareas, so each area is about 3-6 gates. This agent is one of the area Baggage Runners with experiance, and prior to the flight arrive the download the baggage manifest and break it down to assign to drivers.

Depending on the load coming in, can require as much as little as 1 - 5 bag runners. One is always the Local Runner, self explanatory. There was a designated CB runner who would handle half the areas worth of gates delivering CBs and OBs to their required gates. The rest of the runners are assigned by the dispatcher, at the time I was there, through a tablet PC mounted on our bag tugs, which allowed us to be tasked quickly without having to return to the office, and also enabled us to get up to date flight information, delayed departures, gate changes, or next flight.

The subarea dispatcher will break down the DBs, or I would say in the case of Hot and Cold Baggage, into areas that are supposed to make it an efficient transfer of luggage. So when the plane comes in a driver might be assigned to pick up destinations due to depart out of the A South Concourse, or if there were an exceptional amount of luggage, might break it down further and assign someone to handle a group, or A South Even Gates. Again depending on the load, amount of baggage, and destinations dictates the break down.

Then finally you have that poor sap stuck with IBs and it can be a wretched curse. Why you may ask? Because Internationals tend to be the most obnoxiously sized and weights. Talk about back breaking, and when you finally offload the flight you take it to the International Concourse, and depending on flight timing, you may roll it up to the gate and deposit them in a Container, pull one of the stickers, or you may have to take them to the dungeon below and deposit them on the international sorting belt, where the computers will distribute them for the next flight.

I hope this is still accurate, I have not been an ACTIVE employee for 5 years. Wow, what a long time ago.

-Attack

musapapaya

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:48 am

In HKG, they use RFID to help routing of baggage too.
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

mayhem

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:21 am

Longbowpilot, interesting post. How many bags do you pick up on average then? Are you all driving around with bagcarts behind you tug? And for tail-to-tail bags for containerised flights, you put them in containers at the gate?
When exactly do you have to take them to the "dungeon"? There is some sort of centralised location for the international flights?

Thanks!

Musapapaya, RFID on the baglabels?bagcarts?ULD's?mainsorters? thx

musapapaya

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:51 am

They stick an RFID label on the baggage themselves and i believe it provides signals for the belt to assign the correct baggage to the correct place?

Starlionblue

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:56 am

Quoting Musapapaya (Reply 24):
They stick an RFID label on the baggage themselves and i believe it provides signals for the belt to assign the correct baggage to the correct place?

Yes. The principle is just like automatic barcode scanning, but probably more reliable. So luggage would automatically be routed through switches in the belts activated by the RFID.

mayhem

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:27 am

Oh, i had heard of the possibility, but never thought it was already in use because of the cost of RFID tags. Those are disposable (passive) tags then i suppose? And the bag still has a tag too then?

Starlionblue

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting Mayhem (Reply 26):
Oh, i had heard of the possibility, but never thought it was already in use because of the cost of RFID tags.

I don't know the cost of the tags, but it must be pretty low. Also, think of the cost of 100 bags that arrived at the wrong destination.

LongbowPilot

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting Mayhem (Reply 23):
How many bags do you pick up on average then? Are you all driving around with bagcarts behind you tug? And for tail-to-tail bags for containerised flights, you put them in containers at the gate?
When exactly do you have to take them to the "dungeon"? There is some sort of centralised location for the international flights?

The amount of baggage picked up was dependent. Could be a couple of Local Bags or two full bag carts of skis and suitcases to DEN. Yes the standard Bag Transfer Driver had on cart in tow, but if there were groups we could always grab another cart, or if container bags going on Widebodies, or grab a grouped destination container off a widebody and take it to the gate where it is either off loaded or reloaded as is.

ATLs international concourse is E. That is where all international flights arrive, and 99% international flights depart. Depending on departure times of flights, basically if the flight was at the gate you would take it there and hand the bag over to the rampers. If the flight was not for hours, then you would take them to the dungeon, and place it in the system of conveyers for sorting.

-Attack

musapapaya

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:12 pm

Next time when you go through HKG u will find a yellow tag on your luggage. Also similar stuff is used in shops as anti-theft systems.