Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GARUDAROD
Topic Author

Is Clear Air Turbulence Related To Gas Bubbles?

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:56 am

Was watching a very interesting program on the Science Channel for National Geographic. The program itself was about the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle, in particular the disapperance of 5 Navy Avengers in 1945 and a 500ft freighter in 1963. The program mentioned that there is a very large methane gas field off the coast of Florida, so large in fact, that it could power all of the United States for 70 years. This methane field is helped out by what are called seeps or vents in the earth's crust that vent gas into the
ocean. They examined in quite remarkable detail how a large escape of gas at one time would create a bubble or bubbles that could swamp or sink a large ship and could explain the significance of "Rogue Waves". They did tests on a 900ft replica freighter and it was sunk in 3 seconds with a resulting wave of 120ft high. This could explain how ships have for years
simply vanished into "holes in the ocean" with no explanation. Now, there have been several incidents lately of Clear Air Turbulence and while the captains dont like to use the term, each has mentioned it was like the airplane hit a "hole in the air". The National Geographic show also did a test on the effects of the gas bubbles after release from the ocean, on a 737 replicating the flight path of the lost Navy flyers. The results were quite similiar to the descriptions of what happened to the planes involved in Clear Air Turbulence. My theory is this, they proved that Methane or Air is less dense than the surrounding atmosphere. Is it possible that Clear Air Turbulence is simply the release of a huge amount of gas from underneath the Earth and/or oceans??? It has to rise somewhere, but how high is a question. Wouldn't be great if the infa-red satellites could be used to scope the oceans for noticeable rises in temperature, which might signify a huge
release of gas or air from underground vents, which then could be passed onto ships and aircraft in the area to be aware of rogue waves and the possibility of CAT???? It seems to me there could be a lot of scientific investigation that could corrolate the build up of methane within the planet and its release and the dangers that occur from it.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

ArmitageShanks

RE: Is Clear Air Turbulence Related To Gas Bubbles?

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:10 am

While I can see it working in theory, the diffusion of the gas at altitude and the lack of engine troubles associated with CAT would be my arguments against.

tdscanuck

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:12 am

Quoting GARUDAROD (Thread starter):
Is it possible that Clear Air Turbulence is simply the release of a huge amount of gas from underneath the Earth and/or oceans???

If you had a high enough methane concentration to produce a noticeable change in density (i.e. lift), I strongly suspect the engines would go nuts from lack of oxygen.

Tom.

speedracer1407

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 2):
If you had a high enough methane concentration to produce a noticeable change in density (i.e. lift), I strongly suspect the engines would go nuts from lack of oxygen.

And such a huge eruption of methane would certainly have an effect on nearby population. I'm reminded of the rare limnic eruptions in which massive quantities of CO2 erupt from lakes that store dissolved CO2 in their cold, high pressure depths (usually over volcanically active areas). A few of these lakes exist in Africa, and massive gaseous eruptions have asphyxiated whole villages.

I suspect that if gaseous eruptions were responsible for the CAT that happens relatively frequently all over the world, we'd have a much, much larger problem than a few bumps in the air.
Dassault Mercure: the plane that has Boeing and Airbus shaking in their boots.

soon7x7

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:02 pm

A lab test would prove the methane theory correct but clear air tubulence is nothing more than just that. CLEAR AIR TURBULENCE. Its caused by air masses trying to equalize in temperature and pressure, (high to low) thats what causes wind ...also jet streams may bisect fairly stable air, it's where in an aircraft when you transition from one stable air mass to one that is barrelling along at 50-150 kts...your in for a rough ride. The jet stream is a freight train of moving air and spins off high and low pressure and meanders in a wave like pattern in the northern hemisphere and in the southern as well. The wave like pattern is called ROSBY WAVES. Also some clear air trubulance is the result of travelling through the wake of another aircraft at altitude (but they won't tell you that). The general idea in moving air is that hot rises...cools off, becomes denser and heavier and falls towards the surface. Some days are worse than others. If you recall last year the BA 777 short hard landing at LHR was partially blamed on having flown through (at altitude) one of the coldest airmasses in recent history and forcing large transport planes to reduce their altitude to 25k ft to prevent the fuel from freezing. Visualize a big pot of boiling water...hot water rises...cools and sinks....thats why when the boiling is well along the water appears to be rolling. the atmosphere does the same thing. On rough days if you could SEE THE AIR...you would probably choose not to fly....unless your a glider pilot.