Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TLHFLA
Topic Author

Do The Airlines Ever Issue Internal Groundstops?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:41 pm

ATL is my home airport so needless to say I have seen my fair share of groundstops. I was wondering if airlines have any part in groundstops or if it's always controlled by the FAA. I have had quite a few groundstops when flying TPA-ATL where we will taxi out then the captain informs us we have to hold to takeoff until cleared. Sometimes I wonder if it's the airline (usually Delta for me) trying to be proactive and asking certain flights to hold so that volume doesn't increase to the point where the FAA starts issuing them. It would make sense to hold flights closer to ATL since they are not already airbone. I was always under the impression that the FAA is always calling the shots with these, but was curious if the airlines at larger hubs have and use the ability to take proactive measures.
Bill in ATL

goboeing

RE: Do The Airlines Ever Issue Internal Groundstops?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:50 pm

A few times on the OIS website I have seen things that must have been called in by the airline and merely posted by the FAA for controllers to work with.

For example one time CLE was groundstopped. It was CAL and affiliates only and it said "CAL BAGGAGE AREA FLOODED." There was a water leak.

N312RC

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:10 pm

US Airways used to ground stop itself in PHL due to extreme ramp congestion in times of IROP. Don't know if that's still the case.

roseflyer

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:29 pm

They can suspend operations on their own. Usually it is due to ramp congestion, but can be done before an impending storm, if storm conditions are bad, strikes, or terminal conditions.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

BigSaabowski

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:15 am

As GoBoeing said, the OIS website will have a list of many of these internal groundstops. Delta actually had a Ground Delay Program posted this week on that site for DCA. It was assigning EDCT times to all DL and DL connection aircraft inbound to DCA via the FAA (due to gate availability and weather).

AAR90

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:20 am

At AA it is known as "Company Arrival Control" or CACD (delays). Best described as follows....

The purpose of the program is to prevent overlapping complexes and increased congestion. SOC, after consulting with station management, will implement the CAC program. The Dispatcher will issue a specific departure time for
flights being delayed and confirm this revised departure time with the station by telephone.

Yes I have encountered it but not all that often.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

PGNCS

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:37 am

Quoting AAR90 (Reply 5):
At AA it is known as "Company Arrival Control" or CACD (delays). Best described as follows....

The purpose of the program is to prevent overlapping complexes and increased congestion. SOC, after consulting with station management, will implement the CAC program. The Dispatcher will issue a specific departure time for
flights being delayed and confirm this revised departure time with the station by telephone.

Yes I have encountered it but not all that often.

I think AAR90 explained it well. In my experience it's normally the result of a large weather system moving across a hub (especially at a peak time.) Different companies call it different things, but now especially with the 3 hour rule from the DOT companies carefully watch ground delays on both ends of a flight and will delay or cancel flights if necessary. This is coordinated by the dispatchers and it is not undertaken lightly. On the other hand it's a lot better than launching hundreds of planes to a hub and having them all divert for thunderstorms/snow/winds out of limits, etc.

But as to your original question: more often than not the FAA is making these calls, though they do have input from the airlines.

RJLover

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:53 am

A while back (within the last couple of years, though) QK issued a nationwide company GS due to issues with the dispatch system. After some things were sorted out, aircraft that already had their operational flight plans were allowed to depart, while any without (and they couldn't be issued) were cancelled.

Other then that, I don't think I've ever seen a ground stop issued solely by the company.

[Edited 2011-01-20 19:43:31]

IAHFLYR

Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:04 am

Most HUB airports largest operators will at times put a ground stop in place for their own flights due to ramp/gate congestion, it is not uncommon at all.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

josekmlb

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Quoting N312RC (Reply 2):
US Airways used to ground stop itself in PHL due to extreme ramp congestion in times of IROP. Don't know if that's still the case.

Yeah I seen that hold a ton of times working the ramp for Delta in the morning flights.