Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ColAvionLover
Topic Author

What Do Pilots Talk/do In Long-Haul Flights?

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:31 am

Hi again!

I was wondering at this while I was surfing at some in-flight cockpit photos in Airliners.net's database.
The thing is that, in long-haul flights, (also in short flights), there's a time when you have everything in the a/c checked and, simply, they have nothing to do. I would greatly appreciate the response of a pilot which have experimented it. What do they do/talk about? Airline-related topics, aviation industry topics or even political stuff?

Thanks for response.

Regards!
JDM's

chrisair

RE: What Do Pilots Talk/do In Long-Haul Flights?

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:20 am

Quoting ColAvionLover (Thread starter):
What do they do/talk about?

This video should give you an idea what some pilots do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIB4baOSd8

wilco737

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:24 am

Quoting ColAvionLover (Thread starter):
I would greatly appreciate the response of a pilot which have experimented it. What do they do/talk about? Airline-related topics, aviation industry topics or even political stuff?

Always depends on the other guy in the cockpit (in my case the Captain). SOme are talkative and you talk about a lot of topics. Usually you start to talk about the company (easiest topic) or about new airplanes, new route possibilities, oh and of course about rumours in the company.
Another hot topic is cars 
At the beginning you don't talk a lot about your private life as you don't know the other crew member very well: but after a couple of hours you get to know each other a little better and you talk about that as well.

wilco737

JRadier

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:53 am

Often used topic if you have nothing in common with the guy next to you on an oceanic crossing: whoever sees the first boat!

flybaurlax

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Jumpseating from SEA-ORD once the pilots and I had a 2 and a half hour discussion about "how p*ssy is never free." That was a laugh riot. It included topics from costs of dates, to some crazy pilot stories from back in the day.

One of the crazy stories was about how the captain had met a flight attendant from another airline at a hotel bar once, and he found out she had dental implants. The story behind the implants made the FO and I cry laughing. Apparently there was a whole goup of FAs and pilots in a hotel bar, and one pilot was able to get two of the FAs back to his hotel room. They were all messing around and the FA with the implants had tripped over something in the room and smashed her face into the dresser, knocking her front teeth out. There was no time to put clothes on during the panic and mayhem the ensued before the paramedics arrived. The pilot wrapped her up in a bed sheet, and blood dripped all over it. Apparently when the paramedics arrived it almost looked like she had been stabbed and was bleeding all over the sheet. They took her away wrapped up in the sheets on a stretcher out of the hotel, and it was quite a spectacle.

There were some more parts to the story that were inappropriate to tell, but that was the gist of it. The way he told it was hilarious, too.

On other flights I've jumpseated on, the pilots talked about golf for 2.5 hours, and swapped issues from a golf magazine. Those types of flights I spent either looking out the windows up front, or reading my books/magazine.

Like Wilco said, the majority of the time it starts out talking about rumors about the company, and policies, and other things company related, and then it goes from there.

For some of the ocean crossings, or flying over the ocean for a few hours, say to Hawaii, I know some pilots use the WX radar and try to pick up ships on the surface, and then act like they're bombing them.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

airportugal310

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Quoting flybaurlax (Reply 4):
For some of the ocean crossings, or flying over the ocean for a few hours, say to Hawaii, I know some pilots use the WX radar and try to pick up ships on the surface, and then act like they're bombing them.

HAHAHA boredom knows no bounds  
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

YWG

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Women are a big topic (assuming you and the other guy are seeing eye to eye). The "who would you rather?" game is a big one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfKyHvaAZxA
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

BMI727

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Apparently when the paramedics arrived it almost looked like she had been stabbed and was bleeding all over the sheet. They took her away wrapped up in the sheets on a stretcher out of the hotel, and it was quite a spectacle.

Did the guy end up sleeping with the other one?

I have heard of guys using the NDB/ADF to tune in AM radio stations, especially at night.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

flybaurlax

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 7):
Did the guy end up sleeping with the other one?

I don't recall, sorry.

I have heard of guys using the NDB/ADF to tune in AM radio stations, especially at night.

I was on a flight where the captain did that too. I think the AM station was broadcasting from some hillbilly basement. It was amusing for about 5 minutes.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

N243NW

Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:07 am

I've used the ADF receivers to pick up everything from local news to St. Louis Blues hockey to Radio Disney. It comes in handy on long night flights, especially when going VFR with no one to talk to.

I didn't hear it in the cockpit, but a memorable quote from our captain on the crew van: "Remember kids...the definition of safe sex: don't give her your real name!" Can't say I completely approve of the mantra, but it sure was funny.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

DH106

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:50 am

Back in the early 90's, way before 9/11 closed down the cockpit completely to passengers, I was dating a F/A and she got me a couple of hours in the jumpseat of a 757 enroute from the UK to Paphos (Cyprus) where we were going for a week's holiday. Not really a long haul flight - but something like 5hrs.

The F/O was the handling pilot, a guy younger than myself (looked mid-late 20's) but the captain I'll always remember was a real character telling many stories in between showing me the various systems of the 757.
Anyway, towards the end of the cruise & approaching the time I'd have to return to my seat, the captain is looking at the chart / plate of Paphos airport - which at this time had just a single 8000' runway with no parallel taxiway, just a single turnoff onto the apron at the runway midpoint. The captain's discussing the approach & landing with the F/O, and before I know it the captain reaches into his shirt pocket pulls out a £10 note & slaps it down on the center console and says to the F/O (paraphrasing the conversation from memory) "betcha can't put it down & turn off WITHOUT a backtrack". F/O: "No problem, doddle - you're on".
So I went back to my seat knowing this probably wasn't gonna be a "grease it on and brake gently" type landing.
The F/O won his £10, no backtrack required  
...I watched c-beams glitter in the dark by the Tanhauser Gate....

ptrjong

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 am

and then act like they're bombing them.

In what sense? Changing course a little?
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

DashTrash

Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Quoting DH106 (Reply 10):
The captain's discussing the approach & landing with the F/O, and before I know it the captain reaches into his shirt pocket pulls out a £10 note & slaps it down on the center console and says to the F/O (paraphrasing the conversation from memory) "betcha can't put it down & turn off WITHOUT a backtrack". F/O: "No problem, doddle - you're on".

We did something like that too. Used to put a penny on the face of an engine gauge (they're all the same size and the sill on it is the same width as a penny. If you knock it off on landing you buy the beer that night time permitting.

Another one that'll come up one of these days was to decide who would fly the first leg of a trip. I'd always ask the other guy "even or odd". When he picked, I'd spin the altitude preselect and that would decide who flew the first leg. Alternate legs or R/Ts after that.

pilotpip

Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:54 pm

I don't talk religion or politics. It gets too heated for two people locked into a small space. After that, it's all fair game. It really depends on the person I'm flying with. Hobbies, college and pro sports, cars, boats and family are pretty regular topics.

I might have to change my stance on sports. That gets pretty passionate too  
DMI

c5load

Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:21 pm

What about counting switches in the cockpit? Or finding how many times a word appears on a gauge, tab, dial, etc.
"But this airplane has 4 engines, it's an entirely different kind of flying! Altogether"

ILUV767

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:06 pm

I have a contest with my FOs to find all of the letters in the cockpit...it took me 2.5 years to find the letter "J."

DashTrash

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Quoting c5load (Reply 14):
What about counting switches in the cockpit? Or finding how many times a word appears on a gauge, tab, dial, etc.

Flew with a guy who pulled all the rows of caution panel lights off the Dash 8. They all have pins in the back of them so they can't go back on the wrong row. Legend had it someone did that when the airplanes were new and before those pins were installed. The guy couldn't get them all back on in the right place and the airline had to cancel a flight while maintenance took care of it. Can't verify that story though.

ColAvionLover
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Haha...Thanks for all your responses! I really enjoyed it! Specially this reply:

Regards!
JDM's

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 pm

On a late night ferry flight YYZ - CBG I woke up from a nap about six hours after takeoff, after making a pot of coffee I visited the flight station. This is what I found: flight engineer asleep with is head on his table, pilot asleep in his seat with his head against the side window, and the co-pilot wide awake, reading a magazine!

FriendlySkiesUK

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 18):
On a late night ferry flight YYZ - CBG I woke up from a nap about six hours after takeoff, after making a pot of coffee I visited the flight station. This is what I found: flight engineer asleep with is head on his table, pilot asleep in his seat with his head against the side window, and the co-pilot wide awake, reading a magazine!

I have never seen pilots sleeping when they are at their stations (I am sure it happens – it must do right?)

Normally the pilots on my airline will chat about sport, cars, woman (a lot of time is spent talking about how their wives/girlfriends burn thought their salary).

You can always tell when the pilots don’t have too much in common – the flight deck is silent on the other hand you can tell when they are getting on as you can hear the laughter with the FD door closed...

You of course see the odd book/magazine. Some pilots play cards – hell when they get really bored I have even caught them playing ‘I spy with my little eye’.
Katie

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:06 am

Depends on the Individuals........
Mostly its Company talk on future plans & the usual crib about someone in the organisation.
Personal life talk.
The political situation.

I guess common on long flights........hopefully the F/O did not find the magazine boring ........ else it require a noise to wake them all up......
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

NZ747

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:24 am

Quoting friendlyskiesuk (Reply 19):
I have never seen pilots sleeping when they are at their stations (I am sure it happens – it must do right?)

Most airlines allow what is deemed 'controlled rest', where one pilot is having a nap while the other pilot monitors during the cruise. The airline I work for allows it and it is very useful when operating a long two crew flight at night. It is sort of an unspoken accepted procedure. A quick power nap can do wonders for your performance later in the flight when you need it.

Topics that we discuss, mostly company grumbles, news, rumors about staff (yes pilots are gossip queens), fleet problems, ongoing maintenance problems, etc. Followed by things like the latest technology (Ipad, apps etc), fishing, golf, cars, the hotel, any 'hotties' down the back, other jobs we might be interested in checking out, etc. Often when you fly with the same crew enough, you start to remember what they like to talk about and adapt.

26point2

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Quoting ILUV767 (Reply 15):
it took me 2.5 years to find the letter "J."

"Jump Seat"

FriendlySkiesUK

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Pilots seem to love to talk about food, ESP when they are hungry. Quite often the pilots will plan which places they are going to eat at so it's easier for them to 'pick' das females.

The pilots like gossip just as much as crew crew do - if not more if you ask me
Katie

ILUV767

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:15 am

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 22):
Quoting ILUV767 (Reply 15):
it took me 2.5 years to find the letter "J."

"Jump Seat"

I fly a Beech 1900 which doesnt have a cockpit jumpseat. Our jumpseat is seat 1A which has a headset jack. If we get line checked or observed, we're required to keep the cockpit door open. The "j" is on the instruction placard for the oxygen mask telling you to "adjust" the strap. I've spent many many flights looking for that letter and finally found it.

flybaurlax

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:10 am

Quoting friendlyskiesuk (Reply 23):
The pilots like gossip just as much as crew crew do - if not more if you ask me

I actually came to the conclusion that a lot of airline pilots are the whiniest b*tches about the slightest things going wrong. It was kind of comical. I'm not trying to attack anyone, I'm just saying what I observed. I truly respect what pilots have to endure in their lifestyle and profession.

A friend of mine who was jumpseating on a 737 once had the captain ask him if he was feeling OK and alert. My friend replied, "yeah, I'm alert, what's up?" The Capt then said as he put on his sunglasses, "I'm going to study the pressurization panel for about an hour." He then tilted the headrest back and looked up and over at the panel and proceeded to "study" it. I got a laugh out of that.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

airportugal310

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:00 am

Quoting flybaurlax (Reply 25):
A friend of mine who was jumpseating on a 737 once had the captain ask him if he was feeling OK and alert. My friend replied, "yeah, I'm alert, what's up?" The Capt then said as he put on his sunglasses, "I'm going to study the pressurization panel for about an hour." He then tilted the headrest back and looked up and over at the panel and proceeded to "study" it. I got a laugh out of that.

CVR studied...nothing procedurally found wrong...

Next...  
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

sandrozrh

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:52 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 2):
Another hot topic is cars

and women.

Quoting YWG (Reply 6):
The "who would you rather?" game is a big one too.

oh yes 

26point2

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:02 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 6):
The "who would you rather?" game is a big one too.

Mary Ann, of course.

shengzhurou

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:21 pm

one of the pilot i know told me that he learned how to speak Chinese on the flight deck during his years with BR.
Sheng Zhu Rou

comorin

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:51 pm

What if it is a mixed gender crew - where does that conversation go?

flybaurlax

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 30):

Food recipes if both pilots are dieting, or the conversation goes nowhere fast. That was my experience.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

SAAFNAV

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Had a moment like that yesterday with a lady nav...
Discreetly nudged the conversation in another direction.
CFI/Gr. III, L-382 Loadmaster, ex C-130B Navigator

flymia

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Guess they can always talk about airplanes.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

HAWK21M

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:24 am

Quoting shengzhurou (Reply 29):
one of the pilot i know told me that he learned how to speak Chinese on the flight deck during his years with BR.

I know a Brazilian P1 that learnt Hindi while flying with his F/Os.

PGNCS

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 pm

We normally limit our conversation to the intricacies of ops specs, Jeppesen depictions, and running sample performance problems.

imiakhtar

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:06 pm

Not sure what a Boeing pilot would do to pass his/her time. Airbus pilots however:

Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 33):

The problem is that many (if not most) don't really know much about airplanes. I was taken to lunch by the chief pilot of a major airline so I could explain the flight control system to him. He know what happen when he moved the controls, he didn't know what made it happen. This was a airplane he had been flying for almost twenty years.

HAWK21M

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Probably the talk is about the next Increment  

jetstar

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:01 am

Quoting c5load (Reply 14):

Guess you never flew a Lockheed JetStar, the letter "J" was all over the cockpit, LOL

In my JetStar flying days, a long haul trip was about 4 ½ hours, because after that time your better be on final approach and you will have all 4 fuel tank low fuel quantity lights on.

During these “long haul trips”, I would usually do the Jeppsen revisions for our on board set of Jeppsen’s, since we had every airport in the US with at least a 4000 foot runway, there were 5 binders full of Jep plates, plus another binder with all the enroute charts

Sometimes at night, I would change the burnt out bulbs in the back lit instrument panels, there was at least over a 150 of these #300 wheat bulbs in the cockpit and I would change at least 20 or more during the trip. We always carried a few boxes of these #300 bulbs with 10 bulbs in a box on the airplane, along with a selection of all the other bulbs used in the cockpit and cabin.

Since we were only a 3 pilot operation, I flew either with the Chief Pilot or our rated Captain, since we spent a lot of time together and really after a while you run out of subjects to talk about, especially when I was flying with the Chief pilot, who was the boss of the flight operation, you had to watch what you said, so basically I spent a lot of time scanning the instruments or looking out of the window.

Sometimes to kill time, we carried binoculars and a Rand McNally road atlas in the cockpit, so I would use the binoculars and the atlas to see what highway and city we were flying over.

JetStar

HAWK21M

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:29 am

Quoting jetstar (Reply 39):
Sometimes to kill time, we carried binoculars and a Rand McNally road atlas in the cockpit, so I would use the binoculars and the atlas to see what highway and city we were flying over.

What FL would that be.......

apodino

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:15 pm

I have actually jumpsat with all female cockpit crews before (And both were HOT too). Talking to them was a lot of fun, and we hit various topics, including an incident in MKE where the airport reported braking action fair when it was nil, and the airplane skidded off the runway.

Because I work as a dispatcher, I am asked if there are any good rumors coming out of HQ. The male pilots will ask me who the hot crew schedulers are, and sometimes we talk about things going on in the company or in the industry in general.

I was in a UA 777 jumpseat one time going from ORD-SEA and there was also a Fed up front, and he told us some crazy stories about the golden era of aviation when they would maneuver switches on the flight deck while an FA was using the lav, and it would actually get the FA to open the LAV door while still naked. I got a kick out of it.

Another interesting conversation was in a WN jumpseat one time. We were talking about the names of fixes throughout the country and some of the more interesting ones especially on STARs into some airports. He mentioned an arrival into OAK called the Panooche Arrival (I think that's what its called), and how one of the fixes is named BUSSH. What makes this funny is he said that Panooche is a spanish word for a certain part of the female anatomy. I got a chuckle out of that one.

jetstar

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:37 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 40):
Quoting jetstar (Reply 39):

Normal cruise altitudes, 350 or 370 or so. Obviously I could not read the road signs, but from the general outline of the towns and the interstate highways I was able to pinpoint what town we were over.

On the JetStar we did not have a cockpit door, only a cabin door so the cockpit is accessible from the cabin, one time we had a passenger come up to the cockpit while I was looking out the window with the binoculars so he asked me what I was doing. The captain I was flying with told the passenger with a straight face that’s how we navigate, one of the co-pilots jobs was to double check the onboard navigation systems by reading highway signs on the interstate to confirm our position. Then he started to laugh and told the passenger I was just sightseeing. We didn’t have to worry about anything, even the CEO of the company had seen me using the binoculars, I just told him I was sightseeing.

Another day in the life of a corporate pilot.

JetStar

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:59 am

Quoting JETSTAR (Reply 42):
The captain I was flying with told the passenger with a straight face that’s how we navigate, one of the co-pilots jobs was to double check the onboard navigation systems by reading highway signs on the interstate to confirm our position.

In 1956 in future brother-in-law flew my sisters Luscombe 8A from Ohio to California. US Highway 50 to St Louis then Route 66 the rest of the way. The transmit side of his radio went out in Oklahoma City and he could only receive the rest of the way to California. No problem, things were a lot simpler then.

Sancho99504

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:04 am

Quoting imiakhtar (Reply 36):

Hilarious..
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

pliersinsight

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:28 am

The scenario possibilities and cheesy one lines for trading are endless for that game.

I've heard, though never seen, that up until recent times that the cockpit is a treasure trove of porno magazines, or at at least pictures from porn mags cut out and stuck inside manuals.

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:46 am

Quoting friendlyskiesuk (Reply 19):

All the time. As explained above many companies even condone the practice officially.

Quoting 474218 (Reply 37):
Quoting flymia (Reply 33):

The problem is that many (if not most) don't really know much about airplanes.

So very true. Most pilots are into flying of course but the aircraft itself is not always an item of interest. A pilot friend of mine is way less interested in aircraft than I am. He knows all the operational stuff of course but he doesn't know trivia.

Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 45):
I've heard, though never seen, that up until recent times that the cockpit is a treasure trove of porno magazines, or at at least pictures from porn mags cut out and stuck inside manuals.

Magazines make good sun shades.  
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

lowrider

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:21 am

I am surprised no one has brought up two obvious topics of conversation:
1. Can a plane take off from a conveyor belt?
2. Snowglobes
Proud OOTSK member

don

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:40 pm

Bet on the what alphabet ATIS is going to be at the destination. Furthest one buys the beer,

Pilots talk about girls in the cockpit and talks about planes when with a girl.

FlyboyOz

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:26 am

What I have heard from the news

- Pilots talk about women and lifestyle
- Pilots talk about calculate flight time and work hour time
- Pilots talk about cars
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach